Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Commute bike - novice

• 28-07-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Over the next few months I will be moving up to Dundalk from Dublin, but still working here. I am anow thinking i will get bike for the commute.
    Have driven bikes a bit a good few years ago, but on a very very small scale and will have to do the IBT etc etc

So, I am wondering what people feel is a good commute bike for a novice. Looking to keep the budget as close as possible to 2k.
    Would be doing some weekend spins, but the main function is up and down the M1 Monday to Friday, so safety, comfort and fuel consumption are the main boxes to tick i suppose. Will also want some luggage space for the tin of fruit and shoes

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd go with some sort of cheap old touring bike. That's 50 miles each way, a long trek.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-deuville/7379089
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-lt-k1000/7379476
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-k75rt/7229060
    I've no idea what the story is with licences, I'm sure others here no more about that.
    To make it comfortable, you'll need to spend money on a good jacket, gloves, boots etc, and stuff like that needs to be replaced more often when you're doing big miles, don't forget to take that into account when you're setting out your budget. When you're doing 50 miles straight on the motorway in 1 and 2 degree heat you'll be glad you spend the €100 on gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd go with some sort of cheap old touring bike. That's 50 miles each way, a long trek.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-deuville/7379089
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-lt-k1000/7379476
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-k75rt/7229060
    I've no idea what the story is with licences, I'm sure others here no more about that.
    To make it comfortable, you'll need to spend money on a good jacket, gloves, boots etc, and stuff like that needs to be replaced more often when you're doing big miles, don't forget to take that into account when you're setting out your budget. When you're doing 50 miles straight on the motorway in 1 and 2 degree heat you'll be glad you spend the €100 on gloves

cheers mate, appreciate that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Get a Deauville with heated grips. Every other option is 2nd best. This is what they were designed for.

Bulletproof.
    Easy on Fuel.
    Faired to keep the worst of the elements off you.

Shaft driven, so no more chain and Sprockets to worry about.

Jaden wrote: »
    Get a Deauville with heated grips. Every other option is 2nd best. This is what they were designed for.

Bulletproof.
    Easy on Fuel.
    Faired to keep the worst of the elements off you.

Shaft driven, so no more chain and Sprockets to worry about.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Also take a look for a 900 Diversion, should be able to pick one up for smaller money than a clean deauville - they are also shaft driven and will run forever. Comfortable and well able to munch motorway miles. You could pick one up for very little money, spend a little on it and still have change over the comparable deauville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You also can't legally drive on the motorway until you have a full license.

thanks again folks.

regarding the licence, i am booked in for theory shortly and will then be going for the full straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

miller82 wrote: »
    thanks again folks.

regarding the licence, i am booked in for theory shortly and will then be going for the full straight away

As far as i know you cannot apply for your full licence test until you hold your permit for a minimum of 6 months.

goodlad wrote: »
    As far as i know you cannot apply for your full licence test until you hold your permit for a minimum of 6 months.

well thats a kick in the b0ll0x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

goodlad wrote: »

Correct.

"You can’t apply for a driving test within six months of receiving a learner permit."

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/

Learner permit, IBT, then 6 months since receiving your learner permit you can apply to do your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

Apply before the 6th month (I applied after 3 and a half) and that will give you a better chance of getting a test date on the 6th month.

I was able to do the test at exactly 6 months.

thats a game changer

So am i right in thinking the process and order is as follows :

apply for theory test
    sit and ideally pass theory test
    apply for learner permit ( with medical and eye test confirmation, theory test confirmation, proof of address and ID)
    find an IBT coach - d the required hours training.
    apply for full license with all the above confirms.

apply for theory test
    apply for learner permit ( with medical and eye test confirmation, theory test confirmation, proof of address and ID)
    find an IBT coach - do the required hours training

Wait 6 months
    apply for driving test
    pass test
    Get full license. :D

Yep, all correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

So am i right in thinking the process and order is as follows :

apply for theory test
    find an IBT coach - d the required hours training.
    apply for full license with all the above confirms.

There are exceptions or reasons why some people might need a medical (if you're turning age 70 etc) but generally, most people won't need one. If in doubt read NDLS website or ring them.

If you already have a car license, you probably won't need to do an eyesight test at all[/b]. Ring NDLS and ask first. I had done an eyesight test, arrived at NDLS and was told it wasn't needed as they could use the details taken previously for the car license (some years before hand!)

NDLS will also ask for proof of PPSN. Bring a recent payslip with you. So, thats proof of address and proof of PPSN, and photo ID (make sure its not expired).

Lastly, you can 'book' appointments at the NDLS centres to skip queues. If you're confident of passing the theory test (STUDY!), make the NDLS appointment as close to the test date as you can. If you can't get an appointment, be there at dawn ;)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

I'm just slightly ahead of you in this. Did my theory last weekend and got straight onto the NDLS website to find an office that could get me in quickest. I live in Rush, Dublin, so tried Santry (1 week wait) and was lucky enough to get an appointment in Drogheda on Tuesday. Should have the permit by end of next week, ready for the IBT course.

About the motorway issue - The train will do you a great service for those first six months (1.5hrs), specially through the winter months.

laraido wrote: »
    Should have the permit by end of next week, ready for the IBT course.

Don't hold your breath. I'm waiting almost 3 weeks for mine to arrive. :( Until it arrives I can't start my IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

Paulw wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath. I'm waiting almost 3 weeks for mine to arrive. :( Until it arrives I can't start my IBT.

Nothing surprises me with the system, right down to the lack of ticket machines for the walk-in applications : |

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/lovely-diversion-900/7552964

Just seen this on donedeal, could probably knock another 2-300 off the asking and have yourself a cheap reliable commuter that will last you a long time.

cheers for all the info folks. greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

Speaking from experience (of doing Drogheda-Dublin for last 3+ years), Dundalk-Dublin is a long way to bike every day. If you are anywhere near the train tracks, and if your office hours allows, the enterprise would be the best option (settle down with a book, tablet, movie, sleep or work even). Or Matthews coaches.

If you really do want to bike, watch out for windy days. Parts of M1 has strong cross winds and it can be a bit scary especially when you are just starting to gain experience. Doing that distance in winter, you would either need very good heated gloves or a combination of heated grips and muffs. Also set aside at least €500 for good waterproof gear. And absolutely definitely wear ear plugs. Sign up for fuel card / reward thingees, because you would be filling up for 15-20 euro almost every day.

positron wrote: »
    Speaking from experience (of doing Drogheda-Dublin for last 3+ years), Dundalk-Dublin is a long way to bike every day. If you are anywhere near the train tracks, and if your office hours allows, the enterprise would be the best option (settle down with a book, tablet, movie, sleep or work even). Or Matthews coaches.

If you really do want to bike, watch out for windy days. Parts of M1 has strong cross winds and it can be a bit scary especially when you are just starting to gain experience. Doing that distance in winter, you would either need very good heated gloves or a combination of heated grips and muffs. Also set aside at least €500 for good waterproof gear. And absolutely definitely wear ear plugs. Sign up for fuel card / reward thingees, because you would be filling up for 15-20 euro almost every day.

thanks for that .
    i'm cooling on the idea slightly. might not rushg it anyway

didnt realise the juice would cost that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

thanks for that .
    i'm cooling on the idea slightly. might not rushg it anyway

didnt realise the juice would cost that much

I think those fuel calculations may be a bit off.

Just by going off aa route planner site. Drogheada to Dublin is 50km and expected fuel cost is 7.23 per day.

My commute is 60km and costs me roughly between 35 & 40 a week. Thats on a 20 year old 400cc

Regarding the wind - There a 3 spots on the M4 where the cross winds can be bad for 1 km or so but you learn where they are and prepare for them. They aint that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

miller82 is considering Dundalk-Drogheda and back, so that's about 160-170 kms a day.

Motorway riding can be very fuel efficient, but even with the fuel-efficient bikes that are out there like BMW F650GS (4l/100km) or Honda NC700 (3.5l/100km), we are still talking about 7+ liters of petrol a day = 11/12 euro a day.

Doing that sort of distances, most bikes would need a oil change every three months (€50 if you diy), new set of tires every year (€300+), and the usual service and maintenance costs. These are all guesstimates and approximations, individual mileage might vary.

It is not cheap, but on the other hand, the freedom a bike gives you to go where you want to go without having to tune your life around a train/bus schedule, to keep going when all other traffic grinds to a halt, to go on rides with your friends, to explore roads that you have never been on before, to experience the joy of acceleration that you would otherwise only get from expensive sports cars.. It's priceless!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

positron wrote: »
    miller82 is considering Dundalk-Drogheda and back, so that's about 160-170 kms a day.

Motorway riding can be very fuel efficient, but even with the fuel-efficient bikes that are out there like BMW F650GS (4l/100km) or Honda NC700 (3.5l/100km), we are still talking about 7+ liters of petrol a day = 11/12 euro a day.

Doing that sort of distances, most bikes would need a oil change every three months (€50 if you diy), new set of tires every year (€300+), and the usual service and maintenance costs. These are all guesstimates and approximations, individual mileage might vary.

It is not cheap, but on the other hand, the freedom a bike gives you to go where you want to go without having to tune your life around a train/bus schedule, to keep going when all other traffic grinds to a halt, to go on rides with your friends, to explore roads that you have never been on before, to experience the joy of acceleration that you would otherwise only get from expensive sports cars.. It's priceless!!

My bad. I miss read.

Advertisement