Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

FitzShane wrote: »
    I read there on twitter that we have only lost 1 League game out of the 12 that Suarez has missed. For the life of me, I can't remember which one it is. Can anyone remember?

Trying to remember if he was out for the Southampton game last season.

Edit: Yep that was one of the games he was out for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FitzShane wrote: »
    I read there on twitter that we have only lost 1 League game out of the 12 that Suarez has missed. For the life of me, I can't remember which one it is. Can anyone remember?

Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton (Lovren, so we have that sorted!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

As usual pessimism dominates on this thread

I'm actually quite optimistic about the season ahead.

Yes we have lost Suarez but I think we have bought well and a striker is still to come in.

People are underestimating Sturridge and I think goals will come from other midfield players. Also think Suarez's goals will helped to be offset by a tighter defence that needs to concede 20 goals less than last season.

Regarding other teams. I still think City are favourites as they are the champions and have kept a team together with players are at their peak.

Everyone seems to be giving the title to Chelsea, but if Costa gets injured or suspended (I think he's the next Suarez for controversy) then they are light up front.

Utd, whilst I agree they will be stronger than last season I would not rate them as certs for top 4.
    Too many have van Gaal already marked as a success but I just have a feeling that his squad might still struggle.
    Arsenal appear to have bought well but can they sustain a challenge?

Overall, despite the loss of Suarez, I think the squad has more depth and competition for places.The likes of Leiva, Johnson and Enrique are no longer first team choices with only young lads for cover and I actually think we could mount a serious title challenge and have a good run in the CL.

I know most will disagree but feck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

murpho999 wrote: »

Yes we have lost Suarez but I think we have bought well and a striker is still to come in.

People are underestimating Sturridge and I think goals will come from other midfield players. Also think Suarez's goals will helped to be offset by a tighter defence that needs to concede 20 goals less than last season.

Regarding other teams. I still think City are favourites as they are the champions and have kept a team together with players are at their peak.

Everyone seems to be giving the title to Chelsea, but if Costa gets injured or suspended (I think he's the next Suarez for controversy) then they are light up front.

Utd, whilst I agree they will be stronger than last season I would not rate them as certs for top 4.
    Too many have van Gaal already marked as a success but I just have a feeling that his squad might still struggle.

Overall, despite the loss of Suarez, I think the squad has more depth and competition for places.The likes of Leiva, Johnson and Enrique are no longer first team choices with only young lads for cover and I actually think we could mount a serious title challenge and have a good run in the CL.

From what I can see most replying today seem to think that we will be in the top four come the end of the season, and that suggests most think that we will be competing at the top end of the table again this season.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The title is between City and Chelsea, with a 3 way scrap for 3rd and 4th

Chelsea
    City
    Utd
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

But if Arsenal get a proper enforcer in MF i think they will get Top 4 at our expense

Id swap utd (5)and arsenal (3) around.

I cant see utd getting 3rd .
    Us 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Moreno off to meet the lads this morning.

BvEs5ePCYAEz62X.jpg

James Pearce is doing a webchat thingy on the Echo site later (prolly 1 pm)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-views-7618105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I dont think people are underestimating him, more of a worry of if/when he gets injured. My post is going off the basis our transfer window is done. If I hear we sign a quality forward tomorrow then that will change again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Trying to remember if he was out for the Southampton game last season.

Edit: Yep that was one of the games he was out for
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton (Lovren, so we have that sorted!)

Of course! I kept thinking that he played that game & Sturridge missed out, but it was the other way around.

• Advertisement

Champions league games take a lot out of players, both physically and mentally so I do think points will be dropped the weekend after games.

Had a few mins to spare at work and was interested to see what results we picked up the weekend after Champions league games last season despite us not being in the comp.

Anyway:

Week 1: Lost Southampton 0-1
    Week 2: Won Palace 3-1
    Week 3: Won West Brom 4-1
    Week 4: Won Fulham 4-0
    Week 5: Lost Hull 3-1
    Week 6: Won Spurs 0-5

So 12/18 points.

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't mean a whole pile only that I was slacking at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd say 5th atm.

Suarez was so instrumental to us last season and we haven't replaced him (yet).

I think the new defensive signings will help matters but the way we play we'll still concede alot of goals and the majority of the time last season we could rely on the genius of Suaraz and Sturridge to help us at the other end. Now it's just Sturridge and while I think Sterling will contribute massively he won't hit 20+ league goals.

Obviously, a top quality forward will change this but the question is based on current squad.

How I feel at this present time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

skywalker wrote: »

BvEs5ePCYAEz62X.jpg

Those jeans... Not cool, Moreno. Not cool.

joe123 wrote: »
    I dont think people are underestimating him, more of a worry of if/when he gets injured. My post is going off the basis our transfer window is done. If I hear we sign a quality forward tomorrow then that will change again.

But our transfer window is not done and a striker is definitely on the way so I think we should just wait and see.

I do think that Sturridge will increase his goal tally if he was made the main man upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Based on our squad as it stands today, where do people think we will finish in the league this season?

Taking everything into account i think 4th/5th. Anything higher would be another fantastic season. Another match winning signing would help.

As things currently stand we have a squad that will keep getting better. A top 4 finish this season will be fantastic for LFC and will make us stronger again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I admire your optimism if i dont necessarily agree with it...but just on that defensive side of things, Am i the only one who believes that part of the reason Liverpool shipped so many goals last season was down to Gerrard as the "Defensive Midfielder" and I excpect us to again concede a shed load of goals compared to our rivals.

I just dont think he provides the same protection to the back four as players who play their naturally and have better engines, like Fernando \ Matic. Im not talking about the Ba goal by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Knex. wrote: »
    Those jeans... Not cool, Moreno. Not cool.

The jacket can go too!

I think we'll come close, but ultimately end up 5th. However, last season I thought we'd end up 6th, and we came within a game of winning the league, so who bloody knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

allybhoy wrote: »
    I admire your optimism if i dont necessarily agree with it...but just on that defensive side of things, Am i the only one who believes that part of the reason Liverpool shipped so many goals last season was down to Gerrard as the "Defensive Midfielder" and I excpect us to again concede a shed load of goals compared to our rivals.

I just dont think he provides the same protection to the back four as players who play their naturally and have better engines, like Fernando \ Matic. Im not talking about the Ba goal by the way.

I think a lot of our goals shipped were from lack of concentration, especially by Johnson and Skrtel, I think Lovren has got this taken care of. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

But our transfer window is not done and a striker is definitely on the way so I think we should just wait and see.

I do think that Sturridge will increase his goal tally if he was made the main man upfront.

I was answering Kess' question:
    Based on our squad as it stands today

joe123 wrote: »
    I was answering Kess' question:

Sorry but you quoted me which makes me assume it's directed at my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gafferino wrote: »
    The jacket can go too!

We should tack 'Fashion Squad' on to the thread title it seems...

But tbf his boots do like they're covered in plastic bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Vicxas wrote: »
    We should tack 'Fashion Squad' on to the thread title it seems...

But tbf his boots do like they're covered in plastic bags.

and 'Hair squad'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

1408091842140_wps_7_Barcelona_s_Uruguayan_for.jpg

brian-vomiting-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Top 4 is pessimistic ?! Shows how much people feel we've come on

BvEs5ePCYAEz62X.jpg

Looks like Moreno took acid before getting dressed and picking up his boots.

I'd nearly send him back, if I was Rodgers and he turned up to Melwood looking like that.

Have to send Can, or someone, around to his gaff and sort his life out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just dont let him near Enrique.

It could set off all kinds of weirdness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd nearly send him back, if I was Rodgers and he turned up to Melwood looking like that.

Have to send Can, or someone, around to his gaff and sort his life out.

Coutinho has had his moments as well!

I expect he'll be rooming with Enrique, Suso or Manquillo, so let's see who rubs off on him!

flanzer wrote: »
    1408091842140_wps_7_Barcelona_s_Uruguayan_for.jpg

Pink is Sooooooo last season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Pink is Sooooooo last season.

Ha last season? Pink was never in Vicxas!

Augmerson wrote: »
    Ha last season? Pink was never in Vicxas!

What are you talking about. Look at this majestic thing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What are you talking about. Look at this majestic thing!

EVERTON!?!?!

648.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

We scored a truck full of goals last season, but out very dodgy defence leaked goals like a sieve. The defence has been given a right over haul this season with a true leader in it for the first time since Carra left. This and the attacking flair which has also been improved makes me think that CL aside, we're gonna be in the hunt in the last two three games again this season. It is my most anticipated season for a long time, even without whoever played for us at no 7 last year.
    TL;DR : min 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

4th this season would be fantastic,a good run in a domestic cup & CL knock out stage would be even better.Not asking for much is it :D

Didi Hamann reporting on Twitter that Reus has decided to go to Atletico??? If that's the case no one in Liverpool really put any effort into signing him I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That Suarez pic has broken my heart :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Probably not going to get to ask this tomorrow as will be up the walls trying to get a few things done before travelling to Liverpool for the game the following day.

So will ask today instead.

Based on our squad as it stands today, where do people think we will finish in the league this season? Not where you hope we will finish, but rather what finishing position you think the current squad will actually finish in.

Might be interesting to ask now and then ask again as soon as the transfer window closes to see if any of us have our minds changed in the coming two or so weeks.

Myself I think we will come third this season. I am basing that on us having a stronger squad, a squad that has much more quality in depth than last season. Yes we have at least six extra games this season through being in the CL, but unlike last season I think we have the quality in depth to handle some rotation.

Another reason why I think we will do well enough in the league is down to me thinking we will concede less goals that last season, and although I think we will score less (and even if Suarez had stayed I don't think we would have matched last season's tally of goals), I still think we will hit around the 80 or so goal mark in the league which when put with hopefully conceding less will see us actually do better on the GD front.

Lovern I think is going to be a monster player for us, in fact I am struggling to think of another Liverpool player that impressed me so much when I first got to watch him from inside the ground. I mention inside the ground because it was his off the ball stuff that really impressed me. His organising of the back line, how vocal he was, and how he would take up positions based on the play in front of him. I know it was against a much weakened Dortmund team, but the way Lovern went about his business really impressed me.

Lallana I think will be a success as well, and I think folks that doubt him are in for a really pleasant surprise once he starts to hit full stride. The guy is quick, highly skilled, has a crazy workrate, is good at tracking back, is a lovely dribbler, but most importantly for me he is a very clever player who links well with other players. Strikes me as a player who can get the best out of the others around him thanks to being able to adjust his passing/movement to best suit who he is trying to link with at a given time.

So third place in the league is where I think we will finish. That may change once we have a few games under our belts and when the transfer window closes.

So how about everyone else? Where do you think we will finish, and why do you think we will finish there?

I think we'll finish 4th or 5th. I think, bar any new signings, we've stood still a bit this summer. We have a lot of good players but we don't have a lot of experience in the squad and I think that will become evident throughout the season.

City, Chelsea and Arsenal will take 3 from the top 4 so its between us Utd and Spurs and Utd concern me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

BvEs5ePCYAEz62X.jpg

Looks old and young all at the same time.

Looks old and young all at the same time.

Looks like me on the morning after a night on the Vodka and Red Bulls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We're gonna absolutely piss the league, might even win CL too I reckon!

Remember when Owen left in his prime, we won CL the following season!

Well Suarez has left in his prime (:() we're gonna win the League this season and minimum finalists in CL!

I've ordered my Prem League winners badges already, just wish Warrior would hurry up and release the 15/16 kit so I can stick them on ffs :mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd give my couple of bobs worth on our finishing position.

In a nutshell, I think the Top 7 Mini-league will decide the final table.

The way I see it, we've strengthened the squad big time, which was our main complaint last season. Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Everton & Spurs have also strengthened to varying degrees. No Man Utd fan can say with their hand on their heart that their squad is stronger than last season, but on the other hand, they've no Europe to worry about.

So, my point is, with squad strength taken into account, Chelsea, Arsenal, City and us should have a higher level of consistency against the lower teams. Everton, Spurs and United have strong starting 11's, who they will field against us (injuries and bans permitting). But their lack of strength in depth could lead to some surprise results along the way.

I predict that Spurs, Everton and United will be in a close race all season for catching 4th or nailing 5th.

As for the top 4, as I said earlier, I think the top 7 mini league will decide the makeup of the finishing positions.

Using last season as a barometer, we had special results against our direct rivals. If we can even replicate 80% of that this time round, we'll be nailed on for Champos League.

City home and away, Chelsea home and away, and Arsenal home and away will decide which one of the top 4 spots we take IMO.

As for a prediction, we've had yet another pre-season of the lads getting used to the high pressue, high temp game, and I can see us dominating all teams at Anfield. Chelsea and City will be formidable away from home, but I can see us doing Arsenal.

My predictions:

1- City
    2- Chelsea
    3 - LFC
    4 - Arsenal
    5 - United
    6 - Everton
    7 - Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Must have read/seen dozens of season previews over the past week. I reckon 90% of them have Liverpool finishing outside in the top 4. Clearly there is not a lot of faith out there in this team without Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I recently wrote an article on the Top 4 and said in it that I found it near impossible to make a call. It's going to be an incredibly tight league, but if I was forced to call it right now I'll say we'll get 4th.

I'm actually quite excited at how much Rodgers has beefed up the squad and I think if he can secure one more piece of business we'll fend off our rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I thought we would finish 5th last season. How wrong I was then.
    Will wait and see what striker we can bring in before the end of the transfer window. I do think that Man City and Chelsea will be 1st and 2nd. The rest of the top 5 will be too close to call.
    Looking forward to the Southampton game at the weekend.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-views-7618105
    Jabbar Ahmed: Whats the current news on Assaidi ? has his proposed move to Stoke fallen through ?

Well, I can confirm Assaidi is still around because I walked past him in the Melwood reception area earlier.

Liverpool have a deal in place with Stoke and Assaidi has no future at Anfield. Things appear to have been held up by the player's demands for a pay-off. That's why there is a delay. Hopefully common sense will prevail and he will get himself down to the Britannia Stadium in the next few days.
    Muhammed Ali: Is it true that we have bid for Wilfried bony today and what is the current situation of Reus linking him to LFC?

No, there is no truth in LFC bidding for Bony today. I can't see Liverpool going back in for him. As for Reus, despite the continuous Twitter rumours, LFC have never shown any interest in making a move for him this summer.

Reports of Reus to Atletico.

If that happens I will be very upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'll wait until after the 1st game before I give my prediction on how we will finish the season. I'll also change that prediction after every subsequent match we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I would be blown away if Atletico were the team to pick him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Pearce again on #Moreno. The paperwork for the Moreno deal hasn't been registered in time for Sunday's game. #LFC

Pearce expects the same central defence and Manquillo to be at RB (as was against Dortmund) to feature v Southampton #LFC

Pearce: We will probably see likes of Robinson, Coates, Ilori and Teixeira go on loan. #LFC

James Pearce includes #Borini and #Assaidi as permanent departures when questioned. Uncertainty on #Agger. #LFC

On #Agger, Pearce says "Liverpool don't make a habit these days of keeping high earners to warm the bench." #LFC

I reckon 3-1 on Sunday. Shane long to score first then Sturridge hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

5starpool wrote: »
    Looking forward to the ride anyhow, come on you redmen!

c640x360_31.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Apparently it's for €25m. Atletico are getting an unbelievable deal, if it's true. I'd be happy if we'd paid 40m for him, or even more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement