Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

El Inho wrote: »
    Imo when a striker scores when playing muck he's a great striker.

That's a non-sensical soundbite if ever I've heard one! :P

So what happens when you've a striker who plays very well AND scores? Super great?!

Sturridge was poor at the weekend, but bagged us an important goal.

It's worrying that Coutinho was doubled up on and it effectively took him out of the game entirely. If he is to be the level we need him to be and many on here profess him to be already, he needs to be able to live with that. How many times last season do you reckon Suarez had 2,3,4 lads on him?

Sterling was the real bright spark at the weekend to be honest, other than him everyone else was poor to slightly above average. But it's the first game of the season and I'll take a win in any form it comes in!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Analysis of Liverpool v Southampton on MNF for those that missed it

Kess im assuming this is ok to post ? Apologies if not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Only thing I'm reading on the net is that we are still pursuing the Falcao loan deal but it's down to Real Madrid saying they're not interested in him first.

The player wants to go to Real Madrid, they only want a loan deal, Monaco only want to sell to Madrid or nothing and we're waiting on stand by with Juventus now offering competition to take him on loan.

Seems more hassle then it's worth and we should forget about it.

Cavani is supposed to be plan B! I'd say this should now be made plan A.

Eto should be plan Z. (Apparently he's holding out for an offer from Arsenal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thought Sturridge played well on Sunday. Held up the ball very well, but he was starved of service.

Coutinho was snuffed out, but we completely failed to exploit the space that was there on the flanks while Coutinho was being crowded. That's because Johnson was appalling, Manquillo wasn't doing much going forward and. Sterling and Henderson were too narrow

Paul Joyce in the Express this morning saying Liverpool are prepared to pay £20m for Falcao loan deal. I assume that includes wages.
    For those asking me, Falcao to Liverpool more likely than Cavani IMO. Latter will not happen. Certainly not following Ibrahimovic injury.

I am not saying that I think Falcao to Liverpool will happen, simply that it is more likely than Cavani. Latter was never going to happen.

From Jonathan Johnson Ligue 1 & French football journalist, also presents PSG TV
    Falcao dropped last night for the 4-1 loss and Berbatov started instead. He did come on with 28 mins to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Mr Alan wrote: »

So what happens when you've a striker who plays very well AND scores? Super great?!

If he scores every second game with the odd extra while playing poor I would consider him a great striker yeah. Its the ability to pull it out of his ass. I know roles change in the modern game, but no one cares about the sweeper keeper who leaks goals. He's measured by concerned goals just like a striker is measured by scoring them.

And yes, super great would be the correct term :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's worrying that Coutinho was doubled up on and it effectively took him out of the game entirely. If he is to be the level we need him to be and many on here profess him to be already, he needs to be able to live with that. How many times last season do you reckon Suarez had 2,3,4 lads on him?

Sterling was the real bright spark at the weekend to be honest, other than him everyone else was poor to slightly above average. But it's the first game of the season and I'll take a win in any form it comes in!

I think Cout suffered a bit from the general disarray that was our midfield.

I don't think he really was ever able to get into the situations and positions that allow him to get on the ball and do his thing.

I would personally like to see him deeper, alongside Henderson, in a more influencing role when that option becomes available

Its the first game of the season. Im not worried about Coutinho in any way based on 90 mins against SHampton. If in 6 games time he is still ineffective then drop him and play one of our many other options, thats why we have a strong squad, our first 11 no longer are all guaranteed starters. He was also double marked because we more or less played with 10 men because Lucas was at sea for the whole game. Outside of Sturridge Gerrard and Mingolet but that will change before the window closes, at least for Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

With all the talk of strikers, I hope this is the one area a bit of leeway is given on charchter. Strikers need a certain air of arrogance and madness about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Falcao dropped last night for the 4-1 loss and Berbatov started instead. He did come on with 28 mins to go

Are they not taking it easy with him on return from injury?

All the noise seems to be coming from the English papers, I think any French reports are driven from that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we are willing to pay £10m for a season loan for Falcao it's a ballsy move. Fit and firing he is a ridiculously good striker probably the best out there. The addition of him would transform us from top 4 contenders to title challengers.

In the words of kevin keegan I would love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dickerty wrote: »
    Are they not taking it easy with him on return from injury?

All the noise seems to be coming from the English papers, I think any French reports are driven from that...

Exactly, he came off the bench in their opener and scored too. Lazy journo it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Think Cout had a bit more joy when Allen came on, the whole pace of the game changed at that point, it's the Lucas factor again. Everything is just so slow, any pass he managed was a 5 yarder which means someone had tocome back and sorry him every time.

This gave Sunderland tune to organise themselves and get around Cout.

We made it easy for them and were lucky to come away with a win. I really hope he's sold

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Think Cout had a bit more joy when Allen came on, the whole pace of the game changed at that point, it's the Lucas factor again. Everything is just so slow, any pass he managed was a 5 yarder which means someone had tocome back and sorry him every time.

We made it easy for them and were lucky to come away with a win. I really hope he's sold

Sunderland sure have changed :P

Lucas and Gerrard in the middle is fat too defensive, Allen/Can beside henderson will be the best going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Sunderland?.. did we play a second game at the weekend? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Falcao would be an absolutely bonkers signing given his stature in world football and the fee involved. How long has it been since we've been even in the ballpark of being able to buy a world class striker?

Falcao would be an absolutely bonkers signing given his stature in world football and the fee involved. How long has it been since we've been even in the ballpark of being able to buy a world class striker?

Bonkers good, right ?
    Only thing I will say is his age, the injury he is just coming back from and moving to a new country then its not a guaranteed 25+ goals a season signing for me. Could take him a few months to get up to speed in the premiership. It is a huge statement of intent from the club however if they were to land him. Would make us favourites for 3rd surely and outside title contenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

With all the talk of strikers, I hope this is the one area a bit of leeway is given on charchter. Strikers need a certain air of arrogance and madness about them

Completely agree. That's why I'm not opposed to Eto'o coming in. Especially as he's not going to be 1st choice.

If the window closed and we only got Eto'o I'd say it's not ideal but at least we got another body in, but... if we got Falcao aswell... then I'd say let's fúck shít up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

kfallon wrote: »
    Riedle was good, always liked him!

Diomede never even got a chance, did he get injured not long after he was bought or was it just Houllier didn't fancy him?

On the only league game Diomede started he scored a superb overhead kick against Sunderland that wasn't given. That's all I remember him for.

• Advertisement

Thought Sturridge played well on Sunday. Held up the ball very well, but he was starved of service.

Coutinho was snuffed out, but we completely failed to exploit the space that was there on the flanks while Coutinho was being crowded. That's because Johnson was appalling, Manquillo wasn't doing much going forward and. Sterling and Henderson were too narrow

That's funny, I thought Sturridge was quite poor bar his goal.

Southampton played Coutinho well and unless we add quality up top it'll really come back to bite us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Only thing I'm reading on the net is that we are still pursuing the Falcao loan deal but it's down to Real Madrid saying they're not interested in him first.

The player wants to go to Real Madrid, they only want a loan deal, Monaco only want to sell to Madrid or nothing and we're waiting on stand by with Juventus now offering competition to take him on loan.

Seems more hassle then it's worth and we should forget about it.

Cavani is supposed to be plan B! I'd say this should now be made plan A.

Eto should be plan Z. (Apparently he's holding out for an offer from Arsenal)

So the player we want on loan wants Real, but Real aren't getting him because they want him on loan. I don't see how we have a chance of getting him on the same terms as Real when the player prefers them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Sappy404 wrote: »
    So the player we want on loan wants Real, but Real aren't getting him because they want him on loan. I don't see how we have a chance of getting him on the same terms as Real when the player prefers them.

I think it's more to do that they need to get rid of a non EU player from what I've read rather than a problem with a loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

gafferino wrote: »

Wow. Jordan showed unbelievable courage and mentality to go out and perform how he did after hearing that. Glad to hear the club were so supportive too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rarnes1 wrote: »

Just dropping too deep, MOTD2 did a bit of analysis on it after, playing as the wide forward a lot. He'd link up with a Falcao really well but that's just fantasy stuff, can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I still believe Hendo could potentially end up as captain

@Jon_LeGossip
    L'Equipe: Real & PSG have an agreement in principle over the loan of Angel Di Maria, but the sticking point is the final price.

This chap is a French journalist, works for PSG among other outlets. Di Maria to PSG Could see Lavezzi or Cavani making way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Morzadec wrote: »
    I think Cout suffered a bit from the general disarray that was our midfield.

I don't think he really was ever able to get into the situations and positions that allow him to get on the ball and do his thing.

I would personally like to see him deeper, alongside Henderson, in a more influencing role when that option becomes available

Hendo was playing out wide whatawaster and wasted because of it (even though his assist started out there).

nqctmq.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169143-lfc-2-1-southampton-opta-chalkboards

Liverpool need to keep the default attacking midfield formation narrow with the width coming from the full backs right now.

The basic front to back tactic should be CB-->Gerrard-->Can-->Coutinho with Hendo and Sterling running off Sturridge as the full backs push up the inside wide channels

Mignolet
    Manquillo--Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
    Gerrard
    Shield/quarterback (ugh!)
    Hendo---Can
    Engine room
    Sterling--Coutinho
    Creatives
    Sturridge
    Finishing school

In attack mode.

Mignolet
    Skrtel-Lovren-
    Gerrard
    Can
    Coutinho
    - Manquillo----Sterling---Moreno
    ----Hendo----Sturridge

@Jon_LeGossip

This chap is a French journalist, works for PSG among other outlets. Di Maria to PSG Could see Lavezzi or Cavani making way.

Same guy that I quoted above talking about Falcao to LFC and that it wouldnt suprise him. He says there is no chance he could see Cavani leaving especially now that Zlatan is injured

Same guy that I quoted above talking about Falcao to LFC and that it wouldnt suprise him. He says there is no chance he could see Cavani leaving especially now that Zlatan is injured

I think that was before the latest di Maria stuff was reported by L'Equipe. He said this yesterday:

@Jon_LeGossip
    Does an Ibrahimovic injury mean both Cavani & Lavezzi stay at PSG? No. Pocho could still go, but claims of French media reporting deal false

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »

Southampton played Coutinho well and unless we add quality up top it'll really come back to bite us.

Thats where lallanna and markovich would have come in sunday when cou was struggling, we finally have options to change and influence a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hendo was playing out wide whatawaster and wasted because of it (even though his assist started out there).

nqctmq.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169143-lfc-2-1-southampton-opta-chalkboards

Liverpool need to keep the default attacking midfield formation narrow with the width coming from the full backs right now.

The basic front to back tactic should be CB-->Gerrard-->Can-->Coutinho with Hendo and Sterling running off Sturridge as the full backs push up the inside wide channels

Mignolet
    Manquillo--Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
    Gerrard
    Shield/quarterback (ugh!)
    Hendo---Can
    Engine room
    Sterling--Coutinho
    Creatives
    Sturridge
    Finishing school

In attack mode.

Mignolet
    Skrtel-Lovren-
    Gerrard
    Can
    Coutinho
    - Manquillo----Sterling---Moreno
    ----Hendo----Sturridge

But the width wasn't coming from the full backs, because Johnson is no longer capable and Manquillo was on debut and naturally was focussed on the defensive side of things.

It was therefore up to Henderson and Sterling to give us creativity in wide positions which I don't think they did enough of. I don't know why Henderson and Coutinho weren't switched. Let them double mark Henderson if they want and leave Coutinho with space out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

SM01 wrote: »
    Interesting analysis on the decline of Lucas since his injury from Andrew Beasley's site:
    http://basstunedtored.com/2014/08/18/lucas-tackling-decline/

Interesting? I've read the first paragraph, and already the analysis is flawed as it contends lucas made not one tackle. There was one "tackle" where both he and Schneiderlin smashed each other and Lucas went back about 5 foot. From that point to his substitution he was out of the game (afaicr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's simple really - Real have too many of those pesky foreigner types in their squad. Their solution is to offload one of them (Di Maria). The headache for them is that the only club that have actively shown an interest in him, PSG, are hamstrung by FFP rules and can't afford the player without offloading somebody in their squad. Hence the speculation about Cavani and Lavezzi leaving - both were linked with Liverpool and a host of other clubs.

The injury to Ibrahimovic has thrown into doubt whether Cavani will be allowed to leave PSG.

If Di Maria stays at Madrid, then Falcao is available to go elsewhere. So if Liverpool are in for him it will most likely be done on the transfer deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Out of the country with no internet since last Wednesday - can anyone give me a transfer update?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tusky wrote: »
    Out of the country with no internet since last Wednesday - can anyone give me a transfer update?

Nothing really to report, we are looking for a striker and also a backup keeper which i think is Romero for 2.5 odd mill or less.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Nothing really to report, we are looking for a striker and also a backup keeper which i think is Romero for 2.5 odd mill or less.

Ilori officially out on loan, good chance that Coates will be sold or part of a deal to bring in someone (rumours of him for Romero to Sampdoria, although I think Coates is worth considerably more)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I think that was before the latest di Maria stuff was reported by L'Equipe. He said this yesterday:

@Jon_LeGossip

I just cant buy in to the idea of Cavani or Falcao coming to Liverpool. Much as I would love it.
    Its a pity there isnt a few more players of quality available as I dont think those two would want to come to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Central defender Tiago Ilori has spoken out after his loan move from Liverpool to Bordeaux. He had the following to say:
    “I am here to help the team. Personally speaking, I have contract with Liverpool and I hope to be able to return there next season. Before that, I want to help the Girondins and I will do everything I can for this team. I will give my best. I saw the game at the Stade Chaban-Delmas. It was very impressive. The team had a huge victory.”

Good to hear that Ilori is still very determined to make it at Liverpool. Some players being loaned out for nearly 2 seasons might want to move on. I still think he can be an excellent defender for us.

• Advertisement

Oh, Teixeira out on loan as well, to Big Sami's Brighton...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Tusky wrote: »
    Falcao currently in Melwood for a medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But the width wasn't coming from the full backs, because Johnson is no longer capable and Manquillo was on debut and naturally was focussed on the defensive side of things.

It was therefore up to Henderson and Sterling to give us creativity in wide positions which I don't think they did enough of. I don't know why Henderson and Coutinho weren't switched. Let them double mark Henderson if they want and leave Coutinho with space out wide.

Hendo was played wide and is not creative. Coutinho is creative but not a wide man. The Brazilian was sold a pup thanks to the Lucas/Gerrard deep pairing, which is why I want to see that 1-2-2-1 formation back. If you use the chalkboards you can see that Coutinhos work shifted right in the second half but it didn't help him become more influential really. As for the full backs, sure it was a problem on Sunday but hopefully one that'll be sorted soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hendo was played wide and is not creative. Coutinho is creative but not a wide man. The Brazilian was sold a pup thanks to the Lucas/Gerrard deep pairing, which is why I want to see that 1-2-2-1 formation back. If you use the chalkboards you can see that Coutinhos work shifted right in the second half but it didn't help him become more influential really. As for the full backs, sure it was a problem on Sunday but hopefully one that'll be sorted soon enough.

Couthinho would have been fine in the formation that was played if he had more support from Lucas/Gerrard.

IMO it has to be either a 4-2-3-1 with Sterling and Markovic/Lallana wide of Couthinho and Henderson/Allen alongisde Gerrard or the 4-3-3 that was used last season

slingerz wrote: »
    Couthinho would have been fine in the formation that was played if he had more support from Lucas/Gerrard.

He also needs to accept that he'll have players hunting him down, he needs to work out how to still be effective, and how that creates space for others. Wanyama was given the task of watching the #10 spot, which was primarily Coutinho, so that should have left room for Hendo and/or Sterling to support Danny through the middle, as it did with the first goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Sure Suarez was signed so I don't think LFC are too fussed over the strikers they sign . He was banned for biting before LFC signed him so it says the club will buy a striker with history of madness in them .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

gafferino wrote: »
    I just cant buy in to the idea of Cavani or Falcao coming to Liverpool. Much as I would love it.
    Its a pity there isnt a few more players of quality available as I dont think those two would want to come to Liverpool.
    Talisman wrote: »
    It's simple really - Real have too many of those pesky foreigner types in their squad. Their solution is to offload one of them (Di Maria). The headache for them is that the only club that have actively shown an interest in him, PSG, are hamstrung by FFP rules and can't afford the player without offloading somebody in their squad. Hence the speculation about Cavani and Lavezzi leaving - both were linked with Liverpool and a host of other clubs.

The injury to Ibrahimovic has thrown into doubt whether Cavani will be allowed to leave PSG.

If Di Maria stays at Madrid, then Falcao is available to go elsewhere. So if Liverpool are in for him it will most likely be done on the transfer deadline.

I reckon Lavezzi would leave before Cavani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just to potentially save some people from reading that article, this is one of the opening lines:
    The Argentinian livewire, linked with Liverpool, has a tattoo of a pistol but his shooting with a football is awful.

Such journalism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement