Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

gafferino wrote: »
    Thought Manquillo had a good debut vs Dortmund but was caught out yesterday a few times. Will probably take him a while to settle in.

One stat that stood out for me: We blocked 2.7 crosses per game last season. Javier Manquillo blocked 3 yesterday. Even if he averages at, say, 2 per game personally, it's likely our season average will be much improved, which closes an avenue and - in theory - will lead to at least a small drop in goals conceded.

Big Lambert sceptic here - and while I don't think he's a world beater or anything - he showed plenty of grit and fight yesterday and did the job he needed to do, so credit where it's due.

We are three points up on the corresponding fixture last season, and win lose or draw against City away, that figure will remain the same, so no need for panic stations if we lose. A draw would be nice, but I would've taken 3 points from the first 2 games at the outset.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dickerty wrote: »
    Help is on the way!

46.6.jpg

The loan rumour won't go away it seems, but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I know its early doors but I feel the next two games could shape the first part of the season to Novermber/December.
    Obviously losing both would be a nightmare. 3/9 is not great and would take a few weeks to get back in shape. I think the key at the start is to keep the points total ticking over and try and build some momentum. We have traditionally been slow starters and I expect us to up our consistency later in the season (a 12 game winning streak would be great craic!).

I am hoping the fact they are both away games that City and Spurs will both be on the attack and leave us with some room to play. What stood out to me yesterday was how little of the ball our front 3 got and when they did were closed down very quickly.

What would people be happy with from the next 2 games points wise? Id bite your hand off for 4/6 points but think 3 points more likely and quite possibly 1 point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Another thing that went relatively un-noticed was how Gerrard and Lucas were deployed. The 2 of them were interchanging and dropping into the QB role in the first half. Lucas is obviously not as effective there, but made us more flexible in our build up from the back.
    Lovrens range of passing is also sensational. I would expect that he will absorb the Gerrard QB role quite a bit, freeing up on of the DM positions. It looks like he has the ability to do both.

I felt that was our biggest issue yesterday. Southampton closed both Lucas and Gerrard down quite quickly and when they looked up to pass the ball to the next link in the midfield there was no one there as either Lucas or Gerrard were just behind whichever one had the ball.

Therefore causing Coutinho and Sterling to drop a bit deeper. This is why I feel Allen helped a lot when he came on because he was usually just ahead of Gerrard, giving him that short pass.

I can really see Lallana fitting in the team perfectly. I imagine once he's back we'll have a midfield of Gerrard and Henderson and one of Lallana, Coutinho or Sterling as the attacking of the trio.

Anyway I can't see Lucas and Gerrard starting this weekend anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

5starpool wrote: »

A loan is fairly likely, but I reckon Lavezzi would be more likely than Falcao at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Lucas should be behind Allen and Can in the pecking order this year. Cant believe he started yesterday. Been saying it since last year but would still love to see us go in for Ki. Would be a great addition to have in the squad. He was excellent again against united at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Lucas should be behind Allen and Can in the pecking order this year. Cant believe he started yesterday. Been saying it since last year but would still love to see us go in for Ki. Would be a great addition to have in the squad. He was excellent again against united at the weekend.

Was there any reason Lucas was playing? I was surprised Can wasn't in there to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Finally someone understood the reference!

I'd be very surprised, Monaco are already struggling after 2 defeats in 2, so unless they have a big goals replacement lined up.

Cavani is a little different, but PSG would be expecting a big push on the CL this season - are they under any FFP pressure, after signing Luiz?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd be very surprised, Monaco are already struggling after 2 defeats in 2, so unless they have a big goals replacement lined up.

Cavani is a little different, but PSG would be expecting a big push on the CL this season - are they under any FFP pressure, after signing Luiz?

I'm plenty old to get the reference, still a great kids film too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

NoelJ wrote: »
    Was there any reason Lucas was playing? I was surprised Can wasn't in there to be honest.

I'd say part of it is preperation for the next match as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dont think Can completed a full 90 in pre-season yet (although I could be wrong about that!!) Went off early against Dortmund as well. Probably not match fit. I'd have Allen in instead of Lucas any day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ibra picked up an injury playing for PSG the other night, hes probably going to miss a few weeks so I cant see them selling/loaning Cavani on the back of that.

Can only assume he wasn't 100%, or maybe he's taken a while to settle into our tactical plan in training? We had 2 new defenders in place, maybe Rodgers thought a new CM as well might be too many changes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

tok9 wrote: »
    I felt that was our biggest issue yesterday. Southampton closed both Lucas and Gerrard down quite quickly and when they looked up to pass the ball to the next link in the midfield there was no one there as either Lucas or Gerrard were just behind whichever one had the ball.

Therefore causing Coutinho and Sterling to drop a bit deeper. This is why I feel Allen helped a lot when he came on because he was usually just ahead of Gerrard, giving him that short pass.

I can really see Lallana fitting in the team perfectly. I imagine once he's back we'll have a midfield of Gerrard and Henderson and one of Lallana, Coutinho or Sterling as the attacking of the trio.

Anyway I can't see Lucas and Gerrard starting this weekend anyway.
    Lucas's role was to sit deep beside Gerrard, after the substitution the midfield shape was changed to a diamond so Allen was more advanced.

It is entirely possible that the holding midfielder beside Gerrard is something we will continue to see over the course of this season.

• Advertisement

I'm plenty old to get the reference, still a great kids film too.

I showed the kids that recently, I forgot about Artax dying in the swamp, and how terrifying The Nothing was towards the end! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I didnt see the game but much like last year our midfield sounds so porous and defensively non existent !
    I watched swansea destroy our midfield last year and hoped it been solved but seems not.
    is that our downfall ? and with no Suarez can we 'score more than them '
    Anyway i think city will tell alot !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is there a Liverpool Supporters Group on boards lads?

Talisman wrote: »
    Lucas's role was to sit deep beside Gerrard, after the substitution the midfield shape was changed to a diamond so Allen was more advanced.

It is entirely possible that the holding midfielder beside Gerrard is something we will continue to see over the course of this season.

Yes, that wouldn't surprise me if that was the setup however I don't think it helped us really.

I'd much prefer see Gerrard playing deep and the likes of Henderson, Can, Allen or Lallana providing the energy and link up around the center of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Augmerson wrote: »

Nah, just a bunch of saps.

Fairly sure all groups were gotten rid of a year or so ago, actually.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »

No... it'd be empty anyway after all the saps get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We could start an unofficial supporters group.

All we need is your MySpace name and you're sorted

tok9 wrote: »
    No... it'd be empty anyway after all the saps get banned.

So who is still banned? Agueerrroooooooooooo?

Nuri is gone. Opr is gone. Leiva is gone. Mike is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

A surprise get together for Glen Johnson's birthday from the DM.

1408354628296_wps_1_SnipImage_JPG.jpg

Had to laugh at the one of the comments underneath
    We need to sell Glen Johnson and pay his wages for a world class striker. Btw happy 30th Birthday.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The midfield was very poor at times yesterday. Lucas going off made a huge difference as it meant Gerrard had two mobile players around him in Allen and Henderson rather than trying to play as a pair with Lucas.

The change from 4231 to 433 made a big difference as well.

Was very noticeable how much joy Sterling was getting when he moved to more central positions as well.

There were a number of performances yesterday that had shades of the flaws people have been talking about for a season or two. Granted players will still have plenty of rust on them for another few games, but a few worrying signs. But unlike recent seasons we actually have a bit of cover/competition for those positions so I expect to see two or three changes to the team for the City game.

Was a pity we were so soft in the centre for the game, because I would have loved to have seen us target the gap that Yoshida (or maybe Bertrand) helped create over and over. Time after time Yoshida would be over almost on top of Bertrand, which then caused Fonte to go into where Yoshida should have been. The end result was Clyne trying to cover his own flank as well as the right sided CB position when they other three were slow to move back whenever we switched play. Sterling's goal exploited that gap, or rather Henderson's pass did, but we did not force the issue enough to make use of the gap.

Clyne did nothing to change my mind with regards to hoping he becomes a target for us.

And how good was the save by Mignolet? Between him and Sturridge we got an action replay of sorts of the opening game from last season. Sturridge getting the goal that proved the winner, and Mignolet with the late save to maintain the importance of the goal.

Still not too bad when one can have some complaints about a game but still see his team take all three points. We lost the exact same fixture last season, so an improvement on the points tally is to be welcomed.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The midfield was very poor at times yesterday. Lucas going off made a huge difference as it meant Gerrard had two mobile players around him in Allen and Henderson rather than trying to play as a pair with Lucas.

The change from 4231 to 433 made a big difference as well.

Was very noticeable how much joy Sterling was getting when he moved to more central positions as well.

There were a number of performances yesterday that had shades of the flaws people have been talking about for a season or two. Granted players will still have plenty of rust on them for another few games, but a few worrying signs. But unlike recent seasons we actually have a bit of cover/competition for those positions so I expect to see two or three changes to the team for the City game.

Was a pity we were so soft in the centre for the game, because I would have loved to have seen us target the gap that Yoshida (or maybe Bertrand) helped create over and over. Time after time Yoshida would be over almost on top of Bertrand, which then caused Fonte to go into where Yoshida should have been. The end result was Clyne trying to cover his own flank as well as the right sided CB position when they other three were slow to move back whenever we switched play. Sterling's goal exploited that gap, or rather Henderson's pass did, but we did not force the issue enough to make use of the gap.

Clyne did nothing to change my mind with regards to hoping he becomes a target for us.

And how good was the save by Mignolet? Between him and Sturridge we got an action replay of sorts of the opening game from last season. Sturridge getting the goal that proved the winner, and Mignolet with the late save to maintain the importance of the goal.

Still not too bad when one can have some complaints about a game but still see his team take all three points. We lost the exact same fixture last season, so an improvement on the points tally is to be welcomed.

Mind-The-Gap-Bank.jpg

Kess any rumours of a striker floating around Liverpool?
    Nothing solid at all in the press as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This is not the 70's.

With the dawn of the internet, twitter, facebook, texts, whatsapp etc etc....there is nothing any fans in Liverpool know that the rest of us don't learn at the exact same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Falcao, Cavani or Lavezzi. Heard it in a chippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This is not the 70's.

With the dawn of the internet, twitter, facebook, texts, whatsapp etc etc....there is nothing any fans in Liverpool know that the rest of us don't learn at the exact same time.

Not the taxi drivers... those lads know everything over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

This is not the 70's.

Mr. Alan says no to disco

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8TN1qlLI0UIdGREgBQfcXadYed1pz4LtPGmbM-QYpJO1hvBQLlg

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Not the taxi drivers... those lads know everything over there.

Except the quickest way to get somewhere.

Mr Alan, somewhere along the line, people hear inside info. Maybe it's someone in the club, or the Echo, or another attachment to the club. It is certainly likely that that info would appear in Liverpool briefly before being broadcast on Twitter, although the delay is pretty short I am sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So who is still banned? Agueerrroooooooooooo?

Nuri is gone. Opr is gone. Leiva is gone. Mike is gone.

Turtyturd is gone too but then who cares about that sap.
    Aside from the Arsenal fans.
    This is not the 70's.

You forgot teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just a note on Clattenburg yesterday, had a good game but I though he could have given us a couple more decisions

Same stuff is floating about locally as what you will be able to find online I imagine.

Clyne and Walcott are the only two local rumours that I have heard this summer, that I have not really seen much of elsewhere.

To be fair there are very few proper ITKs when it comes to rumours. You will see some people trying to push the name of one journo over another, but most journos don't have close links with the club.

Have gotten to know a couple journos over the years through the HJC, one of whom did my uncle's story for the paper, and they feed on the same scraps most of the time as the rest of us.

The guy to keep an eye on, imho, is Jim Pearce. He is a really nice guy irl, but has gotten more direct access to the club since Rodgers came in. I tend to keep an eye on what he says more than most other journos.

Just a note on Clattenburg yesterday, had a good game but I though he could have given us a couple more decisions

Think the Southampton supporters could say the same tbh.

Thought he had a decent game, and that he really did not get much wrong.

The real stand out mistake (that went against us) was the foul on Sturridge just outside the box, but did not know that was a mistake until I saw some highlights last night.

There were a few clumsy moments from Lucas that I thought went our way so the decisions probably evened themselves out over the course of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Ok fair enough, I thought there was a push on Sterling aswell that went unpunished but I'd have to see it again

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The real stand out mistake (that went against us) was the foul on Sturridge just outside the box, but did not know that was a mistake until I saw some highlights last night.

That was an odd one, he was signalling that the incident was outside the box. That would tell me that it's not a peno, and the tackle was outside. But he never blew for a foul. Why signal at all if there is no foul?

I think that confused the players around him as well.

Other than that I thought he was great, really tried to keep the game moving but letting the advantage being played....although both teams I think were wanting a breather and a free.

Ok fair enough, I thought there was a push on Sterling aswell that went unpunished but I'd have to see it again

There could well have been. Would imagine that anyone who watched the game live on tv would have seen more incidents and been able to see the replays as they were shown.

Trying to remember a push on Sterling that happened near where I was sitting, and all I can remember is a shoulder to shoulder with Clyne that Sterling lost. May well have been a blatant push elsewhere on the pitch that the ref missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That was an odd one, he was signalling that the incident was outside the box. That would tell me that it's not a peno, and the tackle was outside. But he never blew for a foul. Why signal at all if there is no foul?

Other than that I thought he was great, really tried to keep the game moving but letting the advantage being played....although both teams I think were wanting a breather and a free.

I think the ref was signaling that the player got a small piece of the ball first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

As much as I would like a shiny new first team striker for me it is all about who we can sign in Midfield

We have several options in every postion and can address a striker in january if needs be ,but IN midfield we are incredibly light

Our various systems will play 3 from
    Gerard
    Lucas
    Allen
    Henderson
    Can
    Lallana

Gerard ,while still first name on the team sheet for me will not be able to play 50+ games this season
    Lucas ,imo to all intensive purposes is finished ,can barely last 45 mins once a week these days
    Allen, fine player but has missed a lot of games every year
    Hendo, Perfect
    Can ,Unkown how he will perform
    Lallana, not sure how he will perform in the mid three and how he will combine with the others (Will he play in the front three from Sturridge,Coutinho,Sterlin,Markovic,Borini)

For me a replacment of the player Lucas was 3-4 seasons ago is a must at whatever the cost and far more important than a striker.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I think the ref was signaling that the player got a small piece of the ball first.

That would make a whole lot of sense. Cheers for clearing that up!

TBH when I saw it happen I thought he was giving a signal to say that Sturridge went down easy. Was not until later that night when I saw the highlights that it became clear that Sturridge was fouled and that the ref seemed to be giving the signal that the foul was outside the box. Then I twigged that he was trying to signal that he thought the defender got a touch on the ball.

Having said that, there were a couple of times when both Johnson and Skrtel were doing a lot of pulling and dragging off the ball and I was full sure one of them was going to get the attention of the ref.

As much as I would like a shiny new first team striker for me it is all about who we can sign in Midfield

We have several options in every postion and can address a striker in january if needs be ,but IN midfield we are incredibly light

Gerard
    Lucas
    Allen
    Henderson
    Can
    Lallana

Gerard ,while still first name on the team sheet for me will not be able to play 50+ games this season
    Lucas ,imo to all intensive purposes is finished ,can barely last 45 mins once a week these days
    Hendo, Perfect
    Lallana, not sure how he will perform in the mid three and how he will combine with the others (Will he play in the front three from Sturridge,Coutinho,Sterlin,Markovic,Borini)

For me a replacment of the player Lucas was 3-4 seasons ago is a must at whatever the cost and far more important than a striker.

We really were lacking in the centre for stages of the game alright. Lucas offered nothing at all, and the guy looks completely shot at EPL level. Am hoping that Rafa tries for him as I think the Italian league's slower pace might suit Lucas.

Putting Lucas and Gerrard together I think was a bit of an experiment or maybe a shop window for Lucas thing. But it could have backfired badly as Wanyama and Schneiderlin were superior on the day, and both Gerrard and Lucas stood off when Clyne made his run into the box for his goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Gerard
    Lucas
    Allen
    Henderson
    Can
    Lallana

Hendo, Perfect

Don't forget about Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic who can all play as part of a midfield 3.

Yesterday we lined up very defensively. I'm sure we will see more attacking line ups in the fututre, especially at home.

• Advertisement

This is not the 70's.

Well.....sometimes you never know.

tumblr_m5cr2uKczt1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

billy2012 wrote: »
    Don't forget about Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic who can all play as part of a midfield 3.

Yesterday we lined up very defensively. I'm sure we will see more attacking line ups in the fututre, especially at home.

I think if someone like Can had started alongside Gerrard instead of Lucas that we would have been that bit more solid.

Can would have added mobility, physicality, and pace. Three things that Lucas cannot offer anymore, and it would have prevented our midfield pairing from being one paced.

Still cannot fathom as to why Rodgers waited until the first competitve game of the season to switch to 4321 and also to use Lucas and Gerrard as a pairing. But may just be something that he had to try, and better to try something like that against Southampton than against a Chelsea or Man City (no disrespect meant to the Saints.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the chalkboards are up for yesterdays game

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169143-lfc-2-1-southampton-opta-chalkboards?

Gerrard and Lucas - crab-like use of the ball, esp the latter.

I think if someone like Can had started alongside Gerrard instead of Lucas that we would have been that bit more solid.

Can would have added mobility, physicality, and pace. Three things that Lucas cannot offer anymore, and it would have prevented our midfield pairing from being one paced.

Still cannot fathom as to why Rodgers waited until the first competitve game of the season to switch to 4321 and also to use Lucas and Gerrard as a pairing. But may just be something that he had to try, and better to try something like that against Southampton than against a Chelsea or Man City (no disrespect meant to the Saints.)

I mentioned it earlier, but I believe the 2 DMs where prep for the City game. Also, first game of the year and make things a bit more controlled rather than full on attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I see Markovic is back and available for the city game.

Any news on Lallana being available?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement