Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 320d

• 27-07-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm currently driving an astra H 1.6 08 model with 115bhp.

Fuel economy isn't great to be honest getting 9.7L/100km.

Looking into buying a 08+ BMW 320d this year.

My astra has 95k kilometres.

What do people think of this change ?

What should I pay?
    What should I watch out for?

Whats your opinion on drive quality of the 320d ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

1. What kind of driving do you do? City? Motorway? What mileage?
    2. Look up N47 Timing Chain
    3. I'd go E60 myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Sobanek wrote: »
    1. What kind of driving do you do? City? Motorway? What mileage?
    2. Look up N47 Timing Chain
    3. I'd go E60 myself.

I do a bit of both. I roughly do 15-20k a year.

I know they don't get a diesel if your mainly city driving but why ?

What downfalls come with driving a diesel in a city ?

I also really want the like the over taking tower and feel of a diesels pull.

My astra h has nice pull at lower speeds but runs out of safe over taking power when over 110.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesels are not designed for city driving and are not all that frugal around town either. They have things like DPFs, EGR, etc fitted to cut down on pollution but these can and do get clogged up when the car doesn't get driven long enough or the engine doesn't get warmed up enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

On top of that, in the case of 320ds built after September 2007, they have the infamous BMW timing chain problem. As already mentioned, google BMW N47 timing chain.

And the diesel 'pull' is a load of hocus, if you hold onto the gears longer in a petrol you'll find there's plenty of go, though obviously a 320d will be much faster as it's got at least 177 bhp to an Astra's 115. But a 320d is not faster because it's a diesel or because it's got the supposed 'low down shove'; it's faster 'cause it's got a considerably larger engine and a lot more horsepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 westhfra

First time poster. Hi, require advice/sugestions please.
    Im looking at 2 x 320d's and would like to hear from the members their opinions and if it is worth buying either one.

2004 - 320d - msport - 130k miles - showing age inside.
    2006 - 320d - auto - 180k miles - good condition inside.

Should I go with lower milage or newer model ?

A bit concerned about the high milage, apart from that lovely car.
    Will not spend more than 5,5 - 6 k.

I did see 318's/320's lower milage, however petrol (I will be doing quite a few miles per year)

appreciate your comments. Never driven a A4/Passat, but personally think they cannot compete (just my view)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

westhfra wrote: »
    First time poster. Hi, require advice/sugestions please.
    Im looking at 2 x 320d's and would like to hear from the members their opinions and if it is worth buying either one.

2004 - 320d - msport - 130k miles - showing age inside.
    2006 - 320d - auto - 180k miles - good condition inside.

Should I go with lower milage or newer model ?

A bit concerned about the high milage, apart from that lovely car.
    Will not spend more than 5,5 - 6 k.

I did see 318's/320's lower milage, however petrol (I will be doing quite a few miles per year)

appreciate your comments. Never driven a A4/Passat, but personally think they cannot compete (just my view)

With diesels, you have to expect higher mileages than petrol cars of the same age.

Focus more on service history and spec. Which car seems to have the better service history? Which car looks more neglected? Which car has a spec that you can sell on easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There is not a hope in hell id be spending that money on an e46, which im assuming the 04 is? Id be concerned about what exactly might need replacing or about to at that mileage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Join bmwhaus.ie lots of bmw heads on there to point you in the right direction as for which diesel you would be better off buying in the range

youd have to question if a few year newer petrol with a lot less miles would be the better option, the diesel with the age and mileage and potential problems will have to be given away when you are done with it....

Idbatterim wrote: »
    There is not a hope in hell id be spending that money on an e46, which im assuming the 04 is? Id be concerned about what exactly might need replacing or about to at that mileage...

You say that but I reckon that most people prefer E30 and E46 3 series exterior design over that of E36/E9x/F3x 3 series. For sure, in terms of engines and space, E9x and F3x cars trump E46 but for some people that's not the be all and end all.

For example, in the UK at least, the E46 M3 continues to hold its value really well. That may be because of the appeal of the exterior (over E93 and F3X M3 exterior) and the high-revving 6 cylinder engine.

We don't know the prices of the two cars mentioned here. There may be other reasons to rule out the E46.

• Advertisement

For example, in the UK at least, the E46 M3 continues to hold its value really well. That may be because of the appeal of the exterior (over E93 and F3X M3 exterior) and the high-revving 6 cylinder engine.

Now, I LOVE the E46 m3 and I drive an 03 325ci, see below! The coupes are gorgeous, but the saloons... I would take the E90 saloon over the E46 any day! My car and my bros car below, to prove Im putting my money where my mouth is... (Now the 5 series, E39 saloon, particularly the face lift and in m sport, drool!)

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36085
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99801

Depends on what you can get the E46 320d for, but given the looks, mileage and high asking prices they are off the wall IMO...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Now, I LOVE the E46 m3 and I drive an 03 325ci, see below! The coupes are gorgeous, but the saloons... I would take the E90 saloon over the E46 any day! My car and my bros car below, to prove Im putting my money where my mouth is... (Now the 5 series, E39 saloon, particularly the face lift and in m sport, drool!)

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36085
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99801

Depends on what you can get the E46 320d for, but given the looks, mileage and high asking prices they are off the wall IMO...

True, an E46 320d could be quite grim. An E46 330d or 330i in saloon, coupe, or convertible forms would be nicer in terms of spec and appeal.

Advertisement