Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Watching the 2nd goal again...

The attack starts from a beautiful cross field ball from Gerrard to Manquillo, the type of ball that few players in our squad could pull off with any consistency. That's what opened up the play and gave us the space to get the cross in.

Gerrard's influence is still vital, can't fathom the calls for him to be dropped. Even in a so-called 'poor' performance today, he played a key part in the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To go with the jig from last season! Hendo's reactions are pricelees.

VTMQKvt.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Where is flanno these days? Havent seen his name mentioned much in the last few weeks

Still injured. Should be back this week I think along with lallana!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Still injured. Should be back this week I think along with lallana!

And markovic. Looking forward to that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Seems we have a new youth coach coming from Wigan.

https://twitter.com/timlees10/status/501116113103900672

a808ed58d2ac0f685baa99460cd2f9a0.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Where is flanno these days? Havent seen his name mentioned much in the last few weeks

Injured, back soon i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Morzadec wrote: »

The attack starts from a beautiful cross field ball from Gerrard to Manquillo, the type of ball that few players in our squad could pull off with any consistency. That's what opened up the play and gave us the space to get the cross in.

Gerrard's influence is still vital, can't fathom the calls for him to be dropped. Even in a so-called 'poor' performance today, he played a key part in the winner

It's even stupider than that. Getting emotionally invested in starting lineups this year (before Christmas at least) is silly. Right now we have five central midfielders:

Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lucas
    Can
    Allen

Good enough as a group to win a league / CL? Probably not. All required? Yes. I'd love us to sign a Song but until that happens the above is what we've got and they're all going to see game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Kess73 wrote: »

Based on our squad as it stands today, where do people think we will finish in the league this season?

Will always be more of a reader rather than poster but thought I would give this a shot..

City.
    Arsenal.
    Chelsea.
    Utd.
    Lfc.
    Spurs.
    Everton.

City's away form at the start of last season gave everyone a chance, can't see that happening again. Arsenal cant be so unlucky with injuries as last season plus they have gotten the " no trophy " monkey off their back. Jose will get the bullet. Seen the first half of today's game, which was reported as our best half , and we looked very nervy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Will always be more of a reader rather than poster but thought I would give this a shot..

City.
    Arsenal.
    Chelsea.
    Utd.
    Lfc.
    Spurs.
    Everton.

City's away form at the start of last season gave everyone a chance, can't see that happening again. Arsenal cant be so unlucky with injuries as last season plus they have gotten the " no trophy " monkey off their back. Jose will get the bullet. Seen the first half of today's game, which was reported as our best half , and we looked very nervy.

I feel you have wrote that more in hope than expectation. No chance he will be sacked

I think Liverpool will finish 3rd behind Chelsea and City, Arsenal 4th

Utd are average again and Arsenal are well Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The biggest thing to come out of today?

Moreno can't come in quick enough so Johnson is benched.

Utterly shíte, and lazy on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »

Great goal saving tackle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

He had one good manoeuvre. then he just fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That was a nervy performance today, I don't like how easily Soton opened us up on several occasions. Given how many goals we shipped last season I'd hoped sorting the defence was a priority. It's early days of course but watching that today doesn't fill me with confidence for the away game to Man City coming up next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

After seeing how we played today, a draw next week at the Etihad would be a miracle. Sterling is a terrific talent, but we can't be relying on him too much, Rodgers needs to use him wisely because overplaying him at this stage of his career will lead to injury problems in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

martyos121 wrote: »
    After seeing how we played today, a draw next week at the Etihad would be a miracle. Sterling is a terrific talent, but we can't be relying on him too much, Rodgers needs to use him wisely because overplaying him at this stage of his career will lead to injury problems in the future.

Different game, different circumstances and team will be a week further along in training and probably have a different line up.

I think we have a good chance of a result there, very tough game though.

People should not see first games of the season as a marker for the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

martyos121 wrote: »

With the purchases of lallana and markovic, cout and sterling will see some rotation. Need somebody similar for sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Well, 3 points is 3 points, we never win comfortably on the first day. Can may well come in next time, we'll need more energy in midfield against City. And hopefully Moreno to cope witrh the pace of Navas out right, who made a mug of Robinson when we played in the US.

Rodgers suggested max 2 more players, which WILL be a striker and maybe Romero as sub goalie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Performance yesterday was pretty poor, I'd say no player was worthy of more than a 6/10. It's all well and good putting Johnson forward as the fall guy but there were plenty in the team who were also poor. It was flashes of brilliance from Henderson, Sturridge, Sterling and Mignolet that won us the game but at the same time I couldn't say any of them had a particularly good game either. Mignolet is still a disaster waiting to happen with balls into the box! Southampton deserved something from the game, they were excellent in the second half. Ward-Prowse seemed to be running the show, surprised we didn't put a bid in for him during the game :p

It's only the first game and it's to be expected that with more games our play will get better (it can't get any worse tbh). I'm not too worried, technically we're 3 points up on last season already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dickerty wrote: »
    Well, 3 points is 3 points, we never win comfortably on the first day. Can may well come in next time, we'll need more energy in midfield against City. And hopefully Moreno to cope witrh the pace of Navas out right, who made a mug of Robinson when we played in the US.

Rodgers suggested max 2 more players, which WILL be a striker and maybe Romero as sub goalie?

If Alex Song is available and there is takers for Lucas I would hope we wouldn't pass that transfer up.

We should of signed Diego Lopez surely we would have been a more attractive place than AC Milan.

Get that striker in, the best we can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

BvTW0inIMAAMvkY.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

We need one more decent striker if Sturridge gets injured we're in trouble. Happy enough with the performance though it was a typical opening game and three points is all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I agree with people not to take too much away from yesterdays performance with regard to going to City.

As much as Southampton got at us yesterday Newcastle also got at City and carved them open on a few occasions and if they had a natural goal scorer should have equalized before City got the second.

It will be a tight game with City and being at the Ethiad I think it will be a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'm not sure he's lazy. He's just sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

murpho999 wrote: »
    Different game, different circumstances and team will be a week further along in training and probably have a different line up.

I think we have a good chance of a result there, very tough game though.

People should not see first games of the season as a marker for the rest of it.

The bookies odds of 19/20 on City are a bit off imo.

Think City should be a bit shorter than that all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yesterday was proof that we cant play with one striker, as soon as Lambert came on he was in the box, he didn't have to do anything but just be another body in the box to create space for Sturridge and Sterling to setup and score.
    It was a very good sub from Rodgers, his entrance really lifted the place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Morzadec wrote: »

I'd agree with this, but I would dearly love to see him taking some interest in attacking midfielders running past him. It happened quite a lot last season, and happened several times yesterday. He needs to track players sometimes, not just occupy the space in front of the back 4 without actually doing anything. Another worrying thing was, when we went 2-1 up, he seemed to be taking up his most attacking positions, being swept along with the crowds excitement, when he should have been demanding the ball, and controlling the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rob316 wrote: »
    Yesterday was proof that we cant play with one striker, as soon as Lambert came on he was in the box, he didn't have to do anything but just be another body in the box to create space for Sturridge and Sterling to setup and score.
    It was a very good sub from Rodgers, his entrance really lifted the place too.

Our problems yesterday were in the other 2/3 of the pitch. We had a passenger at full back and our midfield was a mess.

One game doesn't prove anything with regard to 1 forward or 2 forwards. We routed Dortmund with 1 up front. We have a great record with Sturridge as a lone striker.

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    BvTW0inIMAAMvkY.png

Pretty incredible record.

I thought he was poor enough yesterday overall tbh but he won us the 3 points so can't be too harsh on him.

He definitely needs more quality up there with him.

Sterling was head and shoulders above him and Coutinho, the latter having little influence.

Once Moreno is in and Manquillo retains his place after a good start, teams are going to attack us down the middle because that's our soft underbelly. We showed last season that we can be hurt there. The sooner we have Can in to help hunt down players in that area, the better. Even Allen is better at tracking runners than Lucas, and Stevie does it sometimes but doesn't have the legs to do that for 90 mins. Silva and Nasri will really hurt us there...

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He definitely needs more quality up there with him.

Help is on the way!

46.6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Johnson should be flogged now while we can still make £1m on him. Maybe some competition will do him good as he has had it way too comfortable for both club and country but he is a liability at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Once Moreno is in and Manquillo retains his place after a good start, teams are going to attack us down the middle because that's our soft underbelly. We showed last season that we can be hurt there. The sooner we have Can in to help hunt down players in that area, the better. Even Allen is better at tracking runners than Lucas, and Stevie does it sometimes but doesn't have the legs to do that for 90 mins. Silva and Nasri will really hurt us there...

Thought Manquillo had a good debut vs Dortmund but was caught out yesterday a few times. Will probably take him a while to settle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On this day Liverpool signed Ian Rush for the second time (26 years ago) and er Dirk Kuyt (8 years ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

In previous years I would be nervous about playing against Man City after a performance like yesterday but I think last year this team showed they can switch things up from game to game and once someone more mobile like Allen is in the middle then I think we'll find a groove again and will naturally be up for the City game anyway. Feck the jinx!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Well, 3 points is 3 points, we never win comfortably on the first day.
    Exactly - also I don't think people were giving any respect to Southampton. Yes, they've lost players, but when I look at their first 11 and the performances they gave, I saw a very solid team there that will almost certainly take points from other teams in the top 4. Also have to remember that we have Markovic, Lallana and Moreno all to come in, as well as another 1-2 players (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Illori was at the Bordeaux game over the weekend. Looks like that one is going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Our problems yesterday were in the other 2/3 of the pitch. We had a passenger at full back and our midfield was a mess.

One game doesn't prove anything with regard to 1 forward or 2 forwards. We routed Dortmund with 1 up front. We have a great record with Sturridge as a lone striker.

We routed a serverly under strength Dortmund in a friendly, the value of that is questionable.
    With Sturridge as the lone striker at the start of last year we didn't exactly score much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Illori was at the Bordeaux game over the weekend. Looks like that one is going ahead.

I don't know why we didn't just leave him on loan at Sporting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Manquillo had a very good debut. Really like the look of him and already showed more than Johnson in one game. He seemed quite comfortable on the ball and made the right decisions and can play it simple when nothing is on.
    Was caught once of twice but it was his first game and will improve as confidence grows. Be great when Moreno is in too. We'll be much more solid at the back.

Delighted with Lovren also. He could be signing of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    We routed a serverly under strength Dortmund in a friendly, the value of that is questionable.
    With Sturridge as the lone striker at the start of last year we didn't exactly score much.

Again, look at how the rest of the team was functioning at that time - ie: not at all well.

Suarez was out, Coutinho was struggling, Moses hadn't yet come in to save us. Aspas wasn't a goal threat.

Could just as easily point to the end of the 12/13 season when Sturridge was up front on his own and we (and he) were scoring lots of goals.

• Advertisement

Again, look at how the rest of the team was functioning at that time - ie: not at all well.

Suarez was out, Coutinho was struggling, Moses hadn't yet come in to save us. Aspas wasn't a goal threat.

Could just as easily point to the end of the 12/13 season when Sturridge was up front on his own and we (and he) were scoring lots of goals.

When Sturridge was running wide and deeper to pick up the ball there we were short up front.

Lambert coming on made a difference imo. It gives defenders more to think about, gives Sturridge more space to play and obviously adds another goal threat.

Today FM playing Depeche Mode, first time I've actually thought how odd it will be to never see Suarez in a Liverpool shirt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think Lambert & Allen had a big part to play in us getting the winner yesterday. Lambert didn't finish the game well but he put himself about and drew pressure away from Sturridge who was then freed up to drift on to the wings more.

Allen pressed high and did very well. I criticised Lucas during the match thread and while he was fine in the first half - he was poor in the second. If you compare either himself or Gerrard to Fernando for City yesterday - neither came close to doing the job he did yesterday - you'd think Lucas should take the brunt of criticism for that, given that he supposedly has a better defensive game, however, from what I saw, he was rushing in and being played around - he failed to put any authority on the match which is what's required in the middle of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Brendaõ wrote: »
    Today FM playing Depeche Mode, first time I've actually thought how odd it will be to never see Suarez in a Liverpool shirt again.

I actually turned it off when it came on the radio.

421.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Since we won anyway I'm, kind of glad Lambert didn't put away the chance he had a couple of minutes after coming on yesterday. Looking forward to seeing him go mental when he gets his first goal and I think he would have felt conflicted yesterday between celebrating his first Liverpool goal and respecting Southampton.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think Lambert & Allen had a big part to play in us getting the winner yesterday. Lambert didn't finish the game well but he put himself about and drew pressure away from Sturridge who was then freed up to drift on to the wings more.

Allen pressed high and did very well. I criticised Lucas during the match thread and while he was fine in the first half - he was poor in the second. If you compare either himself or Gerrard to Fernando for City yesterday - neither came close to doing the job he did yesterday - you'd think Lucas should take the brunt of criticism for that, given that he supposedly has a better defensive game, however, from what I saw, he was rushing in and being played around - he failed to put any authority on the match which is what's required in the middle of the park.

Switching to 2 up front with the diamond made the difference.
    Another great example of Rodgers being able to change a game with tactics and personnel changes.
    Ricki done exactly what we needed him to do, draw out the defensive and get in the mix.

Another thing that went relatively un-noticed was how Gerrard and Lucas were deployed. The 2 of them were interchanging and dropping into the QB role in the first half. Lucas is obviously not as effective there, but made us more flexible in our build up from the back.
    Lovrens range of passing is also sensational. I would expect that he will absorb the Gerrard QB role quite a bit, freeing up on of the DM positions. It looks like he has the ability to do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lambert also was the one that chased down that loose ball that was half cleared by Southampton. 30 seconds later the ball was in the back of the net. Our attack would have broken down only for that. It's a simple thing but he did it and showed the strength and presence of mind to chase it down and keep the attack going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Brendaõ wrote: »

Username, signature, and "Playing with 11 men".

Lolz.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

OwaynOTT wrote: »

They weren't that understrength. 9 of them beat Bayern Munich handily in the German Super Cup a few days later. Still only pre-season though.

Knex. wrote: »
    Username, signature, and "Playing with 11 men".

Lolz.

:pac:

Can't tell if sarcasm, or... :o

I know my profile must seem like a pisstake, but I'm a big Rodgers fan, the sig is just to be funny and the 'playing with 11 men' is just classic innuendo :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement