Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrimination??

• 28-07-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

its 4 women dot ie
    the home of cheap car insurance for Women in Ireland.

I didn't think you could discriminate against certain members of society and choose who you will and won't insure because of their sex, :confused:
    I can imagine the uproar if their was an insurance for men only website, (or maybe there is one)

Is this not Discrimination??
    Just wondering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It appears to me to be a mechanism to get around the rule which said that insurance companies had to treat men and women the same i.e. no gender loading which was typically a means of charging young male drivers more than their female peers.

By only offering insurance to women, it means that in general they will get lower risk drivers. Technically that means that other companies will have to load all of their policyholders if there is a mass flight of female drivers to that new company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

The cant differentiate by gender.

This site pre-dated the elimination of these weighting rules - they just use it now to discourage men, but insurance is available for them - try entering the details as a woman and then the same details as a man to see what difference it makes, it shouldn't make any or they are breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

thisNthat wrote: »
    Just wondering

I've always thought the point of insurance is to discriminate. E.g: Oh, you've just bought a 400+ BHP BMW M3 and your 18 with a full license a month? Sure, insurance is 10k!

Oh, you're a 60 YO with a 1 litre yaris, do 5,000km a year and drove for the last 40 years with no claims. Cheap insurance for you.

Maybe I'm alone but that's how I view it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Reati wrote: »
    I've always thought the point of insurance is to discriminate. E.g: Oh, you've just bought a 400+ BHP BMW M3 and your 18 with a full license a month? Sure, insurance is 10k!

Oh, you're a 60 YO with a 1 litre yaris, do 5,000km a year and drove for the last 40 years with no claims. Cheap insurance for you.

You are 100% correct but the EU has spoken. People wanted equality, so the insurers raised the lady rates up to that of the chaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Fair point but they're not the same,
    What I meant was, if 2 people (one male, one female) both wanted to insure that BMW,
    They cannot now say to the male driver "no we won't insure you because your a man"
    Comparing an 18 year old on a car like that cannot be compared to a 60yo in a 1litre yaris,
    Comparisons between male and female drivers should be done like for like (as in same age, same car etc) and then see the difference in price,
    If its not the same then surly thats discrimination to either party, is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Same price for Male/Female with otherwise identical details...

If its not the same then surly thats discrimination to either party, is it not?

It is but like I said, insurance is based on discrimination, that's the whole theory behind it. Being a male who is 18 with a BMW is a statistically bigger risk compared to a girl who is 18 with a BMW. It's not fair, it's not just but it's the statistical risk according to the insurance companies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It is but like I said, insurance is based on discrimination, that's the whole theory behind it. Being a male who is 18 with a BMW is a statistically bigger risk compared to a girl who is 18 with a BMW. It's not fair, it's not just but it's the statistical risk according to the insurance companies!

Since last year, gender based loading is illegal, so in your stated example, the quote would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

I am female and have insurance with them and have my son as named driver.

Since last year, gender based loading is illegal, so in your stated example, the quote would be the same.

Now we have that, we should make sure that age can no longer be a factor - I feel discriminated because I'm under 30 and over 30's get a better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭fits

It just means they get to charge the higher equalised premiums to a lower risk group. Its genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fits wrote: »
    It just means they get to charge the higher equalised premiums to a lower risk group. Its genius!

Correct, a lot of men will be put off by the business name and won't bother seeking a quote so by default they will hoover up a lot of female drivers, thus they will have a lower risk profile which should translate into less claims and extra profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

The company responsible for http://www.its4women.ie/ is MCL Insurance Services Ltd.

Google it and you'll also find:
    http://www.25plus.ie/ cheaper insurance for over 25s
    http://www.easyinsure.ie/ providing cheaper insurance to everyone

Haven't tried it, but I'd guess the prices are the same on all three sites.. assuming the policies t&Cs are identical.

It's just a way of splitting up the market similar to what lever brothers used to do with laundry detergents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

its 4 women dot ie
    the home of cheap car insurance for Women in Ireland.

I didn't think you could discriminate against certain members of society and choose who you will and won't insure because of their sex, :confused:
    I can imagine the uproar if their was an insurance for men only website, (or maybe there is one)

Just wondering

They're not, they would have to provide a quote for a man if he wants one, but they are promoting insurance for women. Since the ruling last year insurance companies can't discriminate on gender. However promoting insurance to a certain sector of the market is not illegal.

Advertisement