Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrauntoohil

Options
  • 28-07-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

We have an Austrian student staying with us at the moment who wants to climb Carrauntoohill at the weekend with his friend. He's very experienced, he's climbed much higher and more complicated mountains all over the world but his friend isn't as experienced. He's done a little bit of climbing but not much. Would the Zig Zag route be the best option for them considering his friend?

Also they are getting a bus to Killarney, I can't seem to find any busses going from Killarney to Carrauntoohil, is there one and if not how much roughly would a taxi be? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If his friend is fit, a good route might be up O'Shea's gulley and back via the Zigzags - there is some minor scrambling that should be no problem.
    http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/carrauntoohil-via-osheas-gully-and-zig-zags-kerry/
    http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/brother_osheas.html

Otherwise the Zigzags is very straightforward, and much preferable to the Devil's ladder IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Thanks very much hmmm. I'll say that to him, his friend is fit so that should be fine. Thanks.

Any info on getting there from Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 johnington

There is no bus that will take you to Carrauntoohill. Back in my student days I used to get a bus to Killarney and hitch hike out. Usually wasn't waiting too long for someone to pick me up.

Maybe they could rent bikes in Killarney and cycle if hitching wasn't their thing.

Thanks johnington. Renting bikes sounds good but if it isn't far and the bikes aren't an option they can taxi it. Shame there are no buses but thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

is there not a bus that takes you to cronins yard?

otherwise get a hostel or b and b nearby and see if they will collect you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd say there's a good chance they might be able to at least get a lift back to Killarney if they ask around in the car park. If not they could ring a taxi from Cronins. Don't know how much that would cost though.
    http://www.croninsyard.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Might be no harm to direct the climbers to this link on the Kerry Mountain rescue website http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/

It has lots of useful information on route options etc. Presumably they know that unlike Austria and elsewhere there are no marked trails so map and compass are advisable.

I'll be brutally honest, the zig zags might bore the pants off the experienced guy. Like, I'd recommend them for someone who was a complete novice going up on their own for the first time. You say one is "experienced" and the other "isn't as experienced", which suggests he isn't a novice either. I'd say they should try going up the Heavenly Gates and down O'Shea's Gully. No technical skill needed for either, bit of scrambling for the ascent and a descent that can be walked.

Thanks for the links.
    I'll be brutally honest, the zig zags might bore the pants off the experienced guy. Like, I'd recommend them for someone who was a complete novice going up on their own for the first time. You say one is "experienced" and the other "isn't as experienced", which suggests he isn't a novice either. I'd say they should try going up the Heavenly Gates and down O'Shea's Gully. No technical skill needed for either, bit of scrambling for the ascent and a descent that can be walked.

Thanks Conor, I'll mention all of that to them. Appreciate that, I'd like them to get the most out of it.

Frog Song wrote: »
    We have an Austrian student staying with us at the moment who wants to climb Carrauntoohill at the weekend with his friend. He's very experienced, he's climbed much higher and more complicated mountains all over the world but his friend isn't as experienced. He's done a little bit of climbing but not much. Would the Zig Zag route be the best option for them considering his friend?

Also they are getting a bus to Killarney, I can't seem to find any busses going from Killarney to Carrauntoohil, is there one and if not how much roughly would a taxi be? Many thanks.

I would say there is a big difference in walking in Austria and Ireland.
    In Austria many of the trails are way marked, and any tricky bits have chains etc.
    Often walkers don't even use a compass, and just rely on the regular signs.
    The height of Carrauntoohill would appear to make it very easy, only 1000m but the reality is very different. (I've done 3000m mountains on the continent which are far easier, and didn't even have to take a bearing)
    Getting off the summit of Carrauntoohil in bad weather may require a certain level of skill in taking a bearing, and an ability to read a map.

• Advertisement

I would say there is a big difference in walking in Austria and Ireland.
    In Austria many of the trails are way marked, and any tricky bits have chains etc.
    Often walkers don't even use a compass, and just rely on the regular signs.
    The height of Carrauntoohill would appear to make it very easy, only 1000m but the reality is very different. (I've done 3000m mountains on the continent which are far easier, and didn't even have to take a bearing)
    Getting off the summit of Carrauntoohil in bad weather may require a certain level of skill in taking a bearing, and an ability to read a map.

He's climbed mountains all over the world in all types of weather and has grown up doing it with his family so he should be okay I think, thanks. He has all the gear too.

Advertisement