Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Disappointed by our lack of pressing today. And the intensity of our pressing. We let Southampton have far too much time and space on the ball. You do that against anyone and they will eventually create goal scoring chances against you.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Missed the match. Is it worth watching online or will I wait for MOTD 2 tonight ?

No, we were abysmal for most of the match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

daithijjj wrote: »
    The problem today was the following, it wasnt anyone else. Nobody knows what these two players are going to do and it interupts everything else imo.

Squawka Football @Squawka · 24m
    Glen Johnson and Lucas Leiva didn't win a single tackle between them for Liverpool against Southampton today. #LFC

That's definitely not true because I recall Lucas making an excellent sliding challenge on the corner of our box in the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Would ruin the whole balance of our team. Our best performances have been about Suarez, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson running their socks off and winning possession high up the pitch

Again, I'm coming from an angle where's he coming from the bench and not starting. When we need a result and the balance isn't working.

But I am biased as I'm of the opinion that Stevie was at his best in the advanced role under Rafa. I still believe he can do that role without upsetting the fluidity if used sparingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Missed the match. Is it worth watching online or will I wait for MOTD 2 tonight ?

Leave it to MOTD, unless you enjoy tearing your hair out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Super-Rush wrote: »
    But he cannot defend. If he is still going to be picked then Lucas needs to play and i think Rodgers has realised that.

Our best midfield display last season was with Lucas, Allen and Henderson against Spurs.

Nah, Arsenal and Everton were better. There's a tendency to over play how good that midfield was without Gerrard. It was good but we had a few better performances when Rodgers changed things. Unless we are playing a pure DM Lucas doesn't offer enough for the style we play. Sad to say it but he has gone from first name on the team sheet to last pick in CM.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Didn't see the game as it clashed with the Limerick minors... Consensus seems to be that it was s poor display.. no different to this time last year if so. No surprise that Johnson is getting slack, he needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

In his current role he's trying to cover the whole defence and support the attack, that requires a lot of legs underneath in theory. An advanced role, where he doesn't have to worry about defensive duties and where he's used sparingly would require a lot less endurance while still reaping the benefits of his talent.

Are you serious?

Just because he's a Legend, doesn't give Gerrard the Excuse to jog back when we are on the Backfoot. He is still required to Sprint back and help in Defense.

Besides, if we play Gerrard further Forward, who are you going to Drop? Cou? Hendo?

If Gerrard can't be Dropped, then just play him now where he is normally is, in the DM Position. Just make sure to surround him with 2 Athletic Box-to-Box Midfielder to help him (2 of Can/Allen/Hendo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Don't bother. Wait for the highlights.

Henderson and Sterling both played well, and Lovren had a decent debut. Everyone else was decidedly poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169078-rodgers-suarez-sent-message-of-support

When asked how he felt Liverpool would fare without Suarez this season, the boss said: "Our ambitions here at Liverpool, they have to be bigger than one player - I've said that repeatedly. Big clubs will lose players. Our ambition is bigger than Luis.

"He sent us a lovely text this morning wishing us all the best and that [he hopes] we start strong. It was a great gesture.

"He's a friend of Liverpool now. But we look forward. We're bigger than any one single player.

"I do still think we want another striker. It's something we'll look at, but it'll depend on the availability of one. We'll search for that through until the end of the window.

"But you see the players and the quality we have. The fluency will come and today was about the win - and we got the win."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Super-Rush wrote: »
    But he cannot defend. If he is still going to be picked then Lucas needs to play and i think Rodgers has realised that.

Our best midfield display last season was with Lucas, Allen and Henderson against Spurs.

I very much doubt that. We played Allen a lot at the end of last season and clearly Hendo is first choice. Then we signed Lallana and Can.

In 90% of games we should be dominating the ball. It's much more important what we do with the ball than what we do without it, so long as we can effectively press (which is something Lucas can't do at all).

We don't need to solve the midfield problem completely. It just needs to be sufficiently improved or mitigated - signing Lovren, 2 new full backs, having better cover and options off the bench should help a lot, even if playing Gerrard creates a fundamental defensive weakness in the side.

If you took Gerrad out of the side last season I don't see where his goals and assists were going to come from.
    Lucas offers nothing that our other midfielders can't provide and they all have other things in their locker as well.

Are you serious?

Just because he's a Legend, doesn't give Gerrard the Excuse to jog back when we are on the Backfoot. He is still required to Sprint back and help in Defense.

Besides, if we play Gerrard further Forward, who are you going to Drop? Cou? Hendo?

If Gerrard can't be Dropped, then just play him now where he is normally is, in the DM Position. Just make sure to surround him with 2 Athletic Box-to-Box Midfielder to help him (2 of Can/Allen/Hendo).

You're not reading what I'm saying. I don't want Cou or Hendo benched, I want Gerrard benched. Fresh to play the role he's excelled most at when the likes of Cou isn't performing ie today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Kirby wrote: »
    Don't bother. Wait for the highlights.

Henderson and Sterling both played well, and Lovren had a decent debut. Everyone else was decidedly poor.

Eh hello
    skrtel2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

darced wrote: »

I agree that he can't play with Gerrard because neither have any legs. I've said that for years. I have a dozen posts saying that before it was commonly said and while it was in vogue to claim Lucas was the bestest player everest.

Lucas had a poor game though and Gerrard played okay. A bit defensively suspect but he passed it well and Lucas did not. Lucas has to be the one to make way. Can is the one to replace him assuming he's fit. Allen if he's not.

• Advertisement

10580228_10202267904077400_646318612222989520_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

None of the top 7 (Chelsea obviously haven't played yet) have been particularly impressive this weekend

Think we will see a different Liverpool next weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Now if ye would all excuse me, I am going over to read the United thread with a few beers and some doritos. (Chilli Heatwave flavour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fair to say no team so far has been impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Man city next...how will we line up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Eh hello
    skrtel2.jpg

Have to agree. It think everyone apart from Lucas and Johnson had quite a good game.

Defence as a whole seemed sharper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bowlardo wrote: »

Hopefully Moreno and Allen in for Johnson and Lucas

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have to agree. It think everyone apart from Lucas and Johnson had quite a good game.

I'd like to see Clynes goal again because Lucas and Johnson are taking all the flack(rightly so) but I'd like to see the position Loveren was in as I can recall it was Skrtel that was making the last gasp tackle.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Clynes goal again because Lucas and Johnson are taking all the flack(rightly so) but I'd like to see the position Loveren was in as I can recall it was Skrtel that was making the last gasp tackle.

I think Lovren was trying to hold back ward prouse as he was a massive threat all match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would like to see a 4-4-2 diamond against City next week with a high press. Can't let City get in the final third often & play combinations. I would go for.

______________Mignolet________________
    Manquillo____Skrtel____Lovren____Moreno
    ______________Gerrard_________________
    _____Henderson________Can___________
    _____________Coutinho______________
    ______Sturridge________Sterling_______

I think Lovren was trying to hold back ward prouse as he was a massive threat all match.

Just watched it back there, couldn't really fault Loveren as he was taken out of it with the clever flick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was annoyed and surprised to see Lucas start. It makes zero sense to me when you have Gerrard as the DM with the way we set up.

Game was crying out for Allen from the off, I felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You must be kidding about the defence?

Bowlardo wrote: »

Allen to start for me for definate.

Lucas was ok first half but poor second half

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would like to see a 4-4-2 diamond against City next week with a high press. Can't let City get in the final third often & play combinations. I would go for.

______________Mignolet________________
    Manquillo____Skrtel____Lovren____Moreno
    ______________Gerrard_________________
    _____Henderson________Can___________
    _____________Coutinho______________
    ______Sturridge________Sterling_______

One of the biggest questions from today is why Can didn't start given he started most pre-season games. Even worse, he brings on Allen over him today. :confused:

Pretty sure he was marking his man,would need to see it again though.

Lovern was asleep for the goal, his man walked to receive the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

One of the biggest questions from today is why Can didn't start given he started most pre-season games. Even worse, he brings on Allen over him today. :confused:
    Can can get caught out of positon at times. He is only 20 & played LB alot last year. I think he would do well on the left of a midfield 4. Allen played well today & done well last season too.

You must be kidding about the defence?

Not really. All of them with the exception of Johnson were quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm hoping that the addition of Moreno and Can will give us a bit more intensity, possibly Markovic too.

Lucas and Johnson have been singled out by most as our weak link, they're also our most replaceable now, so no need to be too worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Lovern was asleep for the goal, his man walked to receive the pass.

His man back heeled the ball behind him into the path of Clyne I thought. Not sure how much blame you would attribute to him. Lucas/Sterling/Johnson could have tracked Clyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Not a great performance but the 3 points is what counts. Sometimes you have to win ugly.

Was shocked to see Gerrard and Lucas start together, thought Allen would of gotten the nod.

Looking forward to when we have Lallana, Markovic, Moreno and who ever else we sign are available.

Fescue wrote: »
    His man back heeled the ball behind him into the path of Clyne I thought. Not sure how much blame you would attribute to him. Lucas/Sterling/Johnson could have tracked Clyne.

Watch it again, his man should never have the freedom to have a simple pass in the first place.

Skrtel is some man to panic, that rebound Long missed should have been his ball to clear.

Maybe its just me and I've a hangover from last season but I couldnt be happy with that defensive display.

Henderson and Sterling were the heros for me today and of course Mig for a superb save at the death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can't understand for the life of me why Lucas started today. Awful stuff, particularly in the second half. Johnson was piss poor as well. Hopefully we don't get to see too much of him this season now that we have more options at full back.

Already you can see we're missing Suarez. I thought we were quite clueless and desperate at times going forward.

Im looking at it on vine there and he was done by an outrageous bit of skill in fairness,Lucas and Johnson sleeping,Skrtel could have been quicker to cover but its a decent goal imo.

Watch it from when the throw in was taken, its wasn't just him in fairness. I think they were all asleep to the quickish throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Can has alot of potential and played decent in preseason but no chance I would of been staring him today or even bringing him in ahead of Allen.

Think it will take him abit of time to get used to the league, thankfully he shouldn't have any problem with the physical side of things.

I do think he will turn into a very good player for us in the near future but will be mainly used as a sub in the league for the next few months anyway.

The starting team wouldnt have been a surprise if it was for the city game. I think most of us expected Can or Allen today. We got away with it though.

Credit to Lambert as well, kept the attack going for the goal. That move would have died before he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I keep saying it our defence is made to look far worse than it is. They have zero protection in midfield the worst teams can cut through us with ease, it's not tactics it's the personnel.

If you want to play Gerrard it's essential he has 2 dynamic hard working midfielders ahead of him he just doesn't have the legs to get about the pitch. His range of passing is excellent but lovren seems to be able to do that job now too so I don't know if he is needed anymore.

I've said it before but what would others think of Gerrard as a centre back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I can't believe people are yet again calling for Gerrard to be dropped! Unbelievable.

Did you watch him last season? He got more assists than anyone in the league and made into team of the year! What more do you want?

He's our captain and beyond a sustained run of unacceptable form he's still one of the first names on the teamsheet. On merit.

The main problem in the midfield today was Lucas who should only really be used as Gerrard's deputy I feel. It was pretty obvious from early on that Allen would help us get on the ball and build possession, passing and moving.

The ideal would be to have Coutinho doing this in the centre, but we will have to wait for Lallana/Markovic to come back to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watch it from when the throw in was taken, its wasn't just him in fairness. I think they were all asleep to the quickish throw.

Lucas lost Clyne because he was watching lovren and the ball, he was totally at fault.

He is finished at Liverpool imo he offers very little.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We'll need to improve our game vs City next weekend to get anything from that game I'd say, although we have done well vs City in general the last few years since that horrible 3-0 game under Hodgson when Masch refused to play.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can we vote to impose a ban on "you can see we are missing you know who" after today?

Amnesty until midnight, get it all out and then shut up.

WE ARE MISSING SUAREZ!

WE ARE MISSING SUAREZ!

WE ARE MISSING SUAREZ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

spockety wrote: »
    Can we vote to impose a ban on "you can see we are missing you know who" after today?

Amnesty until midnight, get it all out and then shut up.

WE ARE MISSING SUAREZ!

WE ARE MISSING SUAREZ!

WE ARE MISSING SUAREZ!

Well he wouldnt have been able to play today, but we do need another striker.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I can't believe people are yet again calling for Gerrard to be dropped! Unbelievable.

Did you watch him last season? He got more assists than anyone in the league and made into team of the year! What more do you want?

He's our captain and beyond a sustained run of unacceptable form he's still one of the first names on the teamsheet. On merit.

The main problem in the midfield today was Lucas who should only really be used as Gerrard's deputy I feel. It was pretty obvious from early on that Allen would help us get on the ball and build possession, passing and moving.

The ideal would be to have Coutinho doing this in the centre, but we will have to wait for Lallana/Markovic to come back to do this.

Gerrard is fine imo. He just needs someone better than the current Lucas beside him. They just don't work great together. Allen is better for sure atm.

What's the alternatives? Imo, for that role there's nobody better at the club or near it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement