Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using the clutch?

• 28-07-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I had my first lesson on the weekend and just wanted to clarify the correct steps when starting the car:

1) With gear in neutral, no feet on pedals, start the car
    2) Press the clutch down fully
    3) Press lightly on accelerator until the clutch 'bites'
    4) Release handbrake so you begin to move
    5) Keep clutch in same position for count of 3, then release the clutch and off you go :cool:

Am I right?

Then to change gears

1) Foot fully off accelerator
    2) Press clutch down fully
    3) Change gear
    4) Slowly back off clutch while pressing down again on accelerator

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

robocode wrote: »
    I had my first lesson on the weekend and just wanted to clarify the correct steps when starting the car:

1) With gear in neutral, no feet on pedals, start the car
    I start the car with the clutch in
    2) Press the clutch down fully and put the car in 1st/reverse
    3) Press lightly on accelerator until the clutch 'bites'
    No, Let the clutch come up to biting point. Rev as necessary
    Do all observations (mirrors + blindspots)
    Signal

4) Release handbrake so you begin to move
    5) Keep clutch in same position for count of 3, then release the clutch and off you go :cool:
    You can release the clutch once you're moving pretty much

Remember GOSH
    Gears
    Observation
    Signal
    Handbrake

Changing gears looks correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

It's good practice to start the car with your foot on the clutch. There might always be the chance that the car is in gear sometime, nobodies perfect! Depressing the clutch means even if you're in gear you're still grand, like I said it's good practice.

When changing gear, if you're changing down don't forget you're going from accelerator to brake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

BikeQueery wrote: »
    It's good practice to start the car with your foot on the clutch. There might always be the chance that the car is in gear sometime, nobodies perfect! Depressing the clutch means even if you're in gear you're still grand, like I said it's good practice.

When changing gear, if you're changing down don't forget you're going from accelerator to brake.

It's not necessary to use the brakes every time you shift down a gear. Proper observations and throttle control should eliminate quite some brake usage when changing down a gear. For example: you're driving down a road you know well and traffic is flowing nicely, the speed limit is 80km/h and you know it changes to 60 km/h shortly. It's far better driving if you just bleed of that 20 km/h by easing off on the throttle and dropping down a gear ( probably from 5 to 4 in that example ) than it is to having to brake for no reason. It's also far more economical for wear and tear and fuel consumption to use throttle control instead of brake and accelerator for every change in speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

It's not necessary to use the brakes every time you shift down a gear. Proper observations and throttle control should eliminate quite some brake usage when changing down a gear. For example: you're driving down a road you know well and traffic is flowing nicely, the speed limit is 80km/h and you know it changes to 60 km/h shortly. It's far better driving if you just bleed of that 20 km/h by easing off on the throttle and dropping down a gear ( probably from 5 to 4 in that example ) than it is to having to brake for no reason. It's also far more economical for wear and tear and fuel consumption to use throttle control instead of brake and accelerator for every change in speed.

It's not safe for a new driver in my opinion. Throttle control they can get a feel for themselves, it requires being a good driver in the first place. If the vehicle needs to be slowed then the foot should be on the brake for anyone starting out to keep proper control of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Way i do it is:

1. Get yourself seated, put on seatbelt
    2. Adjust mirrors and seat position so you're comfortable
    3. Check gear is in neutral (move gear stick left and right)
    4. Turn on engine
    5. Put into 1st gear and keep clutch down
    5. Look all around, not just mirrors
    6. Signal
    7. Release handbrake
    9. Before you fully pull out and build speed have a quick glance at mirrors again
    10. Boom off you go :D

If you're on a hill it's obviously different.

It might sound like a lot but all of the above can takes seconds and becomes 2nd nature.

Also remember when pulling over to "walk up the stairs" to make the car safe. So when you stop you will have the clutch down and the footbrake on. First thing you do is handbrake, neutral, cancel indicator. In that order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

1) Into car, seatbelt on.
    2) Check parking-brake is on.
    3) Press down clutch, ensure car is in neutral.
    4) Ignition on, check warning lights.
    5) With car in neutral, clutch still engaged, start the car.
    6) Allow engine to idle, let foot off the clutch, checking warning lights and listening for odd sounds.

7) All good, prepare to move off.

8) Look around using mirrors and windows for other road users, pedestrians and children.

9) Switch on your indicators to show your intention to move out.
    10) Press the clutch down fully.
    Repeating point 8
    11) Select first gear.
    Repeating point 8

Ensuring the road is clear to move out..

12) Slowly release the clutch until you feel it starting to 'bite'
    Repeating point 8.
    13) Releasing the handbrake, at the same time start to press lightly on the accelerator as the clutch 'bites'.
    Repeating point 8
    14) As the car starts to move off, increase the pressure slightly on the accelerator and releasing the clutch until your foot is off the pedal.
    Then to change gears

1) Let your foot fully off accelerator.
    2) At the same time Pressing clutch down fully.
    3) Change gear.
    4) Slowly, but quicker than when you were moving off, foot back off the clutch while at the same time pressing down again on the accelerator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you really want to take your driving to the next level buy a book called Roadcraft, read it and start to apply the knowledge you gain from day one. You'll be one of the smoothest, swiftest and skilled minority on the road. The best moment to start doing things right is when you start to learn something. Although some of the stuff may appear counterintuitive it does work and works well. It works so well that for example all UK police forces use it as the foundation blocks for all their response drivers. It's by no means a screeching tyres manual but it's the bible of smooth, swift and safe driving. I dare make a bet with you now that if you read the book and are able to apply about 70% of the basic knowledge by the time you do your driving test there's no way you'll fail.

By the way, when I mention swift the meaning is quick of the mark, good progress at and up to the speed limit and definitely not tearing up the road like a mindless kamikaze.

Advertisement