Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re bins - cheapest option?

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what type of bin collection people have found most economical ie by weight or by lift?

We are a family of 3 - one nappy wearing infant and another on the way. I'd consider our bin usage as average ie we'd cook a dinner every night.

We never had to pay bin charges before as we lived in an apt but have since moved - its hard to envisage what would be the cheapest option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

We moved away from Greyhound before we had to pay the service charge as i felt it was silly money to pay for the service especially since I didnt find it very good.

There are two of us in the house and we fill the recycling bin every two weeks on average but the main black bin only needs to go out every four or five weeks so it didn't make sense to pay for the year.

I remember doing a lot of hunting for the best deal at the time and found that Oxigen had a deal to pay per collection of the Black bin I think its €13, all the operators do the green bin for free afaik. And Greyhound have picked up my green bin on a week when Oxigen were not collecting, I put it out chancing my arm and it got picked up.
    Best thing to do is google all the waste collectors in your area and see which suits you the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

I'm just wondering what type of bin collection people have found most economical ie by weight or by lift?

We are a family of 3 - one nappy wearing infant and another on the way. I'd consider our bin usage as average ie we'd cook a dinner every night.

We never had to pay bin charges before as we lived in an apt but have since moved - its hard to envisage what would be the cheapest option.

I'm with city bin, think there the cheapest and the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Not that I'm old enough to be paying bills and stuff, but Mod note: Advocating breaking the law is contrary to DC charter. Card issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not that I'm old enough to be paying bills and stuff, Mod note: See Above

That's illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Greyhound just called me offering Eur10/month flat, no weight restriction.

I said I like the big brown bin CityBins gave me, as i use it for grass etc, & he offered to add a second brown bin free.

Unknowing to me, I just paid CityBins Eur170 upfront for my second year with them from July 14 to June 15 by credit card, but I don't think this is a fixed contract, & would like to move. I got no notification that this was to be taken.

Thoughts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

banchang wrote: »

I said I like the big brown bin CityBins gave me, as i use it for grass etc, & he offered to add a second brown bin free.

Unknowing to me, I just paid CityBins Eur170 upfront for my second year with them from July 14 to June 15 by credit card, but I don't think this is a fixed contract, & would like to move. I got no notification that this was to be taken.

Thoughts ?

Is that €10 per month a flat fee ie 10 x 12 months making a total annual cost of €120 pa and no other charges or standing charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

jussayeh wrote: »
    Is that €10 per month a flat fee ie 10 x 12 months making a total annual cost of €120 pa and no other charges or standing charge ?

Yes - it gets even better however - if I pay upfront, its Eur99 pa - no other charges !

Yes - it gets even better however - if I pay upfront, its Eur99 pa - no other charges !

Wow that's fantasitc - I'm going to ring them .... I'm paying €15 pm flat fee, no standing charge for Greyhound but I'll be honest they're bank holiday weekend services are very hit and miss which is fine if its a green collection but if its a grey collection that they miss you're stuck with stinking, fly infested bins for another week or more waiting on them to come back.

I've had to email them twice in the last 18 months about missed bank holiday collections ... A friend who lives in a different area just left Greyhound recently for that reason ...

But thanks for the heads up, when/if they reply to my last email I'll try negotiate that deal with them ...

Its not compulsory yet to use the brown bin in our area so nobody does so it might not be so easy to get them to give that for free but €10 pm for the grey bin would be a 33% reduction on what I pay now which would be great! Thanks

Thoughts ?

I emailed Greyhound, who I'm currently with, complaining that none of the bins in my estate were collected this bank holiday weekend, that this was the second time they'd missed the collection in 18 months and that I'd been offered a deal of €99 pa to move to City Bin and that I was one of the few people left in my estate with them as most had moved to City Bins but he totally disinterested and actually quite rude, told me that they had the cheapest rates in the city of €15.50 and that if I wanted to move that I was to email him back and he'd HELP ME lol ... imagine .... At this point I"d switch to any other provider and pay them even a euro more a month to simply deprive these my businesss ..... talk about feeling like a valued customer ... He got my back up so much I'm going to move anywhere else first thing Monday ....

I would

Advertisement