Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't understand why people are humming and hawing about this one. You've all been complaining about Suarez not being replaced. Here, we're talking about bringing in a truly world class striker. I really think he'd be a star in our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Monaco look like they are going to follow Anzhi, Malaga, Blackburn Rvs, Reading etc in a long list of clubs raised and felled by flaky owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

If Falcao is available you bloody sign him, money shouldn't be even taken into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Monaco look like they are going to follow Anzhi, Malaga, Blackburn Rvs, Reading etc in a long list of clubs raised and felled by flaky owners.

There owner has to pay out 3 Billion in a divorce settlement.

No wonder he wants Falcao out.

If Falcao is available you bloody sign him, money shouldn't be even taken into consideration.

H & G's ownership of the club say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't understand why people are humming and hawing about this one. You've all been complaining about Suarez not being replaced. Here, we're talking about bringing in a truly world class striker. I really think he'd be a star in our team.

If the club think they can afford him I don't see the problem at all, and I'd tend to be cautious with stuff like this!

The Sahin loan fee IIRC was £2 Million but there was rumours it was about £5 Million.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This

10m loan fee plus 10m in wages for a world class striker, its a lot of money but his impact over one season would far outweigh what Eto'o or Bony could ever do for us.

If he can keep us up there challenging for the season and retain CL qualification he is worth every penny.

You are talking about one of the most natural goal scorers I have ever seen, an absolute superstar joining our squad. If a deal can be done I hope the club make it happen. They would understand the cost of any deal before even enquiring so its more about convincing the player is the sticking point IMO. None of this has been denied by the club so far so it gives me hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Said it a few weeks back, the deal makes sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

There owner has to pay out 3 Billion in a divorce settlement.

Jesus H Christ, 3 billion!?

I think the Blackburn owner passed away so maybe doesn't deserve to be included amongst the likes of Anzhi and Malaga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Knex. wrote: »
    Said it a few weeks back, the deal makes sense to me.

With FFP there is a short list of clubs who can afford a £200k a week striker also, us been one of them.

Bringing Eto'o in on 135k a week would cause much more problems than bringing in Falcao on 200k per week, the squad would recognise the level of quality he would bring for that sort of wage. Eto'o would simply be back up been paid twice what our first choice striker is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Nice stuff Sterling!

Incidently, I suggested us going in for Berahino towards the end of last season, when he was at odds with some of the players there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

But but but we don't need a striker :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

redzerdrog wrote: »
    But but but we don't need a striker :confused:

Falcao as a DM?

rob316 wrote: »
    Bringing Eto'o in on 135k a week would cause much more problems than bringing in Falcao on 200k per week, the squad would recognise the level of quality he would bring for that sort of wage. Eto'o would simply be back up been paid twice what our first choice striker is.

I agree on the sentiment, but I suspect we wouldn't give Eto'o more than half of that. And Falcao would have a loan fee as well. So it's many times more for this season.

However, in terms of what he should bring, I don't we'd get to May and say "That was a waste of money"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

... premier league roundup thingie...
    9 tackles by Wanyama and 19 clearances by Skrtel sum up the match quite well. Bullied in midfield and panic stations at the back for much of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Sign Falcao and we are in with a chance of winning the league IMO.

Gerrard deserves it, could well be his last season as a guaranteed starter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

billy2012 wrote: »
    Sign Falcao and we are in with a chance of winning the league IMO.

Gerrard deserves it, could well be his last season as a guaranteed starter.

I think that may have been last season...

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Falcao as a DM?

And Reus at LB!

Simples...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's the question about whether you should get a brilliant player if he's available and worry about trying to sort the tactics out later.

If we sign a CF either we're discommoding Sturridge and playing in a formation that the manager would rather not play with or else we have an expensive player not giving any value to the team by sitting on the bench. That seems to rule players like Bony out out of hand - they're certainly not good enough to be worth the hassle.

With the sheer quality of a Falcao or a Cavani it's a much tougher decision. Does that quality outweigh them not being the optimum age, not playing in the position that we need and the massive cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

spockety wrote: »
    I think that may have been last season...

I don't...Think most people with any KOP on would agree!!

Did you see him 2nd half of the season?? Quality!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

4th place is not a guarantee this year by a long way. The ideal situation we could be in is the Arsenal of a few years back, building a stadium for extra revenue and still finishing top 4 every year, I hate them but they did it very very well.

If £20m would get us Falcao for a year on top of the increased commercial revenue, Suarez money, and TV money, I think it's very good business. He shouldn't be compared to what else we could do with £20m, he should be compared to the likelihood of getting top 4 THIS season to ensure another CL entry so as to keep everything ticking over as the stadium gets expanded.

I think there's few players out there available who would genuinely make a difference between Liverpool being a top 4 maybe-candidate and a top 4 likely-candidate. With him in the squad I'd be disappointed with 5th.

It's a gamble. I'd rather gamble the £20m now to help get over the line in terms of another year of CL football than gamble with what we have on the books right now in order to save the £20m this year.

I in no way think signing Falcao is likely, I'm just saying I'm not agreeing with the arguments that it's a bad deal at that price. Yes if we got a good striker on a long term contract for £20m total it would be better, however don't underestimate the opportunity presented by being a CL football club. It was tough and long road to get there, even harder to keep qualifying year on year. For this year at least, I'd rather a £20m Falcao than a £9 Remy

Augmerson wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ, 3 billion!?

£2.7b, €3.4b or $4.5b the worlds biggest divorce settlement.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/20/as-monaco-owner-ordered-to-pay-4-5-billion-in-most-expensive-divorce-in-history/

So in a way, his ex wife is paying half of Falcao's salary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If the €20m includes wages, and there's a clause to cancel the deal in case of serious injury, then the Falcao thing is a no-brainer. As was said, factor in the yearly cost of the transfer fee of similar player over a 5-year deal, and we're doing quite well.

Still, I think as soon as Madrid shift Di Maria, they'll swoop for him so all will be for naught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^ And that is exactly the attitude which leads to Leeds/Blackburn/Portsmouth type financial meltdowns.

Money can never ever be ignored. Thankfully we are in safe hands with FSG.

I don't know what's worse, the Falcao rumours or the people believing it

BenThere wrote: »
    ^^^ And that is exactly the attitude which leads to Leeds/Blackburn/Portsmouth type financial meltdowns.

Money can never ever be ignored. Thankfully we are in safe hands with FSG.
    The kind of financial outlay we're talking about here isn't massive in the context of the extra money from CL football and the Suarez transfer.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't know what's worse, the Falcao rumours or the people believing it
    There's a lot of rubbish being posted, but this is one of the rumours that does actually make sense given the current situation and where these rumours appear to have been emanating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Still think that one from Higuain or Walcott is the target now, with Eto'o as the fall back.

My own preferences are at Bayer and Dortmund though.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Still think that one from Higuain or Walcott is the target now, with Eto'o as the fall back.

My own preferences are at Bayer and Dortmund though.

Walcott? No way Arsenal would sell him to us!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

For the right price. 30m sterling.

And 1 pound.

They have shown that they have no problem selling players to direct rivals when the price is right.

Chelsea
    Man City
    Man U

Agger plus cash going to Arsenal or Napoli in exchange for Walcott or Higuain? Not beyond the bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

They have shown that they have no problem selling players to direct rivals when the price is right.

Chelsea
    Man City
    Man U

Agger plus cash going to Arsenal or Napoli in exchange for Walcott or Higuain? Not beyond the bounds.

Napoli also interested in Lucas
    Lucas & Agger + 5-10m for Higuain, yes please! All day long

Chelsea
    Man City
    Man U

I'd be shocked if they sold to us after the Suarez debacle.

As I said eariler depending on Napoli getting into or not getting into the CL I could see deals involving Agger & Lucas and then maybe Higuain coming this way.

I'd be shocked if they sold to us after the Suarez debacle.

Think if Arsenal are willing to sell a player, then past dealings with a club does not come into it with them.

They have had no problems dealing with Barca over the years despite all the crap that came with the Fabergas move.

Think if Arsenal are willing to sell a player, then past dealings with a club does not come into it with them.

They have had no problems dealing with Barca over the years despite all the crap that came with the Fabergas move.

Fair enough but I'd still be gobsmacked if it signed him.

He's certainly fit our setup though, that's for sure

Fair enough but I'd still be gobsmacked if it signed him.

He's certainly fit our setup though, that's for sure

Would be surprised myself, and he would not be cheap. Think he would be a nice fit for us alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Chelsea
    Man City
    Man U

Will Walcott be fit enough to pass a medical by the end of the month? I thought he was still out injured after tearing his ACL and even if he is just about ready to play I'd still be concerned that the injury may have robbed him of some pace and Walcott without that out and out speed would be a very different player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

U21s akshun tonight 7 pm

Liverpool U21s line-up v Sunderland : Ward, Randall, Stewart, Jones, Williams, Rossiter, McLaughlin, Lussey, Peterson, Brannagan, Ojo

subs Maguire, Vigouroux, Wilson, Trickett Smith, Yesil

two right backs playing! I'm going to assume McLaughlin is playing a the wide right attacker.

2q2hc1w.jpg

BenThere wrote: »
    Will Walcott be fit enough to pass a medical by the end of the month? I thought he was still out injured after tearing his ACL and even if he is just about ready to play I'd still be concerned that the injury may have robbed him of some pace and Walcott without that out and out speed would be a very different player.

Actually I had totally forgotten he was injured and what his injury was. A bad ACL injury can be ruin the mobility and pace of a slower paced player let alone a speed merchant like Walcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Walcott would be a perfect signing but not a hope of it happening.

Higuain as a 1 in 2 goal scorer who has done at every level and still only 26 it would be very hard to turn down if a deal can be done.

He may not have the greatest of pace but he is a born goal scorer and a clever player who could fit into our team.

Higuain as a 1 in 2 goal scorer who has done at every level and still only 26 it would be very hard to turn down if a deal can be done.

He may not have the greatest of pace but he is a born goal scorer and a clever player who could fit into our team.

I reckon that he is a quality goalscorer, and do believe that he may be a target, but I cannot help but think that he is not versatile enough a player for Rodgers.

Am hoping that if we buy a quality forward this window, that we get one that can play when Sturridge is out, but who is also capable of playing in the same team as Sturridge be it as a second sriker or as a wide forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I thought the Falcao boat had sailed. Didn't James Pearce already say we were told he's not for sale.

Kess, why do you say Higuan? Just curious as again, he's another player who only joined a year ago. Would just seem odd for him to move so quick and if I remember right he cost a nice bit too.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I thought the Falcao boat had sailed. Didn't James Pearce already say we were told he's not for sale.

Kess, why do you say Higuan? Just curious as again, he's another player who only joined a year ago. Would just seem odd for him to move so quick and if I remember right he cost a nice bit too.

Just seen and heard his name pop up a lot amongst folks who I pay attention to.

As for him being there a year, well Lovern was only a year at Southampton so such moves do happen from time to time.

I reckon that he is a quality goalscorer, and do believe that he may be a target, but I cannot help but think that he is not versatile enough a player for Rodgers.

Am hoping that if we buy a quality forward this window, that we get one that can play when Sturridge is out, but who is also capable of playing in the same team as Sturridge be it as a second sriker or as a wide forward.

Sturridge does deserve to be the number striker but he is a very versatile himself who can/could have the freerole play around Higuain being down the middle.

If Higuain does happen to join it may take them a couple of games to get an understanding of each others run and lines but I think they are both clever enough to manage it.

Of all the strikers we have been linked with Higuain might be the easiest to get if Napoli get knocked out of the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

He didn't have a great game against United, albeit he did play a big part in both goals, but Bony is still the most realistic target for me. I have a feeling he'll drop his wage demands and the deal will get done before the window shuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

'I am quite an intelligent guy,' he says. 'I talk with my team-mates, my friends. They know I am strong and that if they put it in the right place I will get there. I am not a running player, running right and left.

'I like to use my power.'

Wilfried Bony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"I'm a lazy bollocks"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement