Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy on a tree

• 28-07-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I have a tall tree, a silver birch I think that has a lot of green ivy growing way up the tree. The ivy is of course coming from the ground. It would be a big job to remove all the ivy from the tree so I am thinking if I removed a section of the ivy from the ground to say 5 feet up the tree leaving a gap between the ivy coming from the ground and the ivy up the tree would the rest of the ivy above that point die once the connection to the ivy on the ground is severed or will the ivy be able to get its nutrients from the tree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I have a tall tree, a silver birch I think that has a lot of green ivy growing way up the tree. The ivy is of course coming from the ground. It would be a big job to remove all the ivy from the tree so I am thinking if I removed a section of the ivy from the ground to say 5 feet up the tree leaving a gap between the ivy coming from the ground and the ivy up the tree would the rest of the ivy above that point die once the connection to the ivy on the ground is severed or will the ivy be able to get its nutrients from the tree.

Have done this before leave about a foot between were you cut the ivy above and below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Have done this on very large trees and as I said, a foot will do it (otherwise it may reconnect), with the starting cut at ground level. Take care not to damage the bark of the tree. The ivy will grow back up the tree but is then much easier to spend a few minutes every year removing the thin ivy strands from the trunk. I have seen ivy go back up into a large tree within 5 years (12-15 meters). I have to say it is pleasurable to watch the ivy slowly wither after cutting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You don't need to cut out so much (1ft is all that's needed) but ivy sometimes pulls away very easy and it isn't so hard to clear a large portion of the trunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Thanks guys and the answers I was hoping for. Getting the lader out or trying to climb the tree was putting me off doing the job. I am quickly coming to the realisation that a small amount of time spent in the garden a couple of times a month saves on a lot of work if you leave the that work build up over a few years. Things that you do not want in your garden like weeds and ivy seem to thrive if left alone whereas nice things you would like in your garden, flowers and such need constant attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

A foot will be fine, I think ivy can be quite attractive on walls but destroys the plaster work and keeps them damp and I have planted it around an ESB pole in my garden to camouflage it, expect I will be in trouble with the power people at some point. I have seen ivy climb back out of the ground again and restrat the process so it may be wise to follow the offending strands as far back along the ground as you can trace it and pull out as much as you can to twart its sense of direction If not checked it will restrict and eventually strangle the tree. Happy pulling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭bmc58

Cut all the ivy round the base of the tree,leaving about 3" of a gap.The ivy will soon turn brown and die.You will be able to pull most of the dead stuff away after a few months.If you leave it(without cutting the ivy) the ivy will eventually smother the tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ivy does not strangle trees.

This old thread may interest you Prisoner6409
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524232

Advertisement