Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing girlfriends kids name to mine

Options
  • 27-07-2014 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I don't want to get into the discussion if its right or wrong, I'm just wanting to know can it legally be done.

I've been with my girlfriend off and on for years and where now back together and are going to make a proper go of it this time. She has 4 kids ( 1 just a few weeks old) and the kids surname are all after hers but were wanting to know is it possible to change them all to mine even thou were not or wanting to get married. Even if I'm not down on the birth certs as the guaradin or father, is it possible to change the kids name to mine.

Someone mentioned to us that its straight forward and if she wanted to change the names to mini mouse, it can be done in a few weeks. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Are you the biological father?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,674 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This should help, you may need to get yourself down on the birth certs as the father as it requires consent of both parents...
    Changing the surname of a child

The surname of a child can be changed in the Register of Births but only in certain circumstances. However, the surname of a child can also be changed by deed poll or common usage. Children aged between 14 and 17 years can execute the Deed Poll themselves but need the consent of both parents. Where a child is under the age of 14 years, one of the child's parents must execute the Deed Poll with the consent of the other parent.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/problems_in_marriages_and_other_relationships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll.html

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

as above the biological father must give consent. In my experience it can be alot of hassle for the sake of a name assuming they are not yours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

as above the biological father must give consent. In my experience it can be alot of hassle for the sake of a name assuming they are not yours

What do you mean when you say alot of hassle

This should help, you may need to get yourself down on the birth certs as the father as it requires consent of both parents...

l]

What would the certain circumstances be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,674 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

duckcfc wrote: »

Probably means that if the kids are not yours the father of them would need to give his consent to have their surnames changed to yours. They would then need to be named on the birth certs as the father, they may for various reasons not want to do this.

depends on if your the father or not. Assuming you are not the hassle will depend on the relationship between the kids and their biological father.
    The other question must ask your self is , Do you think the children will want your surname?

Again based on the vague description , assume your already rocky relationship does not work out ( as you said you will give it a real good go ) that will have problems for the kids having a different surname to both their parents.
    Your family law solicitor should be able to provide you with info on previous cases of this sort.

as asked this depends on if you are the biological father, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A long drawn out court battle.

one other thing not mentioned is that if the biological father is not the kids legal guardian he may not be asked for consent. However he may take legal action under EU law to prevent this or have the name reverted to the original.

OP you mentioned you are not the guardian. If they are your children I would be getting guardianship tomorrow morning before worrying about names

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Are the children yours? Does your gf want to give them your name? Do you think it's wise if your relationship is so volatile to go changing the children's names? What if it's "off again" soon? Does she change their name back to hers again? How old are the children? How do they feel about having their names changed?

Birth certs can be changed in certain circumstances, if the parents get married and the child's surname is to be changed to the "marriage name". Or to add the father's name after the birth has been registered (I'm not exactly sure if the surname can be changed in that circumstance)

Have a look at the citizens information website, or call into a citizens advice centre.

Names can also be changed by common usage in Ireland, which means you just start using the name in school, at the doctors etc. After building up evidence of usage for a few years it can then be used on official documents such as passports etc.

edit: an easier, and possibly safer option (for the children) would be for you to change your name to that of your gf and the children.

edit: an easier, and possibly safer option (for the children) would be for you to change your name to that of your gf and the children.[/QUOTE]

excellent

Without going into to much detail, but there will never ever be a problem with a father coming in and nor wanting this done as there is no father down on birth cert or in contact or ever will be in contact. There will never be a problem with the kids either. Like I mentioned in the op, I don't want to talk about why or hoq or ids and buts, I just want to know can it be done, and even without my name on the cert.

the father consent will be requested though as this is part of the procedure

What if the father can't be found. For talks sake, what if she slept with someone at a concert all them times she was pregnant and couldn't locate the fathers again. Now I know its hypothetical but its possible. What would happen in the name change then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are you sure about this? AFAIK if the father if not married has very few rights to the children (assuming he has not been granted guardianship rights). In which case it is upto the mother. To answer the OPs question the mother can change her kids names easily enough if she wants to.

as far as i know your kinda stuck then, its similar when it comes to passport getting issued for a child where the father needs to consent/sign. its actually easier to get the passport tru a district court than have their names changed to yours without the fathers consent. That said it can be done though lenghty legal process but as i said before this could be very problimatic down the line for the kids. Best advice given here was change your name to your g/f and kids name.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? AFAIK if the father if not married has very few rights to the children (assuming he has not been granted guardianship rights). In which case it is upto the mother. To answer the OPs question the mother can change her kids names easily enough if she wants to.

thats correct to a degree but this can now be challenged under EU law as Ireland is the only country (i think) in the EU that has this draconian law regarding guardianship. The guardianship rule looks set to change very soon according to mary banotti ( read a piece by her recently )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

thats correct to a degree but this can now be challenged under EU law as Ireland is the only country (i think) in the EU that has this draconian law regarding guardianship. The guardianship rule looks set to change very soon according to mary banotti ( read a piece by her recently )
    Ah ok. But as the OP says it is unlikely to be challenged by the bio father in this case so a name change should be a pretty straight forward process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Can the pride of a man be changed?

I wouldn't go changing names of kids unless you have a very solid relationship with the mother and the kids. "On again, off again" does not fill me confidence. Easier to change your name OP, if you're going to "make a proper go of it this time".

Should this thread be moved to legal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If the birth cett for each child is blank were it says Fathers Name, then you and she can go together to your local registrars office and have your name added as father.
    As regards permission of the biological dad, we'll if he hasn't come forward by now to claim them, then that's just tough.
    The dad is whoever the mam says is the dad, as long as the guy agrees, unless some other guy comes forward looking for guardianship and willing to do DNA.
    BEWARE
    As soon as your name goes on there it can't be removed or changed again and if you split up she can per sue you for maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    If the birth cett for each child is blank were it says Fathers Name, then you and she can go together to your local registrars office and have your name added as father.
    As regards permission of the biological dad, we'll if he hasn't come forward by now to claim them, then that's just tough.
    The dad is whoever the mam says is the dad, as long as the guy agrees, unless some other guy comes forward looking for guardianship and willing to do DNA.
    BEWARE
    As soon as your name goes on there it can't be removed or changed again and if you split up she can per sue you for maintenance.
    I don't think he wants his name on the birth certs.
    Also, and apologies if I'm wrong, but if she is getting lone parents payment, you shouldn't be living there, father or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

BEWARE
    And if she is in receipt of a state allowance and doesn't look for maintenance, the state certainly will. I've seen it happen.

BEWARE

Changing the kid's surnames to his would give the mother a case (although not nearly as strong) for maintenance anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

This is funny. Like exchanging log books when buying a car. Carry on.

I think firstly you must answer, "ARE YOU THE BIOLOGICAL FATHER???" you seem to be avoiding this question.

Stanlex wrote: »
    This is funny. Like exchanging log books when buying a car. Carry on.

I think firstly you must answer, "ARE YOU THE BIOLOGICAL FATHER???" you seem to be avoiding this question.

He has said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Names in Ireland are by common usage. No consent, documentation or anything else is required. You just start using the new name, build up a history of usage, and then change offical documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Sorry a little off topic here, can someone explain guardianship to me? What'd the difference between this and having the fathers name on the birth cert?

Sorry a little off topic here, can someone explain guardianship to me? What'd the difference between this and having the fathers name on the birth cert?

Having a name on the birth cert just declares who the father is. Whoever is a guardian is responsible for the child.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What if the father can't be found. For talks sake, what if she slept with someone at a concert all them times she was pregnant and couldn't locate the fathers again. Now I know its hypothetical but its possible. What would happen in the name change then

If you are not the biological father, then you need to contact a solicitor and prepare for a court appearance to grant guardianship and adoption rights to you, in the absence of permission from the biological father.

A birth certificate is a legal document. To knowingly put false information on it (ie, naming you as the father when you know you are not) is fraud. Seriously, dont do this.

So, what do you want here? Do you want to formally adopt these children? Be a proper father to them- provide for them financially until adulthood? Or is this a show of unity based on your most recent reconcillation with their mother, but without the legal obligations? If its the latter, then I'd say to you to leave the birth certs alone, and just change your surname through common usage to that of the whole family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement