Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruise Control and overtaking, then slowing down, overtaking again, and it goes on...

• 28-07-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. Not a big poster here, part time lurker, like my big engined petrol cars and recently have had social and work reasons to use motorways to get up, down, left and right across the country. I didn't want to hijack demaufactured's thread on cruise control.

But...

Has anyone here experienced the overtaker-slowdown-getovertaken-overtake-slowdown-getovetaken merchants on our good nations motorways?

I enter a motorway, set the cruise control at around 120kph and sit back in the driving lane with some decent music. Someone overtakes me, "grand say's me... off you go" eight minutes later, the same car is doing 113kph in front of me. I check my mirrors, indicate and overtake.

Grand.

Two minutes later, the same person overtakes me at speed.

Grand, go for it.

Five minutes later, they there are. Again. I indicate to overtake and they put the boot down.

Fine. I indicate and get back in to the driving lane and relax to listen to my epic playlist. But ten minutes later, the very same car is in front of me. I indicate, overtake and settle back in the driving lane.

Two minutes later, they are overtaking me at around 180kph and giving me daggers (looks) like I'm some sort of maniac.

Four klicks down the road, the same car's in front of me doing 110kph!!!

Is my cruise control an arzholle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Not a big poster here, part time lurker, like my big engined petrol cars and recently have had social and work reasons to use motorways to get up, down, left and right across the country. I didn't want to hijack demaufactured's thread on cruise control.

But...

Has anyone here experienced the overtaker-slowdown-getovertaken-overtake-slowdown-getovetaken merchants on our good nations motorways?

I enter a motorway, set the cruise control at around 120kph and sit back in the driving lane with some decent music. Someone overtakes me, "grand say's me... off you go" eight minutes later, the same car is doing 113kph in front of me. I check my mirrors, indicate and overtake.

Grand.

Two minutes later, the same person overtakes me at speed.

Grand, go for it.

Five minutes later, they there are. Again. I indicate to overtake and they put the boot down.

Fine. I indicate and get back in to the driving lane and relax to listen to my epic playlist. But ten minutes later, the very same car is in front of me. I indicate, overtake and settle back in the driving lane.

Two minutes later, they are overtaking me at around 180kph and giving me daggers (looks) like I'm some sort of maniac.

Four klicks down the road, the same car's in front of me doing 110kph!!!

Is my cruise control an arzholle?

I hate the people that drive right up your hole when youre in overtaking lane passing out a row of cars. Im not pulling in until ive overtaken them but im not goin to do 140/150 to suit them. Back off. Sometimes they try the ridiculous overtake on inside but of course cant because they get stuck behind the very traffi im passing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It's fairly common in my experience. I reckon part of it is that people pay a lot less attention to their speedometer than they realise; when they're overtaken by someone else it triggers the realisation they're not travelling at the speed they thought they were and they do something about it.

Cruise control takes all of those variables out of the loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

happens to me often enough. i'm happy in the knowledge that i'm maintaining a steady speed and they can give me daggers, flash their lights all they want, but they are the one who can't keep a steady pace, which is all you want whether it be fast or slow. it's a basic driving skill that not many people seem to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, just asshat's who have issues about being overtaken - happens a lot.

Rare enough though that they win if they do decide to make a "game" out of it - like the bell-end in the old 5 series who tried to undertake me off a set of lights earlier discovered earlier.. "ultimate driving machine" indeed! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I do a fair few runs between dublin and cork and it's the same experience for me. Playing hopscotch with someone on every single trip.
    If I didn't have CC on I question myself about speeding up slowing down.

The worst case I had was an idiot in a golf beteen newbridge and nass. 7 times he over took only to slow down to 110kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yep happens to me as well on Dublin - Cork/Dublin - Galway and it's a pain in the ass to be honest. If you have to do these trips regular CC is a god sent , I just want to relax , listen to music and maintain a decent pace in the left lane anyone who wants to overtake me work away, but then as mentioned two minutes down the road and they are doing 110kph in the left lane and I have to overtake them and get back in then settle down again and on and on and on.

I always find it's the somewhat smaller engine cars as well who seem to want to tear by me at pace and give you some sort of a 'look'. Yes I'm very impressed that you overtook me mate fair play to you, maybe they missed the V6 badge on the back trust me if I wanted to be speeding I could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This happens quite regularly, and it's often amusing. But I sit back, relax and let the car power on. I overtook one guy in a 6 series about 5 times once.

It got quite scary recently on a trip down the Dublin-Cork road. I had cruise control on, nicely at 126-8ish (as is my wont). An SUV thing overtook me, then fell back, so I overtook. This repeated a bit until the other lad literally lost the plot and nearly ploughed me into the median in an effort to stop me overtaking. I've never seen such agression. Quite gobsmacking. I could hear his SUV whining behind me on the road as he closed the distance to overtake me again. He must have had that thing in 3rd judging by the roar off it.

I'd have loved to stopped him and told him I had cruise control on, and that whatever he was imaging was all in his head!

I have his reg number - was considering reporting to the Gardaí, just not quite sure how to explain it.

Funnily enough it does seem to be the M7/M8 that I encounter this on most actually.. maybe they're bored with the dull almost deserted stretch of motorway once you turn off after Portlaoise and find this carry-on to be an "outlet"?

In any case I find the best way to avoid muppetry as described above is to ensure that you're making sufficient progress that you're rarely overtaken in the first place - not too difficult when so many of these people are doing 10-20 below the limit anyway!

The M8 should be 140 minimum anyway for most of it... you can drive 5 minutes without seeing another car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

I thought it was my imagination until I read this thread. M7 is a black spot for this sort of carryon. Happens to me at least once a week between Red Cow and Portlaoise.

Until lately I used to drive about 116-118 in the inside lane, just relaxing listening to the radio etc. I'm usually in no hurry.

However, I've decided that unless you're doing at least 128, it's just too dangerous to cruise along as people keep slicing in front all the time and then slowing down dangerously to do either 1kph slower or faster than my CC speed.

When I do have to overtake I usually just touch the power and I'm doing 120-135 straight away anyway and on those occasions it is often not fast enough for people doing 150+ that think they are in a race. Again, it is usually the smaller or less powerful cars that cause most of the problems IMO. Perhaps it's because they take so long to wind them up in the first place that they freak out when they have to slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In any case I find the best way to avoid muppetry as described above is to ensure that you're making sufficient progress that you're rarely overtaken in the first place - not too difficult when so many of these people are doing 10-20 below the limit anyway!

+1

I generally set CC around 130-135 km/h on motorways as trying to stick to speed limit causes this kind of headaches.

If someone is pissed off because he/she is overtaken by me, either I slow down to 100-110 km/h for a while to let them disappear or speed up to make sure they are disappeared in my reverse mirror.

I am aware of that you shouldn't break laws because of idiots but I find these type of drivers hazard to me on the roads and I prefer them to be away from me somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Seems to be an Irish thing, happened to me with this absolute weirdo doing exactly what the OP described.

The German version is the a$s clown who thinks you aren't over taking quickly enough and then tries to undertake everyone in the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Out on the same road, M7, early in the morning (4:30ish). Not in a mad rush. Again doing about 118 on CC in the 'slow' lane. Not a car in sight, like a scene from Day of the triffids, U2 on the radio and your truly taking that rare opportunity we all enjoy - just cruising along with no worries.

Like all good things in life it would not last. Passed a slip road and shortly in the mirror I noticed what looked like a cream coloured paint tin on wheels tearing after me. I did nothing as on CC. Paint tin zoomed up about 2 car lengths or so behind and pulls out and overtakes. I did nothing as on CC. Good riddance I thought.

Immediately after passing me he pulls in about one car length in front and then starts slowing down. WHAT. THE. FRUP. There are still just 2 of us on the road. I knock a couple of kph off the CC. No joy, he is also now going slower.

Did what gave me great satisfaction, used all 198 bhp to show him what an actual car can do and once he was just a cream dot on the rear windscreen, I went back to my U2 experience.

Unfortunately, it's often safer to speed up and leave these idiots behind but it does upset the tone of the day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

IME...it's a very common problem.

The trouble with CC is that it will maintain the same speed going uphill or downhill. Drivers not using CC... tend to slow down slightly when going uphill... and then speed past you / away from you when going down hill.

I don't mind other drivers overtaking me at all. However it is very annoying when they overtake, then start to slow down... so I have decided to reduce my speed when going uphill... which means when we start going down hill they pull away from me and after some distance has opened up... I then increase my CC.

Driving on the roads in Ireland is like being part of a concertina... like a long snake... expanding and contracting all the time.

Another point is the use of indicators... it is getting common to see either 'No usage' or being left 'on all the time' on motorways.

I think An Garda Siochana would make a fortune if they forgot about fines for speeding... and introduced fines for no usage of blinkers / indicators instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What annoys me is as above, but when you catch up with them and you're doing 120, they're doing 118 or so, takes you ages to go past them. Several things might happen
    They think you're a creep that likes driving beside them

They speed up (see above, they will slow down again)

You might need to go a little faster to get past, is it then hypocritical to slow down further up the road?

kerten wrote: »
    I am aware of that you shouldn't break laws because of idiots but I find these type of drivers hazard to me on the roads and I prefer them to be away from me somehow.

Yea that's my thought process too - idiots like that, or the random muppetry that goes on on the M50, are potential hazards and threats to the safety of myself and my passengers - not to mention themselves!
    If that means putting some distance between us, or sitting in the outside lane doing in or around the limit while the last-minute dangerous weaving and cutting in front of each other goes on to my left (as is generally the case between exits 6 and 10 of the M50) then that's what I'll do.

(Let's skip the whole multi-lane/driving lane argument with regards to the M50 though - it's little more than a mislabeled bypass rather than a "proper" motorway when compared to others on our network (too many exits in close proximity and high volumes of traffic), although to keep those who would start that debate again happy.. once I've passed that particular stretch - and when on any other motorway - I do move left again)

Until we have a police force that is actually competent and does more than revenue gathering on the roads then the safety of myself and mine is always of greater importance than some arbitrary limit or ignored by all "rule" about what lane to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They think you're a creep that likes driving beside them

This is so true. Unless you up the velocity, you're literally creeping past them :)

dudara wrote: »
    This is so true. Unless you up the velocity, you're literally creeping past them :)

Yea I usually just speed up to pass them quickly .. especially if they are SLOWLY closing on another dawdler themselves - or if they decide they want to "race" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Nice to see the Cork Dublin road mentioned.

Has happened to me too on it. They literally refuse to drive on their own or want to speed but are too scared. When they see you ahead "speeding" or not braking which is the norm when one sees a speed check they decide it's safe to speed but lose their bravery when the prospect of being first in the "pack" (you and him) to meet a speed check so he will slow.

Tbh honest the best thing is to look up the go safe vans locations. If its safe up the speed and put a car between you and him so he'll start his game with some odder poor soul. Or you can hope another car joins the motorway between you and him.

Absolute pricks to drive near.

One of them cut in on me! Big f*ckin empty motorway and they cut in on me! They are just useless drivers who lose their appetite for speeding the second they pass you and are ignorant of the inaccuracy of the speedo.My speedo set to 130 so in truth going 120. He slows to 113km/h or 120km/h on the speedo straight away and wonders why I immediately overtake him again... and again.. and again until I got annoyed and made it so there was a car between us.

Typical nobody drives faster than me attitude in all of them. I find anything above 140 for a minute or two gets rid of them, once you are out of sight they cant use your brake lights to warn of speed traps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You'll have that. I usually just dial in 10% over the speed limit and be chillin'. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well if ye think that is bad try driving a truck limited to 90 KPH and the same scenario some fool passes you on the motorway then slows down, when you try and pass them again they will either speed up or match your speed leaving you in the overtaking lane looking like a pure tool.

I see it all the time while driving the car too it's so fcuking annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I have recently made a sign - an A4 sized piece of white card with "I'm on CRUSE CONTROL!" written on one side, and on the other side "You know, constant speed". It's usually stuffed by the side of the seat. I display it when ever I get the dagger eyes from the other muppet. When they read the sign, the usual expression is "Huh?"

My own car doesn't have cruse control but there is another car at home that does and that has cruse control. The sign is used in that car. If I loose it I print another......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Happens to me all the time, my record is 14 overtakes of the same car between moneygall (Obama plaza dontcha know :cool:) and the red cow. I was on cruise at 130 the whole way.

Even this evening on the motorway out of Galway, passed a tidy woman in a black fluence. Then for 5/6 km she is stuck to my bumper, half overtook me then dropped back out of sight.

I honestly believe the serial over takers and the speed up when I'm being passed'ers don't know they are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Dublin - Cork:D

I often drive there and it is annoying. I do not have a CC but I always try to spot a driver who is using it and follow him for as long as I can:D

Every few minutes, however, I am being passed by another driver who decides that he only wants to overtake me (the Scenic isn't as respectful as the Audi in front of me, I guess), and moves back to the left lane between me and the car in front. Then he slows down to 110-115 km/h:confused:

Annoying, and the inclines make it even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Has happened to me too on it. They literally refuse to drive on their own or want to speed but are too scared. When they see you ahead "speeding" or not braking which is the norm when one sees a speed check they decide it's safe to speed but lose their bravery when the prospect of being first in the "pack" (you and him) to meet a speed check so he will slow.

On a motorway the most intelligent thing to do is draft (At a safe distance) a faster driver if you want to speed. Its common sense. He's going to get pulled, not you. Its not about being brave, its about letting the neanderthal get caught instead of you. If the gap is big enough to react to his brake lights (i.e. Multiple car lengths) then you are too far behind and can also get tagged with ease.

I'm not supporting speeding but if you going to do it, at least be intelligent about it. Same applies to the M50. Don't be first, don't be last, be right in the middle of the pack. Nothing to do with bravery, its self preservation :pac:
    Tbh honest the best thing is to look up the go safe vans locations.

GoSafe don't operate on motorways. And regardless, doesn't matter who is first or second, in that situation your both getting a fine if you are both speeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ABC101 wrote: »
    The trouble with CC is that it will maintain the same speed going uphill or downhill.

I see the same silliness on the M6 which is pretty flat.

Sometimes people have actual reasons for slowing down after passing, like answering their hand-held. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

This is just bad driving behavior by drivers.

I was driving into dublin city today on the N4 after palmerston and i was driving with a good safe distance with the car in front of me .... driving along at a good 80 - 85kmh......

Out of fecking nowhere this clown with her seat pressed against the windscreen is driving a bit faster than me overtaking then cuts across me while braking to get between me and the car in front.... then slows right down.

Its a load of crap, people get very offended when overtaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

ianobrien wrote: »
    I have recently made a sign - an A4 sized piece of white card with "I'm on CRUSE CONTROL!" written on one side, and on the other side "You know, constant speed". It's usually stuffed by the side of the seat. I display it when ever I get the dagger eyes from the other muppet. When they read the sign, the usual expression is "Huh?"

My own car doesn't have cruse control but there is another car at home that does and that has cruse control. The sign is used in that car. If I loose it I print another......

Thats a slippery slope, I'd end up wanting signs for every situation. What we need is an LED display on the back window, programmable via an app on the phone............carnage would surely ensue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ianobrien wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

for Irish use the messages would need to be rather different..... a**hole and f** you would sell well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement