Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Off Topic lads but vines work on the site now ( almost )

https://vine.co/v/MVQTx2Kx2DM

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

wow first time seeing that goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Using the youtube tab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

5live wrote: »
    Only two and a half days left to kick off.

Can't bloody wait!
    3 more sleeps ;):D

Using the youtube tab?

No, just copy the link and paste it in.

The site sets up the URL code for ya and it works straight away

5starpool wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Vines have previously not worked. So you had to convert them to .gifs. Now they just work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Randomly on the piss in Liverpool tomorrow night, anyone know any good places to go thats laid back on dress code for a Friday night??. Ive never gone on the lash there, seems nobody going has.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vines have previously not worked. So you had to convert them to .gifs. Now they just work

I'm using the old skin, so perhaps it's just me because of that, but all I seen in your post is a link to the vine which opens in a new window, so it doesn't show for me.

Does it show embedded in the new skin?

Edit: just checked, and yes it does. Still not enough reason for me to move from the old skin before I have to though :)

• Advertisement

Yeah thats why I had (almost) in brackets. It doesn't work under the dark skin either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

daithijjj wrote: »
    Randomly on the piss in Liverpool tomorrow night, anyone know any good places to go thats laid back on dress code for a Friday night??. Ive never gone on the lash there, seems nobody going has.

Walk down hanover st. There's a few bars down that way to get you started then make your way to concert square which is where most of the city's nightlife is centered

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

daithijjj wrote: »

I was in the bierkeller last time I was over great place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

How are we evens to finish in the top 4 and UTD are 4/9.
    We sold are best player, but do the bookie forget Sturridge ? 20 goals.

We have invested are money brilliantly!!

UTD have only signed shaw and Herrera not great and lost 3 senior players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Are year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Evens ain't a bad price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The whole cult of "tactical genius" Van Gaal is running out of control, as things stands every target bar Herrera (who was really lasts summers target lest not forget) and unfit "fatty" Shaw (pah!) has singularly failed to materialise - so its clear enough his name is not the shining beacon that the clubs board were probably assuming it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get it either, apart from Liverpool the odds are ignoring Everton and Spurs that Utd have to overhaul as well.

I think these odds are just representative of wishful thinking that's why England are always one of the favourites with bookies for major football championships ever 2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Utd will get a CL place this season, they only have to concentrate on the league this year. We are going for League and CL and we really need another striker who can get at least 20-25 goals a season.

Utd are sort of like the Liverpool of last year. Great attacking options, probably be sloppy in defence. I think LVG has proven he can get the most from limited talent. He'll have Rooney and RVP firing on all cylinders. Not to say they are limited, but the rest of the squad, in particular the defence and midfield, which are a far cry from what it used to be at that club.

The only way Utd will implode is if things get a bit difficult and the media turn on LVG and it gets his back up. It's happened before at the likes of Barcelona. If Utd take too many injuries and the club struggle then that scenario could rear it's head but don't be counting on it.

I really think we'd be best just concentrating on our own club and our campaign than what Utd are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Utd will romp the league surely? Liverpool nearly won it last year because they had the unfair advantage of no European football, no other reason why they played so well, so United with the formidable LVG at the helm and their world class squad that's peppered with PL winners will gallop away from the rest (nap)

This burden of having to play an extra few matches in Europe will weigh heavily on Liverpool, It's impossible to win the league and play in the CL, here's hoping we can at least hold firm and get around 6th or 7th in the league then hopefully challenge again for the league the following season if we can dodge qualifying for the Europa league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Augmerson wrote: »
    Utd will get a CL place this season, they only have to concentrate on the league this year. We are going for League and CL and we really need another striker who can get at least 20-25 goals a season.

Utd are sort of like the Liverpool of last year. Great attacking options, probably be sloppy in defence. I think LVG has proven he can get the most from limited talent. He'll have Rooney and RVP firing on all cylinders. Not to say they are limited, but the rest of the squad, in particular the defence and midfield, which are a far cry from what it used to be at that club.

The only way Utd will implode is if things get a bit difficult and the media turn on LVG and it gets his back up. It's happened before at the likes of Barcelona. If Utd take too many injuries and the club struggle then that scenario could rear it's head but don't be counting on it.

I really think we'd be best just concentrating on our own club and our campaign than what Utd are doing.
    Like last season, they're two injuries away from being an average team. And one of those two is very injury prone.

Like last season, they're two injuries away from being an average team. And one of those two is very injury prone.

It's true. A lot depends on how LVG manages RVP (Mr. Glass) because without him Utd will struggle. Moyes failed to utilize RVP correctly last season and accordingly RVP spent some time out injured. I think Utd would have moved up at least 2 positions if he'd have been fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's true. A lot depends on how LVG manages RVP (Mr. Glass) because without him Utd will struggle. Moyes failed to utilize RVP correctly last season and accordingly RVP spent some time out injured. I think Utd would have moved up at least 2 positions if he'd have been fit.

Unless I'm mistaken, before last season "Mr. Glass" didn't miss a single league game in 2 full seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We will miss Suarez obviously, we've added squad depth and a couple of first teamers. It really does depend on us being more defensively solid and a good few other players barring Sturridge getting their fair share of goals. Can see a good few teams just parking the bus against us and leaving it to us to figure it out. Cautiously optimistic as I do think we've bought well with the right type of players. Still money there by the sounds of it, sub keeper, good striker and I'd go as far as saying it was an excellent window. No big CM but I think Rodgers is aware of that and will plan systems and styles around that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Liam O wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, before last season "Mr. Glass" didn't miss a single league game in 2 full seasons.

Come on Liam, we're both aware of RVP's injury record. If he'd have been injury free in his Arsenal days they probably would have won the league. It is probably something to be said to the achievements of the Utd medical staff that he has enjoyed probably his most injury-free period of professional football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The 2 being the obvious exceptions to the rule. I'd say he'll be grand though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

K-9 wrote: »
    We will miss Suarez obviously, we've added squad depth and a couple of first teamers. It really does depend on us being more defensively solid and a good few other players barring Sturridge getting their fair share of goals. Can see a good few teams just parking the bus against us and leaving it to us to figure it out. Cautiously optimistic as I do think we've bought well with the right type of players. Still money there by the sounds of it, sub keeper, good striker and I'd go as far as saying it was an excellent window. No big CM but I think Rodgers is aware of that and will plan systems and styles around that.

Thats the thing about not having Suarez, he could turn those buses on sixpence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Come on Liam, we're both aware of RVP's injury record. If he'd have been injury free in his Arsenal days they probably would have won the league. It is probably something to be said to the achievements of the Utd medical staff that he has enjoyed probably his most injury-free period of professional football.

Not sure how you can say that, he had sustained fitness for a long time at Arsenal before the move. I think his issues are mainly behind him now. Last season is actually the exception to his recent injury records and may have been caused by the lack of rest he's had. His body might not have as much wear and tear in general as players who've been relatively injury free in their careers too. (watch him break his leg in his first game back.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Vicxas wrote: »
    Considering he pretty much single handedly rescued their PL season it would be insanity.

My guess is he either wanted a say on the transfers or wanted more money.
    Pulis wanted to sign Steven Caulker, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Michu.
    Instead the Crystal Palace board signed Martin Kelly, Brede Hangeland and Fraizer Campbell.

Result: Pulis spat his dummy!

Martin Kelly must have been the final straw.

Not sure how you can say that, he had sustained fitness for a long time at Arsenal before the move. I think his issues are mainly behind him now. Last season is actually the exception to his recent injury records and may have been caused by the lack of rest he's had. His body might not have as much wear and tear in general as players who've been relatively injury free in their careers too. (watch him break his leg in his first game back.)

Heard Swansea just signed Karl Henry and Neil Ruddock and Vinnie Jones are their new defensive coaches...

I reckon LVG knows how to use him best, unless someone demolishes him he will be alright for the majority of the season. Realistically there is only the league to concentrate on, league cup will be youth, FA cup will be a mixture. RVP doesn't have the same number of games to play this season and that is a bonus.

• Advertisement

The striker west ham signed to help them score more goals has scored 5 goals in 121 goals.
    Their other strikers are Carroll,Zarate,Cole,Vaz Te and Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Coutinho and Sterling need new contracts with £80m+ buy clauses in them.

Or, y'know.. no buy out clauses at all.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Gbear wrote: »

I don't understand why clubs put them in the contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

suarez's goals alone last year accounted for 21 points

lets wait 12 months or at least till christmas to make that statement. no guarantees in football.

We should buy some Palace players now that they are managerless. Raid the **** out of them.

We should buy some Palace players now that they are managerless. Raid the **** out of them.

Jonathan Williams and dwight gale..
    Best of a bad bunch really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Jonathan Williams and dwight gale..
    Best of a bad bunch really.

Is this going by fifa overalls? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gbear wrote: »

Indeed, in some other leagues it's a legal obligation by the associations to have them in there. For as long as it's not required in England, we should be avoiding it wherever possible. Sometimes I guess you just need to include it to get someone to sign a new contract, but it should be a last resort rather than an expected inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Im wondering will Moreno be signed in time to play this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Probably not. The deadline is Friday evening I think but to play him on Sunday would still be a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Think we will see the leaning photos today (Friday). Weekend game probably slightly too early for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed, in some other leagues it's a legal obligation by the associations to have them in there. For as long as it's not required in England, we should be avoiding it wherever possible. Sometimes I guess you just need to include it to get someone to sign a new contract, but it should be a last resort rather than an expected inclusion.

Sometimes it's a good thing having them in. Let's say in 3 years time Coutinho gets to the stage that one of the big two spanish giants are in for him. He wants to go, & with no release clause they can lowball and hope the player agitates to go so we end up settling for a lower fee. With a release clause set our default position becomes one of - if they meet the fee you can go, if they don't meet the fee they don't want you as much as you think.

Obviously this means we set the release clause bar high enough so that we are the winners in most deals, that way we are selling on our terms more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

The striker west ham signed to help them score more goals has scored 5 goals in 121 goals.
    Their other strikers are Carroll,Zarate,Cole,Vaz Te and Valencia

Goalception. Brilliant tactic from allardyce there, think they'll win the league unless we get a goalception striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Can't say I'm sorry to the see back of Pulis, he always came across as an ugly character to me (an opinion I've had since long before last season at Selhurst Park).

He'll be back soon no doubt about it unfortunately though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Carra couldn't have put it better when he said that the squad is strogner but the first XI are weaker.

Even with Lovren, a pair of football backs (even only one is a near certain starter) and Llana the team still looks less of a threat.

Can't wait to see the team on Sunday.

Cout and Sterling are surely guaranteed starters along with gerrard, Sturridge and Henderson. Will Llanna or Markovic get the nod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Probably not. The deadline is Friday evening I think but to play him on Sunday would still be a stretch.

Deadline is 12pm today, Premier League and few journalists tweeted this info earlier in the week. Hopefully, we get an announcement and some pictures before 12 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rossie1977 wrote: »
    suarez's goals alone last year accounted for 21 points

You cannot look at it like that. He took the place of another player. Who is to say what Sturridge would have done without Suarez chasing his own goals?
    Or how a replacement player would have done?

You have to look way past the goals. He also scored a lot against lower half teams, or in games that were already won, whereas Sturridge scored more often in narrow wins (like the first 3 games last season?)

We will also get more goals from Sterling over this season, and should get a fair number from Lallana and whatever new striker we get.

It's more important that we use the squad well when the games stack up, and grind out results. We didn't need to worry about that last season, so we have no idea how we'll fair there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Rumours of Song coming, I would guess that means Lucas gets to leave?

I think we still have 5 or 6 movements to complete, in and out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Any team without Suarez will be a weaker team. But if the defense improves with Lovern, Moreno & Manquillo then if we don't concede as many, means we won't need to score as many to win.

The team will miss Suarez more for his individual moments of magic. However, I am not afraid to say the team could be more cohesive this year and not built around the individual brilliance of one player but the overall brilliance of a starting XI and quality players to come off the bench.

Come on Redmen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Moreno was photod being photod (photoception) so Id wager everything is done and dusted. The club seems to only release new signing details at 11,5 or 10-11 so I'd say at 11 it will be announced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement