Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Even Falcao on loan would be an incredible coup, however unlikely it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Line up prediction

4-4-2 diamond

Mignolet

Johnson Lovern Sakho Manquilio
    Gerrard

Henderson Can

Coutinho

Sturiddge Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Line up prediction

4-4-2 diamond

Mignolet

Johnson Lovern Sakho Manquilio
    Gerrard

Henderson Can

Coutinho

Sturiddge Sterling

No Reus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Back by popular demand (and you're gettin' it whether you like it or not anyway)

j-arthur-rank-gong.jpg

LOAN WATCH

Divock. Origi - Lille full game and goal in 0-1 win
    João Carlos Teixeira - Brighton & Hove Albion last 25 mins in 0-1 defeat
    Brad Smith - injured
    Andre Wisdom - WBA full game 2-2

and that's it. Three loanees leagues have yet to start. You can sure several players will be off in the next 2 weeks.

eh yeah
    Going to be a tough season for Teixeira, at least he'll get chances though, Brighton look like they'll struggle this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

BBC Gossip column suggests we are still in for a top quality player (Cavani, Song, Falcao all being mentioned). At least no one can say we're not trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

BBC Gossip column suggests we are still in for a top quality player (Cavani, Song, Falcao all being mentioned). At least no one can say we're not trying.

Oh yes they will, Francie.

Without a shadow of a doubt they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I have a feeling there will be some big moves in the transfer market before the window shuts. Hopefully we benefit from one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Finally, match day!

Commence operation Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bob Paisley: How Liverpool's reluctant hero began a revolution.
    Ferguson won 1.46 trophies per season in 26 seasons at United, Paisley achieved 2.22 per season.

From the BBC a great read for a Sunday at the start of the season.
    When Liverpool begin their Premier League campaign against Southampton on Sunday, manager Brendan Rodgers will be attempting to build on last season's second-placed finish.
    But whatever Rodgers achieves at Anfield, he is unlikely to surpass the feats of Bob Paisley, who took charge of Liverpool in the league for the first time exactly 40 years ago, with a 2-1 win at Luton on 17 August 1974.
    In his nine seasons in charge, Paisley won six league titles, three European Cups, three League Cups, a Uefa Cup, Super Cup and three Charity Shields. He was also manager of the year on six occasions - an honour won by Rodgers for the first time last season.
    Paisley's 45 years as a player, physiotherapist, coach, assistant manager, manager and director is a unique example of loyalty to one club. Here, we look back at the career of one of the great managers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28772320

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ah crap gerrard and lucas in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

klose wrote: »
    Ah crap gerrard and lucas in midfield

Why not Can? Jesus that's the reason we bought him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Vicxas wrote: »
    Why not Can? Jesus that's the reason we bought him.

Maybe BR is trying to sell Lucas and getting him out there for potential clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Does this really happen?

I'm sure any clubs who want to buy Lucas have seen him play plenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Lucas in the shop window. BR showing he has faith in him, while trying to sell him at same time.

Why would Rodgers select a "weakened" team for a league game to help sell a player.

• Advertisement

Does this really happen?

I'm sure any clubs who want to buy Lucas have seen him play plenty

I recon so...if he is shown as being an important part of the team then it might work. Clubs are hardly going to go after Gerrard, Hendo and Can now are they?

Also with the season starting and the transfer window clock ticking down you never know what sort of panic buys some clubs will go for.

If Lucas does well then I will be delighted for him but we have been down this road before and he is not consistent enough. I think Can was brought in because of Lucas, he's stronger than Lucas and doesn't give the ball away as often. Maybe he is not fully fit and that's why BR has gone with Lucas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ottencup

Liverpool lost 4-1 yesterday but were already through to the semi-final against Anderlecht this morning. That game ended 1-1 (Cleary) also missed a peno (Ojo), Liverpool won the shootout 5-3 and play Red Bull Brasil at 2pm our time.

The Final!

Line-up Red Bull Brasil: Raimundos de Souza, Leite da Silva, Dos Santos Paixao, Texeira do Nascimento, Correia de Abreu, Machado de Andrade, Hideki Soares Sakamoto, Viana de Matos, Carlos Gervasio, Silva de Barros Luiz and Honorato de Araujo

Line Up Liverpool: Fulton, Brannagan, Brewitt, Canos, Cleary, Hart, Kent, Maguire, O' Hanlon, Rossiter and Wilson

15:19 Goal Red Bull Brasil!! Carlos Gervasio takes advantage from a miscommunication in the Liverpool defense

15:28 Goal RB Brasil!! Viana de Matos scores with a beautiful curved shot into the top corner from just outside the box. RB Brasil leads 2-0 in this final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ush wrote: »
    Lucas in the shop window. BR showing he has faith in him, while trying to sell him at same time.

Do people really believe that happens?

Priority is to win the game and a manager would never risk the three points to sell a player.

If he's in the team then he's there on merit in the manager's eyes.

If Lucas does well then I will be delighted for him but we have been down this road before and he is not consistent enough. I think Can was brought in because of Lucas, he's stronger than Lucas and doesn't give the ball away as often. Maybe he is not fully fit and that's why BR has gone with Lucas?

Lucas was a heck of a lot better than Can against Dortmund. Can is young, he needs time to adapt.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    Lucas was a heck of a lot better than Can against Dortmund. Can is young, he needs time to adapt.

I really don't follow all this love for pre-season performance with this and that player playing well. It's not competitive enough for me and it just all about fitness and getting back to the end of last season's level of performance. It's not worth much in the end I think. All that matters is today and from now on :)

No way BR would risk 3 points to sell a player. Just because we have Lucas and Johno does not mean we will lose 10-0. But maybe BR would be happy if someone came along to buy Lucas and Johno. Or maybe they will be happy to sit on the bench and be rotated (Lucas / Allen / Can...). Who knows? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Disappointing Can not starting today. Anyway enjoy the season ahead folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bit of an indictment that we start our league campaign with Johnson in the team today.

But anyhow,

wgwtl
    wgwtl
    anygbu
    anygbu
    anygbu
    wgwtl!!!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people really believe that happens?

Priority is to win the game and a manager would never risk the three points to sell a player.

If he's in the team then he's there on merit in the manager's eyes.

Risk? Is Lucas that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

It's been bugging me for ages, Mignolet has reminded me of someone, but I could never place who....until today. He is the spit of Mike Patton, Faith No More lead singer and all round good guy.

Kingdom wrote: »
    It's been bugging me for ages, Mignolet has reminded me of someone, but I could never place who....until today. He is the spit of Mike Patton, Faith No More lead singer and all round good guy.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Really not sold on Mignolet at all. It's always a scare for me when he's on the ball. We should be trying to sign Victor Valdes, he's experienced, good with the ball at his feet, and available for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

martyos121 wrote: »
    Really not sold on Mignolet at all. It's always a scare for me when he's on the ball. We should be trying to sign Victor Valdes, he's experienced, good with the ball at his feet, and available for free.

He's also injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

**** you Liverpool I just gonna **** off and support chelsea

I've been Lucas's biggest fan and supporter but he time is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Thank god for Shane Long and his amazing finishing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hopefully we never see that awful 4231 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not convincing at all but 3 points at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Johnson out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Aye Johnson was shocking again. Sooner Moreno is in the team the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very poor today. Lucky to get the 3 points in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'll take it, got away with it today but it's 3 good points.

Allen was superb and offered so much more when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Happy with that result. A win is a win.

Arsenal struggled yesterday, United lost, it's early season, nobody is near their peak. Take the points and move on.

Good start to the day. Come on Newcastle!

We were lucky in the end. Our midfield needs some more work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Huge difference when Allen came in for Lucas.

Lucas, Gerrard and Cou, should not be played together. 2 Slow Midfileders and 1 Frail, means we'll always be 2nd-Best in Midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Blessed today. Delighted to start with a win.

Need for a top quality striker more apparent than ever. Get it done!

Right this game merely confirmed what we already knew

Johnson is muck 9 game in 10
    Lucas/Gerrard is, no matter what the formation an absolute nailed on no no.
    Hendo is wasted when shoved wide

Liverpool are at their best when keeping it essentially narrow with players only going wide as and when -

Manquillo-Skrtel-Lovren--Moreno
    Gerrard
    Hendo---Can
    Sterling---Coutinho
    Sturridge

should be the default setting unless we're going two up top.

Ottencup

Liverpool lost 4-1 yesterday but were already through to the semi-final against Anderlecht this morning. That game ended 1-1 (Cleary) also missed a peno (Ojo), Liverpool won the shootout 5-3 and play Red Bull Brasil at 2pm our time.

The Final!

Line-up Red Bull Brasil: Raimundos de Souza, Leite da Silva, Dos Santos Paixao, Texeira do Nascimento, Correia de Abreu, Machado de Andrade, Hideki Soares Sakamoto, Viana de Matos, Carlos Gervasio, Silva de Barros Luiz and Honorato de Araujo

Line Up Liverpool: Fulton, Brannagan, Brewitt, Canos, Cleary, Hart, Kent, Maguire, O' Hanlon, Rossiter and Wilson

15:19 Goal Red Bull Brasil!! Carlos Gervasio takes advantage from a miscommunication in the Liverpool defense

15:28 Goal RB Brasil!! Viana de Matos scores with a beautiful curved shot into the top corner from just outside the box. RB Brasil leads 2-0 in this final

Liverpool beaten 2-0 and down to 10 men.

Huge difference when Allen came in for Lucas.

Lucas, Gerrard and Cou, should not be played together. 2 Slow Midfileders and 1 Frail, means we'll always be 2nd-Best in Midfield.

Come on Cou is hardly slow! :)

He did well despite being pretty much marked out of the game. He needs someone to give him more support.

Gerrard was too deep. I know he is great with the passes here and there but I would love to see him coming on in games rather than starting them. He's doesn't have the legs.

Lucas shouldn't be in this team.

Southampton really closed down Coutinho today. Koeman was at the Dortmund game and saw what can happen when you give Coutinho time and space. Every time he got the ball today Schneiderlin and Wanyama were on him in an instant.

• Advertisement

We have beaten a bit of a bogey team I will take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hopefully the new signings can offer some decent competition to the CM positions, Allen and Lucas need a good kick in the arse.

Johnson has been fairly annoying now for quite some time but him pulling out of that tackle has to be the last straw.

Well deserved Motm for sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I'll get to critiquing the performance later on but for now.....

poppin1.gif

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Hopefully the new signings can offer some decent competition to the CM positions, Allen and Lucas need a good kick in the arse.

Johnson has been fairly annoying now for quite some time but him pulling out of that tackle has to be the last straw.

Well deserved Motm for sterling.

Allen played well I think. He wasn't so bad last year either. He's good to play off the bench and for lower teams I think.

Charlie19 wrote: »

Completely pulled out of that tackle against Fonte.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement