Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Victor moses off to stoke on loan, goodbye sweet prince. Probably blocks assaidis move though, guess we will loan him again.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Goddamn forehead sabotaging us even after leaving. Will probably end up scoring a hattrick at Anfield too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

klose wrote: »
    Victor moses off to stoke on loan, goodbye sweet prince. Probably blocks assaidis move though, guess we will loan him again.?

Assaidi deserves the same chance at Liverpool that Moses got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5live wrote: »
    I don't boo him but i do change channels when he comes on. It was his decision to run down his contract and leave to join Real Madrid. He could have signed a new contract and the club could have received a fee for him, however nominal.

@Monkeytennis, the player that left Liverpool was far, far superior to the player that tried to come back. While overplaying him during his development was a huge part in his subsequent injury problems, he was well rewarded while at the club.

So basically, Michael Owen, meh...

I never change the channel when he's commentating, the man vomits verbal gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Assaidi deserves the same chance at Liverpool that Moses got.

he should have got it last year didn't but we are are at a higher more technical level than he is at
    assadi to stoke
    borini in the same boat
    we ****ed up on some very clever buys....ben foster 6 million goal keeper
    if liverpool are gifted at turning good goal keepers in to **** one celtic are gifted at turn keepers in to profit
    ...maybe forster would have go to much but if we were clever we should have got boruc for a low transfer fee...big game goal keeper and woudl have done the the back up for mignolet...might have thought him how to catch a cross
    it's not going to be the same watching suarez magic but i think as a collective we will be better...i know for a fact i am going ot have a lot of man juice in my pants for the gaols coutinho and sturridge are going to get this year...thye are on the same wave lenght
    ...we should bide our time and get the big striker in jan but let sturridge be the main man up until then
    in rogers we trust.
    maybe we won't get 4th but by jaysus we will be a pleasure to watch next year.
    lorvren will be immense...
    i called sturridge when he signe d for us and i was proven rightag
    agger gone and lucas gone...great servants to the club and will never be forgotten but everyone moves on that is life.
    Johnson...who i always beleived in but gave so much **** to on boards and everyone that would listen....this is HIS year
    he knows how old he is...he knows the **** he has been given (and he has been **** in realtion to how immense he could be)( BIUT THIS IS JOHNSON YEAR
    I CALLED STURRDIGE
    AND I AM CALLING JOHNSON HE IS GOIGN TO RUN AMOK

boardsie please don't abust me for my johson comment until late september if i am proven wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I can see Assaidi proving us all wrong eventually, whether thats at LFC or another team remains to be seen. I seem to remember him getting quite a lot of praise from Roberto Carlos after a Europa League game a few seasons back and he was outstanding that night against Anzhi. He has a lot of talent but what he is lacking to make it I dont know, maybe its his end product or his attitude I dunno but he is a very good player nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I can see Assaidi proving us all wrong eventually, whether thats at LFC or another team remains to be seen. I seem to remember him getting quite a lot of praise from Roberto Carlos after a Europa League game a few seasons back and he was outstanding that night against Anzhi. He has a lot of talent but what he is lacking to make it I dont know, maybe its his end product or his attitude I dunno but he is a very good player nonetheless
    Assaidi will run amok for stoke but he is a wingrer winger....and we had insdie winger speed demons that are technical....he'll never make it with us the same with borini ...which is a bit sad because neither lacks the desire to give it there all which we all fooking love to watch as liverpool supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

just got in from the pub, so are we re-signing Sean Dundee yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

what about a cheeky 20 million (and 1 pound) offer for Walcott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The hate for Owen is a disgrace tbh.

Excellent player for the club and contributed heavily to silverware

Joined United.

That's all she wrote.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    what about a cheeky 20 million (and 1 pound) offer for Walcott?

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I liked Owen but....
    He left
    Could have come back but went to Newcastle
    Joined Utd

There was just something about him that never clicked with fans. Think he suffered because of some unfair comparisons to Fowler who was just so so so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thats true. But many turned on him when he signed for United. You cant blame people for that. Especially when he said things like
    There is no doubt I would have won more honours had I signed for Manchester United as a youngster. I am pretty confident I would have been at the height of my powers over a longer period of time too.

Michael Owen always took care of number one. While thats perfectly fine, it doesn't endear you to the fans. Its should be no surprise that he will rarely be remembered fondly by the majority of fans due to him forcing a move out of LFC and then in his later years joining United.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

will be interesting watching Bony this afternoon - he will prob be the one man up front for Swansea at Old Trafford. Wonder whats the odds on a JonJo winner with him getting sent off.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Robbie Fowler was always Liverpools Robbie Fowler.
    Jamie Carragher was always Liverpools Jamie Carragher.
    Michael Owen was always Englands Michael Owen.

He never felt like a true Liverpool player imo, it always came across as we were 2nd in his footballing priorities. Great player in his day but I never felt a connection with him like other players.

I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'd like to see Owen come out of reitrement, or maybe get into coaching/management. Anything really to get him away from commentating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Robbie Fowler was always Liverpools Robbie Fowler.
    Jamie Carragher was always Liverpools Jamie Carragher.
    Michael Owen was always Englands Michael Owen.

He never felt like a true Liverpool player imo, it always came across as we were 2nd in his footballing priorities. Great player in his day but I never felt a connection with him like other players.

I wish him well.

Interesting!

What about Torres, he loved the club but now all he does it gets mocked. Suarez on the other hand wanted away every window and he's loved.

Strange lot you pool supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Could be a long 2 weeks with these kinda comments.

#LFC have not given up hope of possibly taking Radamel Falcao before the window closes. [Dominic King]

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Interesting!

What about Torres, he loved the club but now all he does it gets mocked. Suarez on the other hand wanted away every window and he's loved.

Strange lot you pool supporters.

It's different with foreign players, you might have a love/affinity with them, but you know it's fleeting. There are exceptions of course.

We are not strange, just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Michael Owen always took care of number one. While thats perfectly fine, it doesn't endear you to the fans. Its should be no surprise that he will rarely be remembered fondly by the majority of fans due to him forcing a move out of LFC and then in his later years joining United.[/quote]

I always thought owen wasnt missed or brought back because of his gambling and dressing room behaviour

Owen looked after number 1? Shock horror.

So do most footballers these days.

All I know is he was a huge part in one of the satisfying seasons I've ever had as a Liverpool fan. That FA cup win over Arsenal was fantastic., bloody hilarious too after being battered most of the game!

I don't hold a grudge about him joining Utd. Could you blame him at that time of his career? Vast majority of players would have jumped at the chance.

All I know is he was a huge part in one of the satisfying seasons I've ever had as a Liverpool fan. That FA cup win over Arsenal was fantastic., bloody hilarious too after being battered most of the game!

I don't hold a grudge about him joining Utd. Could you blame him at that time of his career? Vast majority of players would have jumped at the chance.

There is no getting away from how good he was for the club and tbh I don't hold a grudge. My point was I never felt about him like I did with other players who played for the club.

Regarding the Arsenal game, we got battered on the pitch but myself and others (arsenal fans as well) got battered before the game by Cardiff fans outside a pub. Great day all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Owen? Seriously?

Stuff that is actually happening now - an LFC U18s panel are in the http://www.psvjeugd.nl/ottencup/en/ they beat AZ Alkmaar 1-0 (I said Utrect yesterday) yesterday and play Real Madrid and Heerenveen today.

match report through bing.
    Liverpool started off strong in the competition. AZ was pushed back on own half and Liverpool was dangerous with some crosses. AZ lurked on the counter, but failed to exploit the space. As the first half wore on, the teams were more balanced. Yet it was Liverpool that a lead. Canos put well and relished the ball off to AZ-Defender. He came face to face with keeper Bucken and completed controlled af. Canos was close again after a stunning attack, but this time his shot ended up just off the target.

At the beginning of the second half rippled up and down the game. There were opportunities for both teams, but among other things Sigurdarson, Tabua and Ojo knew not to score. Storm threw a spanner in the works here, the match was temporarily discontinued. After the resumption was the pit determined not from the game disappeared. However, now led to opportunities, but to a number of offences with a yellow card as a result. AZ went looking for the equalizer, but great opportunities remained out. So ended the third game of the tournament in 0-1, this time for Liverpool.

Follow the games live here http://www.psvjeugd.nl/ottencup/en/live

The rest of the U18s play Stoke in the development league today or tomorrow, so it'll be pretty weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I certainly don't blame him for joining United at the time he did.

He hasn't always endeared himself to Liverpool with his comments but then I don't have any issue with that. I'd rather commentators and pundits said what they thought rather than pandering to fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I don't hate Owen whatsoever but he will never be idolised given the path his career took

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Played for Liverpool Madrid and United and neither sets of fans really give a toss about Owen. What could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Anyone wrote: »
    I'd like to see Owen come out of reitrement, or maybe get into coaching/management. Anything really to get him away from commentating.

If I was washed up on Inis Ere with just Michael Owen and a tin of tuna, I'd talk to the tuna and eat Michael Owen. There's something horrifyingly humdrum about whatever he says and he wraps it up in that lovely Chester accent which makes you think of slippers and moth-balls and cheese sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Sitting here with a sausage sandwich watching Soccer AM, welcome back premiership, I missed you. :)

Missus is threatening to make me go out for the day though, I must stay strong.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I don't hate Owen whatsoever but he will never be idolised given the path his career took

Does anyone hold footballers as idols anyway?

They do a job for your club and then (most of them) move on somewhere else. Sure look at Suarez, probably one of the best to play for the club. Tried to force his way out. Torres said he wouldn't play for another prem club.

Once they give it 100% while at the club, it's probably the most you can ask for these days.

Sitting here with a sausage sandwich watching Soccer AM, welcome back premiership, I missed you. :)

Missus is threatening to make me go out for the day though, I must stay strong.

Stay strong and keep her out

656359c045ce6b90e175cab1a86919fa6c12c37.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Does anyone hold footballers as idols anyway?

They do a job for your club and then (most of them) move on somewhere else. Sure look at Suarez, probably one of the best to play for the club. Tried to force his way out. Torres said he wouldn't play for another prem club.

Once they give it 100% while at the club, it's probably the most you can ask for these days.

Idol is prob a bit strong a word for grown men to use about footballers but what i mean is as a liverpool fan i would have interest in what players like rush, fowler, barnes and even the likes of kuyt and garcia were up to and feel like they are one of our own but with Owen it is just nothing, no hatred just nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Roll on tomorrow. Have that start of season buzz starting, and as good as it will be to watch some footy today, tomorrow is when it starts for all of us.

Idol is prob a bit strong a word for grown men to use about footballers but what i mean is as a liverpool fan i would have interest in what players like rush, fowler, barnes and even the likes of kuyt and garcia were up to and feel like they are one of our own but with Owen it is just nothing, no hatred just nothing

Can't really disagree with any of that tbh.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Roll on tomorrow. Have that start of season buzz starting, and as good as it will be to watch some footy today, tomorrow is when it starts for all of us.

Enjoy the game!

Was really hoping to get a ticket for this but it sold it so quick. Got 3 games before Jan so happy enough with that.

3 points is so big tomorrow considering the two games that follow it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

All giddy myself as well.
    Have the traditional fry-up ready to go for tomorrow, as they never lose when I'm blocking up my heart valves with blood pudding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Look at Dirk as a comparison. Someone who didn't even come up through the ranks at Liverpool yet still apparently told Van Gaal he had no interest in joining him at Utd.

Players looking after no. 1 is fine, and most can do so while maintaining a bit of class. Something Owen always seemed to lack tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Otten Cup

Line up Liverpool: Fulton, Brannagan, Cleary, Hart, Maguire, Ojo, Phillips, O' Hanlon, Rossiter, Wilson, Roberts

Line up Heerenveen: Bekkema, St. Juste, Oosterlen, Gartenmann, Schoop, Ymele Feudjio, Kada, Leilis, Gudmundsson, Agbaljan, Deckers

edit 12:34 (EST) Goal Liverpool!! Wilson is one on one with the goalie and scores

HT Liverpool lead 1-0, the games are just 60 minutes.

13:13 Substitution Liverpool: Sinclair replaces Ojo

13:12 Goal Liverpool!! Ojo sets up the play and his teammate crosses to Brannagan heading the ball into the net from close range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Was looking forward to this weekend for a long time...off to a game today and then watching the game tomorrow. The family are in shock but they will get over it :)
    Son is only 6 years old but in time I will mold him and bring him over to my side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I know that feeling.

Today is Europa League day, tomorrow is Champions League day:)

Enjoy the game!

Was really hoping to get a ticket for this but it sold it so quick. Got 3 games before Jan so happy enough with that.

3 points is so big tomorrow considering the two games that follow it

Cheers. I am always like a kid on Xmas eve when the new season is about to begin. Come tomorrow all the hopes, dreams, disappointments, elations, and what not all start to come into sharp focus again for Liverpool supporters.

People will again be twitching, shouting, jumping, moaning, and gloating over what they are seeing play out in front of them, and no matter whether one is sitting in Anfield, sitting in front of a tv in a pub or at home, or even sitting in front of a radio, there will be a very palpable sense of excitement being shared by all who support the club.

Footy is baaaaaaaack :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Kess, just while you're about. Whats the situation re: gifs + youtube clips etc. of games/ incidents . Not allowed at all anymore?

Or not allowed during the game ?

Edit: I guess not allowed at all.

Guardian article about PremierLeague killjoys
    "It's a breach of copyright and we would discourage fans from doing it, we're developing technologies like gif crawlers, Vine crawlers, working with Twitter to look to curtail this kind of activity. I know it sounds as if we're killjoys but we have to protect our intellectual property."

:(:mad:

Maybe the copyright policy thread should be updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

When will Moreno be unveiled? OR has he been already?
    Just seems strange to show pictures of him training if we haven't officially announced he's our player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Thought it would give a great insight into Liverpool at the time but after reading it felt his main focus was always more concerned with England and selling a book (which is prob true) than getting a real insight into Liverpool and how things were done at the time..it really annoyed me with the lack of detail relating to his time at Liverpool TBH.
    Owen was spoilt at Liverpool - what Michael wanted, Michael got.

For him to say he played too much when he was young and Liverpool mismanaged him is true to a degree. In the 1997-98 season he was demanding regular first team football because he wanted to go to the World Cup at the end of the season. Michael Owen believed he was the man destined to become England's all-time highest goal scorer.

He could have had a long and successful career but repeatedly chose wrong options that ultimately affected his career - the club wanted him to go to the U.S. to sort out the issues with his hamstrings but he wasn't keen. Eventually Houllier got him to see a specialist in Germany.

He couldn't negotiate a new contract with Liverpool for two years supposedly because his agent was on a sabbatical, during which time he was able to secure endorsement contracts and also tout the player to clubs in Spain. Houllier and Parry never wanted to force the issue of the contract extension.

Things came apart for him at Liverpool when Benitez became manager. Owen's services had previously been offered to Valencia and Benitez also knew about an agreement for him to join Real Madrid on a Bosman at the end of his contract.

The reason Owen joined Newcastle from Madrid was because Benitez wouldn't guarantee him a first team place and there was a World Cup coming up in 2006 - given his appearance record for Newcastle, the club dodged a bullet there.

I don't dislike him, as a player he was a great for Liverpool and gave us his best years. I think if people at the club had been firmer in their approach to handling him instead of the lazy "we're lucky to have him" malaise under David Moores's stewardship things would have been a lot different for him.

The question Michael Owen needs to ask himself is who made the decisions that affected his career because ultimately that person was responsible for all of the ills that befell him.

Kess, just while you're about. Whats the situation re: gifs + youtube clips etc. of games/ incidents . Not allowed at all anymore?

Maybe the copyright policy thread should be updates?

First time seeing this tbh.

Might be worth putting it in a sticky or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Owen's primary focus was always England, he's similar to Keegan in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

When I think Michael Owen I think FA cup final.

Very little as a Liverpool fan has surpassed those few minutes

I love seeing gifs and Vine vids myself as it can really add to a discussion over a goal or incident, but we do to have to comply with whatever guidelines are given to us on it from here in.

Youtube is fine at present, but gifs of ingame incidents and goals are going to be a no no unless we get told otherwise. Same is going to apply to Vine as it has come under the spotlight of EPL legal eagles.

I earlier added a mod note to the OPs of the match threads that are currently up to remind folks of the copyright side of things, and whilst I can understand folks not being happy with it, it is something that Boards really does not have any say in. If those that own the copyrights say that they not want their property shown, then Boards has no choice but to comply.

Will be much easier for everyone that uses the forum, posters and mods alike, if we can all get onboard with it asap because none of the mods want to have to go down the card route to enforce this if we can help it, but at the same time we do have to try to get everyone onboard as it is something that could come back to bite the forum and individuals if left unchecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Unrelated to this thread but just watching soccer Saturday the love in for LVG is absolutely sickening. He's been portrayed as the second coming of Jesus. Pity the media weren't so nice to our own rafa during his time here...

comewatmay wrote: »
    Unrelated to this thread but just watching soccer Saturday the love in for LVG is absolutely sickening. He's been portrayed as the second coming of Jesus. Pity the media weren't so nice to our own rafa during his time here...

You have to build them up to knock them down.

That's how the English media works

• Advertisement

First time seeing this tbh.

Might be worth putting it in a sticky or something?

I have mentioned it by way of a mod edit to the OP in the match threads that are currently up, and my co mods and I will add a message to any other match threads that get started today.

Same thing will be done tomorrow and Monday.

We really don't want to "catch" people out on this, but it falls under the copyright rule that is already part of the charter. We will be doing our best to enforce it without cards for as long as we can, but repeat offenders will get carded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement