Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice - my dog has to be muzzled!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Whispered wrote: »
    Sorry your dog was attacked. How did it happen? One of mine was attacked on his lead once by an offlead dog and now he's very reactive to others when he's on his lead. We're working on it, but it's not easy! :(

So these four incidents that have two of the security guards (that you know of) feeling uncomfortable, happened in the last week? If so they really should be more understanding.

I can understand why you are upset, I really can. But in fairness you seem to just want them to put up with things the way they are when you've been told your dogs offlead and barking at them makes them feel uncomfortable (I keep using that word as it is what the second s.g said to you). I love dogs, I really do, but I wouldn't be happy to put up with someones dogs making me feel unsafe. It's not like the men have a choice, they're working, they have to be there.

Both dogs were offlead at the time.

Listen, I'm not expecting anyone to put up with anything. Please I've said this often enough. The dogs barked when they were startled then stopped once I told them to stop. The security guards are familiar with the dogs and know they are friendly.
    I don't expect anyone to put up with anything, all I would have wanted was them to ask me to keep them on a lead in the evening for when they are doing their patrols rather than me getting notice to have my dog muzzled at all times when she is no harm to anyone. Its as simple as that, I seriously feel it is over the top. I speak to them on a daily basis and don't understand why if it was a problem a quiet word wouldn't have sufficed.
    I'm a reasonable person and would hate to think they have a problem but why would you think theres a problem when they are petting the dogs during the day. They bark for a couple of seconds and stop.
    My first time to realise there was a problem was then the chap shouted at me last night then the management company came today.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Op, I think this guy sounds like a complete and utter twit, and a total jobs worth. With regards to the muzzle, I have a problem with them in general I suppose, but in this case it would seem completely over the top.
    Your dog hasn't bitten anyone, and the security guy can surely not enforce this?
    Even under legislation, a lurched is not a specified breed. Make a complaint, and hold tight for the moment is my humble opinion.
    Good luck!

tk123 wrote: »
    Put a head collar on the dog for a while - they'll think it's a muzzle and back off and it'll solve your problems of not being able to use a collar/harness... You can get Trixie muzzle bands on amazon that look the part but can be left very loose..

Nice one for that, how loose can they be left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I do agree it seems to be overkill. I can totally understand why somebody would not take kindly to dogs barking at them, at the same time, a warning even from the management company, should have sufficed at this stage.

Could you go back with some sort of compromise? I would still say that teaching your lurcher to not bark at people (you can still teach it on command) would be my personal preference, that way you can still have her offlead once the training is complete. If you decide to go down the leashing road, you're managing the situation, but can't have her off. It's lovely to go out at night when it's dark and quiet and the world is asleep. I like the extra bit of freedom it brings for the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Nice one for that, how loose can they be left?

This is it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Extra-Padded-Large-Muzzle/dp/B001FVPSHI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406578109&sr=8-2&keywords=trixie+muzzle+band

It's very soft inside/padded and you can open the whole thing but you'd need it closed if you're attaching a lead to it. There's way more adjustment in it then the measurements given. I got one for my guy when he was eating rubbish that a very kind respectable family were throwing over the park wall :mad:

Could you put a harness on her and leave a long line on it to look the part too...just make sure it doesn't trip the guys! :p

• Advertisement

Ah no need for a long line, I usually take them out on the lead cos lurchers being lurchers tend to get a sniff of a cat or a fox and she's trying to get into the field next to me. There is a fox den in the field so would imagine she gets the scent at night.

I tend to leave them off lead in the evening cos they just have a mosey by the bushes having a sniff and then she parks herself outside where the builders stay during the week cos they give her treats. They have made a rod for their own back there. They also backed me up with the management and said she's grand.

Sorry, may be upsetting but this is why she's not been wearing a collar so therefore not been on the lead.

10502050_10152097013686735_4882813989398325951_n.jpg?oh=2127c846c6158d1e6a7d2839733cb2b9&oe=5458FE89

Ah poor girl, looks like a nasty attack! How will you manage this evening? A head collar might work or depending on the position of the straps some harnesses might avoid the sore areas. I hope the owner of the other dog took responsibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I would go with the head coller and lead since you might live there for some time but the building work will be over soon then you are back to how your life was and not hassle with management.

If you kick up a fuss it could get worse.

The head coller will stop her barking if she pulls on the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Poor girl Mince Pie - hope she recovers soon - It must be hard to cope with not having a secure garden area to let tge dogs do their business at night. I'd approach it this way if dogs are allowed on your lease then I really don't think they can enforce the muzzling idea. But show a little compromise too - I used to have a halti on my dog because it helped him from pulling on a bad hip - the amount of people who asked why was he muzzled? Of course the lurcher would have a long neck so it may not suit her but it's not as restrictive as a muzzle.

Also try and keep her on lead at night for a few weeks - and if there was somewhere you could take her that is safe in the car where she can have some free runs during the brightness. I think if it looks like you're conforming to their request and there's no need for a complaint it could just blow over, however I would be worried if you were seen to be ignoring them they may have grounds to take it further and upset you more.

Hope your girl heals well.

Ah poor girl, looks like a nasty attack! How will you manage this evening? A head collar might work or depending on the position of the straps some harnesses might avoid the sore areas. I hope the owner of the other dog took responsibility!

No the other dog owner hasn't been in contact. I know her aunt and called her to ask her to get in touch and I know her neighbour as I walk my dogs with his gorgeous little schnuazer (sp)
    Thats another thing thats upset me to be honest, that she hasn't even been in touch to see if my pooch is ok. So its been a traumatic week or two and could have done without this as well. Pooch nearly died cos the other dog just missed her jugular by a whisker.

I've also just been to see my neighbours and they lodged a formal complaint against the same security man a month or so ago. He is constantly stirring, now I know how juvenile that sounds but he watches everything and says things that he shouldn't be saying about what people are or aren't doing.

He's had workmen call into my apartment looking for one of the builders after 11pm one night (no builders were in my apartment!!). I complained to the builders cos I felt that maybe there was gossip going on and that I have a boyfriend. It went back to his boss and he wasn't happy about it. (the security man, so when I say he's a jobsworth I mean it)

Maybe the lot of you could get together and lodge a formal complaint about that s.g?

Maybe the lot of you could get together and lodge a formal complaint about that s.g?

Thats what I called into the neighbours about, cos I knew they have had a lot of issues with him as well. They have already lodged a formal complaint so will lodge mine and reference theirs as well.
    Its not just about the dog, its mainly for the reason that he had workmen calling to my door after 11pm one night and then had a go at me the next day when I brought it up with the builders. He was totally belligerent. So if he's going to act like a dick and make everyones life a misery I'm going to complain.
    Its not an isolated incident and if it was just a complaint about the dogs fair enough, but its not, its the last straw.

You said on one post that your dog off lead went up to a guard and had a sniff and left.
    That is not on.
    If your dog did that to me I would be asking you to keep it on lead.

I don't much like strange dogs and that is invading my private space.

Dodd wrote: »
    You said on one post that your dog off lead went up to a guard and had a sniff and left.
    That is not on.
    If your dog did that to me I would be asking you to keep it on lead.

I don't much like strange dogs and that is invading my private space.

But its her private space, its where she lives?? She didn't bark, she moseyed past him. Had a sniff as she walked past. :confused:

You should not have told your neighbors as next time if you have a problem with them the first thing they will bring up is why are you dogs not muzzled.

But its her private space, its where she lives?? She didn't bark, she moseyed past him. Had a sniff as she walked past. :confused:

I mean as how close I would like an unknown person to stand close to me.

If I went up to you and sniffed you would like it.?

My personal space.

If someone or dog gets to close to make you uncomfortable as was said by one guard.

You should not have told your neighbors as next time if you have a problem with them the first thing they will bring up is why are you dogs not muzzled.

Sorry what? They have a dog themselves that I take for walks with mine, so why would they do that and when did I ever say I've had a problem with them? We get on fine.

I mean as how close I would like an unknown person to stand close to me.

If I went up to you and sniffed you would like it.?

My personal space.

I'd find it rather strange if a person came up and sniffed me yes but would consider it perfectly normal behaviour for a dog.

• Advertisement

I'd find it rather strange if a person came up and sniffed me yes but would consider it perfectly normal behaviour for a dog.

I would tell you to get that dog on the lead if it comes to sniff me no matter where it happened.

I would tell you to get that dog on the lead if it comes to sniff me no matter where it happened.

Well fortunately for me you won't be outside my apartment for that to happen.

Well fortunately for me you won't be outside my apartment for that to happen.

Unfortunately for you sacurity guards have/will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Honestly? I would be uncomfortable if an off leash dog start barking at me if it was 30lbs+, I had this happen once with a mastiff mix and I was intimidated! For some reason he just decided to pick on me, and I'm only a petite woman lol! I put it down to what I was wearing (all black/uniform) because I've never had dogs stop and bark at me if I wasn't doing something at work.

I do see your situation as a bit different to my experiences though, I think your security guard is being very dramatic about the whole thing. If I was in his shoes and didn't know you that well before the incidence I would have wanted to know you a bit better so to be more familiar with your dogs and what they are like instead of "omg muzzle that things! reportreportreport!"

...but yeah, I'm someone who works with dogs and loves them to bits. Can't say the same for your security guard though, I'd say a dog owner/lover would have a bit more cop on, at least I'd hope so.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Personal space.

I don't won't someone's uninvited strangers dog there.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

To be honest OP it seems to me you came on here for a rant and now don't like it when other people are trying to talk sense into you. It seems like you only want to be told what you want to hear.

You're lucky to be allowed a dog in an apartment in the first place, let alone a large one, and you're letting it bark at strangers, invade their space and sniff them, and then you act hard done by. Lose the sense of self-entitlement. Your security guard has workplace rights and he is entitled to do his job without feeling threatened by your dog. Your dog has wounds on it, how does he know it didn't get those wounds from attacking another dog? There are other residents besides you and I for one wouldn't want to be woken by a barking dog at 2am. Other people have rights too, not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

The security guard is for guarding the building works while the construction is ongoing correct? He isn't security for the apartment building?
    TBH I would have more of an issue with the fact that your sister has stopped visiting because he is a hassle to deal with and that he is causing hassle for the kids playing. He is not there to monitor the movements and actions of the residence.
    God people renting really need more rights in this country.

I have a dog and live in a flat where there are a number of other flats and my dog is trained not to go up to other residents unless she is called or knows them.
    This when off lead in the garden.

I live where there are Muslims and some in my building who just don't like dogs.
    Yet I get on well with them because I keep my dog from smelling or running up to them.

Understand some people don't want your dog near them including me.

You let you dogs be off lead this is their place when it is not theirs as it is shared and now other people there.
    When you say it is their space............well it is not their space,it is shared space.

If you won't a space where you can keep a dog and walk it in the garden off lead then buy a place with a garden.

Until then keep your dog away from other workers and residents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This thread has well and truly run its course now.
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement