Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

daithijjj wrote: »
    Randomly on the piss in Liverpool tomorrow night, anyone know any good places to go thats laid back on dress code for a Friday night??. Ive never gone on the lash there, seems nobody going has.

The Grafton, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

People are not factoring in the improvement in both Sterling & Coutinho when they say that our first eleven has not improved over the summer. These two are in a much stronger position now than where we were before last season started. I am hoping Mignolet has settled and will also be much better this season. Same can be said for Henderson. We've also sorted a position for Gerrard which was also very much up in the air.

Fair enough we've lost Suarez and are still looking to get in a forward but the rest of the first team is young and should be alot better than last season. We have a team with a system in place which all players are familiar with and are ready to go from game 1. Some more personnel up-front before the transfer window closes & we're laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Forgot Adam L is injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Can't say I'm sorry to the see back of Pulis, he always came across as an ugly character to me (an opinion I've had since long before last season at Selhurst Park).

He'll be back soon no doubt about it unfortunately though.

Disagree. His approach isn't easy on the eye but it's effective and gets results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

noodler wrote: »
    Forgot Adam L is injured.

Looks like he'll be back sooner that was expected. Him and Markovic will miss this game (and Moreno), so that means we are very likely to go with the same team that started v Dotrmund.

By the following game, let's see if Sakho can make a stake, Moreno will be be in and hopefully Manquillo retained at RB...

• Advertisement

Echo reporting that Sterling could be getting a new contract.

Give him a good long one as it's only a matter of time Madrid and Barca will come sniffing for him and Coutinho if they continue to play as they have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

djPSB wrote: »
    Disagree. His approach isn't easy on the eye but it's effective and gets results.

Didn't say a word about his tactics?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Echo reporting that Sterling could be getting a new contract.

Give him a good long one as it's only a matter of time Madrid and Barca will come sniffing for him and Coutinho if they continue to play as they have been

I fully expect they will as well, he game would work well anywhere.
    That's the only concern with great young players coming through...

Let's make some unfair comparisons!

Sterling is Messi
    Coutinho is Iniesta
    Markovic is Cantona
    Sakho is Rijkaard
    Moreno is Lahm
    Ilori is Baresi
    And Rossiter is Gerrard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am really confident about Sunday.

Can't remember the last time I was this confident about a league opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

angry-arnold-schwarzenegger-screaming-shut-up-kindergarden-cop.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Not sure how to feel about the muted wages on the table for Sterling if the reports are true, as his last wage bump didn't exactly have an initial positive impact. 100k is a lot for a 19 year old.

Brilliant Gaffer!

6c4e922b_lord-hunt_not_listening-738864.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shane long to make a fool of Skrtel again like he when he was with West Brom.

Lovren to score 3 own goals and Southampton to win easy 0-5.

Not sure how to feel about the muted wages on the table for Sterling if the reports are true, as his last wage bump didn't exactly have an initial positive impact. 100k is a lot for a 19 year old.

I believe that number came from John "Mr Arsenal" Cross in the Mirror. Large pinch of salt.

I suspect the base will go up with big bonuses for PL goals, CL goals and assists.
    We are all about incentive-based now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say it will be closer to £60k which is double what he is on now.

I be happy with that, Then add in goal bonus £5k or something like that for every goal he scores give the lad some incentives to score the goals we miss from Suarez leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Thats the thing about not having Suarez, he could turn those buses on sixpence.

He didn't bother turning the bus, he would just hop on board, nick the keys and release the hand-brake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's a tough balancing act. You look at the likes of Ashley Cole and Pogba. By all accounts, both players were infuriated by what they were offered during contract negotiations and both Arsenal and United lost top quality players. I mean, if we were to play silly buggers with Sterling we could end up losing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Id offer Sterling & Coutinho new contracts at 80k per week which would be fair.

I mean, if we were to play silly buggers with Sterling we could end up losing him.

I think the club have shown that they are willing to pay people what they are worth, but not more. Their ruthlessness with Reina, AA, Cole, Downing and Carroll to get those wage packets off has been impressive, yet they have given new deals to Hendo, Cou, Sterling, Suarez and others to keep the future of the club content. I don't think they'd mess this up, Sterling knows he's only been a regular starter for 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Probably not going to get to ask this tomorrow as will be up the walls trying to get a few things done before travelling to Liverpool for the game the following day.

So will ask today instead.

Based on our squad as it stands today, where do people think we will finish in the league this season? Not where you hope we will finish, but rather what finishing position you think the current squad will actually finish in.

Might be interesting to ask now and then ask again as soon as the transfer window closes to see if any of us have our minds changed in the coming two or so weeks.

Myself I think we will come third this season. I am basing that on us having a stronger squad, a squad that has much more quality in depth than last season. Yes we have at least six extra games this season through being in the CL, but unlike last season I think we have the quality in depth to handle some rotation.

Another reason why I think we will do well enough in the league is down to me thinking we will concede less goals that last season, and although I think we will score less (and even if Suarez had stayed I don't think we would have matched last season's tally of goals), I still think we will hit around the 80 or so goal mark in the league which when put with hopefully conceding less will see us actually do better on the GD front.

Lovern I think is going to be a monster player for us, in fact I am struggling to think of another Liverpool player that impressed me so much when I first got to watch him from inside the ground. I mention inside the ground because it was his off the ball stuff that really impressed me. His organising of the back line, how vocal he was, and how he would take up positions based on the play in front of him. I know it was against a much weakened Dortmund team, but the way Lovern went about his business really impressed me.

Lallana I think will be a success as well, and I think folks that doubt him are in for a really pleasant surprise once he starts to hit full stride. The guy is quick, highly skilled, has a crazy workrate, is good at tracking back, is a lovely dribbler, but most importantly for me he is a very clever player who links well with other players. Strikes me as a player who can get the best out of the others around him thanks to being able to adjust his passing/movement to best suit who he is trying to link with at a given time.

So third place in the league is where I think we will finish. That may change once we have a few games under our belts and when the transfer window closes.

So how about everyone else? Where do you think we will finish, and why do you think we will finish there?

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Id offer Sterling & Coutinho new contracts at 80k per week which would be fair.

That's too high! Neither were must-starters throughout last season, Sterling had a patchy first half and Coutinho finished very few games and had a spell where he didn't start.

Bring them up a level as key players, but let them earn another big step through this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

dubdamo wrote: »
    The Grafton, :D

Jurassic Park.

Kess73 wrote: »
    So how about everyone else? Where do you think we will finish, and why do you think we will finish there?

Very sensible post as always Kess.

I think 4th. I think that either Arsenal or United will struggle to get the necessary goals from midfield, and both have question marks over their defence (as do we!). One of them will struggle.

But I think we will settle for 4th spot if it means competing on all fronts.
    I agree on Lallana, him and Henderson would help us play our "full court press" game and will hurt a lot of tired defences, and we WILL be better defensively.
    But if we get any sort of room ahead of 5th, and are still competing for a trophy, I think we'll lean towards the latter in exchange for chasing 3rd.
    PROVIDED that 4th is safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's too high! Neither were must-starters throughout last season, Sterling had a patchy first half and Coutinho finished very few games and had a spell where he didn't start.

Bring them up a level as key players, but let them earn another big step through this season...

Put it this way, if we were signing Sterling this summer he would cost a fortune and we wouldn't bat an eyelid at paying it. Nor would be care that he was getting 80K a week.

Sterling might be our best player (at the very least he's one of them), and he's certainly our most exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Based on our squad as it stands today, where do people think we will finish in the league this season? Not where you hope we will finish, but rather what finishing position you think the current squad will actually finish in.

2nd to Chelsea but not as close as last year. I think City will be worse this year for some reason and if they go far in Europe it might affect them down the stretch.

That doesn't mean I'm expecting it to happen because to be honest I cannot call the league this year. I just know that Chelsea are definitely better than us. I'm not going to say that about any other team though so for me 2nd is realistic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Probably not going to get to ask this tomorrow as will be up the walls trying to get a few things done before travelling to Liverpool for the game the following day.

Might be interesting to ask now and then ask again as soon as the transfer window closes to see if any of us have our minds changed in the coming two or so weeks.

Myself I think we will come third this season. I am basing that on us having a stronger squad, a squad that has much more quality in depth than last season. Yes we have at least six extra games this season through being in the CL, but unlike last season I think we have the quality in depth to handle some rotation.

Another reason why I think we will do well enough in the league is down to me thinking we will concede less goals that last season, and although I think we will score less (and even if Suarez had stayed I don't think we would have matched last season's tally of goals), I still think we will hit around the 80 or so goal mark in the league which when put with hopefully conceding less will see us actually do better on the GD front.

Lovern I think is going to be a monster player for us, in fact I am struggling to think of another Liverpool player that impressed me so much when I first got to watch him from inside the ground. I mention inside the ground because it was his off the ball stuff that really impressed me. His organising of the back line, how vocal he was, and how he would take up positions based on the play in front of him. I know it was against a much weakened Dortmund team, but the way Lovern went about his business really impressed me.

Lallana I think will be a success as well, and I think folks that doubt him are in for a really pleasant surprise once he starts to hit full stride. The guy is quick, highly skilled, has a crazy workrate, is good at tracking back, is a lovely dribbler, but most importantly for me he is a very clever player who links well with other players. Strikes me as a player who can get the best out of the others around him thanks to being able to adjust his passing/movement to best suit who he is trying to link with at a given time.

So third place in the league is where I think we will finish. That may change once we have a few games under our belts and when the transfer window closes.

I essentially agree with all your points regarding squad depth, strength and Lovren too. I am excited about seeing Lallana for us and hope the lack of pre-season doesnt effect him too much.

I am of course worried about the striker situation at the moment but also the fact we have brought in so many new players. They could take a bit of time to adapt to Rodgers style and also settle in the PL.

But on the flip side to that I think Coutinho is looking really settled now and could be in line for a big season. He has had some amazing matches but lacked the consistency over a season so far. I think (as his recent interview showed) he is angry over the Brazil snub and is ready to step up another level in the PL and force his way in to Dungas thinking..

So having said that I think we will get 4th (at the moment). I think it will be very tight between us, Arsenal and probably Utd. Its difficult to tell what sort of impact the CL will have on the players and indeed the manager as its his first foray into the top level of European football.

A new quality striker and I think we could definitely finish 3/4 and be close to the top 2 like last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm going for 4th if everyone in the Top 4 race has to start with what they have now.

Chelsea/City/Arsenal/Liverpool

That said I also think Liverpool are one top top signing from genuinely being contenders to win the league. I expect the goals scored to drop by about 20 but equally I think the goals conceded tally will fall quite a bit. About 80 goals is good enough for Top 4 if 30-35 are let in.

I've written off besting the likely top two without that extra forward, Arsenals third place is on the proviso that they have an injury rate that most clubs have rather than the average Arsenal crocked rate!, if they have half their best match day 17 in the physio room come January then they'll finish 4th and Liverpool third.

I also think we will finish 3rd atm. If we signed a top class striker I think we could win it. We have young players who are all improving & bought 2 top PL performers in Lovren & Lallana who should fit in easily coming from a similar style in Southampton. Moreno will be a huge assest in breaking down defences overlaping on the left. I can see our best 11 being.

_____________Mignolet______________
    Manquillo____Skrtel_____Lovren___Moreno
    ________Gerrard______Henderson______
    Lallana_______Coutinho_______Sterling
    ___________Sturridge_____________

I think with those players we will press teams even more this season & the defence won't be as deep either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I believe that Chelsea and City will fight for top spot, Arsenal a close third this year and then ourselves and United battling for fourth. I expect Everton and Spurs to be bot to far off CL either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

The title is between City and Chelsea, with a 3 way scrap for 3rd and 4th

Chelsea
    City
    Utd
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

But if Arsenal get a proper enforcer in MF i think they will get Top 4 at our expense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Any pics of Moreno leaning lads?

Can't wait until Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The title is between City and Chelsea, with a 3 way scrap for 3rd and 4th

Chelsea
    City
    Utd
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

But if Arsenal get a proper enforcer in MF i think they will get Top 4 at our expense

I think they need a 20 goal a year striker. Although the enforcer would be a plus as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think we'll get 3rd place. I think Rodgers has assessed that, minus Suarez, we cannot just outscore the opposition anymore, we can't attack attack attack. The team will still be attack minded but less prone to defensive errors and the midfield won't be caught too like last season leaving the back 4 exposed. We don't need to win games 5-0 or 3-0, we just need a 1-0 or 2-1. The season before last we used to dominate games but not score. Last season we scored buckets of goals but were defensively sloppy. Just get the balance right and we will be fine and I think the likes of Lovren and Can will help. I think we still need 1 more striker and I'd like that to be wrapped up soon.

Sterling and Countinho will have immense opportunities to grow with CL football. I'm really really looking forward to those big European nights at Anfield again, I really missed it. We've got a good squad now with options in different positions, good backup. It's the first time in a long time I could look at our bench and not despair. That's were the club let itself down last season, brilliant starting 11, very weak bench.

8-10 wrote: »
    2nd to Chelsea but not as close as last year. I think City will be worse this year for some reason and if they go far in Europe it might affect them down the stretch.

That doesn't mean I'm expecting it to happen because to be honest I cannot call the league this year. I just know that Chelsea are definitely better than us. I'm not going to say that about any other team though so for me 2nd is realistic again.

That is interesting. I am actually going the other way with those two. I reckon City will again be the team to beat this season as they have an awesome squad that knows how to work as a unit first and foremost. I see them having a slowish start to the season and then going on a massive run from about Xmas onwards. Similar to last season. They just remind me of a big locomotive. Slow lurching start, but gradually building up such a head of steam that they just plow their way through the majority of teams.

Chelsea I am not as worried about. They too have a pretty awesome squad, but they seem to have more weaknesses than City, and I don't think that they are as fluid a unit as City, and don't think they will be. The siege mentality that one associates with Mourinho teams just does not seem to be as strong since he returned to Chelsea, and as much as folk complain about our lack of depth up front, Chelsea don't have a great deal of quality on that front either once one gets past Costa (who may excel or who may do a Soldado).

City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man U
    Spurs
    Everton

Is how I see the top seven panning out

I'd say 5th atm.

Suarez was so instrumental to us last season and we haven't replaced him (yet).

I think the new defensive signings will help matters but the way we play we'll still concede alot of goals and the majority of the time last season we could rely on the genius of Suaraz and Sturridge to help us at the other end. Now it's just Sturridge and while I think Sterling will contribute massively he won't hit 20+ league goals.

Obviously, a top quality forward will change this but the question is based on current squad.

• Advertisement

The way things are going I think we should pay the 19m & get Bony.

- He scores goals
    - Very good link up play
    - Very Strong
    - Brillant in the air
    - Unbelieve powerful shooting
    - Isn't slow but because he is quite muscular & heavy has poor endurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

One thing Im really looking forward to see this year is whoever of Llalana, Markovic, Ibe, Coutinho, Sterling, Lambert, Suso doesnt start a game coming in after 60 minutes when a defence has been parking the bus & running them ragged.

I think were going to see a lot more goals scored later on in games this year. Not that Im not partial to blowing teams away in the first 20 minutes also mind. But its nice to know there is enough depth to keep up that pace for 90 mins now.

EDIT/ Im going to go with a third place finish behind Chelsea/City. Arsenal fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I can't see it being too different than last season in many respects. United will obviously be stronger simply because the mutiny effect will have worn off and you only get away with that carry on once with a manager.

I can see City and Chelsea being very close towards the title, Chelsea blew it last season going for the Champions League and letting their attention on the league slip. Huge mistakes made by Jose that i'd expect he will not get away with in his second year back. City will not be as sloppy as last season in the first few games and therefore will be thereabouts right through. It's hard to win back to back seasons but they definitely have the squad to do it.

After that i cannot see us going on a 10 game winning streak but will can see us going 10 games unbeaten. I can still see us playing fast counter attacking football and with the new additions we will be as threatening going forward without possibly the lethal finishing to go with it. but we have got our house in order at the back finally and that extra strength in depth will stand to us. We will be fighting it out as it should be for the top4 and will have to see how the other heavyweights fair. I cannot see City/Chelsea give us that same opportunity as they did last season.

Ourselves and Arsenal to scrap it out for 3rd/4th and hope for the other 2 to slip up and take their eye off the ball, United and Spurs to always be within touching distance but not quite overtake us. Unless United sign a rake of players in the next 2 weeks i am content that they'll be found out in midfield and especially the backline while trying to play the 3 defenders. I do see them improving no doubt but not enough to trouble the better teams.

I have slight worries about us if we got a bad injury or two but overall the squad has been strengthened significantly. Only need a few of the new guys to step up to the plate and we can enjoy the same style of football as last year. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

I'm interested to read your analysis of our prospects does not include a break-down of the oppoisition's chances. This is, I believe, a happy by-product of our changed mind-sets after last year's performances, whereby we are generally happier to now guage our chances based on what we are doing rather than worrying about others.

And following on from that philosophy, I too am going to ignore the strengthening efforts of our rivals and claim that I think we can win it this year. We've been thrilled by the progress of our young uns Raheem & the Count, we've been fortified with defensive recruits and we are still due another striking option. We play positive attacking football which suits the 3 pt a win league format and we will not concede as often this year. We broke through the mental barrier of beating the other top teams last year, often breath-takingly so.

The difference could be that new striker, bring in a 15:10 player (15 goals / 10 assists) and I think we have enough to win it.

It's clear Rodgers is no fool and if can implement our system to provide more defensive cover while still playing attacking football the guy is onto a winner.

Jaysus, I've a semi thinking about the new season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

5th.
    Like most I think Chelsea and Man City will be fighting for the title. If Arsenal can avoid their usual injury epidemic then I think that they have a very strong squad and will come 3rd. United may not be that strong defensively or in midfield but if Rooney, Mata and Van Persie stay fit I can see LVG getting the best out of that triumvirate
    They have the potential to win all of their opening 7 fixtures and build up a head of steam and as being well documented no European football will only enhance their EPL campaign.

Liverpool have invested well but I do think it's going to take time for players to gel together. Very happy with Lovren signing he may be expensive but he's the Vocal organiser and leader that we need and I can see Skrtel or Sakho flourishing with him leading the line.

Lallana and Can look like very good additions for our high press/tempo style football.

It's up front is where I worry. I have no doubts about Sturridge when he's playing his excellent, it's the length of time that he spends on the treatment table that concerns me. Lambert and Borini don't inspire me with confidence. I like both players but I would not wish them to fill Danny's position for a period of say 9-10 games.If we had signed Remy I would have us in the top 4

I'm a pessimist at heart and I did predict that Liverpool would finish 6th last year and we came 2nd.

So 5th might mean :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's clear Rodgers is no fool and if can implement our system to provide more defensive cover while still playing attacking football the guy is onto a winner.

Jaysus, I've a semi thinking about the new season!

I just hope we get to the semi-final of one of the cup competitions so I can use the "I haven't been this nervous about a semi since... " joke.

On the season itself I think we'll finish third. I also have a funny feeling that City might perform poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I think we will have a battle with United for fourth but ultimately I think we will finish 5th.

1. The loss of Suarez - Not only for his individual brilliance, his goals and his assists, but defenders were petrified of him and therefore this allowed more room for the likes of Sturridge and Sterling. With Suarez gone, more of the focus will be put on Sterling and Sturridge by opposing teams. I really feel that so many are underestimating the loss of Suarez.

2. No partner/back up for Sturridge - Its impossible replace Suarez like for like, but the fact is we haven't replaced him with anyone. Sturridge is injury prone and the chances are high he will get an injury at some stage. We need to sign a top forward before the window closes.

3. Champions League - Not only will this be a first for the majority of the squad, but this is the first time Rodgers will experience big mid week games running into the weekend matches. Add in the fact that United this season will be able to focus on the Premier League gives them the added advantage here. More recovery time for RVP is always a bad thing.

4. Arsenal - They have made some excellent signings this window with the obvious being Sanchez. Ozil has a season under his belt and often we see improvements from these type of players. Walcott will be coming back from injury, Ramsey if he can stay fit and Wilshire likewsie.

5. Chelsea - Made some killer signings this window and were the type of signings I had hoped for. Felipe Luis, Costa and Fabregas are undoubted quality. My tip for the title.

6. City - While not making any real groundbreaking signing this summer, they have another season under Pellegrini, Jovetic coming back from injury and if Aguero can stay injury free too they will challenge imo.

So yeah all a bit depressing with my view. There are rumblings that Reus is on his way to A.Madrid today too. God il be pissed if that happens without us even trying.

garra wrote: »
    I'm interested to read your analysis of our prospects does not include a break-down of the oppoisition's chances. This is, I believe, a happy by-product of our changed mind-sets after last year's performances, whereby we are generally happier to now guage our chances based on what we are doing rather than worrying about others.

And following on from that philosophy, I too am going to ignore the strengthening efforts of our rivals and claim that I think we can win it this year. We've been thrilled by the progress of our young uns Raheem & the Count, we've been fortified with defensive recruits and we are still due another striking option. We play positive attacking football which suits the 3 pt a win league format and we will not concede as often this year. We broke through the mental barrier of beating the other top teams last year, often breath-takingly so.

The difference could be that new striker, bring in a 15:10 player (15 goals / 10 assists) and I think we have enough to win it.

My post was long enough without me giving my take on the other six clubs that will most likely be in the mix :)

Although I did give a little take on how I think City and Chelsea will do in my reply to 8-10.

But I do think that most folk, myself included, will have had a little think about the other teams before deciding on how our team will do this season.

What I am pretty confident of though is that this will be a very tight season, and one that will have another fairly open title race going into the final two months of the season.

Am quite looking forward to seeing how some of the so called lesser teams do also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

From Paddy Powers twitter.

Bu_Ru-VCEAATIAN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I think 4th also. I think we can mix it at the top end for sure, but we will probably do somewhat of an 'Arsenal' on it and fall away in January. I think Brendao is a common sense manager and will introduce the new boys slowly enough bar Lovren. Can, Manquillo and Markovic will be bedded in slowly but surely. Not sure about Moreno or Lallana, he must be tempted to put them in quickly. But the familiarity of Cou/Sturridge/Hendo/Sterling/Stevie will ensure we operate at in and around the same level as last year.

The reason I don't have us as high as last year is a combination of:

- new lads finding their feet
    - Chelsea, Arsenal and United being stronger than last year (everyone will be pulling points from each other)
    - competing in a few different competitions

I think we'll finish 4th be in with a shout for either FA or League Cup too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

My thoughts on the season.

1st. Chelsea - It's incredibly hard to win the league twice on the trot, and I think with Mourinho back with a season already under his belt, I just can't see past Chelsea. Last season, it was their lack of attacking threat and inability to break down teams that ultimately killed their title shot. I think with the signing of Costa and Fabregas, they will remain strong defensively, but they will also have the new firepower that should combine well with the likes of Hazard and Schurrle.

2nd. Man City - Think there's real strength in depth in that City team and like Chelsea, they will rattle out the wins. I can easily see the title being decided at the last day of the season with themselves and Chelsea. Like I said though, with Mourinho gee'ing up his players and the fact that winning the league twice on the trot being so hard, I think they will narrowly miss out. Having said that, is Costa flops or gets injured, then Chelsea look very short upfront.

3rd. Liverpool - City beat us to the title last season, we are weaker this year and they are stronger. We pipped Chelsea to 2nd, but again, they look a stronger team this year than we do. With European football offering a further distraction, I can't see us having the focus or the squad to finish ahead of either team this season. My only fear this season is that without Suarez, if Sturridge goes off the boil, then we are in trouble. Desperately need a great second option to come in.

4th. Arsenal - They beat us to Sanchez and they will probably run us closer in the league this year, but the Arsenal team have a perennial problem with key players getting injured and a mental frailty that causes them to lose form at some point in the season. If they can somehow keep everyone fit, then I think they will beat us into 3rd.

5th. Man Utd - A lot has been made of LGV and the man himself is under immense pressure to deliver. I think his style will suit United and in RVP he has a player who would die for him. With all that said though, Herrera is a gamble and I am not sure that a left back like Shaw can have a huge impact in turning this team around. The real problem for United remains the midfield and defence. With Vidic gone and many ordinary players remaining, I don't think they will have the consistency.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gun to my head for a decision, I'd say 5th right now. However, the season almost never goes the way people expect it to and I wouldn't be shocked if we finished anywhere from 1st to 7th, although 3rd to 5th is most likely.

Looking forward to the ride anyhow, come on you redmen!

joe123 wrote: »
    I think we will have a battle with United for fourth but ultimately I think we will finish 5th.

1. The loss of Suarez - Not only for his individual brilliance, his goals and his assists, but defenders were petrified of him and therefore this allowed more room for the likes of Sturridge and Sterling. With Suarez gone, more of the focus will be put on Sterling and Sturridge by opposing teams. I really feel that so many are underestimating the loss of Suarez.

2. No partner/back up for Sturridge - Its impossible replace Suarez like for like, but the fact is we haven't replaced him with anyone. Sturridge is injury prone and the chances are high he will get an injury at some stage. We need to sign a top forward before the window closes.

3. Champions League - Not only will this be a first for the majority of the squad, but this is the first time Rodgers will experience big mid week games running into the weekend matches. Add in the fact that United this season will be able to focus on the Premier League gives them the added advantage here. More recovery time for RVP is always a bad thing.

4. Arsenal - They have made some excellent signings this window with the obvious being Sanchez. Ozil has a season under his belt and often we see improvements from these type of players. Walcott will be coming back from injury, Ramsey if he can stay fit and Wilshire likewsie.

5. Chelsea - Made some killer signings this window and were the type of signings I had hoped for. Felipe Luis, Costa and Fabregas are undoubted quality. My tip for the title.

6. City - While not making any real groundbreaking signing this summer, they have another season under Pellegrini, Jovetic coming back from injury and if Aguero can stay injury free too they will challenge imo.

So yeah all a bit depressing with my view. There are rumblings that Reus is on his way to A.Madrid today too. God il be pissed if that happens without us even trying.

Some good points made well there, but would like to touch on what you said about City. I reckon that Mangala, Caballero, and Fernando all are good enough to improve the City first team, and as such City may actually be that bit stronger this coming season. Am expecting another big signing from City before the window ends. Think their net spend this summer is at about the 25m mark, so another quality arrival may be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I read there on twitter that we have only lost 1 League game out of the 12 that Suarez has missed. For the life of me, I can't remember which one it is. Can anyone remember?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement