Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diamondbrite yay or nay?

• 28-07-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Only found one page on this stuff on boards.... Anyone here have it done? Use it? Think it's garbage?

I think the scotchguard is so good idea especially for families but the claim that it lasts for the lifetime of your car . Once maintained with their kit is a bold claim ..

If Nay, what's the best alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

For those who never heard of it : http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdYYn_4c8E4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Similar to autoglym lifeshine, I'd steer clear and buy better products from a detailer instead.

thanks Neil - have you used it? What makes it inferior? or AG better? Is it hte price? Sorry for all the questions theres such a plethora of products available now it can be hard to differentiate the muck from the magic.

Have heard of tiger seal for the outside but nothing similar to what Diamonbrite calims re: inside the car.

Theres only one recommended detailer on this forum (in Dublin) is that person a member here?

Trying t get the best inner and outer protection for my car- would much prefer to stay local.

cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

There is nothing that has "lifetime" durability for inside or outside your car!!

Certain products will give you extremely good protection but will need to be re-applied or topped up every now and then!

Nano technology products for the exterior of the car can vary and some can last up to 24 months if washed with the correct products....generally you cant wash them with regular shampoos as they interfere with the nano structure; you need the recommended Nano shampoo that is available for whatever sealant you choose.

In a similar way, there are certain products for the fabric or leather interiors that will add a protective layer and make the fabric hydrophobic, so if you spill something on it, it will sit on the surface, instead of being absorbed into the material.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Curran wrote: »
    There is nothing that has "lifetime" durability for inside or outside your car!!

Certain products will give you extremely good protection but will need to be re-applied or topped up every now and then!

Nano technology products for the exterior of the car can vary and some can last up to 24 months if washed with the correct products....generally you cant wash them with regular shampoos as they interfere with the nano structure; you need the recommended Nano shampoo that is available for whatever sealant you choose.

In a similar way, there are certain products for the fabric or leather interiors that will add a protective layer and make the fabric hydrophobic, so if you spill something on it, it will sit on the surface, instead of being absorbed into the material.

What would you recommend for fabric seats?
    Got some wonder wheels upholstery sealant in Halfords a while back and was going to use it soon.

• Advertisement

No experience of the Wonder Wheels, but I personally would be leaving that to one side.

gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric is probably the best available in Ireland at the minute.

thanks for the info Curran. In fairness there is a top up pack supplied with the DB but was wondering whats comparable to it /better than it.?

Can you recommend something better/someone better /

I seem to remember there was a detailers out in Blanch or similar, they used Onyx or something? Mad money if IRC over 300 euro a tub:eek:

Swissvax Onyx!! And there are others in that range that are far, far more expensive!

For the exterior of your car, if you are looking for something exceptionally durable, you need to look into Nano Sealants. Onyx at the end of the day is still a wax, it may last a little longer than your average waxes, but it was more used for the shine it offered than the protection it gave. Some people dont like extremely durable protection coatings, as they like to try and test different products. Also they then to give a more glassy finish than the warmer, 'wet look' appearance that can be achieved from your average waxes.

For nano sealants, you need to be looking for names like Wolf's Chemicals, gtechniq, CQuartz, Nanolex, Gyeon, to name a few!

Swissvax Onyx!! And there are others in that range that are far, far more expensive!

feckin hell. any free samples out there i wonder :P

For the exterior of your car, if you are looking for something exceptionally durable, you need to look into Nano Sealants. Onyx at the end of the day is still a wax, it may last a little longer than your average waxes, but it was more used for the shine it offered than the protection it gave. Some people dont like extremely durable protection coatings, as they like to try and test different products. Also they then to give a more glassy finish than the warmer, 'wet look' appearance that can be achieved from your average waxes.

For nano sealants, you need to be looking for names like Wolf's Chemicals, gtechniq, CQuartz, Nanolex, Gyeon, to name a few!

Awesome stuff, thanks v much - prefer the 'wet look' meself. Have been using AG for donkeys and can never fault it tbh- have never clayed a car before either:o but looking for an extremely durable protection product thta wont break the bank - but i understand "you invariably get what you pay for" - cant afford the Onyx and if i'm honest i cant really afford the DB treatment but if it were to last a year give or take ( with top up maintenance of course) then its justifiable IMO - i enjoy doing it myeself though so perhaps would be cheaper however apparently the DB is guaranteed so thats big selling point, also the interior getting done is as well.

Having been quoted 200e to get it done its essentially a full valet with an aleged sauperior sealant/wax and an interior treatment so i believe its competitively priced ( if done right) compared to others with no warranty or interior treatment.

Having searched extensively online i have seen the price has dropped fro £500 approx to €200 in the space of 3-4 years....

In saying all of the above i am still sceptical:rolleyes:

thebullkf wrote: »
    i am still sceptical:rolleyes:

To be honest, at that price....the time / products that should be put into preparing the surface would cost that for the exterior alone....and thats not taking into account any correction work that should be done to the paintwork prior to applying the coating!

If your paintwork is swirled and the coating is applied on top of, you are coating the swirls, so they'll be there for the 'lifetime'

• Advertisement

To be honest, at that price....the time / products that should be put into preparing the surface would cost that for the exterior alone....and thats not taking into account any correction work that should be done to the paintwork prior to applying the coating!

If your paintwork is swirled and the coating is applied on top of, you are coating the swirls, so they'll be there for the 'lifetime'

In fairness the paintwork is immaculate. great point on the swirling but if insured, surely one can ask them to redo it? ( same as anywhere else i assume?)

Even if the car is brand new, there is probably a certain amount of correction work that could be done to ensure the paintwork is 100%.....that said, it would be a pointless exercise.

Ask them to redo it? No, once the coating is supplied as described! It would be up to you to ensure the paintwork that they are applying it to, would be in the condition that you were satisfied with. They are just applying the coating.

If you apply it, and then a few weeks later you realise that there are some swirls or defects or whatever in the paintwork, the only way to get the coating off is either wet sanding and machine polishing or machine polishing the coating off, and then machine polishing the area to be corrected.

If you are considering getting something done like this, either a) do it yourself; you can pick up the coatings pretty easily or b) get a detailer to do it!

Just to be aware, that most of the nano sealants need to be applied in a fairly controlled environment also.

i meant if you paid someone to do it, and there were swirls in it- its up to them to redo it... no? As prep work would be part of the application...?

If your paintwork is 100% blemish free and they inflicted damage on application; then absolutely, Id expect them to resolve the issue.
    thebullkf wrote: »
    As prep work would be part of the application...?

You'd assume that, but thats not always the case!

Advertisement