Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can't see who Liverpool are playing in the 2nd round of the League Cup...odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I can't see who Liverpool are playing in the 2nd round of the League Cup...odd.

Tut tut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

brevity wrote: »
    we are missing a certain je ne sais quoi imo...

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

gafferino wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/emotional-alberto-moreno-conflicted-about-liverpool-move-1.1896177

“I am living a strange situation because I’m leaving the club of my life,” Moreno told ABC de Sevilla “I was always aware of the two teams (trying) to agree. I never got into that but Sevilla have understood that Liverpool’s offer was good and I am going.

“(I have) many feelings together. What happened on the pitch, with the fans, will remain forever etched on me and I could not help but mourn (the departure) because I did not expect it. First came the parting with colleagues, then with the fans...all very complicated.

“Liverpool are a great team and of course I’m super-motivated. I hope things go well.”
    Poor chap is clearly making a difficult departure, hopefully he settles ok. Enrique, Manquillo and maybe Suso will go a long way to ensure that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Would be pretty happy with him as backup. Certainly a step ahead of Jones.

Ideally would have liked a guy who could really compete with Mignolet, which i'm not sure this is, but it's a step in the right direction at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Unusual transfer window in a sense.

Not used to seeing a Liverpool manager get so many of what appear to be his first choice signings for the first team.

Sanchez seems to be the only first team target that we missed out on for sure. Although there seems to be a lot of talk that we did make contact with PSG, Real and Monaco for Cavani, Benzema, and Falcao but were told the clubs had no interest in selling.

Very close to this becoming a very good transfer window. One good to very good forward player would Jean Luc it.

Bloody nice to see a bit of depth, and quality depth at that, so if we can do the same for yp front we will be in a good position to compete properly on a number of fronts this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Cavani is very realistic if the money is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Oh just offer PSG the Suarez money for Ibrahimovic and give him £350,000 a week and put us all out of our misery.

Window closed.

Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Diego Lopez off to AC Milan.

https://twitter.com/realmadriden/status/499594373072687104

a) They're bananas letting him go. Maybe a full head of hair would have saved him.

b) Shame we didn't pursue him, as he would have been be perfect for us.

• Advertisement

Zico wrote: »
    Cavani is very realistic if the money is there.

Only realistic if PSG want to sell.

Plus even if they are willing to sell, would they be prepared to take a loss on what they paid out only last summer? They paid €64m or so on him last July, so they may not want to take too much of a bath on him, and may even want more than what they paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

From the echo just there...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/attracting-top-class-talent-summer-symbol-7610266
    Rodgers wants one more signing before the window shuts on September 1.

The Reds boss admits securing the services of another striker is “crucial” to provide cover for Daniel Sturridge and Rickie Lambert. Fabio Borini remains a Liverpool player but the Italian will still be allowed to leave if he accepts the chance to join Sunderland for £14m.

The Reds have not made a contract offer to Samuel Eto’o. The 33-year-old, who is a free agent after leaving Chelsea, has been considered as a stop-gap prior to Origi’s arrival at Anfield next summer.

But his age – and his wage demands – means Liverpool are currently pursuing other more attractive options. They would only look to Eto’o in the closing days of the window if their striker search has been unsuccessful.

Good news at least, poyet seems confident of landing borini so it will be interesting to see who we end up going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Given I blathered on a few weeks ago about the transfer activity, you have to hand over praise when it's due. have to post quickly to congratulate the club on the manner of the signing of Moreno. 12m(even pounds) is excellent value for money. Really need another quality striker, but if that is secured, even this late, it will overall be an excellent window.

klose wrote: »
    From the echo just there...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/attracting-top-class-talent-summer-symbol-7610266

Good news at least, poyet seems confident of landing borini so it will be interesting to see who we end up going for.

The Higuain rumour seems to be sticking around, as in us giving cash plus a player for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Higuain rumour seems to be sticking around, as in us giving cash plus a player for him.

Bet Rafa would love a Borini in his squad.

Borini, Agger, and a handful of cash. Done deal.

I can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If there's no one signed by the last few days it would be good to have the option of Etoo as a last day fallback.

Just on Moreno's interview. He seemed fairly broken up leaving Sevilla. To be expected but that could affect how he settles

Lucas and agger have been tentatively linked before iirc so i suppose we could strike a deal although de laurentiis will want a profit on him atleast. Insigne has impressed me at napoli from what I've seen, could be also worth a look.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If there's no one signed by the last few days it would be good to have the option of Etoo as a last day fallback.

Just on Moreno's interview. He seemed fairly broken up leaving Sevilla. To be expected but that could affect how he settles

If navas made id im sure moreno will, plenty of spaniards around im sure he will get a warm welcome whenever he sets foot on the pitch.

Indeed...it actually suits Eto'o really to wait until the window closes, as then he'll be dealing with clubs who NEED him, and are more willing to stump up the cash he wants. Would just make sense - the second the window closes, he immediately becomes pretty much the best striker available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Just realised I'll miss the Spurs game because I'll be out of my mind in a field in Laois.

Don't know if I'm happy or sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

E'too would be a step back for Liverpool I think.

If the club is serious about challenging for the title then they need to drop a bomb for a Suarez replacement.

Zico. Man,there was a player. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Just realised I'll miss the Spurs game because I'll be out of my mind in a field in Laois.

Last year we beat Utd that weekend. Its a great place to celebrate

Last year we beat Utd that weekend. Its a great place to celebrate

Might sneak into town to watch it. See how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Zico. Man,there was a player. Fantastic.

Yeah but would he sign for us now or wait until we get established in the CL?

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Its in the Irish Indo, so must be true. :rolleyes:
    The odds on Edinson Cavani joining Liverpool before the end of the transfer window have dropped amid rumours that the Reds are set to outbid their Premier League rivals.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/odds-shorten-on-edinson-cavani-joining-liverpool-30507271.html

dogbert27 wrote: »

:)

Not yet ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And we all know that bookies odds are the most reliable way to predict transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

5starpool wrote: »
    And we all know that bookies odds are the most reliable way to predict transfers.

Indeed.

k15dxvw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Shtory with Assaidi?

Is he alive?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11032336/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-says-qualifying-for-the-Champions-League-is-attracting-players-to-Anfield.html

The Liverpool manager believes several of those recruited over the past two months, the latest of whom, Alberto Moreno, will undergo a medical on Thursday, would not have joined the club a year ago.
    Rodgers says that is because of the style of football as much as Champions League qualification.

“That ability to attract top players is great,” said Rodgers. “It’s a huge indication of the progress of the club, a really good symbol of where the club is at. We have made huge strides in the last couple of years.
    “Dejan Lovren was a really good player for Lyon. He was a guy sought after by a number of clubs but for him to say he wanted to come only to Liverpool was great.

“Young Lazar Markovic had two or three other clubs there waiting to take him, clubs where he had mates from his international team, but he wanted to come to Liverpool.
    "These guys watch football throughout Europe. They watch us and want to be part of what we’re doing.
    “It hasn’t just happened by accident. A lot of work and time has gone in both on and off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Am I correct in the following.
    Etoo is not currently attached to a club therefore the closing of the transfer window doesn't apply to whomever may wish to sign him?
    I.E Liverpool could sign him on Sept 3rd???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Etoo is not currently attached to a club therefore the closing of the transfer window doesn't apply to whomever may wish to sign him?

I think it only applies to loan deals after the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

from the Prem League transfer page
    Players out of contract or unattached to any clubs can be recruited outside the transfer window,

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »

The transfer window is literally only for transfers - the movement of players contracts from one club to another. Players out of contract can move at any time to anyone they want - anything else would be against the law. Free agents can't be prohibited from being employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Vicxas wrote: »

Loan & free transfer deadlines are the same day, not sure what exact day that is but i know this from football manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The transfer window is literally only for transfers - the movement of players contracts from one club to another. Players out of contract can move at any time to anyone they want - anything else would be against the law. Free agents can't be prohibited from being employed.

Any chance we could get a law passed especially for Eto'o?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Exciting times with a young manager and mostly young enough players playing scintilating football. We are spending huge money now because we earned it with Suarez and the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge have easily doubled their value. Job well done by everybody, CL draw to look forward to and a wee break from the LC for a few weeks. We are underdogs for 4th and it suits us fine. Some good transfers in and hopefully Rodgers can get in another striker before he has to go for Eto. Potentially 8 new signings at the club. Sorry for the dose of realism in this optimistic post, odds are 2 or 3 will stuggle, something to bear in mind for those talking of title challenges!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Oh just offer PSG the Suarez money for Ibrahimovic and give him £350,000 a week and put us all out of our misery.

Window closed.

Our year.

he is gash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,505 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

he is gash

Yeah he's only won 11 league titles since 2002.
    Terrible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah he's only won 11 league titles since 2002.
    Terrible player.

Yeah but none of them were premier league titles which are worth at least ten of your French or Italian titles.
    Also he doesn't be on match of the day, so we cant really judge him as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah but none of them were premier league titles which are worth at least ten of your French or Italian titles.
    Also he doesn't be on match of the day, so we cant really judge him as a player.

I agree. I never know if a player is any good until I hear what robbie savage has to say about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

he is gash

I'll take his gash over your mate's gnashers. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I agree. I never know if a player is any good until I hear what Phil Neville has to say about him.

Updated it for this season for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

That would surely mean Napoli signing another striker. So if there is news that they are getting one, watch out...

But back to the "single striker" argument - would he even start? I can't see us messing with our front 3, unless Coutinho drops into midfield with Stevie & Hendo behind? And where does that leave Lallana?

God, we really aren't used to having a proper squad, are we...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Dickerty wrote: »
    That would surely mean Napoli signing another striker. So if there is news that they are getting one, watch out...

But back to the "single striker" argument - would he even start? I can't see us messing with our front 3, unless Coutinho drops into midfield with Stevie & Hendo behind? And where does that leave Lallana?

God, we really aren't used to having a proper squad, are we...

Re: Gonzalo...They got Michu in...but maybe they were short to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Re: Gonzalo...They got Michu in...but maybe they were short to begin with

He's not going to get those kind of goals, IMO. But they do have Mertens, Insigne and Pandev...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement