Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

joe123 wrote: »
    That was actually a terrible tackle and Carragher should have been sent off.

Nani dives and rolls around, but he was very lucky that he didnt break his leg there.

Scouser-Set-(inc-Tash)-Black.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think it was on here earlier that someone pointed out that Balotelli's agent is also the agent of the goalkeeper, Romero, we have been linked with of late.

Could easily be a case of Ayre being seen with the agent, and journos guessing wrong as to which of the agent's clients was being discussed.

That was me, I am the clever one!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Personally would love ballotelli to join. Great talent and while he's nuts I could see him be loveable within the squad. His age lads... Jesus his age. Normally your counting down the years, but with a bit of luck, he's only coming into maturity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Just watched a video of all his goals from 2012-13. Christ, an awful lot of them were penalties, which he won't be taking here. I'm very much in two minds. He is good, and has a very fine goalscoring record in England and Italy, but he's nowhere near the world-class talent some make out.

As Morzadec said, he's not as good as Sturridge. £160K a week is mental money for him

Saw this in a few places regarding penos.

Would be foolish to let Gerrard or co. take penalties ahead of him seeing as Balotelli's a much superior penalty taker to anyone in the Liverpool squad.

Would be foolish to let Gerrard or co. take penalties ahead of him seeing as Balotelli's a much superior penalty taker to anyone in the Liverpool squad.

Lambert is probably better again, but it will still be Gerrard IMO...

It won't be Danny anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Gerrard has been brilliant for us at penalties in recent years, especially in big pressure moments, no way would I take him off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm both smiling and grimacing at the thought of Balotelli. I'd be expecting plenty of goals and plenty of shenanigans. If he joins, he will be talked about - that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I thought Rodgers dismissed the claims about Balotelli yesterday so what else has changed? Sorry I can't find anything solid through the interwebz with a quick google. I'd be happy enough with him signing, crazy f**ker but can produce absolute class so worth the risk.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I thought Rodgers dismissed the claims about Balotelli yesterday so what else has changed? Sorry I can't find anything solid through the interwebz with a quick google. I'd be happy enough with him signing, crazy f**ker but can produce absolute class so worth the risk.

He dismissed the original link over a week ago, but at that stage maybe he thought it wasn't on the cards. He had talked about him the day before so thought it was just a rag story.

But imagine his face yesterday when Ayre rings him to say "No really, we are..." :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

El Inho wrote: »
    Personally would love ballotelli to join. Great talent and while he's nuts I could see him be loveable within the squad. His age lads... Jesus his age. Normally your counting down the years, but with a bit of luck, he's only coming into maturity!

I'm not sure maturity and Mario sit easily in the same sentence. I always feel he has so much potential but no interest in delivering on it. Not sure what sort of kick in the arse he'd need to change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

It's done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone see the video on FM104.
    Jamie carragher is at Some football camp over here and a little kid asks him if he has ever been bitten by luis suarez.
    Hahaha

http://www.fm104.ie/News-Sport/Article.aspx?itemid=32061

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Vanolder wrote: »
    It's done!

Linky linky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We need someone at the club to polarize all the hatred now that Luis is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Looks like its defo a permanent deal we want him on - on the breaking news now on the beeb http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28878088

If it does come off, Steve Peters better get a pay rise and an assistant ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im excited we could have an absolute star on our hands, or this could be a disaster. You would imagine Rodgers has seeked advice from Kolo Toure and asked what he is like for team moral. Rodgers isn't stupid he will have weighed the risk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Should be fun, whats the bets on Balotelli biting someone in his first season :pac:

Seriosly though I could see him getting a lot of goals in that team (if he stays on the pitch) media will have a field day with him though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

rob316 wrote: »
    ImprobableMadGannet.gif

Love the way he just walks away casually.

Ya thats all well and good, but its when hes "casually" walking back when we need help in defense is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ac Milan channel now confirm we are in talks for the permanent transfer after denying it yesterday. Sky Sports also running with it.

IK09 wrote: »
    Ya thats all well and good, but its when hes "casually" walking back when we need help in defense is the problem.

He'll chase around as much as Sturridge does, but neither would do it like Luis did, but he is unique...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

If he is motivated and playing to full capabilities, then we would have a star on our hands. Rodgers man-management and Peters working with him could be the making of the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Welcome super Mario! We need a bit of a mad man up top- This coulp be epic or an epic failure-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m Talks between Liverpool and AC Milan over Balotelli are progressing well and are set to resume today.

Would be a great transfer window if we get Balotelli for 16-20m.

If I could compare Mario to another maverick who was always on the edge, played almost TOO casually, but untimately brought success -

Cantona.

A lot of similarities there. Fergie took a risk, and man did it pay off...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

If he is motivated and playing to full capabilities, then we would have a star on our hands. Rodgers man-management and Peters working with him could be the making of the player.

The beeb are running with it. On the more to follow buzz too, so a finalised deal could be very close.

On the Balotelli pyschology front, he's the comic-type of patient that I can imagine has the attending Psychologist seeking counsel themselves!

Dickerty wrote: »
    He'll chase around as much as Sturridge does, but neither would do it like Luis did, but he is unique...

His movement would be nowhere near the quality of Sturridge, or any other LFC attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

This is a really interesting interview with Mario from a few years back. Talks about all the rumours about him and the truth behind them. He also seems very shy to me.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/17325398

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Wow... Just wow... Happy to be associated with such a talented player, but dreading being right back where we were with Suarez in that you'll never know what he's going to do next (and not in a good way).

I posted weeks ago that Balotelli would have a lot of the talent, a lot of the crazy but none of the work-rate of Suarez.

Anyhow, we'll see what happens, if we do sign him then clearly Rodgers believes he can get the best from him. It's definitely much more interesting then the exciting signing Rodgers mentioned in his first season, which turned out to be Borini! :) How times have changed...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So would Ballotelli count as our "marquee" signing?

Borini gone then?

Will Falcao deal of any kind rumours still persist?

IK09 wrote: »
    His movement would be nowhere near the quality of Sturridge, or any other LFC attacker.

I was answering the point about him helping out defensively. He'll be central most of the time, so as long as he is on his toes, I don't expect him (or Sturridge) chasing down every pass...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

So Rodgers must think he can control Balotelli and get the best out of him?

I admire his confidence and trust him, but its a big risk, one I'm not looking forward to unfolding at this moment. Do we need the drama that comes with him?

A match winner and goal scorer on a good day, poison and a liability on a bad day.

jasonb wrote: »
    I posted weeks ago that Balotelli would have a lot of the talent, a lot of the crazy but none of the work-rate of Suarez.

But for a quarter of the price (and half the wages).

There will be a small difference between what we pay for him and what we get for Borini.

Does ANYONE believe we are better off keeping Fabio??

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

The thing about signing Mario, is that in one respect it takes a huge amount of focus, and therefore pressure off Sturridge, Sterling, Lallana and Markovic. The media expect Balotelli to do daft things and be centre of attention, not to mention the moments of genius. It would be a fine smokescreen/foil on & off the pitch for the two expensive new attacking signings, as well as the two existing lads who have a bigger burden filling the void of Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

This would be a great move, really hopes it comes off. I'd love to see him play on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It's an absolute no brainer for me to pay between £15-20m for Balotelli.

Yes he carries a lot of baggage.

He is only just gone 24 years and as an out and out stiker is about a 1 in 2. I reckon if he played over 30 premier league games he could easily net 20 goals for us. He has a point to prove if he comes back to the Premier League and if it fails, no matter how badly I don't see us getting any less than £15m in a year or two for him.

It's worth a punt in my opinion and I said this months ago also.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Its going to be a nightmare prematch training when we are all trying to work out the starting lineup with the bib theory..:)

a723e_arcade_mb4_1639382a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

This is a really interesting interview with Mario from a few years back. Talks about all the rumours about him and the truth behind them. He also seems very shy to me.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/17325398

The thing that's funny is Gallagher sounds like he idolises Mario.
    And Mario just seems very normal.

But that doesn't suit the media story of Mad Mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

If Balotelli developed a proper work ethic then he would be a great signing. Whatever about issues off the pitch, its the lazy, in a mood, going to kick someone, frustrating Balotelli that I am worried about.

Balotelli thinks he is much better than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

This is all smokescreen to get Falcao.

Then I be like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kingdom wrote: »
    The beeb are running with it. On the more to follow buzz too, so a finalised deal could be very close.

On the Balotelli pyschology front, he's the comic-type of patient that I can imagine has the attending Psychologist seeking counsel themselves!

A Tony Soprano type! I don't know, this is all a bit mad Ted. Its a risk I don't think we need to take.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

joe123 wrote: »
    Balotelli thinks he is much better than he is.

No, I think he's actually THAT good, and gets frustrated that he also has to work hard and get kicked and that everyone else isn't as good as him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Just looking at Balotelli's stats & am surprised to find the most goals he has scored in a season was 14, last season at Milan. I thought he wouldve got 20 or close to a few seasons.

For the record in his years at City he scored 6, 13, & then 1 the year he left in Jan.

Stats from:

http://int.soccerway.com/players/mario-balotelli/22357/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

K-9 wrote: »
    A Tony Soprano type! I don't know, this is all a bit mad Ted. Its a risk I don't think we need to take.

And a risk we probably wouldn't have had to take if we'd done our business earlier. Like many, the thought of Balotelli fills me with excitement and dread, a little more of the latter than the former. It's what the lunatic gets up to off the pitch that worries me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I really, really don't like the look of this Balotelli deal. Can't understand why we aren't looking at Ben Yedder or Memphis Depay... Balotelli is closer to what we need than, say, Bony, but he's still not close at the same time: he doesn't have the workrate, he isn't as adaptable as Sturr/Suarez/Coutinho/Sterling was, he'll presumably want to be starting 70% of EPL games at least - how are we going to accommodate that, and is it worth the compromise? I don't think so. Thumbs down from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The feeling I have for us potentially signing Ballotelli is like the same feeling that I have when sitting on a warm toilet seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jasonb wrote: »
    Wow... Just wow... Happy to be associated with such a talented player, but dreading being right back where we were with Suarez in that you'll never know what he's going to do next (and not in a good way).

Anyhow, we'll see what happens, if we do sign him then clearly Rodgers believes he can get the best from him. It's definitely much more interesting then the exciting signing Rodgers mentioned in his first season, which turned out to be Borini! :) How times have changed...

J.

Suarez was only on 40k a week when he signed though if we want to compare like with like.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    The feeling I have for us potentially signing Ballotelli is like the same feeling that I have when sitting on a warm toilet seat.

Source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'm not happy with this but I've always said to trust the manager so I can't back down from that logic now.

Dickerty wrote: »
    I was answering the point about him helping out defensively. He'll be central most of the time, so as long as he is on his toes, I don't expect him (or Sturridge) chasing down every pass...

Neither do I, but there are times when our back is to the wall. He wont help out. Evident at City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

No doubt it'd be a bit of a marmite signing but I'd honestly be very happy with Balotelli.

Logically it's not a detrimental signing anyway. He's still young. If he does no good he can still be sold on for decent money because he does have talent. Someone will still want him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement