Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Giant car supermarket

• 28-07-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Has anyone bought a car from Car Giant in England?

Would be grateful for any knowledge / experience, what to look for etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

CiniO has bought his Civic off them. He was satisfied and happy with the experience.

CiniO, care to post more? ;) As far as I remember, they didn't have the car he wanted, but offered him another one or something like that. CarGiant gets overall very positive reviews. Probably one of the best car supermarkets in the UK.

Most if not all cars are ex-fleet and have been serviced on schedule, their condition wouldn't be bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I bought a Passat cc off them last month.
    I found them difficult intially as the would not take a deposit over the phone or allow you to pay for the car in full unless you have viewed it.
    normal practiCe i suppose but i didnt want to book flights etc and then find out the car was gone.
    I got a lad living in london to inspect and pay a deposit for me . he pointed out a few marks here and there.then they take it away and attend to any marks,scuffs etc ,return an hour later ask if you are happy, then test drive and either proceed or walk away- no pressure.
    The price is the price,no negotation on it at all and the €99 admin fee they charge is also set in stone.
    `
    Bank draft or cash up to £10000.

They do try to upsell,lifetime wax etc but overall they seemed fair enough and good to deal with.
    salesman told me they sell 200 cars a day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I bought from Car Giant last year, here's how I got on.

When I saw the car I wanted on the website, I rang up Car Giant, who told me they could hold my car for up to 24 hours free of charge til I got over from Ireland. Hopped onto the Ryanair site and booked a flight from Kerry to Luton for €100, and ran into my bank to pick up a bank draft for the requisite amount.

When I got to Luton I hopped on a train to Central London and then onto the tube out to Willesden Junction, then a 15 minute walk, was at Cargiant in a little over an hour and a half from the airport. Handy enough.

When I got to Cargiant I went into reception B I think. Cargiant is huge so they have different receptions to deal with different sections and makes. I was met there by the salesman who showed me to the car, let me take it for a short test drive and have a look around the car and at the engine. You're left at it for as long as you want more or less. The test route is around the industrial estate where Cargiant is based so you don't get a great spin in it, just enough to get a basic feel for the car.

When I was happy with the car, I went back inside with the salesman who went through the particulars of the car and tried to sell me a full car valet, which I didn't want. The car was very clean already, whether this had been done when the car came in or beforehand, I'm not sure.

The price is non negotiable, it's what you see on the website, plus the £99 admin fee. There's no hard sell from the salesman, it's a very relaxed atmosphere, and they're friendly. He explained to me that the car had no tax on it and gave me an option to tax it but as I was taking the car straight home I chanced it and left it off. They give you access to a phone and internet in the waiting area to arrange insurance etc. I then had to pay for the car with my bank draft, and a lady went through the relevant forms with me and gave me the documents I needed. Then I collected my keys and set off. I was there about 3 hours altogether, but was having a few problems with my insurance company which held me up. They'll usually agree to insure you to drive on the UK reg for around 30 days.

By this time it was 7.30pm and I wasn't making a boat so I stayed the night with a friend and went home the next day. Depending on whether you're coming back to Dublin or Rosslare, you want to give yourself at least 6 hours to get to the port from London.

Overall, they were a pleasure to deal with. The salesman wasn't pushy, the process was efficient and the car was in great condition. The only down side is that you don't get a great test drive, however most of the cars they sell are ex fleet cars with full service history and all that. And you'll get a good test drive rattling up the motorway to Wales!

I'd definately recommend them, will probably be going back to them again.

Advertisement