Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for Air....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

ken wrote: »
    Mcloughlins in Newbridge have the best setup for air bar none. They have a slot like you get on a shopping trolley. You put in a Euro and when you finish click back the pump and you get your Euro back. So simple and so effective. Even a trolley token will work in it.

That system is in a load of places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider buying a compressor in Aldi next time they are on sale?

If he wont spend 1euro on some air, can you really see him spending 30??.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

30 quid for a bit of a machine that uses MY cigarette lighter to pump air thats free? Thats a real ripoff.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

grange mac wrote: »
    True but the margin they charge in shop and fuel should more than cover it. Pump n air hose cost 100max and last 10 years min so....well at 1euro for 5min...and nail in coffin was it took ages to pump so pumping a van would break a person!!

Not a hope they cost 100 quid *or* last ten years. Three months without requiring serious maintenance is rare with the way they get treated.
    Let's say 3% its less on petrol but more on diesel. Give it 100k litres a week...min that's 3000euro week bit I kno that's before overheads. But its principle of charging for it that bugs me. Topaz hav a 2euro deposit which you get back after your finished....

Aldi had compressors recently for 80 hose 20 so to me its just wrong to charge for it.

Hasn't been 3% margin on fuel for years.

Buy the Aldi compressor if you want; its not a forecourt grade device.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

I'm lucky I'm not sensitive all the abuse I'm getting here!! But majority of people think I'm stingy well I don't throw money away but I don't see how charging a euro will make people handle the air pumps with care...the public just don't care bout things they don't own.
    I have a simple philosophy and that's treat others like I'd like to be treated by them....
    Anything I use I put back same condition and place where I got item from....pity note wouldn do same...OK ye can carry on dishing me now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm lucky I'm not sensitive all the abuse I'm getting here!! But majority of people think I'm stingy well I don't throw money away but I don't see how charging a euro will make people handle the air pumps with care...the public just don't care bout things they don't own.
    I have a simple philosophy and that's treat others like I'd like to be treated by them....
    Anything I use I put back same condition and place where I got item from....pity note wouldn do same...OK ye can carry on dishing me now!!!

It mightn't make you take care, but it contributes to the maintenance bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

..the public just don't care bout things they don't own.

.... or don't have to pay for.

You are happy for strangers to come to your house and use your equipment, your electricity for free?

davo10 wrote: »
    .... or don't have to pay for.

You are happy for strangers to come to your house and use your equipment, your electricity for free?

In past week have given loan of sprayer, cut neighbours lawn, tools from yard and other stuff... don't expect anything that n return but know people that borrow from me I can call to them when I need something....
    So no don't allow strangers borrow stuff bit do allow people I know....davo10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I'm on your side OP :)
    i wont pay the euro either ! and they try charge for the water too by adding screen wash.
    plenty of garages that use the token , stick to them.

some laugh that the garages all had free air and water for years and didnt go bust , and all the shytetalk now about margins and the like.

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    i wont pay the euro either ! and they try charge for the water too by adding screen wash.

some laugh that the garages all had free air and water for years and didnt go bust , and all the shytetalk now about margins and the like.

Omg welcome to my club...twaz nice known ya but now you will be slaughtered alive here lol

• Advertisement

I worked for large independent wholesaler for decade so I do know what I am talking about when it comes to volumes and margins.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

20p for air at a service station in Derry.

hawkwind23 wrote: »

See doublej's earlier post about declining number of garages ( less than a quarter of the number now compared to 20 years ago despite a huge increase in number of cars) many garages have gone bust.

Air is free to breathe, if you need a machine to pump it then there is a cost involved for the provider. A lot of garages do not charge for air and to be honest I would probably go to one that doesn't but I don't expect anything for nothing so if it costs the provider to provide a service, I understand that they charge for it. OP can rant all he wants but he still expects to use a service (air) for free to avoid paying for something else (fix tyre) .

If something costs, don't expect it to be given to you for free.

In past week have given loan of sprayer, cut neighbours lawn, tools from yard and other stuff... don't expect anything that n return but know people that borrow from me I can call to them when I need something....
    So no don't allow strangers borrow stuff bit do allow people I know....davo10

This is different, you know these people, they are your friends and they are "borrowing" your equipment, you are not a business, if you ran a hardware equipment rental company, would you allow all those people to borrow them free of charge?

You could always go in and tell garage owner that the next time he or his family needs any of the items you list above, they can call on over to your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

If it costs a euro to fill my tyres with air, I'll pay it, probably with a moan. I view believe improperly filled tyres are a safety issue.

However, there are plenty of people who would neglect their tyres in order to save a euro. This increases the risks for all of us. Is there a model other than pay-per-use that would be sustainable? If forecourt A increases prices in order to fund an air compressor, and forecourt B doesn't because it has no compressor, people will buy most of their fuel cheaper in B.

More regulation (sigh)? Force all forecourts to have a compressor without charge, and so all increase prices to compensate?

There's probably no ideal solution really. But it's a pity to disincentivise safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

I got a foot pump for the car for €3 in EuroGiant recently and it's brilliant! Sturdy, small and does the job perfectly! I would rather it over the lighter socket plug in ones anyday! Keep it in the car and you'll never be stuck!

Advertisement