Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bereavement

Options
  • 28-07-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi wondering if my oh is entitled to be paid for days he took off when his sister died, anyone know ,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

There is no legal entitlement to bereavement leave, it is up to the employer. Your oh's employment contract may say something about bereavement or compassionate leave

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Hes hoping they will be good enough to pay him but he wanted to see if he is entitled to be paid or if its at the discretion of his boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Hope I get this right... Force Majeure is NOT granted for the death of a close family member... However, this depends on your contract of employment. In my experience, most employers will give paid leave for such an incident, however, there is no obligation on them to.

Force Majeure can be 3 days in a 12 month period of 5 days in a 36 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Ok thanks so its really up to his employer if they decide to pay him or not ( hopefully they will )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

NSAman wrote: »
    Hope I get this right... Force Majeure is NOT granted for the death of a close family member... However, this depends on your contract of employment. In my experience, most employers will give paid leave for such an incident, however, there is no obligation on them to.

Force Majeure can be 3 days in a 12 month period of 5 days in a 36 month period.
    Correct; from Citizeninformation.ie FM is:
    If you have a family crisis the Parental Leave Acts 1998 and 2006 give an employee a limited right to leave from work. This is known as force majeure leave. It arises where, for urgent family reasons, the immediate presence of the employee is indispensable owing to an injury or illness of a close family member.

Compassionate leave
    If a member of your close family dies you have no entitlement to force majeure leave. Other compassionate leave not covered by force majeure leave will depend on your employment contract, custom and practice within your workplace or the employer's discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

kline64 wrote: »
    Hes hoping they will be good enough to pay him but he wanted to see if he is entitled to be paid or if its at the discretion of his boss

Why doesn't he take it as part of annual leave? He would be paid then.

Advertisement