Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

rob316 wrote: »
    I've said before if Rodgers/Peters could get Balotelli under control the upside for €25m is huge. He has everything to be a world class striker.

I don't think he would effect team moral, from what you hear he's a good guy just a bit troubled.
    The managerial turnover at a club like Milan wont help him either, a strong stable manager would.

Well if he shot darts are our academy players, got sent off in important matches because he is a hot head who cant control himself or if he started a training ground brawl (again) with his manager im sure that would have an impact on morale. Far more trouble than he is worth and he would not take kindly to not starting every game, which he wont nor shouldnt at LIverpool.

This for me sums him up, a manchild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I've said before if Rodgers/Peters could get Balotelli under control the upside for €25m is huge. He has everything to be a world class striker.

I don't think he would effect team moral, from what you hear he's a good guy just a bit troubled.
    The managerial turnover at a club like Milan wont help him either, a strong stable manager would.

Easy to call to mind the positives he'd bring 'if' this and 'if' that. The most distinctive thing I can remember about his time at Man City was thinking, 'thank god it's not Liverpool paying this lad £100k+ a week on a 5 year deal'.

His past behaviour is the reason I don't believe that report. If we were interested surely we would have insisted on a loan for a year first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    But Di Marzio(Very reliable with Italian football) reported that Balotelli had a long meeting with his agent yesterday

Mino Raiola, the super agent who's job it is to get moves for players, and make a hunk of cash for himself. Might explain who the player moves so much.

Also represents Zlatan - again, an agent's wet dream with all the moves...

Except the mentality to want it. It all comes too easy for him, and he doesn't put in the effort. I cannot see him being a positive influence, and he doesn't score enough goals (about 1 in 2.6 games) for that kind of outlay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Has he done much crazy lately? All I ever see in the papers is him and his fine Mrs with there clothes off. He is 24 now, I would hope he has grown up a bit.

Im not saying go sign im just saying the upside is huge.

Has he done much crazy lately? All I ever see in the papers is him and his fine Mrs with there clothes off. He is 24 now, I would hope he has grown up a bit.

Im not saying go sign im just saying the upside is huge.

I think the club would rather take a 'risk' on someone like Markovic, who's clearly wants it badly and we can develop. They won't upset the apple-cart with a player who's had issues before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It makes no sense, it would surely end in disaster but I vote yes on proposition Balotelli.

Sure it'd be a bit of craic for a while at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does anyone think Rodgers would have bought Suarez had he been at the club in Jan 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Does anyone think Rodgers would have bought Suarez had he been at the club in Jan 2011?

Yeah.

Suarez is almost the antithesis to Balotelli.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah.

Suarez is almost the antithesis to Balotelli.

He was sitting out a 7 match ban at the time having just bitten someone....

He was sitting out a 9 match ban at the time having just bitten someone....

Not the same at all, though.

Suarez's will to win, his desire, his workrate, is all frightening. Rodgers loved that about him.

Balotelli's is as patchy as it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Not the same at all, though.

Suarez's will to win, his desire, his workrate, is all frightening. Rodgers loved that about him.

Balotelli's is as patchy as it comes.

If its a one year loan with an option to buy, would that not be better than Eto'o for a year?

Fescue wrote: »
    If its a one year loan with an option to buy, would that not be better than Eto'o for a year?

Yeah, I'm not against that at all. Balotelli has the world at his feet, in terms of talent, and I'd love to see what Rodgers could make of him.

If there's one thing we know, his man management and dedication towards improving players, is fantastic.

Would certainly be an interesting watch.

Fescue wrote: »

Yes, possibly a better option as a loan. But still risks the harmony that we have in the squad. With Eto'o, there is no suggestion he wouldn't give it 110%, moreso an issue of age and cost...

I don't want an interesting watch.

LFC would immediately become the Mario Balotelli Story for the entire media, I think the club have had quite enough if the that kind of relentless publicity for the time being.

• Advertisement

LFC would immediately become the Mario Balotelli Story for the entire media, I think the club have had quite enough if the that kind of relentless publicity for the time being.

Beats ineffective losing watch, though. Which is what would happen if Sturridge got injured, as things currently stand.

I agree with you with regards to the media circus, but I don't think we have enough alternatives to be that picky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Get Balotelli in just act as a big brother type to Sterling now that would be fun to watch.

Seeing which one has the influance there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

There's a great player in Mario and I trust Brendan to get the best out of him

I agree with you with regards to the media circus, but I don't think we have enough alternatives to be that picky.

There are plenty of alternatives if we are just looking for someone quick and skillful who'll get 1 goal in 3.

But at this stage, I am not sure what the club really wants!

End of discussion as far as im concerned. Dont want him at the club. We have had enough craziness and off the field rubbish between the owners and Suarez since he joined. Need a proper squad full of players who just want to play football and win.
    "I can categorically tell you Balotelli will not be at Liverpool,'' Rodgers said. "In my last press conference I was asked a question about Balotelli and I talked about what a talent he was and what an excellent player he was. And the next day it was wrote as if we were signing him, which doesn't surprise me.
    "I just gave my perception of him as a player. It shouldn't be transmitted in to us signing the player.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Looking purely at Ballotelli's footballing ability then it would be a good signing. He's strong, decent speed, good touch, good scoring record and an awesome shot.

Off the field is questionable - events of the last 2 years with baby and engagment may mean he is starting to settle down. Would hate for him to disrupt and otherwise strong dressing room.

Overall, I think I'd take a risk on him and hope Rodgers can get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The team would also become quite a bit better with him in there. It is a matter of being prepared to properly man manage someone like this. Set very clear limits about what will be accepted and be prepared to move him on if it is deemed that he is not worth the effort.

In terms of financial risk, I see him as being little or no risk as no matter what, his sell on value will always be in the double figures. Once we are looking to spend max 20m on him, that is fine.

The most important thing is what is going on on the pitch. For a striker, his objective is to provide a threat and score/assist goals. Mario can do that for us in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

End of discussion as far as im concerned. Dont want him at the club. We have had enough craziness and off the field rubbish between the owners and Suarez since he joined. Need a proper squad full of players who just want to play football and win.

Suarez crazy is different to Mario crazy though. At least the former brings a crazy workrate, a desire to win, and genuine world class ability along with him.

Mario on the other hand has done nothing to suggest that he could go even one whole season showing a decent workrate and desire to win/be the best.

Mario is great to watch for his antics as much as the odd moment of class, but better to see all that going on in the shirt of some other club than to have him giving us cause to go "Why always Us?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I think it's too late in the transfer window to worry about the nitty picky things now. Would happily welcome Balotelli at Anfield at this stage.

I would have thought Ballotelli is the opposite of what Rodgers wants in a player.

Would he consistently run through brick walls for the team? Doubt it

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I would have thought Ballotelli is the opposite of what Rodgers wants in a player.

Would he consistently run through brick walls for the team? Doubt it

No. Of course if you dared him to run through an actual brick wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I think it's too late in the transfer window to worry about the nitty picky things now. Would happily welcome Balotelli at Anfield at this stage.

No I dont agree with that. That would would mean spending over £20m plus wages on a player for the sake of it.

We should wait for the right player (god i sound like Brendao).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

gafferino wrote: »
    No I dont agree with that. That would would mean spending over £20m plus wages on a player for the sake of it.

We should wait for the right player (god i sound like Brendao).

Given the choice between Balotelli and waiting until January I'd happily wait until January and see what's available then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Barca transfer ban upheld

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/30778/9431154/fifa-committee-rejects-barcelonas-appeal-against-transfer-ban

Lucky for us they managed to get 1 more window out of it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Off the field is questionable

Questionable only off the field? He's questionable all over. If he is ANYTHING like he's been to date I would say no thanks, not in a million years. When the going gets tough Mario throws a strop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

There's zero chance of Balotelli, forget it.

Re Falcao, i think there's a slightly better chance of him coming in, which also amounts to not a lot imo. Only way that deal gets done is if any fee paid for the loan goes towards a concrete buy out figure the other end of that year. I'd be happy to pay the figures touted if they were figures activated by further qualification for the CL in 15/16, they would have to be reduced if not, 20m is too much money to through away on a player you would have to give back after 9 months.

I think it's too late in the transfer window to worry about the nitty picky things now.

A lot more than nitty picky things! Major questions on attitude, aptitude and personality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Let's face it, it's odd on at this stage we don't sign anyone else by 1st September. The tone of Rodgers' recent comments almost confirms it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Let's face it, it's odd on at this stage we don't sign anyone else by 1st September. The tone of Rodgers' recent comments almost confirms it for me.

Well, he did try with a few people.

But if the right person isn;t out there and available, then don't panic buy. We panic bough Andy Carroll and look how that turned out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Looking purely at Ballotelli's footballing ability then it would be a good signing. He's strong, decent speed, good touch, good scoring record and an awesome shot.

Off the field is questionable - events of the last 2 years with baby and engagment may mean he is starting to settle down. Would hate for him to disrupt and otherwise strong dressing room.

Overall, I think I'd take a risk on him and hope Rodgers can get the best out of him.

I remember Bellamy saying something similar about himself and then he attacked Riise with a golf club.
    I liked Bellamy and all but think it takes more than a baby and girlfriend to calm a lunatic down.

Would disagree. Our biggest outlay last summer came late in the window.

Would imagine that at this stage we are focussing on one, maybe two positions, and if we cannot get one of our preferred choices this window then a loan player or two will arrive at the end of the window to tide us over until January/next summer.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I remember Bellamy saying something similar about himself and then he attacked Riise with a golf club.
    I liked Bellamy and all but think it takes more than a baby and girlfriend to calm a lunatic down.

If anything one would imagine that the late night disturbances would make a lunatic even worse the next day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Apparently Reus has turned down a move to Man Utd.

http://www.football365.com/la-liga/9431190/Transfer-news-Marco-Reus-said-to-have-turned-down-move-to-Manchester-United

Because he is waiting for Ayre to ride over with a contract from us obvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

daithijjj wrote: »
    There's zero chance of Balotelli, forget it.

Re Falcao, i think there's a slightly better chance of him coming in, which also amounts to not a lot imo. Only way that deal gets done is if any fee paid for the loan goes towards a concrete buy out figure the other end of that year. I'd be happy to pay the figures touted if they were figures activated by further qualification for the CL in 15/16, they would have to be reduced if not, 20m is too much money to through away on a player you would have to give back after 9 months.

It would be an utter farce. A disgraceful waste of money that could be put to much better, and you know, permanent use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Brendaõ wrote: »

http://www.football365.com/la-liga/9431190/Transfer-news-Marco-Reus-said-to-have-turned-down-move-to-Manchester-United

Probably because he will end up at Bayern next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It would be an utter farce. A disgraceful waste of money that could be put to much better, and you know, permanent use.

20 million is about the average cost of a world class player, between amortised transfer fees and wages.

The fact that it might only be one year is bad in one way, but in another it provides us with some insurance in case he doesn't settle or gets injured again.

Galliani: "We haven't received any offer from Liverpool for Balotelli, so there aren't any negotiations at the moment."

That answers that. Yet more farcical paper rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendaõ wrote: »

Nah he is going to do the dirt on Dortmund like Lewandowski & Gotze and join Munich on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Just spotted this on twatter

fampdv.jpg

Spelt "merrily" wrong... :groan:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Liverpool FC fan's You'll Never Walk Alone tattoo saved his life during 19-hour ordeal in shark-infested waters

A Liverpool tattoo can save your life in shark-infested water. Probably get you stabbed to death by some sociopathic teenager in London. I'll take my chances with the hammerheads.

Really don't get the appreciation for Rojo. He'd terrify you!

Spose might suit as the LCB in a 352, though.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Spelt "merrily" wrong... :groan:

Who cares? He rhymed 'league' with 'league'. C'mon. We need standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Really don't get the appreciation for Rojo. He'd terrify you!

Spose might suit as the LCB in a 352, though.

Straws..clutching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Who cares? He rhymed 'league' with 'league'. C'mon. We need standards.

Sure Pitbull rhymed Kodak with Kodak and look were he is now...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement