Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous driving and speeding !!

• 28-07-2014 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

To night i was driving on south circular road doing around 80km/h it was late and dark til i saw someone walking when he saw me he flashed with his torch few times, so i kept driving till garda car pulled me over he said he is gonna charge me for dangerous driving and speeding in residential area and failure to stop to garda . I told him how come i will know its garda walking in dark behind trees!!
    Anyone have any idea if i will loose my licence !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hope so.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No you won't lose it. Probably a fine and points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

sounds like you drove through a checkpoint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There should be some prescribed by law signal given by gardai when requesting drivers to stop.

Situation when a guard car just flash his toy torch (possibly not even wearing his uniform) to pull over a car, and when car doesn't stop then catch up the driver and sue him for failing to stop for garda request is just completely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

That is a weird one. Was the guard with the flashlight operating a speed gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

That is a weird one. Was the guard with the flashlight operating a speed gun?

He was just walking on road or i don't know where the hell he came from, but i was driving and south c r is dark and full of trees as we know till i saw few flash light from torch it looks like a bicycle or something then he said he will charge me for failure to stop to garda !!

Was driving loud modified car i think this explain more :(

What is the official speed limit on that road op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Also you were a good bit over the limit?

What is south circular road?
    In what town/city is it?
    Any google maps link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

CiniO wrote: »
    In what town/city is it?
    Any google maps link?

In Dublin isn't it?

In what town/city is it?
    Any google maps link?

major enough road in Dublin city.

https://goo.gl/maps/pL2Uh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The south circular is in Dublin. It's a built up area, the limit is 50kph so if you were up on 80 you were speeding a fair bit. Doesn't help that you failed to stop, could be construed that was because of your speed. You shouldn't lose your licebse but expect points and a fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

140490 wrote: »
    He was just walking on road or i don't know where the hell he came from, but i was driving and south c r is dark and full of trees as we know till i saw few flash light from torch it looks like a bicycle or something then he said he will charge me for failure to stop to garda !!

You say yourself the road is dark and full of trees but still you do 80KPH on, not very clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

lol 50 mph old school on the scr

8 points on the way

Well, google maps seem to show there is "south circular road" in Limerick as well - so could be that one.

Anyone - if that's the one in Dublin from Toyotafanboi link, then 80km/h at night doesn't seem like a heavy crime, and I wouldn't expect driving ban for it really. It's looks like major and wide enough road.

In relation to not stopping to garda signal - that's another matter, and as I said above - IMHO situation is ridiculous that there is no set method (by law) what signal garda is meant to give to drivers to pull them over.

Well, google maps seem to show there is "south circular road" in Limerick as well - so could be that one.

Anyone - if that's the one in Dublin from Toyotafanboi link, then 80km/h at night doesn't seem like a heavy crime, and I wouldn't expect driving ban for it really. It's looks like major and wide enough road.

In relation to not stopping to garda signal - that's another matter, and as I said above - IMHO situation is ridiculous that there is no set method (by law) what signal garda is meant to give to drivers to pull them over.

80 about so 90 in a 50 is not a heavy crime

but buses undertaking in bus lanes is ,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

16 year olds.....country roads.....driving high powered heavy tractors with trailers

Lunacy beyond belief.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=648+south+circular+road&oq=648+south+circular+road&aqs=chrome..69i57.1661j0j4&client=chrome-mobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8#

I know i was a bit in rush, i have an EU licence so no points but I'm just worrying about huge fine of 1000e or so or loosing my licence completely!

Sorry guys link in above South circular road is in Dublin

Tigger wrote: »
    80 about so 90 in a 50 is not a heavy crime

but buses undertaking in bus lanes is ,,,

Is it?
    Well - I don't know - you tell me?!?!
    Why would buses undertaking in bus lanes be a heavy crime?

• Advertisement

https://www.google.ie/search?q=648+south+circular+road&oq=648+south+circular+road&aqs=chrome..69i57.1661j0j4&client=chrome-mobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8#

I know i was a bit in rush, i have an EU licence so no points but I'm just worrying about huge fine of 1000e or so or loosing my licence completely!

Sorry guys link in above South circular road is in Dublin

If you have a foreign licence, then I don't think you can loose it.

If we are agreeing 50km is the limit the op would be doing 30km more than the limit.

Is it?
    Well - I don't know - you tell me?!?!
    Why would buses undertaking in bus lanes be a heavy crime?
    90 in a 50 is 180%

so pretty bad

Garda told me i was doing around 120km/h he doesn't have evidence its just my car kinda look fast and loud exhaust it looks like im driving fast even if im driving normal, but i know i was doing around 90km/h on that road !!

Garda told me i was doing around 120km/h he doesn't have evidence its just my car kinda look fast and loud exhaust it looks like im driving fast even if im driving normal, but i know i was doing around 90km/h on that road !!

told ya
    180%
    fecked

If we are agreeing 50km is the limit the op would be doing 30km more than the limit.

Yes, then he's guilty of speeding.

very speeding

180 on a 100 speeding

or 216 on a motorway speeding

133mph in old money

very speeding

Well, IMO very speeding would be 130km/h in 50km/h.

OP said 80km/h initially, and this IMO is just normal speeding.
    I don't think in any EU countries you'd get driving ban for being up to 30km/h over the speed limit.
    Maybe Ireland is exception though - I don't know.
    I have no means to find out anyway, as in my region there are no speed traps at all.

And because it was night it is a lesser crime? Would you have a different view if it was morning or noon say?

• Advertisement

And because it was night it is a lesser crime? Would you have a different view if it was morning or noon say?

he'd have a lesser view if it was Tuesday

still sounds like the OP drove through a checkpoint. i mean gardai don't just hang around roadsides waving torches for the good of their health.

i doubt you would get a ban, seeing as he has no proof of your actual speed other than "it looking like you were speeding". potentially you could be done for careless driving, which is €80 and 2 points. that could be fair, it's not my place to say though. 80km/h in a 50 (built up/ residential) zone is a bit excessive. definitely the difference between maybe injuring and definitely killing someone i'd say.

given the nature of the zones, 80 in a 50 imo is much more dangerous than say 130 in a 100 zone.

Well, IMO very speeding would be 130km/h in 50km/h.

OP said 80km/h initially, and this IMO is just normal speeding.
    I don't think in any EU countries you'd get driving ban for being up to 30km/h over the speed limit.
    Maybe Ireland is exception though - I don't know.
    I have no means to find out anyway, as in my region there are no speed traps at all.

he admitted to 90 in a 50

and thats trouble in ireland 180%
    th co says 120 which is 240%
    ban time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

2 penalty points for speeding id imagine but unless the gaurd clocked you probably wont ever hear from them again!

I wouldn't call it a crime in a first place, but offence.

And yes - of course. Speeding at night with no one around is not as bad as speeding in the morning on noon with big traffic.

ban time

Indeed OP's story seem to change with every additional post by him in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

ban time

Not sure which part of your arse you're pulling this ban out of but I was caught with a speed gun doing 98 in a 50. 2 points, €80 and a disapproving look.

Mind you, I was on a 4 lane main road just after leaving the motorway. Hardly SCR.

Which section were you on, OP?
    It's a long road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So O.P. ya got caught speeding, suck it up and accept whats coming to you.
    If you had been travelling at the speed limit you may have been in a better position to see what was going on in front of you and been able to stop in good time.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not sure which part of your arse you're pulling this ban out of but I was caught with a speed gun doing 98 in a 50. 2 points, €80 and a disapproving look.

Mind you, I was on a 4 lane main road just after leaving the motorway. Hardly SCR.

Which section were you on, OP?
    It's a long road...

Pic

Pic
    Thats the section of the SCR between the back gate of St James Hospital and Suir Rd Inchicore. Its a regular spot for checkpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Pic

Often dashes for the lights there if it where in thinking of but never in the dark and never if I can't see a clear run.
    It's known for check points alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Dowl88 wrote: »
    2 penalty points for speeding id imagine but unless the gaurd clocked you probably wont ever hear from them again!

Its fairly obvious we are getting nothing like the full story here, but if it is what it sounds like then the OP was driving too fast down a residential road to notice the checkpoint that they failed to stop for, so at the very least they can probably expect to be charged with dangerous driving and failing to stop for a Gardai (not sure what the exact wording of the offense is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Out of curiosity OP, you said you have an EU licence - is the car from outside the state as well?
    Honestly, you more than likely will not be banned. I just can't see them doing that.
    If it was twice the limit then I would imagine so.
    Watch your speed though in future, if a child had ran out onto the road then it could have ended very badly for you.
    It's 50 for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bear1 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity OP, you said you have an EU licence - is the car from outside the state as well?
    Honestly, you more than likely will not be banned. I just can't see them doing that.
    If it was twice the limit then I would imagine so.
    Watch your speed though in future, if a child had ran out onto the road then it could have ended very badly for you.
    It's 50 for a reason.

Especially on that road. I dont know about all of the SCR, but my grandparents used to live across from the National Stadium and that stretch of SCR especially is quite dark at night, and at certain times can have quite a few pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

10 or 11 years ago I was driving from Dublin to Cork on my motorbike, pulled off the motorway to get some fuel (surprising how few petrol stations were open late at night back then)

Was driving down a country road in Kildare at night time and came around a bend.

There was a car at the side of the road and someone wearing a luminous jacket waving a flash light at me signalling me to pull over. I started to slow down and then just got a weird feeling that I was down this country road on my own with nobody around so I just kept going.

Went to Kildare town and this car followed me the whole way there.

Ended up stopping outside a Garda station and the car just passed me and kept going.

So no, I wouldn't stop for some guy hiding in the bushes with a flashlight wearing a luminous jacket.

A checkpoint should be clearly visible with traffic cones, a blue sign indicating its a checkpoint and with uniformed officers and marked police vehicles.

If its a speed trap then they can either stop me with the car they have further down the road or they can just send me a ticket.

Over here, driving 80 in a 50 (30 km/h over) would be a fine of 316 euros.

Although if they OP thinks he was driving 80, it was probably lower, around 72 km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

section 53 of the road traffic act 1961 as amended is the act for dangerous driving look it up

By your own admission the road is dark, full of trees and in a built up residential area. Its also right next to one of Dublin's busiest hospitals.
    Yet the big concern amongst some is how you were stopped, not so much what you were doing.
    Did anyone ever think that maybe the Garda was just walking along, saw the O.P. speeding towards him and tried to get him to stop without putting his own life in danger.
    Do some people actually expect him to step out into the middle of the road and put his hand up to stop a car coming straight at him at 80kmh and hope he doesn't get run over not knowing if the driver is D.U.I or sober?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Did anyone ever think that maybe the Garda was just walking along, saw the O.P. speeding towards him and tried to get him to stop without putting his own life in danger.
    Do some people actually expect him to step out into the middle of the road and put his hand up to stop a car coming straight at him at 80kmh and hope he doesn't get run over not knowing if the driver is D.U.I or sober?

Common sense would dictate they would take the reg and call it in. They do have radios, a rather good system in fact, and an APB would be very easy to issue. Given the location, there isn't that many places to hide so you could guess where they are going. And also given the location there are always multiple cars in that area.

Personally, I would not stop for a luminous jacket flashing a torch a night. Any reasonably Garda and indeed judge would see that if it came to it. Frankly only an idiot would attempt to stop a speeding car on his own. And to add to that, prove the OP was speeding. 50km/h and 80km/h, by eye, at night? I'd feel fairly lucky of getting off on that one.

Come to think of it, OP, did they say you were speeding? I think you sped past a speed checkpoint.

Advertisement