Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mosstin wrote: »
    His movement is overrated. He's been moving to Sunderland since July and he's still here.

Brilliant. :D

Aye, that's why I included the other seasons - his last season at City was a bit non-existent and messy, so it's hard to take much from those stats, but the conversion number is down a fair bit below 5% of shots taken...

As was pointed out Suarezs was poor as well.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Soooooo...

If it goes ahead that gives us a front four of

Sturridge, Balotelli , Lambert, and Borini.

Good enough, based on what all four have done in recent season rather than on potential, in the eyes of the thread users?

Well I'd say Borini will move somewhere at last! ;) When added with Markovic, Lalana and, I think more from Coutinho and Sterling this season, it isn't bad.

Will it replace Suarez? Time will tell, Balotelli definitely is the wild card!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Soooooo...

Good enough, based on what all four have done in recent season rather than on potential, in the eyes of the thread users?

I'd be happy with that but will Borini stay to be fourth choice striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Soooooo...

I can't see Borini staying but I'm happy if he does.

Even if he leaves, I'm happy with 3 strikers. That seems like enough when we generally only play with 1 striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Mancini and Mourinho. If anyone has a bigger ego than these two in World Football. Please name them.

Would Nicholas Bentner qualify in this category?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Do people think that Balotelli was always on the radar of Rodgers or is this a case of running out of other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ok on onto getting a keeper and mildfielder I still would like a right back.

Agger, Lucas, Borini and Johnson(fingers crossed) on there way out.

Then get that Falcao lad in on loan as our 4th choice striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

It's hard not to be excited. 16m£ and 90k a week could represent the bargain of the season.
    Can, Lallana, Markovic, Lovren, Moreno, Manquillo, Balotelli makes it nearly the perfect window. Romero as a proper alternative to Mig, and the first XI and Shadow XI are very strong.

Mig (An Other)

Manquillo (Flanagan) Lovren (Skrtel) Sakho () Moreno (Enrique)

Gerrard (Lucas)
    Henderson (Allen) Lallana (Can)

Sturridge (Markovic) Sterling (Coutinho)
    Bala (Lambert)
    That's a squad that can now compete realistically on two fronts.

I'd love to be greedy and see the club pursue the one year Falcao deal though, I have to say. That would put Liverpool as equal favourites for the title in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

K-9 wrote: »
    Brilliant. :D

As was pointed out Suarezs was poor as well.

Well I'd say Borini will move somewhere at last! ;) When added with Markovic, Lalana and, I think more from Coutinho and Sterling this season, it isn't bad.

Will it replace Suarez? Time will tell, Balotelli definitely is the wild card!

I suppose it depends on what way people want to gauge that.

In terms of have we brought in one or two players who can inspire the same level of panic in other teams that Suarez could, then right now the answer has to be no. Then again there are very few players in the game today that are at that level.

But if we really simplify things and look at it in terms of our expected goal difference this season. Have we brought in players that can keep the team in and around what is needed to compete for a top four slot as well as competing for silverware in the cups? I think we may well have.

I still feel that we are missing something in the centre, and right back may be an issue, but looking at our current squad and including Mario (along with his pros and cons), I find it hard to see how we could not greatly improve on last season's goals against tally in the league whilst still managing to score in and around the 80 goal mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£16m for the number one Italian striker is a great deal in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

IK09 wrote: »
    Would Nicholas Bentner qualify in this category?

No, he is a non-entity in World Football terms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We've all but signed Balotelli?

tumblr_ll83eybVfw1qd1fjko1_500.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

ZtuVM5m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ok this is happening so lets get him registered in time for Monday so he can come off the bench and score the winner then get sent off celebrating:D:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Do people think that Balotelli was always on the radar of Rodgers or is this a case of running out of other options?
    Yep, I think he was always on the radar.
    “I can categorically tell you Mario Balotelli will not be at Liverpool,”
    That's a categorical admission that he was actually interested in the player but he didn't want Liverpool overplaying their hand, smart really when a lot of money was at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Coutinho (8m), Sturridge (12m) and Balotelli (16m)= £36m

Carroll = £35m

Oh how we've learned:cool:

Can't wait for this deal to happen. More positives to outweigh any negatives. Balotelli under Brendan Rodgers guidance could be a real coup at a not too excessive fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

i'm going to struggle to tell Balotelli and Sakho apart.Think they are very similar looking. Thank god we got rid of Cissokho or they'd be like triplets

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Now all we have to do is sign Reus for 20 Mill and we are golden :P

That's a categorical admission that he was actually interested in the player but he didn't want Liverpool overplaying their hand, smart really when a lot of money was at stake.

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

if they bring falcao in along with balotelli then the pundits questions of where are the goals going to come from for liverpool this season will be well and truly answered

Is it?
    Yep. This happens all the time in football. The day before Coutinho signed for us he was quoted as saying he didn't understand where these links with Liverpool were coming from as he heard nothing of it and was committed to Inter. Said it at the time, when he categorically ruled himself out of joining us, that the deal must have been very close.

• Advertisement

I'm delighted with this signing, in all honesty.

He ticks the boxes in terms of talent, experience, age, the positions he can play in, and value. I have no doubt that Rodgers can get the best out of him, at least for the short term, and if things go pear shaped after that, no doubt you'll get your moneys worth.

Bet all the lads in Melwood today are ecstatic at the news, just as other teams around the league will be dreading him joining us. The man is a superb talent.

Gonna be some interesting watch to see how he performs and acts at the club now. The PR lads will be rushing back from their extended holidays, for one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I haven't stopped laughing all morning.

Any transfer news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this has FSG written all over it too.

talented player.
    has had his ups and downs.
    needs nurturing.
    can we get inside their head, motivate them, and turn them into the real deal?

Balotelli will frustrate us, but if we can get him running hot, it could be one of the most sublime bits of business we could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would be a money signing. First ambitious move we've made this summer. If you want to win **** you need talent.

We'll **** it up though...

Oh FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Soooooo...

No not in my opinion.

I'm not wild on Balotelli due to the well documented lack of work rate etc. although having said that he is capable of some brilliant things and Im sure will get goals for us. Its the other aspects I am worried about.

Although I like the lad and I hope he goes on and does well elsewhere I dont think Borini is up to it. I wouldnt be at all confident of him coming off the bench or starting. I would imagine he is off to Sunderland before the window shuts.

Will be interesting to see how much game time Lambert actually gets. He is a good player with more to his game than a target man for sure.

Was really hoping for a marquee signing up front but I dont think it is out there for us in this window.

BalotelliIsTheMan?

I heart mental mario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Oh FFS.

Maybe Baloistheman?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Guys, as a United fan, can I say Thanks for bringing him back to the league :D I love Ballotelli, both on the pitch and off, and think he could be a brilliant signing for ye. It'll be infinitely harder to hold anything against Liverpool if I see that beautiful man in a jersey.

If this deal gets done, we have 6 genuinely decent players (Sturridge, Sterling, Balotelli, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana) to cover 4 positions. That is the kind of squad depth that a modern PL team needs to compete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

tumblr_n95m8uEeDm1qaorn7o1_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

super-mario-balotelli.jpg

If this deal gets done, we have 6 genuinely decent players (Sturridge, Sterling, Balotelli, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana) to cover 4 positions. That is the kind of squad depth that a modern PL team needs to compete.

Aye.

Also, if signed, best transfer window the Club has done? On paper, anyway.

Lets hope expectations match performances now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Balotelli to Pazzini:"Come on, now you'll be able to play more"

Apparently it was SkyItalia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

A lot of people around Liverpool, who struggle to afford to put petrol in their cars, are happy by the news this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If the club does sign Super Mario then surely Borini must be off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Let's wait for this deal to be confirmed before talking about Falcao.

If we sign Balotelli, it'd be a huge shock to sign Falcao too.

Get him registered to play Monday night. Bit of PL Theater, right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

With the exception of Falcao Mario is as good as any of the options available. The market is ridiculous at the moment, Canvani would have been nice but not for the price mentioned.

We need a solid year from Mario - this could very well work in our favour and we still have cash in the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some change in 4 years

xSmWNVf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I am genuinely torn on Balotelli signing

On the one hand he is box office entertainment but can also be frustrating as hell

There were some days at City where you could see they were either going to have to sub him or he would get himself sent off as he was in a mood

Headlines and weird stories aside there seem to be enough stories of him being a nice, shy decent bloke off the pitch to think there is truth in it

He is mixed up for a whole host of reasons but if the club can get him to buy into the mentality that everyone else has and he can commit to it then it could be a great signing

it is a bloody big if though and a huge risk, not from a financial point of view because it is a great deal from that aspect but just from a season defining point of view

But I like the guy and really hope this works out for us and him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

NewThoroughFruitfly.gif

shamelessly stolen from reddit.

I really hope someone else is coming in too. This is like a bad dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Old but good interview with Noel Gallagher and Balotelli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

slingerz wrote: »
    i'm going to struggle to tell Balotelli and Sakho apart.Think they are very similar looking. Thank god we got rid of Cissokho or they'd be like triplets

Is that you Malky???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Time for some BR trademark love bombing.

Hope it comes off, cant wait to see him in red, not entirely convinced! Realistically if we can get 15 goals a season out of him we have done well. Especially if we get 14m for Borini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Do people really think we'll sign Balotelli plus the likes of Falco?

Seriously:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I suppose it depends on what way people want to gauge that.
    In terms of have we brought in one or two players who can inspire the same level of panic in other teams that Suarez could, then right now the answer has to be no. Then again there are very few players in the game today that are at that level.

I hear what you're saying, but in a way Bala, Sterling and I think Markovic when he settles are going to provide movement and unpredictability that most teams are just not going to be able to cope with.
    But if we really simplify things and look at it in terms of our expected goal difference this season. Have we brought in players that can keep the team in and around what is needed to compete for a top four slot as well as competing for silverware in the cups? I think we may well have.

The answer has to be yes there is.
    I still feel that we are missing something in the centre, and right back may be an issue, but looking at our current squad and including Mario (along with his pros and cons), I find it hard to see how we could not greatly improve on last season's goals against tally in the league whilst still managing to score in and around the 80 goal mark.

The fact that Rodgers decided to throw Manquillo in at right back immediately has to be considered a positive. I would hope that he'll grow into our permanent right back. I would be happy with Flanagan as a fall-back, but against the better wide players, I don't think he is equipped well enough, either with pace, or tactical nous. So in that respect, yes we could do with another option at right back.
    My worry about the centre of the pitch hasn't changed from early last season. It surely bores anyone that reads my posts, but I just don't think it's solid enough. Sure the attacking quality masks a lot of those deficiencies, but for me it's the difference between just being a top 4 side and being champions. That said, Lallana augmenting Henderson's work rate, and easing Can in, could mitigate that issue. The full back's being improved upon, and having a settled back 4/ or three, will also be a contributing factor.

You asked a question last week of where people think Liverpool will finish. I think (provided nothing stupid happens) then top 4 is nailed on now. I really expected United to go on a recruiting drive, but it hasn't happened, and really they've too many holes still left to plug at this stage. Spurs might push on, but I don't think they'll have the staying power, and Everton will do very well to replicate their 2/3 season form from last season.
    It just has to be top 4 again. I believe that Liverpool are the equal of Arsenal at present, at worst, and will push Chelsea and City close. 2nd or 3rd.

No more conundrums from me about elimination at the CL group stage to guarantee 4th either! The squad is there now to have a rattle at both big competitions, while still fielding good and hungry teams in the top weaker cup competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

2 days ago I wasn't mad on us getting Balotelli but now I'm getting very giddy about this signing!

Loved Mario at City, you know there are gonna be tantrums, great goals, sulking, sublime talent, funny incidents, infuriating displays along the way!

Out of the frying pan (luis) and into the fire (Mario)

This season just got even more interesting :D

@indykaila saying "Liverpool have signed Mario Balotelli. confirmed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What a talent.
    balotelli-o.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement