Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**CAO Points Discussion 2014 - predictions and aftermath**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Anyone else see the articles in the irish independent today about people unhappy with choices after they leave school?
    Though it was very poor taste to publish it the day before results come out with offers only around the corner
    Students will be worried enough without needing to see stuff like that on the front page

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭FlushEk

Folks, you can all have your assumptions but fact is results are out tomorrow and you'll all soon know the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

FlushEk wrote: »
    Folks, you can all have your assumptions but fact is results are out tomorrow and you'll all soon know the craic.

No one's assuming; they're predicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Can you check your results at midnight tonight online? Or do you have to wait until tomorrow?

Shane15 wrote: »
    Can you check your results at midnight tonight online? Or do you have to wait until tomorrow?

The online facility is only activated at midday tomorrow. I don't know whether it's to encourage people to go into their schools, but it seems senseless to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Shane15 wrote: »

Tomorrow at mid day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mario95 wrote: »
    I was looking at different computer courses and the rate at which their points increase is slowing down (2012-2013) relatively to their stable points growth of 2010-2012.
    I am hoping that this year we will not see much increase in points for computer related courses.

CS in UCC jumped 90 points last year all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I know I'm not usually a part of this board but I was three years ago. I just want to wish you all good luck with the results and also, if you have problems with your course, for example if you get the points but still don't get in, do NOT hesitate to ring them! I had the same problem and I got in due to a mistake on THEIR system so seriously, fight for it if you have problems!

Anyway...As a person going into my last year, I thought I'd be all 'wise' and **** and wish you all the best of luck :) I am sure you will get what you want :)

Now...no more sloppiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭FlushEk

No one's assuming; they're predicting.

lol k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Got 555 (how???) and my first choice, Human Health and Disease in TCD, was 535* last year so hoping I've a chance of getting in ... so many people seem to have this course down on their CAO this year though ... just hoping the points won't shoot up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Anyone have any thoughts on what the points will be for BESS this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I have 580 points . Anyone have any views on the points for dentistry . Think I will be safe with 580?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

well I had applied for events management with public relations in gmit and got over 30 points for entry requirement but I didn't get enough for maths :/ I got a D2 when I needed a B2. Pretty ****ty. I got 250 points and had arts as first choice as my level 8, cut off last year was 300 and it ain't gonna drop 50 points :p
    really wish I had gotten the b2 in foudation maths tbh :( don't even know what I'll get offered now on Monday! I have an interview for a plc on the 27th August..I have humanities in Carlow Down as a CAO option aswell and I got over the points requirement for that too. God the gmit is a sickener when I got the points but not the grade though!!

Joey!! wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on what the points will be for BESS this year?

Everything points to an increase: points trend - average increase of five points each year since 2008; increased numbers receiving Bonus Points for passing Higher Maths; ~5% increase in demand for Business courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Everything points to an increase: points trend - average increase of five points each year since 2008; increased numbers receiving Bonus Points for passing Higher Maths; ~5% increase in demand for Business courses.

Damn I got 495 and the minimum points last year was 495

Joey!! wrote: »
    Damn I got 495 and the minimum points last year was 495

It's entirely possible that it will remain as was. It is likely that the additional students taking Higher Maths are significantly less likely to be scoring 495 (ie top 10% of cohort). I think because of the size of the course, Second Round offers for BESS are often slightly reduced on First Round.

There's still hope :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The online facility is only activated at midday tomorrow. I don't know whether it's to encourage people to go into their schools, but it seems senseless to me.

If the system was activated at 9am this morning, every student in the country would have logged on at the same time and it would have probably crashed. So delaying it is probably a good idea. Those that need to use it will actually be able to access it at 12 without issue.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I have 580 points . Anyone have any views on the points for dentistry . Think I will be safe with 580?

Final points for UCC last year was 570 with random selection. It should be enough.

Is Dental Science just another name for Dentistry in Trinity? Was 575 on random selection last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If the system was activated at 9am this morning, every student in the country would have logged on at the same time and it would have probably crashed. So delaying it is probably a good idea. Those that need to use it will actually be able to access it at 12 without issue.
    Plus I think it's a better idea that people go to their school to collect their results tbh.

At least, if there is a complete head-wrecking shock for someone, there is someone to talk to about options, there is some bit of support available.

There are several ways of mitigating that: activating at, say, 4am; allowing students to request that their results be e-mailed to them; etc.

• Advertisement

There are several ways of mitigating that: activating at, say, 4am; allowing students to request that their results be e-mailed to them; etc.

It doesn't matter what hour of the morning it was activated. If it was 4am, students would have been on since 3:30 furiously hitting refresh and the same thing would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I need biomed to drop by fiiiive pointsssss

It doesn't matter what hour of the morning it was activated. If it was 4am, students would have been on since 3:30 furiously hitting refresh and the same thing would happen.
    This. People stay up all night and flood CAO at 6, even though lots will have got hints from the early papers.

Plus as I say, while I think it may be one reason, I don't think it's the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Would use say I'm safe being 45 points over last years points.

The last 3 years in the course

No-one can give you a guarantee, but I certainly wouldn't be panicking; the odds are certainly well-stacked in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Conor9320

Is it likely that DC117 (Aviation Management with Pilot Studies) will shoot up? It's hard to tell because it's such a new course. I got 470 which is 30 more then last year, should I be safe enough with that? I'm on the HEAR scheme too so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Conor9320 wrote: »
    Is it likely that DC117 (Aviation Management with Pilot Studies) will shoot up? It's hard to tell because it's such a new course. I got 470 which is 30 more then last year, should I be safe enough with that? I'm on the HEAR scheme too so I'm hoping I'll be ok.
    You should be safe in my opinion and HEAR have you backed up for the extra points if it does increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Do you think its possible for HEAR to give me 45 points? I'm 45 points short of my first offer

Like the normal questions re: "Do you think X will go up or down / what points will Y be?", no-one can really answer that with any certainty HG.

It does sound like a fairly big ask though.

In the eventuality that you don't get your first choice, how happy are you with your second choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Final points for UCC last year was 570 with random selection. It should be enough.

Is Dental Science just another name for Dentistry in Trinity? Was 575 on random selection last year.

Yes dental science is the same course I believe . It's my first choice anyway so I'm hoping i am safe .

Advertisement