Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

rob316 wrote: »
    I keep saying it our defence is made to look far worse than it is. They have zero protection in midfield the worst teams can cut through us with ease, it's not tactics it's the personnel.

If you want to play Gerrard it's essential he has 2 dynamic hard working midfielders ahead of him he just doesn't have the legs to get about the pitch. His range of passing is excellent but lovren seems to be able to do that job now too so I don't know if he is needed anymore.

I've said it before but what would others think of Gerrard as a centre back?

At times he was so deep he might as well have been a centre back!

Agree with you - the defence has zero protection. We saw it pretty much all last season and we're seeing it now again. You can change the personnel at the back all you want but if your midfield is AWOL you're going to ship goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Agreed Gerrard and Lucas don't work. Actually, it is starting to become really, really clear...even more than last year that Lucas with anyone doesn't work.

Hendo on the wing is not so great either today.

Well BR just needs time to figure out his best team. In all fairness we had three new players today and they all did well. Definitely an upgrade from last season.

Ardent wrote: »
    At times he was so deep he might as well have been a centre back!

Agree with you - the defence has zero protection. We saw it pretty much all last season and we're seeing it now again. You can change the personnel at the back all you want but if your midfield is AWOL you're going to ship goals.

Ya agreed, I think we basically had huge gaps in midfield as Stevie was laying too deep and they were able to hit us hard on the break a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Agreed Gerrard and Lucas don't work. Actually, it is starting to become really, really clear...even more than last year that Lucas with anyone doesn't work.

Hendo on the wing is not so great either today.

Well BR just needs time to figure out his best team. In all fairness we had three new players today and they all did well. Definitely an upgrade from last season.

Lucas is grand with any 2 midfielders ahead of him which aren't Gerrard.

I'm happy enough keeping him around as back up to Gerrard unless we go out and sign Song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Iago Aspas was on the receiving end of a Kike Lopez headbutt during Sevilla's friendly game against Cadiz.

Crazy for a friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

1. 201d29a183f43327e0e51744a8c6da7a_bigger.jpegRobbie Fowler ‏@Robbie9Fowler 3m
      @Roy_Evo cheers boss... I was free

Roy Evans answering some questions on Twitter.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So lads all the big teams won this weekend so far ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sometimes I want to headbutt Aspas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So lads all the big teams won this weekend so far ;)

But Spurs won! :pac:

Chelsea shall no doubt grind out a lumpy win away to Burnley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

But Spurs won! :pac:

Chelsea shall no doubt grind out a lumpy win away to Burnley.

Why is it that Chelsea grind out hard fought wins. Where as we are always sloppy yadda yadda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

3 points up on same fixtures last season.

On course for 87 points and a likely league title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For all we've complained about the defending for it, we'd be tugging ourselves asunder if we'd scored that goal by Clyne.

Best bit of play in the match (not that that's saying all that much).

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already......

I was fairly surprised to see Lucas start, I got the distinct impression that he was a goner, also as an Allen fan I would start Allen ahead of Lucas when Gerrard is starting and most likely when Gerrard isn't starting too :)

As the match progressed I think Southampton began to see that Liverpool weren't dangerous on the counter so they gained in confidence going forward.

It's all about sample size though, can't read too much into one display, new season for Southampton players too and they are all out to impress and they no doubt don't want to be seen as a poor team compared to S'ton's first 11 from 2013/2014.

Sturridge put away his chance nicely, wasn't happy the amount of times he seemed to be "out of position", that was fine last year when Suarez was toggling with him in the box but if Sturridge is the main forward I reckon he has to play like that, thought Lambert did well when he came on.

Glen needs to be at best on the bench once Enrique if back fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vicxas wrote: »
    Why is it that Chelsea grind out hard fought wins. Where as we are always sloppy yadda yadda

Every team has a "narrative" foisted upon it for some reason. Arsenal are all about aesthetics and walking the ball in, Chelsea are tank like grinder outers of results. Of course 25 years ago it was Arsenal who grinded out wins.

Liverpools image is still one of flaky at the back and prone to shooting oneself in the foot, which is fair enough to be honest. Even when consistently winning the side can often resemble a bloke spinning one plate too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Good to get off to a win on the first day of the season. It will be interesting to see where we are at when the window closes and we have all players available.

I think Sturridge needs a striking partner in order to get the best out of him. It's important that Liverpool have the flexibility to alternate systems to suit.

Rumoured striking additions as well as another midfielder are welcome as Lucas is not good enough. A striker like Cavani or Falcao would be unreal additions. Alex Song for midfield would be a great addition also.

For me though a commanding goalkeeping presence is vital as I do not believe Mignolet is up to what is needed.

Be nice to see Moreno fit in and hopefully Manquillo will blossom into the full back we are craving for.

As for centre half it'd be interesting to see how Sakho and Lovren would get on together.

As regards the Gerrard arguement he is still a mainstay of the team as we have no alternative with the passing range or football brain to compare to him. People complain about his defending but he's decent at that too and the likes of Pirlo can't defend but people fawn all over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gbear wrote: »
    For all we've complained about the defending for it, we'd be tugging ourselves asunder if we'd scored that goal by Clyne.

Tug away, Hendersons ball to Sterling.

I can't stop praising sterling this time last season he looked like he was on his way out of Liverpool now he is on the way to becoming one of the best wingers in the world. 19 years old I hope he is here for the next 10 years. I have no doubt he will be the one to step up now suarez is gone.

His intelligence and tactical awareness is amazing for such a young age. He has built himself up to bully some of the best defenders around.

Rodgers deserves alot of credit aswell as raheem himself.

He will be a huge hit in the champions league and I am expecting 20 goals from him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

318774.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Morzadec wrote: »
    I can't believe people are yet again calling for Gerrard to be dropped! Unbelievable.
    I really do just give up at this stage. One day he'll be gone and we'll be pining after him.

Gbear wrote: »

Tug away, Hendersons ball to Sterling.

Well if I must...

r8GV6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

It was a pretty bizzare set up today, hendo out wide is a waste, his pressing and energy is very important to our midfield and he is so-so out wide. Johnson is still useless, lucas was ok but him and gerrard in midfield is a massive no so lucas will have to make way soon imo.

I wouldnt mind seeing can or allen in for lucas v city and moreno in for johnson, id like to see the diamond again with sterling up with sturridge with cou in behind. Very promising start for manquillo, nervy initially but solid throughout, a clear upgrade on what johnson is offering, lovren was good too alongside skrtel, i think southamptons goal was just a quality bit of play really hard to blame anyone really. Also good to see must the 2 defenders on the bench, id imgine toure will be sitting out games when moreno comes in for we have 1 cb and 1 fb on the bench which is plenty imo, i always gett annoyed when there is more then 2 defenders on the bench.

I can't stop praising sterling this time last season he looked like he was on his way out of Liverpool

Liverpool were never going to let Sterling go. Pretty sure everyone at the club knew how good he was, even if everyone on boards didn't

Still, his progress has been quicker than I'm sure anyone could have dreamed

I know it's far away, but looking forward to the City match, what is the best approach?

I'm thinking 5-3-2. We have 3 good centre backs so it makes sense to utilise them in a tough away game. It also gives Moreno the chance to come in without too much defensive responsibility in maybe the toughest game of the season. Also means we can drop Johnson, who again was so ponderous and ineffective in possession today

Sterling and Sturridge can do their thing effectively on the break, with neither of them having to worry about defending the wide positions. They are the players that won us the game today, and they need to be given as much freedom to hurt the opposition as possible. I believe they both have the ideal weapon to do so - pace. They could exploit a potential lack of pace from City's defenders, or force City to defend a little deeper, thus giving us a bit more breathing room in midfield.

Migs

Skrt
    Lovren
    Sahko

Manquillo
    Moreno

Gerrard
    Henderson

Coutinho

Sturridge---Sterling

Not a formation I'd advocate to be used week in week out, but one that I think could work given the personnel we currently have, and given the opposition we face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just not a fan of the 3-5-2 at all, I dont think we're going to see Rodgers using that again. I'd bring Enrique in at LB (if Moreno isnt match fit), bring in Allen or Can for Lucas, and keep the rest of the side as it was today. Hopefully will have Markovic on the bench to bring on as an impact sub with his pace and direct style, if needed. Gonna be a tough ask to get anything from the game.

• Advertisement

I thought Manquillo did pretty well today. Had some tough moments in the first half as I think they definitely targeted him. But he made some important tackles and blocks in the second half (while on a yellow).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I thought Manquillo did pretty well today. Had some tough moments in the first half as I think they definitely targeted him. But he made some important tackles and blocks in the second half (while on a yellow).

Anyone for a team of Johnsons???
    BvQ03azIAAIC-Qm.jpg

Apparently his birthday tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The horror...

Morzadec wrote: »

Migs

Skrt
    Lovren
    Sahko

Manquillo
    Moreno

Gerrard
    Henderson

Coutinho

Sturridge---Sterling

I think the best back four available needs to start as a back four for the game against City, I'd have the front two as you have and I'd bring Allen in to allow Henderson more freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Definitely need our best back four against City. How Johnson keeps getting into that is anyone's question. When Moreno is ready to play we could see a back four that was not so spongelike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I presume Moreno will be throw in straight away, given how quickly Manquilo was thrown in. The question is if Johnson will be dropped, or returned to right back...

Manquilo looked good today, as it happened. Looked strong for a young fella, and coped with the early yellow card well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Lads, have any of you stayed in the Days Inn hotel on James St in Liverpool? Heading over next month and was going to book the apartments I used to use for matches but they've closed down, all the online reviews seem good and seems to be a central location.

Just gonna try this again since there'll be more traffic here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Just gonna try this again since there'll be more traffic here tonight.

Ya I did good location and grand place to stay for a match accom is basic but does the job

The Britannia Adelphi Hotel doesn't tempt you ? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Augeo wrote: »

Not in the slightest :) I've heard some horror stories about that place. I've been over a lot but usually just go for an apartment. Haven't been over in about 3 years though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

10341823_10152763933377573_2750289603871125761_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I presume Moreno will be throw in straight away, given how quickly Manquilo was thrown in. The question is if Johnson will be dropped, or returned to right back...

Manquilo looked good today, as it happened. Looked strong for a young fella, and coped with the early yellow card well.

Bit of a baptism of fire throwing Moreno in against City.

Manquillo is by far a better option than Johnson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Liam Gallagher really nailed Luke Shaw on Twitter! Lol

Augeo wrote: »

Absolute dive stayed there once never again not even good enough to just rest your head.
    The ibis is ok and the premier Inn is solid also. If I'm staying the weekend with a group we usually rent the print works apartments on henry street very good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Lazar Markovic organizing a straightner on ITV 4

shangtsung-300x225.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

djPSB wrote: »
    Bit of a baptism of fire throwing Moreno in against City.

Manquillo is by far a better option than Johnson.

I remember Arbeloa making his debut playing out of position at left back away at the Nou Camp against Barcelona up against Messi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

To be fair he had a horrid first half and was skinned on a couple of occasions, granted he done much better in the second half.
    For all the slagging he took in the past i thought Bertrand played well today!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liam Gallagher really nailed Luke Shaw on Twitter! Lol

Pro tip: When making a comment like this either give more details or the actual quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

5starpool wrote: »
    Pro tip: When making a comment like this either give more details or the actual quotes.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/121743/liam-gallagher-tweet-on-luke-shaw/#.U_EWifldWSo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Was Borini fit today lads or injured?

I've all but given up on him signing for Sunderland (and Poyet has too per the Northern Echo tomorrow) but it would be a shame if he was fit and not even named in the squad, though he can get used to that happening plenty more often I'd assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Paully D wrote: »

I've all but given up on him signing for Sunderland (and Poyet has too per the Northern Echo tomorrow) but it would be a shame if he was fit and not even named in the squad, though he can get used to that happening plenty more often I'd assume.

I never even thought of him today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Paully D wrote: »

Rodgers has said we want another striker so fabio, imo has his head in the sand if he thinks hell get substantial game time here and at his age its foolish, admirable if wants to stay and work hard but foolish ultimately. Lot more outs in any case id imagine before the window closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Where is flanno these days? Havent seen his name mentioned much in the last few weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement