Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

If only he could do this every time he takes a shot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mickalus wrote: »
    One of the things that stood out for me when Rodgers was talking about the collapse of the Remy deal, was how he said it was unfortunate for the player, and they were disappointed for Remy, but he DIDN'T say anything about how he himself (Rodgers) or the club were disappointed about the deal falling apart....

Yep thought some of what Rodgers said came across as being quite pointed.

Rodgers seems to be quite a deliberate man when it comes to what he says in public, and took quite a bit of what he was saying to be a "sort your affairs/background team out" type message to Remy.

Did find it amusing when Redknapp stuck his oar in though. Funny that Harry would have so much to say about the player and how the player was the fittest player he had ever seen, when it was Harry that was happy to let the same player go out on loan last season, and it is Harry who is happy to sell the player this summer.

garra wrote: »
    Looking at the illustrious names on McKay's books, perhaps we have dodged a bullet with Remy's "failed medical"... Stephen Joey Barton and El Hadji Diouf to name but 2 of the biggest trouble-making spitting & punching foul-mouthed vindictive little tw&rps you could hope to see lining up for you.
    It says something about a player that he would be attracted to an agent like McKay imo.

Have a feeling that it is more a case of certain agents having their foot in the door with certain clubs and managers. A lot of the players that McKay signs up have a number of clubs/managers in common. I suspect it may be a similar set up to what the likes of Allardyce has with certain agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just had a Utd fan telling me how they're going to win the league next year, and how Liverpool will plummet because we don't have Suarez and this is the season where Gerrard is going to bomb.

it was quite aggressive for some reason too.

last season really, really got to a few of them.

honestly, i think they'll get top 4, with Rodgers' management of the squad having to be superb for us to get in there. i actually do make them favourites over us to get that spot.

but my God, one season in the doldrums sent a few of them insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have a feeling that it is more a case of certain agents having their foot in the door with certain clubs and managers. A lot of the players that McKay signs up have a number of clubs/managers in common. I suspect it may be a similar set up to what the likes of Allardyce has with certain agents.

Harry probably has a deal with QPR where he gets a % of any transfer fee for players sold that he himself signed. Perhaps a percentage of the profits or something like that, there are managers that have deals where its nearly in their financial interests to sell their best assets if it means lining their own pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

One of the things that stood out for me when Rodgers was talking about the collapse of the Remy deal, was how he said it was unfortunate for the player, and they were disappointed for Remy, but he DIDN'T say anything about how he himself (Rodgers) or the club were disappointed about the deal falling apart....

Between the lines, that was a great show in its day!

It could well be the medical gave them a reason to not sign him. Tbh, and I said it was a no brainer signing him at that money, I'm not majorly disappointed. A squad player for me, but if he has attitude issues it doesn't matter how cheap he is, Moses anybody?

Jesus, things are gone quiet, Origi signed and doesn't seem to be any reputable links to anybody in the last few days. Remy falling through and the tour probably doesn't help.

On players leaving, I'd a feeling these would drag on late. Everybody knows we've money to spend but aren't under any major pressure to sell, interested clubs were always going to drag these things out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Schneiderlin has apparently handed in a transfer request.

they won't be getting £27m for him now.

throw in £15-£18m and you have someone who can cover for and compete with Gerrard.

yes, yes, I know we'd be taking the píss with the pillaging of Southampton, but he's an excellent player IMO, and would be a stabilising influence that I'm not that sure is in there right now.

Lucas is not what we need.

i'm ready for you all to shoot me for suggesting another Southampton player BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

SlickRic wrote: »
    just had a Utd fan telling me how they're going to win the league next year, and how Liverpool will plummet because we don't have Suarez and this is the season where Gerrard is going to bomb.

honestly, i think they'll get top 4, with Rodgers' management of the squad having to be superb for us to get in there. i actually do make them favourites over us to get that spot.

Understandable tbh, the pressure is massive on their team. Another season out of the top 4 and the sheer panic of a possible downward spiral that's hard to stop begins.

To be fair, I can remember going lulah for a season or two after Kenny first left us. Was very off putting to suddenly be out of the mix, although got plenty of practise getting used to it since. :)

Do agree that it will be tough going this coming season. There will be a cluster of six or seven who will all be capable of going for a top 4 finish, not to mention whatever team turns out to be the surprise package and ends up taking points off of a lot of the big teams before fading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That first full season under Souness.....mother of God!

And the year we won our first 3 league games against Sheff Wed, QPR and Swindon, Christ we thought we were back in the big time (Nigel Clough was the signing of the season!!! :pac:) til Spurs done a job on us at Anfield. If nothing else tho I think that was the season Fowler was introduced into the team :)

Schneiderlin has apparently handed in a transfer request.

they won't be getting £27m for him now.

throw in £15-£18m and you have someone who can cover for and compete with Gerrard.

yes, yes, I know we'd be taking the píss with the pillaging of Southampton, but he's an excellent player IMO, and would be a stabilising influence that I'm not that sure is in there right now.

Lucas is not what we need.

i'm ready for you all to shoot me for suggesting another Southampton player BTW.

Think I would prefer to go after Clyne if Southampton became our venue for a bit more shopping (anyone else think that Barca bought Suarez with Southampton FC vouchers?:))

Would love to see us getting some sort of deal in place now for going after Strootman in January. Now that would be a player who could compete with Gerrard and possibly replace Gerrard in the set up we currently use.

kfallon wrote: »
    That first full season under Souness.....mother of God!

And the year we won our first 3 league games against Sheff Wed, QPR and Swindon, Christ we thought we were back in the big time (Nigel Clough was the signing of the season!!! :pac:) til Spurs done a job on us at Anfield. If nothing else tho I think that was the season Fowler was introduced into the team :)

Haha that little run of wins had my hopes up soooooo high. :D

The 5-0 against Swindon was a real "We're Back mofos" moment for the younger me. Did not take very long at all for reality to kick back in. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Can/Henderson surely the long term successor to Gerrard
    We have far more important holes in our squad to fill and for near 20m, defensive midfielders are 5 a penny. Would be a waste of money considering how few games he would play and the fact that we still have a highly paid Lucas in our squad

Would love to see us getting some sort of deal in place now for going after Strootman in January. Now that would be a player who could compete with Gerrard and possibly replace Gerrard in the set up we currently use.

i'd sort of blocked Strootman out of my mind after:

1. by all accounts Van Gaal is very keen, and Utd are favourites
    2. £79m has been quoted apparently for him.

he would be ideal though, you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, I've had a few Utd supporters like that as well.

Some still saying Liverpool were lucky last year and will be bad without Suarez, despite them saying Suarez didn't do it in big games last year.

I'm actually quietly confident about next season as I think our squad is strong and improving and we have a good manager at the helm.

Interesting to see how Utd will do but I think they may struggle as they rebuild. Louis van Gaal does not seem that impressed with his squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I thought it was just me:pac:

One lad, a Man U supporter, i play indoor soccer with for a long long time Just can't get his head around their 7th place last year. He gets very angry when anyone tries to slag him about it but we had 20 years of slagging from him and he is being buttered up brilliantly.

It is quite difficult to get used to not being immune to failure and heaven help Van Gaal if he doesn't get them back into the CL, a lot of 'supporters' will turn on him fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Haha that little run of wins had my hopes up soooooo high. :D

The 5-0 against Swindon was a real "We're Back mofos" moment for the younger me. Did not take very long at all for reality to kick back in. :pac:

About 3 days it took, Clough put us ahead against Spurs and we thought the League was over.....ah the days of Radio 5....

"There's been another goal at Anfield......"

Must be 2-0, we're gonna win the League

"1-1 here now"

Just a blip, we'll prob score 3 in the second half

"A third goal at Anfield, which way has it gone?"

Here we go, normal service resumed.....

"2-1.....to Spurs"

Ah Jaysus, that's the league gone :(

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yea I have very vocal Utd supporters who have been very quiet this past year starting to get very loud again.

the way I see it is that Utd wont be that bad, and we more than likely wont be as good without Suarez so its close, and the answer is somewhere in the middle.

but I have a feeling those other teams around both of us could find some form and it becoming more than just a two horse race.

really exciting campaign coming up imo and my only hope is that the reigns are kept on City for as long as possible, as I fear they have become the force we have all feared for years.

I just keep getting the horrible feeling that Man U will get Strootman and Vidal so I want us to nick one of them. Don't care which one as they are both quality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Jesus! £79 million! That's ridiculous if true.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Jesus! £79 million! That's ridiculous if true.

i reckon it's because Ed Woodward said that Utd can pay world record transfer fees if they need to get in the right player.

in reality, i severely doubt it'd cost that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I read something about us watching Julian Brandt again yesterday (can't seem to find a proper link though). He's only 18 so unlikely we'd make a move just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Did find it amusing when Redknapp stuck his oar in though. Funny that Harry would have so much to say about the player and how the player was the fittest player he had ever seen, when it was Harry that was happy to let the same player go out on loan last season, and it is Harry who is happy to sell the player this summer.

Avent you eard? Arry's a fackin doctor these days innit.

i reckon it's because Ed Woodward said that Utd can pay world record transfer fees if they need to get in the right player.

in reality, i severely doubt it'd cost that much.

Was that not a ridiculous thing to say? Surely they'll get taken to the cleaners on every transfer now?

Rayne,what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lads, this question has been eating me up inside the last few days, whats Rodger's best bit of business this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

If the Remy deal fell apart because of wage demands then we would of leaked to the press that it fell apart because of wage demands not that he failed a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Lads, this question has been eating me up inside the last few days, whats Rodger's best bit of business this summer?

Selling Turty to Arsenal.

Knex. wrote: »
    Selling Turty to Arsenal.

His spiritual home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

hasn't been signed yet! Reus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The Transfer window thus far has been very underwhelming. At least last year we managed to hang onto Suarez.

It's questionable whether we have actually improved the team overall. We've added plenty of strength in depth but we've done absolutely nothing to address the real problem areas of the full backs and a credible alternative to Suarez (not replacement because he's irreplaceable).

Sturridge has been exceptional, is he the man to lead the line for line for liverpool next season? I don't believe so. If he picks up an injury and missed 5/6 games. Where will the goals come from?

We've lost Suarez who contributed in nearly 50 goals last season.

What is the likely return in goals from players next season?

Sturridge 15-20
    Sterling 10-15
    Gerrard 5-10
    Lallana 5-10
    Markovic 5/6
    Coutinho 5/6

I see us only scoring a maximum of 60-70 goals throughout next season. That's down from over 100.

That will mean we will need to concede far less. We conceded 50 goals. We have to bring that down by at least 20-25 goals. So far definsively we've only signed Lovren. Is he going to plug 25 goals on his own. I don't think so. I don't believe signing Schneiderlin if we pursue him will help in that regard either.

We've brought in loads of depth, I just wish Rodgers would bring in some real class that can go into the starting team and improve it from the first game of the season.

Maybe things will brighten up closer to the end of the window, but I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If Remy wants the move but his agent's demands are holding it back, what are his options regarding getting the move without him or with another agent I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For me the player that improves the first team is Lovren even at £20m so far from the players that have been bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Up to now there's a few possibilities

Getting Lovren

Getting a mega fee for Luis after bitegate3 (probably more down to Ayre)

We all now that the triple signing of Vidal, Reuss and Isco will top everything though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't forget that the team was organised to get the most from Suarez.

I don't think it's a case of just having to replace his goals and assists like for like.

BR isn't stupid. He was right last year when he said that Liverpool really made Suarez shine in the pitch. He'll get the team playing to their strengths.

It'll probably be very like the opening six games of last season.

The Transfer window thus far has been very underwhelming. At least last year we managed to hang onto Suarez.

It's questionable whether we have actually improved the team overall. We've added plenty of strength in depth but we've done absolutely nothing to address the real problem areas of the full backs and a credible alternative to Suarez (not replacement because he's irreplaceable).

Sturridge has been exceptional, is he the man to lead the line for line for liverpool next season? I don't believe so. If he picks up an injury and missed 5/6 games. Where will the goals come from?

We've lost Suarez who contributed in nearly 50 goals last season.

Sturridge 15-20
    Sterling 10-15
    Gerrard 5-10
    Lallana 5-10
    Markovic 5/6
    Coutinho 5/6

I see us only scoring a maximum of 60-70 goals throughout next season. That's down from over 100.

That will mean we will need to concede far less. We conceded 50 goals. We have to bring that down by at least 20-25 goals. So far definsively we've only signed Lovren. Is he going to plug 25 goals on his own. I don't think so. I don't believe signing Schneiderlin if we pursue him will help in that regard either.

We've brought in loads of depth, I just wish Rodgers would bring in some real class that can go into the starting team and improve it from the first game of the season.

Maybe things will brighten up closer to the end of the window, but I have my doubts.

Even if Suarez had stayed I think last season's goal tally in the league would have been a difficult one to match.

The goals against is the one that we badly need to improve.

The current team I can see scoring between 70 and 80 goals this season, which would be more than respectable, so bringing down the goals against tally is where the points will be won/retained imho.

We conceded a silly number of goals last season, and any improvement on that should see a return in points

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

You need to stop broadcasting things you read on twitter as fact!

Yep guilty of not posting a link :o

but everything I post comes from a very good Twitter source that has been on the money every time, and this one is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I think with Suarez gone we can find a bit in between. We won't score as much but we will concede less.

League ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Probaly the best thing rafa left us is beating Arsenal and UTD to the signing of Raheem Sterling 4 years ago. Best academy product since Stevi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1254287/Liverpool-sign-England-starlet-Raheem-Sterling-QPR.html

Even if Suarez had stayed I think last season's goal tally in the league would have been a difficult one to match.

The goals against is the one that we badly need to improve.

The current team I can see scoring between 70 and 80 goals this season, which would be more than respectable, so bringing down the goals against tally is where the points will be won/retained imho.

We conceded a silly number of goals last season, and any improvement on that should see a return in points

On what basis will we score 70-80 and concede less? To score that level of goals you have to play a very attacking brand of football and to do that you leave yourself exposed.

Next to us in the scoring stakes was Chelsea on 71. They had at their disposal Torres, Ba, Eto who they alternated up front. Some would say they are pants but they are better than our other alternatives in Lambert and Borini.

Hazard, Oscar, Shurle, Lampard and Willian all chipped in with goals also.

We haven't addressed the problem area's in defence.

Whilst I have faith in Rodgers, I believe if we don't sign some real quality we could struggle.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Yep guilty of not posting a link :o

but everything I post comes from a very good Twitter source that has been on the money every time, and this one is no different.

timing is everything.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2014-07-30/lukaku-to-leave-chelsea-for-everton-in-18m-deal/

£18m would be a fantastic bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/watch-liverpool-fcs-daniel-sturridge-7529982#.U9f0f6AqOP4.facebook

a video with daniel sturridge never ever ceases to amaze me. what a character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Sturridge 15-20
    Sterling 10-15
    Gerrard 5-10
    Lallana 5-10
    Markovic 5/6
    Coutinho 5/6

Lambert?????
    I think he's going to chip in with at least 10+, if not 15+
    He's being overlooked a lot, most people look at him as a backup only but I'm thinking he'll do more of a job than that.
    Time will tell, and depending on who else we bring in will determine his actual play time, but I think he'll get more of a run out in the league as opposed to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Might be a good time to throw in a bid of £15m for Seamus Coleman. At best we get him, at worst we unsettle Everton abit and maybe get an good Irish player a pay rise!! Would love an Irish player back in the LFC team!

He's realistically the only one good enough or maybe James McCarthy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Squad

Mignolet/Jones

Johnson/Flanagan
    Enrique/Robinson

Lovren/Skrtel/Toure----Sakho/Agger/Ilori

Gerrard/Lucas

Henderson/Allen/Can

Coutinho/Lallana/Suso

---Sterling/Ibe
    Markovic/Borini--

Sturridge/Lambert

2540157-1436428462-Red-S.gif

We need someone else here. Perhaps it will be Can or Allen, perhaps having Lovren and Sahko will improve thigs....but it's a mess at it's current state.

Lambert?????
    He's being overlooked a lot, most people look at him as a backup only but I'm thinking he'll do more of a job than that.
    Time will tell, and depending on who else we bring in will determine his actual play time, but I think he'll get more of a run out in the league as opposed to Europe.

For Lambert to score 15+ goals he will have to start every one of the 38 Premier League games and we will have to alter our style.

Cannot see that happening.

If we get 5-10 out of him from 20-25 appearances it will be a good bit of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lambert?????

This is hugely optimistic. Not because he's incapable of scoring that many, I think he is. But he simply wont play enough games to be able to reach that figure.

He can only play through the middle....which means if Sturridge is playing, Lambert isn't. This much is obvious. Rodgers hasn't spent money on Lazar with Sterling and Coutinho already at the club to start playing Sturridge out wide. That's not going to happen. Which means he is only going to see game time off the bench and in the cups, which means he wont get anywhere near 15 goals.

The only chance he has of seeing enough game time to score that many goals is if Sturridge gets injured which would likely elevate him to starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

At the current moment in time uniteds squad is fairly average bar mata/rvp/rooney. 2 full backs, one out of form and an 18 y/o who came in for an astronomical fee, 3 centre halfs, none of which never fully claimed a stake in the team, out of form wingers for ages, ageing midfield. They've a fair bit of shopping yet to do if they are to make a mark this season imo. They'll undoubtedly improve but nothings a given as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Might be a good time to throw in a bid of £15m for Seamus Coleman. At best we get him, at worst we unsettle Everton abit and maybe get an good Irish player a pay rise!! Would love an Irish player back in the LFC team!

He's realistically the only one good enough or maybe James McCarthy either.

£15 million for Coleman? What are they smoking over at Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ah sh!te looks like everton signed lukaku, was hoping he'd feck off abroad. Always scores against us recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

For Lambert to score 15+ goals he will have to start every one of the 38 Premier League games and we will have to alter our style.

Cannot see that happening.

If we get 5-10 out of him from 20-25 appearances it will be a good bit of business.
    Kirby wrote: »
    This is hugely optimistic. Not because he's incapable of scoring that many, I think he is. But he simply wont play enough games to be able to reach that figure.

He can only play through the middle....which means if Sturridge is playing, Lambert isn't. This much is obvious. Rodgers hasn't spent money on Lazar with Sterling and Coutinho already at the club to start playing Sturridge out wide. That's not going to happen. Which means he is only going to see game time off the bench and in the cups, which means he wont get anywhere near 15 goals.

The only chance he has of seeing enough game time to score that many goals is if Sturridge gets injured which would likely elevate him to starter.

I am very optimistic about Lambert.

What we saw last year was flexibility. I wouldn't rule out Sturridge and Lambert playing together - either as 2 up top or Sturridge out wide.
    I also don't see any need for us to change our style to accommodate Lambert. He can play just fine in our system.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement