Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Probaly the best thing rafa left us is beating Arsenal and UTD to the signing of Raheem Sterling 4 years ago. Best academy product since Stevi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1254287/Liverpool-sign-England-starlet-Raheem-Sterling-QPR.html

With add ons we will have spent £5m on him, absolute bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Mickalus wrote: »
    I am very optimistic about Lambert.

What we saw last year was flexibility. I wouldn't rule out Sturridge and Lambert playing together - either as 2 up top or Sturridge out wide.
    I also don't see any need for us to change our style to accommodate Lambert. He can play just fine in our system.

Will be interesting how the team set up tonight. I know you can't read much into it at this stage but it feels like the right time to try out a near full strenght team. I'm sure he'll try Lambert and Sturridge together at some stage tonight to see how thy interact. Won't be anything like S&S I'm sure.

I'd also like to see Markovic played centrally close to Sturridge to see how that goes. Cos if that was a realistic option the need for another striker may not be as urgent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

klose wrote: »
    At the current moment in time uniteds squad is fairly average bar mata/rvp/rooney. 2 full backs, one out of form and an 18 y/o who came in for an astronomical fee, 3 centre halfs, none of which never fully claimed a stake in the team, out of form wingers for ages, ageing midfield. They've a fair bit of shopping yet to do if they are to make a mark this season imo. They'll undoubtedly improve but nothings a given as they say.

the team is not as average as you think.

just like our team was better than most people thought last season. quite often, all it takes is the right manager to ignite something.

even if they go into the season as is, they'll be strong IMO.

the players didn't become average overnight.

mosstin wrote: »
    £15 million for Coleman? What are they smoking over at Anfield?

I konw he's worth more but that's why I'm saying to put in a low bid to start!! He wouldn't be on high wages though so could unsettle him abit with the lure of Champo league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Few people of twitter saying lambert and sturridge will start tonight in a diamond formation. Cou,allen hendo and gerrard behind them.

No reason Sturridge and Lambert can't play together if needs be.

Sturridge could play either side of him in a front 3 or beside him in a front 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Looks like Agger might be gone after all.

Tancredi Palmeri saying Barca agreed personal terms with agger.

To be fair he's been spot on with some transfers so far. He's also saying fellaini is meeting Napoli reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Mickalus wrote: »
    I am very optimistic about Lambert.

What we saw last year was flexibility. I wouldn't rule out Sturridge and Lambert playing together - either as 2 up top or Sturridge out wide.
    I also don't see any need for us to change our style to accommodate Lambert. He can play just fine in our system.

Liverpool - Sturridge & Lambert/Borini
    Man Utd - RVP & Rooney/Welbeck
    Arsenal - Sanchez & Giroud/Walcott/Podolski
    Chelsea - Costa & Torres/Drogba/Schurrle
    Man City - Augero & Dzeko/Negredo

We are definately bottom of the pile up front at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£12m for Agger and replacing him with Lovren for £20m and also saving about £30k a week on wages for a younger better defender is great business.

Completely agree with this. Although our attacking midfielders are probably top of that pile.

• Advertisement

Cjs21 wrote: »

To be fair he's been spot on with some transfers so far. He's also saying fellaini is meeting Napoli reps.

If Agger, Borini and Assaidi all go for the rumorered amounts then we'll soon have a negative net spend. I'd therefore be expecting at least 3 more signings. Hopefully, one or two to really excite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Will be sad to see Agger go as I think he has a genuine attachment to the club. That said I can't remember the last time I was impressed with his defending. He might do better in a slightly less physical league.

Does this mean Illori will stay as 4th choice CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No reason Sturridge and Lambert can't play together if needs be.

Sturridge could play either side of him in a front 3 or beside him in a front 2

Or Lambert could play the deeper lying of the attacking roles as he often did for Southampton, more or less in a second striker role. Can recall him dropping deep quite a bit for the Saints and being very good at it. Was able to link up as part of quick passing moves and also be just as willing to receive the ball with his back to goal in order to allow runners from midfield to join in an attacking move. Pretty good at speading the play with his passing as well.

Can see him proving to be a very useful (and adaptable) squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We have signed lots of good players but no top class players - I'm concerned about that. If you look through the squad I don't think we have a single top class player in there now that Suarez is gone. Teams that win things always have at least one or two stars. It will be interesting to see if anyone will step up a level this season, with Sterling, Sturridge or Coutiniho being the most likely. However, I am disappointed that we haven't signed anyone from that top bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm sure there will be a striker bought before the window closes.

Wouldn't be that impressed with Chelsea's line up either.

Will be sad to see Agger go as I think he has a genuine attachment to the club. That said I can't remember the last time I was impressed with his defending. He might do better in a slightly less physical league.

I'm thinking the same. Still ahven't seen him play in a Liverpool shirt unfortunately, still can't believe he's 6ft 3in :pac:

1024px-Tiago_Ilori.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Would probably be better for Toure to stay as 4th choice and Ilori to get a season of first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

SlickRic wrote: »

just like our team was better than most people thought last season. quite often, all it takes is the right manager to ignite something.

i fear they will be a force again this season
    honestly can see Utd making a title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Yeah, we definitely need another striker.
    Jovetic for City as well. Good player if he can avoid injury this season he'll do well. They're top of that list IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Completely agree with this. Although our attacking midfielders are probably top of that pile.

Really? I love you optimism

Granted - Our midfield pisses on Utd's but you wouldn't prefer to have

Silva/Toure/Navas/Nasri or
    Ozil/Ox/Cazorla/Ramsey
    or Hazard/Willian/Oscar/Fabregas?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I'm not so sure about that. City and chelseas attacking midfields are above ours imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You forgot Jovetic and I think Negredo is badly injured at the moment so he wont figure for most of this season. At least until December I would say.

Chelsea have Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, Hazard, and Salah who can all play at number 10 or out wide. Fabregas also spent most of his time at Barca in that role too. Frankly, they spank everyone in that department. Imagine if they had kept Mata! :P

Tusky wrote: »
    We have signed lots of good players but no top class players - I'm concerned about that. If you look through the squad I don't think we have a single top class player in there now that Suarez is gone. Teams that win things always have at least one or two stars. It will be interesting to see if anyone will step up a level this season, with Sterling, Sturridge or Coutiniho being the most likely. However, I am disappointed that we haven't signed anyone from that top bracket.

Would be very unusually for Liverpool to sign a top level star though. Not saying that I would not like for it to happen, but it is something that the club has rarely done.

If we look at the players who became or look to be becoming our bigger names of the past decade or so

Torres
    Suarez
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Hyypia
    Konchesky
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Reina
    Hamann

And we get lists of players who were seen as having the potential to be very good, or who had stagnated elsewhere.

We never really were a club that went out and bought players who were established as being one of the best in Europe. Even when we brought in club legends like Kenny, Hansen, Souness, and Barnes we were buying players on the up rather than players who were at the peak of their powers.

Plus although we are without doubt a big club, we are also one that has not been a CL regular for a number of years and many players may view us as being a once in a blue moon CL team. We may all, as supporters, point to things like 2005, but that was 9 years ago and to a young player, especially one from outside of England, that is a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

SlickRic wrote: »

Thing is a lot of their players were average all along. Especially in defence and midfield. Covered up for by Ferguson's force of personality and the fact that they had very good strikers to bail them out.

A lot of parallels with us last season in that they have no European football and they have a ridiculously easy start to the league (even easier than we had last season) where they can build up some momentum and points in the bag.

Don't think we are bottom of the pile in terms of the main striker starting for each team. Our current main striker did better than every other name from that list that was in the EPL last season.

Costa and Sanchez are exciting additions to the league, but until they actually start netting on a regular basis we don't know if they are going to be able to outdo our guy.

Now our depth up front looks like it lags behind all the rest, but then again look what Lambert managed in the EPL last season compared to the other names who were in the same league, and then it seems that we are not so weak that one more decent addition up front would not have us trading punches with the other attacks in the league.

• Advertisement

Thing is a lot of their players were average all along. Especially in defence and midfield. Covered up for by Ferguson's force of personality and the fact that they had very good strikers to bail them out.

A lot of parallels with us last season in that they have no European football and they have a ridiculously easy start to the league (even easier than we had last season) where they can build up some momentum and points in the bag.

I think this is a major factor. Means they can pretty much play there best team in most games. However, if they play 3-5-2 as LVG is saying they will then I think they need to sign 2 more centre backs and a top holding mid player.

If LFC sign Moreno soon I'd at least be happy to start the season with a back four of:

Flanagan Lovren Skrtel Moreno and hope that Sturridge can stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Scout Nation just uploaded this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

When discussing and comparing players from various teams, it's important to remember:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would be very unusually for Liverpool to sign a top level star though. Not saying that I would not like for it to happen, but it is something that the club has rarely done.

If we look at the players who became or look to be becoming our bigger names of the past decade or so

Torres
    Suarez
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Hyypia
    Konchesky
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Reina
    Hamann

And we get lists of players who were seen as having the potential to be very good, or who had stagnated elsewhere.

We never really were a club that went out and bought players who were established as being one of the best in Europe. Even when we brought in club legends like Kenny, Hansen, Souness, and Barnes we were buying players on the up rather than players who were at the peak of their powers.

Plus although we are without doubt a big club, we are also one that has not been a CL regular for a number of years and many players may view us as being a once in a blue moon CL team. We may all, as supporters, point to things like 2005, but that was 9 years ago and to a young player, especially one from outside of England, that is a long time ago.

Can't argue with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Might be a good time to throw in a bid of £15m for Seamus Coleman. At best we get him, at worst we unsettle Everton abit and maybe get an good Irish player a pay rise!! Would love an Irish player back in the LFC team!

He's realistically the only one good enough or maybe James McCarthy either.

More chance of Reuss tbh

That RB and LB sorted so.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »
    2540157-1436428462-Red-S.gif

We need someone else here. Perhaps it will be Can or Allen, perhaps having Lovren and Sahko will improve thigs....but it's a mess at it's current state.

I would also have accepted

danger-Will-Robinson.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Perhaps the reason we haven't won the league in a long time is because we don't purchase top level stars?

It's all well and good finding diamonds in the rough but to actually push on maybe we need gamble on some big names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

x43r0 wrote: »

Ozil/Ox/Cazorla/Ramsey

you can keep the rest for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gosplan wrote: »
    Don't forget that the team was organised to get the most from Suarez.

I don't think it's a case of just having to replace his goals and assists like for like.

BR isn't stupid. He was right last year when he said that Liverpool really made Suarez shine in the pitch. He'll get the team playing to their strengths.

It'll probably be very like the opening six games of last season.

Was it really set up to get the best from Suarez?

For me it was just as set up to get the best from Sturridge, I don't think the 2 of them gelled as well in the second half of the season. The pace and skill of the team on the counter with Coutinho and Sterling suited Sturridge to a tee. Luis often just did his thing!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This would be my team starting against Southampton if I could bring in a few more players.

Mignolet

Clyne---Lovren---Sakho---Moreno

Gerrard

Can
    Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling---Sturridge

Bench; Lambert, Markovic, Ibe, Allen, Lucas, Flanagan, Skrtel and A keeper.

Lallana not counted because of injury.

I see a need for two full backs the ones I would be happy with are named above and a back up keeper.

We also need a striker but thats the major signing we all want different people but my choice is Jackson Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We are adding to it though, so I'd be shocked if we don't have one more option come September. Remy would have made a bit of a difference but probably not enough. Bony as well, tbh I'm not sure who is out there that is available and gettable that could make up the difference.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

x43r0 wrote: »

Ozil/Ox/Cazorla/Ramsey
    Connavar wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. City and chelseas attacking midfields are above ours imo

Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho and even Hendo although not an attacking midfielder, the chances they create are greater than any other team combined in my opinion.

Take into consideration how young they are and the experience they have then yes, I can't see any other team having a better unit in attacking midfield.

Silva/Toure/Navas/Nasri - Toure and Silva fair enough, wouldn't be as happy if Nasri and Navas took any of our attacking midfielders position.

Ozil/Ox/Cazorla/Ramsey - none of these players are better than what he have, Ozil just can't adapt to the English game as of yet. Ramsey will be injured more than he was last season this year by the looks of things. Carzola is only a free kick taker at the majority of times.

or Hazard/Willian/Oscar/Fabregas? - Willian, really? If anyone Schurrle? Hazard is one of, if not the best attacking midfielder in the league but the other 2 can be hit and miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

This would be my team starting against Southampton if I could bring in a few more players.

Mignolet

Clyne---Lovren---Sakho---Moreno

Gerrard

Can
    Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling---Sturridge

Bench; Lambert, Markovic, Ibe, Allen, Lucas, Flanagan, Skrtel and A keeper.

Lallana not counted because of injury.

I see a need for two full backs the ones I would be happy with are named above and a back up keeper.

We also need a striker but thats the major signing we all want different people but my choice is Jackson Martinez.

I like that team.

And Llama and Coutinho alternating games when fit.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

10562533_775586065824890_4245218179817040694_o.jpg

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It worked for Batman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Agueroooo wrote: »
    10562533_775586065824890_4245218179817040694_o.jpg

:(

How did he pass a medical? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Kess73 wrote: »

Torres
    Suarez
    Mascherano
    Alonso
    Hyypia
    Konchesky
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Reina
    Hamann

I'm not calling for us to buy a "star" necessarily. I just think we should at least be buying one or two players that are a level above where we are shopping this window.

I would argue that Torres, Suarez and Mascherano were approaching that top bracket when we bought them. Great players who were close to being world class - those are the type of signings we should be making. I don't rate any of our current signings in that bracket though.

I would also argue that what we have done in the transfer market historically is irrelevant. Just because we don't traditionally buy top players doesn't mean we shouldn't.

We have more funds than ever before this window so there's no reason why we shouldn't be going after better players. I just feel the teams around us are making bigger strides forward this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

brevity wrote: »
    Perhaps the reason we haven't won the league in a long time is because we don't purchase top level stars?

It's all well and good finding diamonds in the rough but to actually push on maybe we need gamble on some big names.

change "don't" to "can't" and you might be onto something there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho and even Hendo although not an attacking midfielder, the chances they create are greater than any other team combined in my opinion.

Take into consideration how young they are and the experience they have then yes, I can't see any other team having a better unit in attacking midfield.

Silva/Toure/Navas/Nasri - Toure and Silva fair enough, wouldn't be as happy if Nasri and Navas took any of our attacking midfielders position.

Ozil/Ox/Cazorla/Ramsey - none of these players are better than what he have, Ozil just can't adapt to the English game as of yet. Ramsey will be injured more than he was last season this year by the looks of things. Carzola is only a free kick taker at the majority of times.

or Hazard/Willian/Oscar/Fabregas? - Willian, really? If anyone Schurrle? Hazard is one of, if not the best attacking midfielder in the league but the other 2 can be hit and miss.

I disagree with most of what you said about the Arsenal midfield but can you expand on the bit I've bolded ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Maybe only for a season or two but I reckon Lovern & Skrtel are going to become the best CB pairing since Hypia & Henchoz:eek: I think Skrtel will start off the season rock solid, leaving Sakho & Lovern competing for the LCB position and imo Lovern will fill that slot.

I'm not forgetting Carra but he didn't really have a stand out partner over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

And another one down.

We'll hardly be able to justify a match thread between the two or three LFC fans left by the Southampton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And another one down.

We'll hardly be able to justify a match thread between the two or three LFC fans left by the Southampton game.

What did he do?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

And another one down.

It'll be like Southampton trying to field a team.

And another one down.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91449761&postcount=9399

And I was right

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    It'll be like Southampton trying to field a team.

Except the best guys were kept, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement