Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up VPN and/or email server

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hi Eircom, 
    I'm currently subscribed to your eFibre 70Mb down/20Mb up broadband package. I've gotten my hands on a Raspberry Pi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
    and am wondering...am I allowed to set up my own VPN and/or email server on it and run them through my broadband connection? I have heard before about some ISPs not allowing home servers on residential connections, but am unsure if this is still true today, given the affordability of Network Attached Storage devices. If I set up the VPN (note, I mean making my own, and not just simply subscribing to a commercial VPN) and my email server, would Eircom suspend my account, or do some other action?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Hi Eircom, 
    I'm currently subscribed to your eFibre 70Mb down/20Mb up broadband package. I've gotten my hands on a Raspberry Pi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
    and am wondering...am I allowed to set up my own VPN and/or email server on it and run them through my broadband connection? I have heard before about some ISPs not allowing home servers on residential connections, but am unsure if this is still true today, given the affordability of Network Attached Storage devices. If I set up the VPN (note, I mean making my own, and not just simply subscribing to a commercial VPN) and my email server, would Eircom suspend my account, or do some other action?
    Thanks.
    Hi RikuoAmero

I'll need to look in to this for you, if you could leave this with me I will get back to you as soon as I have some clarification and more information.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement