Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

mosstin wrote: »
    Source?

40926-ilyke.net-large-40926-foIrRK7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    So would Ballotelli count as our "marquee" signing?

_70750904_70750903.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Balotelli for only a few million more than you look like you can get for Borini seems like a no brainer especially when everyone seemed to be happy enough with Remy only a few weeks ago.

Obviously people will immediately compare him with Suarez but he alone is not how Rodgers is trying to replace Suarez when you consider that he would be the fourth 1st team / rotation quality AM or forward brought in this summer (not to mention the striker you sent back out on loan after spending 10m on): Lallana, Markovic, Lambert and now Balotelli.

He would take a lot of the focus off Sturridge, Sterling and Co and even if he didnt work out would have a good resale value considering his young age.

Also if your determined to compare him to Suarez he would cost 1/3 or less than Suarez was sold for and probably would be on half the wages. Good signing all round imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Dickerty wrote: »
    But for a quarter of the price (and half the wages).

K-9 wrote: »
    Suarez was only on 40k a week when he signed though if we want to compare like with like.

I'm actually not too bothered about the money side of it, probably because

A. It's not my money! ;)
    B. It looks like it'll be a relatively decent price (around £20m is being mentioned).

I'm more concerned that it'll be another season of having a player that you just don't know when he's going to do something crazy, he could end up getting banned etc. I prefer when Liverpool are only talked about because of what happens on the pitch (biting excluded).

And then there's the fact that in the past sometimes Mario just hasn't bothered his arse during a game, that's not the work ethic you want a player on your team to have (and Rodgers wouldn't put up with that for long I'd imagine).

I'm not looking at him as a Suarez replacement at all (that doesn't exist). Just pointing out that Suarez's crazy is counterbalanced by a lot more talent and will to win than Balotelli's is. Of course, Balotelli could work out great, who knows?

However, it's still good to see us going after players of the ilk of Sanchez, Balotelli and Falcao, it shows that we're aiming higher these days.

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question - why are Milan so keen to get rid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't follow Italian football.

DOes any one here.

Apart from stats that can be twisted as you like. does anyone know how Ballotelli got on there?
    Any controversies, run-ins with team mates or manager?

Wondering why Milan seem so keen to sell at what seems like a knock down price for his talents.

joe123 wrote: »

They have 6 forwards and Honda so maybe they just decided they'll sell the one who can fetch a decent fee and would calm things down within the Milan dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

£$€¥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He's probably on high wages with them and they don't have champions league or even europa league money coming in this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They need to sell him so they can fill there squad with more over the hill once great players. The two Milan clubs have been in sharp decline for a while now, both are run badly. Liverpool would be a great move for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    40926-ilyke.net-large-40926-foIrRK7.jpg

So, possibly signing Balotelli makes you feel like you've sat on someone's arse? That's an unusual perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Italian papers reporting a fee of £16m agreed.

Sorry lads. But at that money its a no brainer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cos he is one of the few they can get good money for that clubs are sniffing around and they didnt get CL football last year and have been scrimping and saving with regards transfers (picked up some nice free bargains iirc) for some time now due to their finances so a nice cash injection wouldnt go astray would be my guess

If im not mistaken he hasnt had near as many behavioral issues in Milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Balotelli is a 1 in 3 goal scorer if you take away penalties he's probably closer to a 1 in 5 goal scorer.

I'd wait to see if Napoli get knocked out of the CL and then try for Higuain who is a real 1 in 2 goal scorer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Balotelli is a 1 in 3 goal scorer if you take away penalties he's probably closer to a 1 in 5 goal scorer.

I'd wait to see if Napoli get knocked out of the CL and then try for Higuain who is a real 1 in 2 goal scorer.

Balotelli surely a better option considering he can play in the CL this season with Liverpool, Higuain cant!

He will have far more chances created for him here. He just needs to take them more often.

0.47 Balotelli’s goals per game ratio in the Premier League and Serie A
    4 Red cards in two and a half seasons with Manchester City (not like he is sent off every 2nd game, as some may have you think)
    4 Title winners’ medals in England and Italy

Young and cheapish, No brainer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

mosstin wrote: »
    So, possibly signing Balotelli makes you feel like you've sat on someone's arse? That's an unusual perspective.

I suppose on one hand, the seat is warm, which is good. On the other hand, I've been in close proximity to another man's naked arse, which is bad.

So I guess in a (very) roundabout way I'm saying that I'm conflicted.

Balotelli surely a better option considering he can play in the CL this season with Liverpool, Higuain cant!

Having someone who can score goals and not get red cards would be more of an advantage in getting top 4 again this season than a player who can play in this seasons CL.

Getting top 4 this season is the most important thing.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

brevity wrote: »
    I suppose on one hand, the seat is warm, which is good. On the other hand, I've been in close proximity to another man's naked arse, which is bad.

So I guess in a (very) roundabout way I'm saying that I'm conflicted.

Balotelli's talent is the warm seat, his attitude and potential disruption to the squad is a man's arse basically. I think that's a damn fine analogy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Fabrizio Romano
    Mario Balotelli confirmed he'll join Liverpool arriving in sport center: "This one is my last day as Milan player". He'll play for #LFC

Well.. certainly looks like it's on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

0.47 Balotelli’s goals per game ratio in the Premier League and Serie A
    4 Red cards in two and a half seasons with Manchester City (not like he is sent off every 2nd game, as some may have you think)
    4 Title winners’ medals in England and Italy

Young and cheapish, No brainer!

Lambert has a 0.51 goal per game ratio, and I'm no huge fan of his either. I don't think it's a particularly relevant metric beyond making sure that they clear a basic threshold of a goal per 0.45 or so... I'm more interested in their contributions elsewhere: assists, goal opportunity creation, retention, etc.

I think if there was any possibility of signing Higuain we probably wouldn't be going down the Balotelli route like we are now.

Wonder if he'll be registered in time for the City game on Monday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I would be delighted with Balotelli. Bags of talent, as mad as a box of frogs, the complete player!!

• Advertisement

Lambert has a 0.51 goal per game ratio, and I'm no huge fan of his either. I don't think it's a particularly relevant metric beyond making sure that they clear a basic threshold of a goal per 0.45 or so... I'm more interested in their contributions elsewhere: assists, goal opportunity creation, retention, etc.

13/16 Seasons Lambert has spent in the lowers Divisons of English Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

His major issue is when he switches off during matches. It seems that he makes some internal decision that today its not going to happen and he just sulks out the remainder if the game.

If Rodgers and his team can stop him from doing that then he will be the signing of the Summer. I have my doubts though. I said the same when it was mooted that he would come to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd rather Borini to be honest.
    Balotelli is a fraud. Complete sham.

I think if there was any possibility of signing Higuain we probably wouldn't be going down the Balotelli route like we are now.

And that stat above you is wrong incidentally, his non-penalty goals at ac last season was around 0.43, so not much off his average.

Slattsy wrote: »

2D vs 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sell borini for 14 and buy balo for 18-20 mill is well worth the punt, could go either ways but id rather sign balo then nobody at all i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Looks like this has moved quickly ..

Balotelli: "This is my last day in Milanello" (Sky)

@NicoSchira: #Balotelli has made a decision to join #Liverpool, and has told his teammates to his friends in #Milan this morning. #LFC

@FabrizioRomano: BREAKING: agreement between Liverpool and Milan for Mario #Balotelli for €20M via @DiMarzio

@FabrizioRomano: Mario Balotelli confirmed he'll join Liverpool arriving in sport center: "This one is my last day as Milan player". He'll play for #LFC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'd prefer Ballotelli

On what basis?

Balotelli is twice the player Borini will ever be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Imagine not checking twitter last night and waking up a bit late this morning and seeing we've all but signed Balotelli. Crazy how fast this moved. I can only imagine we're desperate to play him on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

On what basis?

But haven't you heard that Borini has excellent movement that dazzles all defenders.

Desperately low (well, inconsistent at best!) goal conversion % for Balotelli - around 8.25% last season, non-existent the season before that, a touch short of 13% the season before that, 9% in 10-11 and 14.5% with Inter in 09-10. Hm hm hmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Very excited about this. Yes, he's a bit of a risk, but I feel that he might be natually settling down now, and Rodgers/Peters will be able to get his head straight.

He's immensely talented, and if he plays to his potential we have a seriously dangerous strikeforce.

And at £16 million, it's absolutely worth the risk.

murpho999 wrote: »
    But haven't you heard that Borini has excellent movement that dazzles all defenders.

His movement is overrated. He's been moving to Sunderland since July and he's still here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Desperately low goal conversion % for Balotelli - around 8.25% last season, non-existent the season before that, a touch short of 13% the season before that, 9% in 10-11 and 14.5% with Inter in 09-10. Hm hm hmmmmmmm.

Milan last season were a joke tbf

• Advertisement

On what basis?

He probably has twice the ability. If he could match Borini's heart and workrate we probably wouldn't be in the running to sign him.

klose wrote: »
    Milan last season were a joke tbf

Aye, that's why I included the other seasons - his last season at City was a bit non-existent and messy, so it's hard to take much from those stats, but the conversion number is down a fair bit below 5% of shots taken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

teq30.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have never been a fan of Balotelli, clear as day that he has enough talent to be one of the best forwards in the world, but usually this is nullified by his stinking attitude. The interview with Mourinho sums him up pretty well, you could bring him on with 30 mins to go against United and he could get sent off within 2 minutes of being on the pitch, or alternatively he could bang in a winner from 30 yards. IMO he is the riskiest possible signing in world football. But at £16m you have to wonder is he worth the risk? Probably. Especially if we are getting £14m for Borini. I've never been a fan and still not sure if I ever will be a fan, but for some reason I'm excited.

Would rather see us sign Balotelli than Eto'o, and as people are saying it will certainly take a bit of the spotlight off players like Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling, in the same way Suarez did in the past. If Brendan Rodgers manages to tame Balotelli he will have a serious player on his hands, but I won't get my hopes up about that happening, if Mancini and Mourinho couldn't do it I wonder can anyone. The only hope I have of him calming down is that if he arrives at the club he won't be one of the young players at the club like he was at Inter, City and AC Milan, our squad is very young and he fits in with it, hopefully this will give him a bit more responsibility and might help him settle in - he won't have the excuse of being the baby of the bunch to get away with his antics.

I'm excited. Let's see how it goes...

Well I guess if we can still get £14m for Borini then £16m isn't much of a gamble for Balotelli unless he is wanting crazy wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm wondering what big game Mario will get himself sent off in this season that will leave us shouting at the tv in frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/fabio-balotelli-told-me-about-kop

Posted before but a reminder that Balotelli spoke well of Liverpool to Borini before he joined. He seems to admire the club and I'm not surprised he'd be interested.

I spent enough time complaining about lack of ambition in signing Sturridge and still have egg dripping off my face from that one, so I'm not going to be disappointed with this one, if Rodgers wants him and he comes, then I look forward to seeing him in a Liverpool shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You have to remember the financial restrictions that Milan operate in. No CL football money and no big moneybags TV deals combined with commercial/matchday revenues that have been plummeting as a result of less success.

Milan's day as a European giant is over for now. They simply cannot afford to be paying £100k a week to any player.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what big game Mario will get himself sent off in this season that will leave us shouting at the tv in frustration.

Next Monday evening :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement