Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You have €500 what do you buy?

• 28-07-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Ok so firstly I never really planned on making a thread like this but I've become slightly overwhelmed by the number of options out there for a new lens, and thought that a thread may allow me to find a general consensus.

So firstly a bit of background, I got my first DSLR in December, a Canon 600D with the kit 18-55 and a 55-200. I think I've made a good fist of using both of these over the past 6/7 months and have got some results I'm happy with. I'm now sure photography is a hobby I'm going to stick with for a long period of time and might even try turn a bit of cash from it, if the opportunity arises. I've also invested in a Canon 430ex speedlite. I had a tripod which was unfortunately broken and will be investing in another one.

Here is a few photos I've taken this year:

14477244593_dcd401b27d_c.jpg

Lower Lake, Glendalough by StephenDevine, on Flickr

14205587330_05b071b155_c.jpg

Connemara, Ireland. by StephenDevine, on Flickr

14289511663_674eb90fe7_c.jpg

New Family Member by StephenDevine, on Flickr

12862869573_ca1e5c1c55_c.jpg

James Thornton - UCD v Garryowen - Ulster Bank Division 1A - 1/3/14 by StephenDevine, on Flickr

13747700825_cde59861df_c.jpg

Tiger, Dublin Zoo. by StephenDevine, on Flickr

11716877815_d6b59e0af5_c.jpg

Over The Top by StephenDevine, on Flickr

You can see the rest of the photos i've been taking herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/stephendevine/ to give you an idea of the style I shoot etc.

So my questions is if you were in my shoes and given the style/subjects I have been shooting what would you spend €500 on? My current plan is to pick up a Sigma 50mm 1.4 but couldn't certainly be persuaded if people think there is a much better buy out there.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a secondhand large format camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

A 24-105mm f4L might be a decent step up over the 600D kit lens. It's my next lens, and just on budget.
    http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-ef-24-105mm-f-4l-is-usm-lenses-white-box-en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sigma 10-20mm or a Canon 70-200mm F4L.

Don't bother with the 50mm 1.4. Get the Canon 50mm 1.8. It will be the best 100 euro you will ever spend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Sigma 10-20mm or a Canon 70-200mm F4L.

Don't bother with the 50mm 1.4. Get the Canon 50mm 1.8. It will be the best 100 euro you will ever spend ;)

Going to pick up a 70-200mm F2.8L within the next 12 months for sports photography so will hold off on the F4L

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Going to pick up a 70-200mm F2.8L within the next 12 months for sports photography so will hold off on the F4L

Ah ok cool :)

I chose the F4l for the price, weight and quality.

Buying lenses involves a lot of work, especially wen you are parting with so much money.

• Advertisement

a secondhand large format camera.

Don't really see the point in that if my glass is still just kit lenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Do you have / own lightroom?

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Do you have / own lightroom?

Yeah I have Lightroom 4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Don't really see the point in that if my glass is still just kit lenses?
    i saw the text above your photos and not the text below, so i was answering with what i would buy if someone gave me €500 to spend on camera gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i saw the text above your photos and not the text below, so i was answering with what i would buy if someone gave me €500 to spend on camera gear.

yeah I wouldn't say the coverage on a kit lens would be the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

It looks to me that you are doing a fine job with your current gear... you can get the the canon 50mm 1.8 along side with an umbrella, stand, some cheap triggers and give it a go with off-camera flash. You can get a ND filter (the hoya ND400 is 10 stops and there's no color cast) a shutter cable release, the tripod and go for long exposures.
    Budget should cover it all

inkedpt wrote: »
    It looks to me that you are doing a fine job with your current gear... you can get the the canon 50mm 1.8 along side with an umbrella, stand, some cheap triggers and give it a go with off-camera flash. You can get a ND filter (the hoya ND400 is 10 stops and there's no color cast) a shutter cable release, the tripod and go for long exposures.
    Budget should cover it all

Throw in an intervelometer for about 10 euro and you can get some sexy time lapse projects done also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭John mac

Rokinon 24mm F/1.4 , (ok 100 more ) but great for night shots. and landscapes

Big stopper would be another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Very nice photos if I were you I would get Sigma 17-55 2.8 from one unnamed Hong kong site. I am buying with them and are excelent. But every photographer should have a prime lens 50mm 1.4 but seeing what you photograph the Sigma would be great, for sports get the 70-200 2.8 lens.

Advertisement