Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I could see Borini playing a similar role for us as Kuyt did if he stayed. He has some similar attributes in terms of his workrate, attitude and movement. For £14m I'd sell him, but I won't be unhappy if he stays.

I'm personally hoping that Borini's much lauded movement takes him to the Stadium of Light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sending Origi back to Lille is the right decision. He's raw - let him have another year in a comfortable environment at a decent level where he gets played regularly.

That leaves us needing a striker though however...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Cheeky 20m bid for Heskey should snap him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Augmerson wrote: »
    Cheeky 20m bid for Heskey should snap him up.

What?... Ayre should lowball for another player ?! :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Definitely agree we still need another striker.

That said my priority would still be to bring in a LB and RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ins:
    Lallana £20m
    Lambert £5m
    Markovic £20m
    Origi £10m
    Can £10m
    Lovren £20m

Total £85m

Outs:
    Suarez £75m
    Origi LOAN
    Wisdom LOAN

Total £75m

Net spend £10m

Squad

Mignolet/Jones

Johnson/Flanagan
    Enrique/Robinson

Lovren/Skrtel/Toure----Sakho/Agger/Ilori

Gerrard/Lucas

Henderson/Allen/Can

Coutinho/Lallana/Suso

---Sterling/Ibe
    Markovic/Borini--

Sturridge/Lambert

A lot of depth and plenty of quality there, but we need 1) a striker, 2) a fullback and 3) a sub goalkeeper.

We have enough depth to cover injuries everywhere except fullback imo. We need another body in there, Flanno's flexibility will help us a lot with so many games coming up.

There is a lot of flexibility there in attacking positions with players able to fulfil different roles, but I still think we will struggle if Sturridge is out.

With possibly Borini, Agger and Assaidi to leave we could soon be at a zero net spend level.

You'd hope there is room for a 20/30/40 million attacking player. Who though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Parish notice - not for discussion.

Lost another one, the good news is that another one is due back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Right bunch of Suarez's in this place with the number of suspensions that are being picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Daemonic wrote: »
    Right bunch of Suarez's in this place with the number of suspensions that are being picked up.

People need to be more careful!
    There's only 2.5 weeks to the new season!!

We'll have nobody to start match threads at this rate, they will end up being started by Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal fans! Is that what you really want? Is it???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The Mail online ( I know) claims Borini's move is ON

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The Mail online ( I know) claims Borini's move is ON

Great. Is it still 14m?? That's stupid money from them.

Vanolder wrote: »

Dunno, being the Mail I didn't go much deeper than the headline :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vanolder wrote: »

Yes It looks like that was the agreed price and still is.
    However, the 23-year-old travelled with Liverpool to America for their pre-season tour only to suffer a shoulder injury and return to the UK for treatment.

He has since spoken to Sunderland although his injury is a complicating factor.

As, too, is Liverpool’s decision not to sign QPR frontman Loic Remy after he failed a medical at the weekend and manager Brendan Rodgers says Borini’s situation has an impact on their pursuit of another forward.

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet, meanwhile, is keen to bring the Italy international back to Wearside but will not allow the proposed deal to drag on beyond the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sending Origi back to Lille is the right decision. He's raw - let him have another year in a comfortable environment at a decent level where he gets played regularly.

Yep, that's the problem, isn't it. I think Origi is a good buy and could work out well for us in the future, but I'd feel a lot better about buying him and loaning him back if we didn't have a need for another striker right now! Not that I think he could fill that role this season, but it's just a bit 'meh' that we need a striker, and we buy one for the future.

That said, while the club couldn't have known that Remy would have failed the medical, I'm sure they'll do their best to come up with a replacement, or make the most out of what we have.

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If we're looking for a striker, Ameobi and Bendtner are available...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

martyos121 wrote: »
    If we're looking for a striker, Ameobi and Bendtner are available...
    I wonder why...:D

jasonb wrote: »
    but it's just a bit 'meh' that we need a striker, and we buy one for the future.

I think it's great. If we'd had this regime in the past we have signed the likes of Walcott, Ramsey or Bale. As it was we couldn't compete for those players because things were too tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

A lot of depth and plenty of quality there, but we need 1) a striker, 2) a fullback and 3) a sub goalkeeper.

You didn't include Reina in the Outs section or in the squad.

I think it's great. If we'd had this regime in the past we have signed the likes of Walcott, Ramsey or Bale. As it was we couldn't compete for those players because things were too tight.

That's a good point and don't get me wrong, it's definitely good to buy for the future. It just jars a bit when we also need to buy for now, if you know what I mean?

Of course, this has all become an issue due to the failed medical, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue at all. So it's hardly bad planning on the club's side of things or anything like that.

J.

punk_one82 wrote: »
    You didn't include Reina in the Outs section or in the squad.

Or Assaidi.

They seem to be in some kind of limbo. It's pretty clear that Reina is not considered part of the squad though. Jones has had all the game time so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

5live wrote: »
    I wonder why...:D

Must be because Rodgers is unsure of their leaning ability.
    Can't think of any other reason...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looking at the interview with Rodgers that Daithijjj posted, and he spoke of speaking to players and they have to have the right attitude.

I wonder if Rodgers pulled the plug on the Remy deal due to something he didn't like in him and the medical is just a smokescreen.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Looking at the interview with Rodgers that Daithijjj posted, and he spoke of speaking to players and they have to have the right attitude.

I wonder if Rodgers pulled the plug on the Remy deal due to something he didn't like in him and the medical is just a smokescreen.

The thing about saying someone failed a medical though is that you'd imagine that they'd have to say why (at least to the Player / other Club). They can't just say 'nah, he didn't get it'. It's too scientific to just make up a reason to fail. At least, that's how I'd imagine it, but I know feck all about this really! ;)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If the manager did that I would lose a lot of respect for him to taint a players career like that would be a disgrace of the highest order.

Atletico have an agreement with Bakkali after LFC couldn't agree to £2m and a packet of bacon fries

The thing about saying someone failed a medical though is that you'd imagine that they'd have to say why (at least to the Player / other Club). They can't just say 'nah, he didn't get it'. It's too scientific to just make up a reason to fail. At least, that's how I'd imagine it, but I know feck all about this really! ;)

J.
    If the manager did that I would lose a lot of respect for him to taint a players career like that would be a disgrace of the highest order.

Well in fairness neither Rodgers or the club have publically stated that he failed the medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I haven't read a single quote from Rodgers that he said Remy failed a medical or anyone to do with the club for that matter, its all speculation.

This is hugely unhelpful speculation, sort of thing Harry Redknapp would suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Would it worthwhile keeping reina around?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

DrumSteve wrote: »

I think so but it's the wages he is on that is prohibitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

DrumSteve wrote: »

Be handy if we could give him some time in preseason to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

That's a good point and don't get me wrong, it's definitely good to buy for the future. It just jars a bit when we also need to buy for now, if you know what I mean?

Of course, this has all become an issue due to the failed medical, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue at all. So it's hardly bad planning on the club's side of things or anything like that.

J.

I understand what you're saying, but as I said yesterday we are in a position where we can invest in the future in a big way (10m is a lot for a 19 year old with little football under his belt even in this market) yet still have more than enough funds to strengthen the first team. One is not hindered by the other - for once we're in the relatively luxurious position of being able to do both, partly because of superb squad building by Rodgers/the unexpected rise of players like Sterling, Flanagan, even Henderson and partly because of the Suarez money.

Signing Origi will have no bearing on our budget or activity in strengthening the first team. I am pretty confident we will make the signing required in the attacking area once the right target is identified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

If.

This is hugely unhelpful speculation, sort of thing Harry Redknapp would suggest.

Well it's what the media said as soon as it came out. This stuff gets 'leaked' unofficially all the time.

Well it's what the media said as soon as it came out. This stuff gets 'leaked' unofficially all the time.

and you believe the football media all the time I take it? Or are you directly accusing the club of undermining Remy?

• Advertisement

Well in fairness neither Rodgers or the club have publically stated that he failed the medical.

I didn't realise this. Rodgers has said publically that the deal is off though, hasn't he? I wonder what changed, as clearly the club wanted Remy.
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Signing Origi will have no bearing on our budget or activity in strengthening the first team. I am pretty confident we will make the signing required in the attacking area once the right target is identified.

As would I be, I have a lot of faith in the Club and how it's being run. I'm just a little worried that the Striker need was going to be filled by Remy, and now, for whatever reason, that isn't going to happen, so the Club have to go to Plan B (which to be fair to them, they probably have decided on, just in case).

Don't worry, I'm not in a meltdown or anything like that! ;)

J.

and you believe the football media all the time I take it? Or are you directly accusing the club of undermining Remy?

What are you getting at?

When it came out that the deal was off it was all over the media about the medical but nothing was said by the club.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything not that a poster on an internet forum is that important.

What are you getting at?

When it came out that the deal was off it was all over the media about the medical but nothing was said by the club.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything not that a poster on an internet forum is that important.

No, but it might tell us what you think about the club/Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You need to get some Park Life mate, chill out to fack.

It's perfectly reasonable to muse about the possible reasons as to why the Remy deal was scrapped, and does not need to incur your boorish "defence" of the manager's motives. Whether or not the club have "steered" the media in the direction of the failed medical is academic to us, there could have been a number of reasons why the deal was scuppered (eg attitude of player / wage demands / agent wants a hefty bonus / etc) and if the press want to sell rags by making up a failed medical story then it is not LFC's job to correct them either way.
    Also, and this for me is the ironic thing.. If the deal fell through because of the player's attitude and Rodgers had come out and stated that reason, it would be a hell of a lot more damning for the player's future chances of securing a contract with a top club than LFC not disputing a made up "failed medical" story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The main rumour doing the rounds in the UK seems to be that Willie McKay struck again, and that is why the move fell apart.

A google search on some of Mr McKay's finest moments and his shared history with the likes of Harry Redknapp makes for some interesting reading, and shows how much of an impact agents can have

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you wish to discuss modding matters PM the mods. Dispute threads are not up for discussion, and the mention of them here is not acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Kess73 wrote: »
    The main rumour doing the rounds in the UK seems to be that Willie McKay struck again, and that is why the move fell apart.

A google search on some of Mr McKay's finest moments and his shared history with the likes of Harry Redknapp makes for some interesting reading, and shows how much of an impact agents can have

Was he trying to get more money at the end or what?

I really don't know what you're getting it.

Look for my old posts to see my views on the club.

I was just saying that I don't really believe that Remy really failed a medical for the deal to fall through

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Dejan Lovren has been unable to join his new Liverpool team-mates in the U.S after failing to obtain a visa in time. (Mail)

Lovren: "I will train with the U-21 team in Liverpool. Brendan Rodgers will send a program for me to practice."

Hope this doesnt hold his pre season back in any way

Todays Sunderland Echo, looks like Borini deal is inevitable. Thank God
    SUNDERLAND have held talks with Fabio Borini, although the Liverpool frontman’s future is being held up by his shoulder injury.

It is approaching a fortnight since Sunderland had a £14million bid accepted by Liverpool for former loanee Borini, who returned early to the UK from Liverpool’s pre-season tour of America at the weekend for treatment on a shoulder problem.

Gus Poyet watched his words carefully when asked about Borini here in Portugal last night.

But the Sunderland boss confirmed that the club have now held discussions with Borini himself and indicated that the Black Cats are still hopeful of signing the 23-year-old.

Poyet said: “He is being assessed now for his shoulder injury. That’s stopped everything a little bit.

“We will see. I have not held talks with him, but the club has, although that’s private.

“We know where we stand.”

While Poyet is maintaining faith that Sunderland can sign Borini, it seems to be the case that the Black Cats’ interest in fellow ex-loanee Marcos Alonso has lessened significantly since the signing of left-back Patrick van Aanholt.

Alonso has been Sunderland’s main target to fill the problematic left-back void throughout the summer, but with Fiorentina holding out for more money for the Spaniard, the Black Cats turned their attentions to ex-Chelsea man van Aanholt.

Sunderland’s focus now is on signing a versatile full-back, rather than another specialist left-back.

“If you asked me before pre-season started, if I wanted two left footed left-backs, I would have said no,” said Poyet.

“Now if Alonso becomes on loan for free then we would probably take him. We need another full-back, the idea is one who can play right and left or with Billy (Jones) covering.”

On van Aanholt, he added: “It’s easy to bring in players who you know personally and you know what you are going to get.

“Patrick needs to get used to plenty of things that we do, nothing difficult but he needs to get used to it.

“But I am so happy to have him here.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Kess73 wrote: »

Looking at the illustrious names on McKay's books, perhaps we have dodged a bullet with Remy's "failed medical"... Joey Barton and El Hadji Diouf to name but 2 of the biggest trouble-making spitting & punching foul-mouthed vindictive little tw&rps you could hope to see lining up for you.
    It says something about a player that he would be attracted to an agent like McKay imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

One of the things that stood out for me when Rodgers was talking about the collapse of the Remy deal, was how he said it was unfortunate for the player, and they were disappointed for Remy, but he DIDN'T say anything about how he himself (Rodgers) or the club were disappointed about the deal falling apart....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was he trying to get more money at the end or what?

Is all speculation/rumour of course, but the chatter seems to be that there was extra money (wages/lump sums) and/or more changes to the contract looked for.

The chatter suggests that a bigger slice for an agent and a hefty six figure weekly wage for the player were sought after the original terms were agreed upon.

Some demands are supposedly been made with regards to playing time and the like.

But is all in the realms of rumour and gossip right now, but have to admit that the pieces do seem to fit quite easily when past track records get looked into a little bit.

Valbuena set to join Dinamo Moscow for £10m
    Can cross that off our list now too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement