Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**CAO Points Discussion 2014 - predictions and aftermath**

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dadadum wrote: »
    Didn't get science. I hate CAO with all my heart. Good enough points since the course was created but the year I want to do it... Nope.
    In fairness, CAO just acts as the clearing house, they are as fair as any system can possibly be. Doesn't matter if you are the Taoiseach's kid or haven't a red cent to your name, they treat you the same!

But that's still shít. Did you miss out by much / what's your next choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dadadum

In fairness, CAO just acts as the clearing house, they are as fair as any system can possibly be. Doesn't matter if you are the Taoiseach's kid or haven't a red cent to your name, they treat you the same!

But that's still shít. Did you miss out by much / what's your next choice?

Missed it by 10. The whole system in general about how the lowest person offered becomes the points to reach is ridiculous. Why can't they maintain a general point area or offer you a place before the exams and tell you what you need to get your place.

I'm gunna be doing arts and possibly transferring to NUIG or somewhere if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 simsha

I got my first choice!! Wow

The whole system in general about how the lowest person offered becomes the points to reach is ridiculous.
    Um, not really tbh.

They have (e.g.) 100 places, the current system means the highest 100 get those places.

It's scrupulously fair, in fairness, no matter how harsh it can feel if you miss out what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

So you know that star, the asterisk, up beside some offers of points. A star I never really took any notice of while doing my Leaving Cert and looking at courses.... Well it means I had enough points but was unlucky enough to not be randomly selected for Law at Trinity.

It makes me feel worse that I was so close yet now am so far away. There were no round 2 offers for that course last year so chances aren't looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Sean33

So I was offered my first place on the level 8 category but I unfortunately can't move to Dublin now. When do I find out about the level 7 category?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Sean33 wrote: »
    So I was offered my first place on the level 8 category but I unfortunately can't move to Dublin now. When do I find out about the level 7 category?

You should have got it below your level 8 offer

You should have got it below your level 8 offer

Just have Level 8 offer? Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Is there a place to view the points for all courses?

Shane15 wrote: »
    Is there a place to view the points for all courses?

No, but I can "show full application"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Is there any way we can tell whether a course is full from round 1 or whether a round 2 will take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is there any way we can tell whether a course is full from round 1 or whether a round 2 will take place?

No, because you have no way of knowing how many people will decline courses and the CAO won't know that for definite until the 25th and Round 1 ends.

Even people who get their first choice decline because they had decided over the summer that it wasn't what they wanted to do anymore and take a year out/repeat/do a PLC etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

No, because you have no way of knowing how many people will decline courses and the CAO won't know that for definite until the 25th and Round 1 ends.

Even people who get their first choice decline because they had decided over the summer that it wasn't what they wanted to do anymore and take a year out/repeat/do a PLC etc.

Thank you very much! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Is going to college without knowing anybody going to that college a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

I hope not because I'm going Galway alone :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Nah, I'd imagine there's plenty of people who are going to a college without knowing anybody going there beforehand. I know one or two people who'll be going to the same college as me but, tbh, I plan on making new friends rather than sticking with the people I know. Join a few societies or clubs and you should be fine I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Finally, my (:p) thread has been resuscitated!

First, to the predictions in the OP. Theoretical Physics in TCD continues to be, surely, the most volatile high-points course in the country rising sixty points to 550. UCD has firmly established itself as the preminnt university for Engineering. I know that that was always the case, but the gap hasn't been so wide in a while: despite having a third-fewer places, TCD trails by twenty-five points. I'm quite surprised by the extent of the fall in Medicine (14-18 points), but was satisfied that UCD has equalled the minimum of TCD because I had tentatively made that prediction in another thread (their points had been converging and UCD has twenty-five percent fewer places).

It seems clear that UCD is bridging the historical prestige-gap to TCD (crude, I know, but IMO points-requirement is what's most responsible for determining the prestige of a college in the minds of non-academics): both Science courses are now the same (despite UCD having a fifth more places); Commerce now only trails BESS by five points; UCD law, with forty percent more places, increased by ten to 510, while TCD Law remained static on 530 (this comparison isn't strictly valid because TCD has separate degrees which combine a language or Politics with Law (which require very high points), wheras those options are included in the single-entry Law degree at UCD; however, Law was one of the courses with which TCD trialed an entrance procedure, which would have reduced number of standard-entry places thereby potentially inflating the minimum).

I say this as a "Trinner", I see that trend continuing, and there are a number of obvious reasons for it. The first is that UCD facilities and buildings are simply better. Be it the new student centre (TCD doesn't have one) or new academic buildings - like Law and Biomedical - UCD is a more modern and complete campus. Then, ofc, there are the far superior sporting facilities which are conveniently accessible. UCD accommodation-provision is much superior, and that may become an increasingly big draw as rents rise and supply decreases.

TCD, however, retains its dominance in the Arts. From another thread (figures given relate to2013):

There are roughly two thirds the number of TSM students as Arts students. The median Arts score was 405. A TSM median isn't published. However, the minimum score for all but four of the TSM courses (together accounting for 10%) was still higher than the Arts median. It's likely, therefore, that the TSM median is substantially higher than that of Arts - especially considering TSM includes TCD's highest points course (Psychology: 580) and joint second highest (Maths: 575) - together accounting for 5%.

If TCD TSM courses were combined into an Arts equivalent without telling anyone (i.e. doing so didn't cause students to change their selection), collective points requirement (i.e. minimum) would likely still be substantially above Arts (you would be including high points courses like PPES and SH Psychology, as well). I think there are three obvious reasons for that: the perception is that TCD is better for Arts/Humanities, while UCD better for Engineering; some students may shirk at having to do several subjects in first year; despite there being many LC high performers in Arts (the highest, in 2012, scored 600), the low minimum is off-putting.

As an aside, assuming NPCAM in TCD stays as is (595) for the second round (which seems very likely given that not everyone on those points received an offer) it will become the highet ever standard-entry CAO course. TCD Medicine had reached 590 for one year in the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Does HEAR apply for round 2 offers?

anyone have ideas ????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

anyone have ideas ????????

Yes, but there is limited number of HEAR places for each course, so somebody else who got in on the HEAR scheme would have to drop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

I don't see why it would be - I'm most looking forward to college as it's a complete fresh start!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Damn course rose 45 points >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ABreal

ITT ANYONE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone know when we find out about SUSI.
    My application was made on June 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Missed it by 10. The whole system in general about how the lowest person offered becomes the points to reach is ridiculous. Why can't they maintain a general point area or offer you a place before the exams and tell you what you need to get your place.

I'm gunna be doing arts and possibly transferring to NUIG or somewhere if I can.

Why have you to do Arts? The points for Science in Maynooth and NUIG are 400 and some Science courses in DIT are 350 with possibility of transferring onto main Science course I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

A course in DIT (Electronic Engineering, DT021) dropped by 3 points this year.. Its the first time I have ever seen a course that isn't divisible by 5..

Medicine, or anything with an interview or portfolio element can be ...

Not sure why an engineering one would be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 podz

Drama and Theatre in Trinity dropped 20 points. I was safe. Mwahahah. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 junior c

Course dropped by 20 points,got in with loads to spare.thanks for help.just to point out as I did not know dit print the prospectus on round one offer points,so that is why I did not realized it down lower in other years.hope everyone is happy with what they got.

• Advertisement

junior c wrote: »
    Course dropped by 20 points,got in with loads to spare.thanks for help.just to point out as I did not know dit print the prospectus on round one offer points
    I think every college does tbh. CAO always has R1 and R2 points up.

Not that it matters to you now, best of luck ;)

Advertisement