Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improving endurance for beginner

• 28-07-2014 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I am a novice swimmer and want to train for a triathalon.
    Swimming is definitely my weak area.
    I can't do more than 4 lengths without being out of breath and having to stop!!

I'm not out of shape or anything and can do the 10k run in a decent time no problem.

What's the best way of improving my swimming endurance?
    Keep going slowly for as long as I possibly can or do quick laps with rests
    or other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

A bit of advice that worked for me when I was in your position;
    Slow Down, Breathe More, Rest Less.

How's your breathing? Don't hold your breath and gasp; breathe steadily out through your nose all the time your face is underwater. Take a good lungfull every 3-5 strokes, but not so much that you're overloaded and feel the need to blow it all out immediately.

What length pool are you swimming in? Guessing a 25m. Swim steady using your forearm from the fingertip to the elbow as a big paddle. Don't kick too much, just enough to keep steady in the water. Roll and glide.

Swim at a pace where you can do 200m non stop without bursting. Then up it to 400m. Build speed from there.

Not a coach or an expert by any means, just what worked for me. It takes time and effort though. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Slow down to a pace you can keep a constant rhythm and start on short distances and build up the length over time.
    Breathing is key! How often do you breathe on a length? don't panic and try get as relaxed and comfortable as you can.
    Triathlon season is nearing the end for the year. Join a tri/swim club so you can get some coached sessions. Opening triathlons of the year are in pools so will be easier than open water swim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Swim in the sea and get rid of the wall every 25m.

I always say to people that if they can breath correctly then they will be sorted.
    Take long deep strokes. Breath every 4 strokes, just by turning your head to the left or right. Don't hold your breath, breath out slowly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I was in a similar position to you in the past, I couldn't go more than three or four lengths of a pool without stopping. I thought my technique was good but decided to get a few private lessons just in case.

Tem minutes into the first lesson the instructor said my breathing was all wrong, she explained that I needed to exhale in a constant, controlled manner. I always thought I was breathing properly but no. I went from going from three lengths to ten lengths after the first lesson, and only got better after that.

I would suggest you try getting one or two private lessons, it made a big difference for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

I was in a very similar position at the start of the year, just keep trying and it will click eventually.

Having some kind of big goal in mind is very helpful, I registered for the Swim a Mile programme in May of this year and trained through the winter for it, I had progressed from single lengths to maybe a max of 10 without stopping in the weeks leading up to the challenge but went from 10 to 80 lengths in the fortnight before hand.

Something I found very helpful, say if your max is 5 lengths non-stop and you usually do 6 sets or whatever, tell yourself at the start of your session your only target for today is to do a single 10 length set and go home, it's a great motivator to get you to the next level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement