Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Weekend

• 28-07-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭

My Partner and I are looking to go for a long weekend in February. Have been looking at Oslo or Warsaw - any other suggestions? Would like cold/possibly snow!

Nice restaurants and hotels. Between us we have been to a few European Cities - Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin so looking for somewhere new.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've never actually been to Oslo but it seems nearly all accounts of it from posters here are generally negative with the cost being the major factor and that even a weekend will be pretty damaging to your wallet.

I've been to Warsaw and while there would be enough to fill a weekend there, it's not the prettiest of cities. If your looking at Poland, Krakow would usually be the default choice and for good reason, it's a really nice city.

Budapest would be another great choice if you haven't been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Just back from Berlin, but I've never seen it in winter, so as a barometer for possibly wanting to avoid a wintertime European city that might have gone too heavy on the concrete ...

Vienna would be lovely that time of year, and considering you've already been to Prague, the in-flight magazine made Budapest look like a great place to visit.

Oslo is nice, but I can confirm Norway is expensive. Alternatively, you could think about Stockholm which is stunning. I like Helsinki, but I've never been there in winter and it might be a bit too cold for comfort. Copenhagen could be very nice, but it also does tend to get similar weather to our own, so it could go either way.

Granada in southern Spain, because it's high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, does get cold but the winters are usually clear and bright. It's a lovely city with a jewel at its heart: The Alhambra.

Other places: Grenoble, Salzburg, Ljubliana, Zurich, Lyon.

Advertisement