Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

we are stuck for a #9

I'd say we're more stuck for a 7.5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

We need a striker who can play with Sturridge or replace him for 10-15 games a season.

We're playing 4-3-3 this season, judging by pre-season and what Rodger's has indicated. Reus would be the perfect addition to the wing or as a replacement striker for Sturridge. Playing upfront is not much different to any other position up the field, as long as you have an eye for goal, which Reus certainly has. Many midfielders have played as strikers and vice versa, eg Fabregas played upfront for Spain during euro 2012 and Rooney, a traditional no.9, has played in midfield countless times for united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We need a player who can, when Sturridge is injured or unfit, play as our striker, but who can also play along the front three in order to get game time when Sturridge is fit. Remy would have been perfect for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think a good season would be top 4 again and the FA CUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool should be a shoe in for the U21 League this season ;)

Ward
    Manquillo--Ilori--Jones--Moreno
    Can
    Rossiter-Branagan
    --Sterling---Origi----Markovic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I find it strange that we haven't been linked with Jackson Martinez. He is perfect for what we are looking for and is defo attainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I find it strange that we haven't been linked with Jackson Martinez. He is perfect for what we are looking for and is defo attainable.

He just signed a new contract about 3 weeks ago so pretty obvious he doesnt want to leave or else he would surely have been snapped up by someone at this stage. Would love him at liverpool but looks highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

He just signed a new contract about 3 weeks ago so pretty obvious he doesnt want to leave or else he would surely have been snapped up by someone at this stage. Would love him at liverpool but looks highly unlikely

He plays for Porto, everyone is for sale. :) I think with his new contract his buy out clause is £25 million, although im open to correction on that.

He plays for Porto, everyone is for sale. :) I think with his new contract his buy out clause is £25 million, although im open to correction on that.

That was his last buy out clause afaik. I'd say it'd be considerably higher in his new contract, given the interest around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Ok lets clear this up for once and for all, Reus has not and cannot play as a lone striker. He got all his goals as an attacking midfielder in the same way as Sterling has. He would be brilliant to have in the squad but cannot replace an Etoo/Bony/AN Another striker.

We already have about 5 players that can play as a second striker, thats not what we are badly stuck for, we are stuck for a #9

Wouldnt really agree with you there. Reus usually one of those that cuts in from out wide but he has deputised in a striker role from time to time and would be perfect for us.

We are not looking to replace Sturridge, but having Reus alongside him or being able to fill in for him from time to time would be ideal.

Similar position wise to Robben and Robben played up front for Holland in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Have we any decent striker in our youth or reserve setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm a fan of Peterson but he's a long way to go. Yesil's injuries have hindered him a lot.

We haven't produced any decent striker since Owen really. I'd like to see kris peterson get some game time as he looked great in some games this summer. Yesil looked a player but has been injury plagued. Our academy is better at producing defenders and midfielders historically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Diaby will get about 5 games this season before he breaks his leg or tears a ligament, it's an unfortunate habit for him. Ozil may be 'bedded in' but judging by his performances at the WC, I don't see him justifying his price tag anytime soon.
    My tongue was firmly in cheek re Diaby. Ozil will take off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

We're playing 4-3-3 this season, judging by pre-season and what Rodger's has indicated. Reus would be the perfect addition to the wing or as a replacement striker for Sturridge. Playing upfront is not much different to any other position up the field, as long as you have an eye for goal, which Reus certainly has. Many midfielders have played as strikers and vice versa, eg Fabregas played upfront for Spain during euro 2012 and Rooney, a traditional no.9, has played in midfield countless times for united.

Indeed, that is probably why Reus has chosen us, he can see the potential to blossom a la Henri from attacking mid / wing wizard to full blown goal scoring johnny big balls stardom. If we build it, they will come. :cool: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

For the dreamers.
    BvAr7HqIUAAiBp_.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Charlie19 wrote: »
    For the dreamers.
    BvAr7HqIUAAiBp_.jpg

Paddy Power? No thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

What? :eek:
    Sturridge played up front for Bolton and was a revelation, he didnt play up front for Chelsea because they had Drogba, they sometimes played him on the wing where he was ineffective and he wasnt a bit happy about it.

Your argument about Reus is crazy. The man is an attacking midfielder. He is direct, dribbles and creates endless chances. This is completely different to being a 9. That would be like buying Lovern and asking him to play right midfield because he is athletic and can pass so could obviously do well there. People often drop backwards as they get older in their careers, but only in the very very rarest of cases do they move up the field (Henry being the only one I can think of that worked out v well). Look how difficult Walcott is finding the transition despite giving interview after interview saying he wants to play up front.

Reus would be great but he is not what we need, if we were to sign him we would DEFINITELY still need another striker

Have to agree 100%. Had the same 'discussion' on here last week as it happens.

Playing 'up front' and playing as a No 9 are two completely different things. I see someone mentioning that Robben played up front during the WC, but he did so from a wide position, not a central role.

Playing centrally you need to hold the ball up and bring others into play, something Sturridge is great at. It requires an ability to play with your back to goal which is completely different to what Robben, Reus etc do.

It's why Remy was such a loss, as he could play both positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Origi just scored for Lille :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

First of many this season I think.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can't wait for Sunday! Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge stay fit for the majority of the games and we could have another very exciting season ahead. Sturridge especially is key given the dearth of quality to replace him and what he can bring to the team at his best. If our new defensive recruits add solidity things could be really good as well, but there are so many things that can go wrong as well, including the number of players we've brought in needing time to settle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not sure they'd get any more than that.

25 million is plenty for a 28 year old striker only proven in the Portuguese & Mexican leagues and with only 2 years gametime in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just limped off injured now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Paddy Power are cretins, I wouldn't give them sh1t.

Not sure how it was given as a penalty, but here is the vine of it for Origi.

https://vine.co/v/MYLrBdpxMLx

Augmerson wrote: »
    Paddy Power? No thanks man
    Paddy Power are cretins, I wouldn't give them sh1t.

It doesn't interest me as I dont bother with outright betting but if I did, I wouldn't care who the bookie was for that price.

After some deliberation I submitted my access request so here I am, many thanks to the folk(s) who granted me access.

Looking ahead to the season, I can see how people think top 4 might be beyond Liverpool but I don't agree.

The first eleven (whatever that might be from week to week) is definitely weaker without Suarez but excluding times when 4/5 are missing due to injury/suspension etc the bench will contain some decent options. The defence has been improved considerably (on paper) but I do think that will translate to far fewer goals conceded, also Mignolet should benefit and and so too should Gerrard, in Gerrards case the benefit may be counteracted by another year on the clock but maybe not. Lovren I feel will make a significant impact.

Rodgers has demonstrated that he is capable of managing a top 4 team and I think having him as manager is advantageous, I have no worries about him buckling under pressure or anything along those lines.

I do expect a forward to be signed, Sturridge backed up by Lambert & Borini isn't adequate and the clock is ticking. Eto'o is a strange one, can't see him being happy to bench warm for Sturridge and also I can't see them both being facilitated in the team. Expensive option although if played regularly up front he's a goal every two games imo, won't offer much by way of pressing closing down though.

Anyway, I think Liverpool will again surprise most with a decent title challenge and I would have them at 5/1 rather than 10/1 to win it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Did you drop an r and a few o's by any chance?

brevity wrote: »
    Did you drop an r and a few o's by any chance?

Hello :)
    Nope, I'm a reader of this thread for years so know who you are referring to, I never posted here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Augeo wrote: »
    Hello :)
    Nope, I'm a reader of this thread for years so know who you are referring to, I never posted here before.
    Are u some sort of relation to him?

MD1990 wrote: »

He's the Jonathan Woss version :eek::eek:

MD1990 wrote: »

Not at all :pac:

Ye's have never seen the likes of me :D

Looks like we're going to miss out on another potential signing.

Moses on the verge of signing for Stoke.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Looks like we're going to miss out on another potential signing.

Moses on the verge of signing for Stoke.:)

That's bad news if we want to offload Assaidi there

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Blimey, Lovren had an awfully tough upbringing. I have great hopes for him in a Liverpool shirt, really hope he can be the backbone of our defence for years to come. If himself and Sakho work out we could be sorted for a while.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-dejan-lovren-long-7624448

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Any sign if a match thread yet? I have some interesting insight on the match.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91748653#post91748653

Go mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just reading Rodgers words in the Guardian etc, looks like he is happy to keep his options open right to the deadline if that's what it takes. He also says he happy with the squad as it stands though!
    The money is there - and we will look to improve at the top end of the field until the very end of the window.

“It’s not easy to get a top level striker, no. But we have to keep looking. We certainly need something, because we haven’t brought in another striker so far, apart from Rickie Lambert.

“You just never know what will happen in that last week - the window will always throw up something. We will persevere, and the boys are working hard behind the scenes to see what information we can get on the availability of players.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think there will be a striker merry go round once Real go for Falcao.

• Advertisement

I think there will be a striker merry go round once Real go for Falcao.

Jese wouldn't be an unrealistic target, not sure when he's back from injury though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I don't want Bony, Eto OR anyone else along these lines. Bony will not fit into our team, hes far too imbobile, Eto wont close down for our team which we seriously rely on for pressure from the front. I'd rather a Borini who will work his balls off and score 1 in 2 or 3 games than any overpriced shoehorned signing. If (and a big IF) we sign goal scoring mobile midfielders (aka REUS) who manage to get into goal scoring positions, which they should under Rodgers system, than I'd rather that than a mercenery stop gap striker signing any day

Texeira gone to Sami at Brighton. Should be a good loan for him.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168922-teixeira-makes-brighton-loan-switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

What do people think of the Michael Owen interview. I have to be honest it certainly changed my mind about him especially the move to Real. The move to Utd was obviously a mind**** but I didnt know that at almost every stage he tried to come back.

Interesting. I think I may start youtubing his contribution again cos for so long he was persona non grata.

What do people think of the Michael Owen interview. I have to be honest it certainly changed my mind about him especially the move to Real. The move to Utd was obviously a mind**** but I didnt know that at almost every stage he tried to come back.

Interesting. I think I may start youtubing his contribution again cos for so long he was persona non grata.

Haven't seen the interview but read his "autobiography" as it was at a very interesting time at Liverpool. Thought it would give a great insight into Liverpool at the time but after reading it felt his main focus was always more concerned with England and selling a book (which is prob true) than getting a real insight into Liverpool and how things were done at the time..it really annoyed me with the lack of detail relating to his time at Liverpool TBH.

The hate for Owen is a disgrace tbh.

Excellent player for the club and contributed heavily to silverware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rarnes1 wrote: »

Was his choice to join United, was never gonna help his relationship with Liverpool fans.

djPSB wrote: »
    Was his choice to join United, was never gonna help his relationship with Liverpool fans.

Plenty didn't like him before that and who gives a fcuk if he joined them tbh. Shouldn't matter

Saddos booing him

I agree, the man from start to finish was unbelievable. He worked hard and was extremely potent from underage and transtioned to first team without blinking an eyelid. He scored so many great and timely goals. His relationship (and understanding) with Gerrard was second to none. 35 yard assists happened every second week which is insane when you think of the way it would be describe now. It was just the way he focused that book more on England than on times at Liverpool that really put me off him..that and his actions after leaving the club. I always felt he was more concerned with his horses than his time at Liverpool or whatever happened to his career after leaving us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Plenty didn't like him before that and who gives a fcuk if he joined them tbh. Shouldn't matter

Saddos booing him

Of course it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Saddos booing him

I don't boo him but i do change channels when he comes on. It was his decision to run down his contract and leave to join Real Madrid. He could have signed a new contract and the club could have received a fee for him, however nominal.

@Monkeytennis, the player that left Liverpool was far, far superior to the player that tried to come back. While overplaying him during his development was a huge part in his subsequent injury problems, he was well rewarded while at the club.

So basically, Michael Owen, meh...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement