Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dickerty wrote: »
    He's not going to get those kind of goals, IMO. But they do have Mertens, Insigne and Pandev...

Insigne is a tidy player, would love him or Mertens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

8-10 wrote: »
    Insigne is a tidy player, would love him or Mertens

I thought Mertens was shocking at the WC, looked way out of his depth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Guissepe Rossi and Higuain ??? Who makes these things up ?

Vanolder wrote: »

Are either of them as unrealistic as Falcao or Cavani?

They are both the types of players we could get. Not at top level clubs, not on huge money, and would accept not starting every week...

Rossi has had what 3 or 4 cruciate injuries already in his career afaik. No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Jesus if we could get Higuain then happy days. Don't know how anyone could be unhappy with him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Vanolder wrote: »

Caught Offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

E'too is a smokescreen while we get a deal done for Bony, I can feel it ha!

I'd say Borini is itching to leave now knowing the club have accepted a bid & Sunderland are desperate to have him.

Surely, this transfer committee can see the need for another versatile centre forward so with the Borini money just make the offer that will allow us to sign Bony.

Only thing with Bony is alleged wage demands if he wants silly money then club is right to look elsewhere & leave him be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Bony has done nothing to deserve silly money imo. Eto'o has been there and done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea need to get rid of one foreign player to comply with the new rules - would Cech be open to an offer I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Bony has done nothing but score goals for the last 3 seasons!! I'd take him over etoo every day. Really shocked that some people were lamenting lukaku going to Everton but don't want anything to do with bony despite him being a far superior player. He's a great finisher, holds up the ball extremely well, real threat in the air and would be a great option against park the bus teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Chelsea need to get rid of one foreign player to comply with the new rules - would Cech be open to an offer I wonder.

We got rid of Reina because his wages were too high, imagine what Cechs would be like?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Bony has done nothing but score goals for the last 3 seasons!! I'd take him over etoo every day. Really shocked that some people were lamenting lukaku going to Everton but don't want anything to do with bony despite him being a far superior player. He's a great finisher, holds up the ball extremely well, real threat in the air and would be a great option against park the bus teams.

He isnt as fast as the road runner though so apparently wouldnt suit us.
    Then again there are people on here who reckon we should sign shane long so........ :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Eto'o is going to Ajax (probably).

I cannot understand the furore over his 'transfer' if I'm honest. He never suited the mentality of the club, or the team. Especially at his age, price and profile. Somehow I don't think he would exactly suit Rodger's mentality of 'running through a brick wall for him' either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

We got rid of Reina because his wages were too high, imagine what Cechs would be like?

Reina wasn't going to be first choice so rightfully his wages were an issue.
    Cech would automatically be our first choice, wages for him wouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Eto'o is going to Ajax (probably).

I cannot understand the furore over his 'transfer' if I'm honest. He never suited the mentality of the club, or the team. Especially at his age, price and profile. Somehow I don't think he would exactly suit Rodger's mentality of 'running through a brick wall for him' either.

Price? Is he not free ?
    Plus he is 33 not 38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

90-100k is what I've heard.

Even if Courtois was to double his wages he'd be on under half of that.

Both have 2 years left on their contract but I cant imagine Chelsea selling Cech to another EPL team unless the offer was really big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I would have no problem with the club spending 15m on Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Price? Is he not free ?
    Plus he is 33 not 38

Well as we all know, thanks to Joe Cole, that a free transfer is never free. Because of the lack of transfer fee, the agent fee, signing on fee and wages will all increase. I would imagine that Eto'o would already be on high enough wages before these factors come into play.

We already have 1 striker over 32 to be fair, do we really want another? So much of our game is down to the speed of our attack, I would rather keep it that way please & thank you.

Sorry, my point didn't come across clear there, what I meant was I'd be more understanding if Eto'o was given big money by the club for a year compared to Bony being given a 5 year contract on big money straight off the bat. Personally, if we signed Bony I'd like to see him play his way to a bumper contract.

• Advertisement

I would have no problem with the club spending 15m on Cech

That would probably be the most he'd go for. Even if PSG/Monaco/Real get involved. I dont think he'd go for much more than that.

32, 2 years left and picking up niggly injuries. Still a fantastic gk and will probably play another 5-7 years at the top as long as injuries dont keep him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Sergio Romero is being linked. As little as £2 million with Coates going the other way.

Could be an nice solution to the goalkeeper problem.

Fescue wrote: »
    Sergio Romero is being linked. As little as £2 million with Coates going the other way.

Could be an nice solution to the goalkeeper problem.

Fantastic solution, he had a great world cup and is tiny money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

FitzShane wrote: »
    Well as we all know, thanks to Joe Cole, that a free transfer is never free. Because of the lack of transfer fee, the agent fee, signing on fee and wages will all increase. I would imagine that Eto'o would already be on high enough wages before these factors come into play.

We already have 1 striker over 32 to be fair, do we really want another? So much of our game is down to the speed of our attack, I would rather keep it that way please & thank you.

If you talk about how we may/will play then you cannot compare Eto and Lambert! Lambert was brought in for one specific reason and that was to be a plan B (C, D or E) when a team sits deep against us and we need a big strong CF who we can play the ball in to and he can link up the play! This is not what Eto is and not his strengths!

Eto on the other hand will play on the last defender (although he no longer has the speed IMO) and will get on to the end of low crosses and balls that drop in the box!

I personally would not be a fan of bringing Eto in at this stage of his career as I believe he is on a downward slide and there are far better (albeit more expensive) options out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Price? Is he not free ?
    Plus he is 33 not 38

According to the mother of one of his children he was born in 1974 so he's 40.

I know who I believe....nobody.

Maybe Gav can answer this one, but why exactly did things go sour between Eto'o and Mourinho? It seemed Eto'o did enough to get another year there but they fell out. Strange given they had worked together before and Mourinho obviously thought enough of him to bring him to England at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Eto'o.

Was a bit dismissive of the idea elsewhere, but some goal stats from last season were pointed out to me.

Last season he played 1298 minutes for Chelsea (which is just under 14.5 games worth of playing time) and he got 9 goals from those minutes.

So that is a goal for every 144.2 minutes or a goal every game and a half or so.

So then I went down the route of saying "but how many of those goals were against the top teams or were game changing"

He scored the first goal for Chelsea against Spurs
    He scored the first goal against Arsenal
    He got three goals against Man U
    He got the winning goal against Liverpool
    He scored both goals against Schalke in the CL and the opening goal against Gala in the CL.

So he may be a bit slower than he was, and he would not be more than a back up to Sturridge, but if he was fit and had a point to prove in England (which he may have given how things ended with him and Jose having pops over Eto'o's age), then he would not be a bad back up to get in on a short contract if we failed to bring in a quality addition before this window ends.

Looking at how we played last season, and the amount of chances we created, one would suspect that Eto'o would be more than good enough to be cover until January.

Now my own preference would be for us not to end up with him as our back up, and instead to bring in some younger quality, but have started to come round to the idea of Eto'o as a last resort short term signing.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Eto'o.

Was a bit dismissive of the idea elsewhere, but some goal stats from last season were pointed out to me.

Last season he played 1298 minutes for Chelsea (which is just under 14.5 games worth of playing time) and he got 9 goals from those minutes.

So that is a goal for every 144.2 minutes or a goal every game and a half or so.

So then I went down the route of saying "but how many of those goals were against the top teams or were game changing"

He scored the first goal for Chelsea against Spurs
    He scored the first goal against Arsenal
    He got three goals against Man U
    He got the winning goal against Liverpool
    He scored both goals against Schalke in the CL and the opening goal against Gala in the CL.

So he may be a bit slower than he was, and he would not be more than a back up to Sturridge, but if he was fit and had a point to prove in England (which he may have given how things ended with him and Jose having pops over Eto'o's age), then he would not be a bad back up to get in on a short contract if we failed to bring in a quality addition before this window ends.

Looking at how we played last season, and the amount of chances we created, one would suspect that Eto'o would be more than good enough to be cover until January.

Now my own preference would be for us not to end up with him as our back up, and instead to bring in some younger quality, but have started to come round to the idea of Eto'o as a last resort short term signing.

That's what I've been trying to say lads... just without... ya know... facts and stuff.

Nice work Kess! :pac:

Bony is a useful player. Scores goals, is a physical presence, is not the slow moving player some seem to think he is, and he is decent when the ball is played to feet.

There are plenty of players I would prefer to see Liverpool get before him, but would not be disheartened to see him get signed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Still the issue of his wages though...

• Advertisement

That's what I've been trying to say lads... just without... ya know... facts and stuff.

Nice work Kess! :pac:

Well I did no work for the stats either, they were pointed out to me so I just grabbed them and put them in here :D

Well you can prove anything with FACTS!!!

Dickerty wrote: »
    Well you can prove anything with FACTS!!!

_45361643_benitez466gi.jpg

Maybe Gav can answer this one, but why exactly did things go sour between Eto'o and Mourinho? It seemed Eto'o did enough to get another year there but they fell out. Strange given they had worked together before and Mourinho obviously thought enough of him to bring him to England at this stage of his career.

Jose was filmed by Canal + saying he had no CFs at the club and that he wouldnt win the league with his current set. He also said with Eto'o that he didnt know if he was 33 or 35, although the following game he banged in 3 against Utd and done the old man, walking stick celebration with the corner flag. On the surface it seemed like it had been dealt with but I cant imagine coming out and saying something like that would put ya in good standing with the CFs, especially someone like Eto'o. By and large the players all liked Eto'o all had good words to say about him, saying he had a good spirit and attitude towards training and match days.

I thought we'd sell Ba and Torres and sign Costa as well as keep Eto'o and I'd have been happier with Drogba, Eto'o, Costa more than Drogba, torres, Costa TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I reckon we will still sign bony its underwhelming but there isnt a whole lot of other options. Liverpool have apparently baulked at his 19m release clause? What did they expect he would go for he cost them 12 last season and had a good season.
    If you pay 20m for a striker I don't think 100k a week wages is alot.

How I am now looking at it is that Sturridge has taken the Suarez slot as the number one attacker.

Second slot is free.

Lambert has taken Aspas' slot.

Borini is still in the 3rd or 4th choice slot (depending on whether one sees Lambert as 3rd or 4th choice)

So if Borini goes, then I see Eto'o as taking the Borini slot and us still trying to get an attacker for the number two slot.

But Eto'o might also give us some breathing space if our main target for the number two slot was not going to be available until January.

Cheers Gav, I did think Eto'o was liked at Chelsea by and large.

At this stage you'd have to say Sturridge, Lambert, Bony and Eto'o would be decent options and could reasonably be expected to help us reach our targets if the latter two were signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    I reckon we will still sign bony its underwhelming but there isnt a whole lot of other options. Liverpool have apparently baulked at his 19m release clause? What did they expect he would go for he cost them 12 last season and had a good season.
    If you pay 20m for a striker I don't think 100k a week wages is alot.
    Its more to go with wages. 19m is a fair price for him imo. I lke Bony but would be worried by his lack of movement.

Kess73 wrote: »
    But Eto'o might also give us some breathing space if our main target for the number two slot was not going to be available until January.

But won't Falcao be cup tied for our CL run then??

• Advertisement

Cheers Gav, I did think Eto'o was liked at Chelsea by and large.

At this stage you'd have to say Sturridge, Lambert, Bony and Eto'o would be decent options and could reasonably be expected to help us reach our targets if the latter two were signed.

I reckon 3 CFs is enough for a team that plays 1 up top.

So if you go into the season with Sturridge, Lambert, Bony/Eto'o theres a potential for 40-50 goals between those 3 in the league. Thats a massive return.

Edit : Of course Eto'o is cheaper than Bony short term but when you need another CF next year after replacing Eto'o, Bony may not be available. I'd lump on Bony now and get a good few years out of him.

That would be an excellent quartet. Scored 59 goals between them last season (Lambert and Bony include pens), all capable of being that point striker or of playing as a 2. And different bench options - directness and power from Lambert, aerial threat and pace from Bony, poaching ability and tons of experience from Eto'o.

I could get on board with that.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Its more to go with wages. 19m is a fair price for him imo. I lke Bony but would be worried by his lack of movement.

To be fair to Bony I like him and 19m is a fair price but I just don't think he is the right player for us. Vitnesse Arnhem played a lot of one touch football and he scored plenty so he is quicker than you are led to believe.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon 3 CFs is enough for a team that plays 1 up top.

So if you go into the season with Sturridge, Lambert, Bony/Eto'o theres a potential for 40-50 goals between those 3 in the league. Thats a massive return.

Edit : Of course Eto'o is cheaper than Bony short term but when you need another CF next year after replacing Eto'o, Bony may not be available. I'd lump on Bony now and get a good few years out of him.

Would prefer to take the same money that Bony would cost in terms of wages and a transfer fee, and see if we could get Aubameyang from Dortmund or Son from Bayer. Both are capable of playing across the front line or out wide, but can also play as the main striker. Have a feeling that this season may be the one in which Son's value starts to spike, so getting the likes of him in now makes sense to me.

Strurridge, Aubameyang or Son, Lambert and Eto'o (on a 12 month contract). :D

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Of course Eto'o is cheaper than Bony short term but when you need another CF next year after replacing Eto'o, Bony may not be available. I'd lump on Bony now and get a good few years out of him.

Well we have Origi from next season, but dunno if they see him as a central striker or a wider attacker. But then Lambert is only a medium term option, so it could be that Origi replaces him and Bony stays as second choice and often back-up to Sturridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

The Mirror saying we are interested in Song if Lucas goes to Napoli. Would be happy with that!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-alex-4047544

• Advertisement

gafferino wrote: »
    The Mirror saying we are interested in Song if Lucas goes to Napoli. Would be happy with that!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-alex-4047544

Definite upgrade, he was brilliant at Arsenal I thought and was shocked when Barca got him for a paltry 15m. Relations should be good with them after they bought there most expensive player ever from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its happening!

318372.jpg

Bird on the left tho.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Wouldn't be against E'to as back up, he is a still a decent player and as long as wages and agents fees are realistic then he would be a good interim player until one of the bigger names becomes free next season

If we can't get one of the bigger players were are chasing we still need someone of sufficient quality and E'to fits the bill here

Had forgotten Song still existed to be honest, would be happy to get him in if Lucas is shipped out

Would be sad to see Lucas go as I am a big supporter of his but he doesn't really fit in with the current style but on his day he can do a job as he never ever lacks for effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I'd be very happy with getting Song in. Great with Arsenal before he went to Barca!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Eto and Song in before the window shuts would be great buisness

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement