Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing girlfriends kids name to mine

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

And if you are not the biological father, and the mother knows you are not the biological father, then adding your name to the birth cert as the biological father is falsifying a legal document.

I know you said you didn't want a discussion on the rights or wrongs of it, but I think that's because you know it is a ridiculous idea. You have an off again on again relationship with a girl with 4 children, whose children's father(s) aren't named on their birth certs. You are not married, and have no intention of getting married, yet you want to change the name of these 4 children to yours.

Yes it can be done. They can just start using your name, but it is a very ill thought out plan. Very immature and not taking any real consideration of the children into account.

As someone else mentioned, like swapping ownership of a car and changing the log book.

It can be done.

But it's a stupid thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

This sort of sounds like "I'm serious this time, honey, let's make a real go of it. Tell ya what, I'll even change the kid's names to mine, that's how serious I am..."

Am I right? If so, don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I know you said you don't want a discussion on the rights and wrongs of changing the kids names, but I just have to point out that these kids shouldn't be that involved in your on /off relationship.

Is the plan that changing their names will deter you and the mother from breaking up during heated moments or something?

Surely if you're trying to make a serious go of it marriage would be more appropriate, even though it will affect the whole family, if you do break up it will affect the kids a little bit less.

Otherwise, if having the same second name is some kind of show of unity, then surely you, the adult who is joining their family should take the hit and change their name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

pablo128 wrote: »
    I don't think he wants his name on the birth certs.
    Also, and apologies if I'm wrong, but if she is getting lone parents payment, you shouldn't be living there, father or not.

She is lone parent payment. I own my own house and don't live with her. She's thinking off moving in with me thou but that's not set in stone yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

pablo128 wrote: »
    And if she is in receipt of a state allowance and doesn't look for maintenance, the state certainly will. I've seen it happen.

What do you mean they will look for maintenance. Even if the name is changed by common usage. I'm not working at the moment but when I'm back to work, I will provide for them but for now, we both live seperatly and will continue to do so for the forseable future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am closing this thread because the OP is not providing enough information to get a definitive answer and he would be better talking to a solicitor or citizens advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement