Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

2 things I don't like about this Balotelli deal. The first is that it's Balotelli and viryually anything can happen with him. And the second is the fact that we have money, and yet we couldn't get anybody else to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't follow Italian football.

DOes any one here.

Apart from stats that can be twisted as you like. does anyone know how Ballotelli got on there?
    Any controversies, run-ins with team mates or manager?

Wondering why Milan seem so keen to sell at what seems like a knock down price for his talents.

Got on well at Milan in a team that was seriously struggling.

This thing of Brendan Rodgers being the man who can "finally tame" Balotelli is nonsense, he's been calm for the duration of his time at Milan.

Was the marquee signing the fans were crying out for when he landed in January 2013 and almost single-handedly dragged us into the top 3. Had a reasonably good season last season considering how poor the team was and the lack of continuity (serious number of transfers in and out and managerial changes)

His Biggest Weaknesses imo -

Discipline (picks up needless yellow cards but I genuinely have never seen a player fouled so much in my life. Every game he is targeted by the opposition in order to get a reaction)

Motivation - Sometimes he looks like he just doesn't want to be on the pitch and if things are going against him then the head can go down.

Biggest Strengths -

Magic Moments - He is capable of that moment of magic. The majority of his goals came late on in games where he may have been doing little up until then. He is a game-winner and there isn't that many around.

Hold-up play - His hold up play is very good. Technically he's very sound and I can see him linking well in Liverpool's attack.

Set-Pieces - One of the best penalty takers in the world so I'll be surprised if he doesn't become the No.1 penalty taker as he is just that good at them. (Lambert is very good too but I can't imagine he'll start). He's also a very good free kick taker. Expect him to rifle a few free's in this season.

Overall, gutted that he's leaving Milan and even more gutted that it's for £16m-£20m. He really is worth more than that and the risk involved is minimal. It's almost a guarantee that that transfer fee will be recouped when he moves on regardless of how he performs and if he plays well then it could be trebled.

Great signing for ye

viper006 wrote: »
    Thing is relistically if we bring in Balotelli for 16m and sell Borini for 14m it will one best bits of transfer business we have ever done.

It begs the questions though if Balotelli comes and Borini is off , we still require another striker. Is it possible we may sign 2 strikers before the window closes if borni is off?

I'd prefer if Borini stayed tbh.

Balotelli would be replacing Suarez.
    Lambert is replacing Aspas.

I'd keep Borini unless an upgrade is coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On paper getting Ballotelli for £4M more than Shane Long is an incredible bit of business. Don't think anybody doubts Ballotelli's talent. Only the application of his talent.

If he matures as he approaches 25 and reacts well to Rodgers' style of man management then he could be absolutely brilliant. If he starts sulking in the middle of games and strolling about in a huff then you have a problem. He does that and he will be out the door again in 18 months time.

Don't think there would be problems with the rest of the squad. Even at City he was still very popular with his teammates by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Looks like it is happening.

I'm leaving AC Milan today - Mario Balotelli confirms ahead of £16m Liverpool move
    After the session, Balotelli confirmed to journalists that he would be leaving the club he joined from Manchester City last year. "This is my last day in Milan, my last day at Milanello," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Say what you will about his character (a topic which I think is immensely overblown due to him being black, particularly in Italy) but the stats don't lie:

20 in 59 for Inter
    20 in 54 for City
    26 in 43 for Milan

And he just gone 24. With Rodgers' track record for developing players, this could really turn out to be a gem of a signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

The more I read about it the happier I become about this.

Mario is quoted as saying he is leaving Milan now so looks like it's happening bar a medical or paper work mess up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Kind of reminds me of Cantona before he joined United. Very nomadic and very temperamental. Hopefully we can have at half as good an outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Kind of reminds me of Cantona before he joined United. Very nomadic and very temperamental. Hopefully we can have at half as good an outcome.

I made the same comparison this morning. The kind of maverick that sometimes turns a good team into a title winning team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'd say Milan can't believe their luck. No-one else wants him as he's a complete nutter and his attitude stinks.

I hate this transfer. Will be a big mistake by Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

The beard has spoken
    Andrea Pirlo insists Liverpool-bound Mario Balotelli has matured, and learnt from the mistakes that blighted the early part of his career.

Balotelli's two-and-a-half-year spell at Manchester City included a reckless red card against Arsenal in April 2012 and numerous off-the-pitch misdemeanors, such as setting off fireworks in his house.

But since Balotelli joined AC Milan in January 2013, his Italy team-mate Pirlo believes the controversial forward has grown up.

Pirlo said: 'Mario has matured since he has been back in Italy. He will be the first to admit when he was younger he made some mistakes - but he is not that player anymore.
    'Anybody who still talks about him in that way is living in the past.'

Juventus midfielder also believes that in the right environment, Balotelli will finally deliver on the promise he first showed as a teenager at Inter.

The 35-year-old added: 'I have always said that in the right environment he has the potential to be one of the best strikers in Europe.

'He needs to be given space. The media do not need to write a story every time he goes to the shops - the time has come to write only about what he does on the field.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

My only fear is that he could be poison for the morale, team spirit and attitude of a squad who seem to have those qualities in spades at the moment.

Should he be willing to put in the work, he'll be an excellent signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ardent wrote: »
    I'd say Milan can't believe their luck. No-one else wants him as he's a complete nutter and his attitude stinks.

I hate this transfer. Will be a big mistake by Rodgers.

You dont have the euro millions numbers either for this Friday while your at it ?

At first I didnt want him at the club. But after coming to terms with the idea I'm fairly excited with the prospect. Going to remain positive, hard in this place I know, and going to say he's going to excel here and the relationship with be mutually beneficial. What price odds would they say on him completing his move and playing/scoring against City on Monday.

W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

ricero wrote: »
    You dont have the euro millions numbers either for this Friday while your at it ?

A leopard never changes his spots.

• Advertisement

Good job he's not a leopard so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Tony Adams?
    Paul McGrath?
    Cantona?
    Suarez?
    Ginola?
    Collymore?
    Grobbelaar?
    Merson?

All flawed, but all exceptional players who made a huge difference to their clubs.
    Give the lad the benefit of the doubt, I was certainly happy to give Suarez another 2/3/50 bites before I would throw in the towel on him because he was that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ah cop on you eejits. his goalscoring record is very good. even for man city it was decent considering he was used as a sub in half his appearances.

should we play it safe and re sign voronin :L ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I was in Milan last week and my son bought a knock off Italian Balotelli top - blame him :)
    I'm mixed, could work out, could go horribly wrong, but for £16M I think it's worth a punt.
    Would be a good commercial signing too, think he would sell a lot of jerseys
    Kind of reminds me of Anelka a bit, hopefully if we get him it turns out better than his stint with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The squad has great potential and a man in charge who can channel that potential into big performances. If Balotelli does come in we have arguably the 3rd/4th best squad in the league.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ah cop on you eejits. his goalscoring record is very good. even for man city it was decent considering he was used as a sub in half his appearances.

Risk taking is necessary and at 16M that is just something that we cant turn down. Even if its closer to 20M can see them getting Eto in aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Na, Dosena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Risk taking is necessary and at 16M that is just something that we cant turn down. Even if its closer to 20M can see them getting Eto in aswell.

exactly. at worst he is going to score goals and be in the paper for the odd firework shenanigan. we were ALL a bit sad when balotelli left the EPL..admit it guys :D

Thud wrote: »
    Would be a good commercial signing too, think he would sell a lot of jerseys

Kind of reminds me of Anelka a bit, hopefully if we get him it turns out better than his stint with us

His stint with us wasn't actually that bad just GED didn't want him for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

doc_17 wrote: »
    2 things I don't like about this Balotelli deal. The first is that it's Balotelli and viryually anything can happen with him. And the second is the fact that we have money, and yet we couldn't get anybody else to come.

When Shane Long is worth £12 million and Borini £14 million then you know it's not a market overflowing with depth and quality!

There also appears to be a large gap between the top (Falco and Cavani) and the rest of the players "available"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Harry Palmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Ok, I'm gonna perform a flip flop myself, what can I say I'm fickle.

I didn't want him but didn't believe we were in for him, now that it looks imminent I want to jump on board the positivity express and I am rather excited at the idea of it.

I just hope he buys into the idea of playing for BR and Liverpool and we wont have too many games where he's poncing around the place looking like a walking red card, I guess I trust that if BR thinks he can do a job then that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We didn't want Sturridge either. It's not a huge risk.

exactly. at worst he is going to score goals and be in the paper for the odd firework shenanigan. we were ALL a bit sad when balotelli left the EPL..admit it guys :D
    I think whenever he scores a goal the tannoy should play the super mario sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Bony at 20 million or Ballotelli at 16 million?

Ballotelli for me all day long there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

My only fear is that he could be poison for the morale, team spirit and attitude of a squad who seem to have those qualities in spades at the moment.

Should he be willing to put in the work, he'll be an excellent signing.

I don't see why he would poison team morale. Even at City he remained very popular with his teammates until he left.

Don't think he was ever a bad lad. Just a bit daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Fantistic signing taking into acount the price and he is exactly to type of player that we needed ie centre forward but can play wide if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

BR talking about Mario in 2012

BvjyJp3IAAAREN-.png:large

Too many in your squad

With Sterling, Can & Mario we have a fair smattering if juvenile delinquency in there now.

Still if we get Mario for the same money Utd are paying for what I'd consider to be a pretty ropey Argentine defender its hard to argue....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I am sceptical about this but obviously I fully hope he proves me wrong like Sturridge did.

One thing we know is that he wont need time to settle in the PL which is good. IMO this was one of the downfalls of Spurs transfers last season. We will have Lallana, Lambert, Lovren and Ballotelli who shouldnt have this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A 24-year old proven goalscorer who has already won the Champions League, four league titles, the FA Cup and Copa Italia for £16million. It's a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Was never keen on Balotelli but find myself being quite excited about this because a) I was concerned about being linked to the likes of Eto'o and b) I was also worried we would not sign anyone at all.

He's not an ideal signing but is a bit of a bargain at £16m. If he can improve his attitude he could be one of the best, but I'm concerned about how he will play with Sturridge. Would a front three of Ballotelli, Sturridge and Sterling work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

the season was going to be interesting and after this it just escalated into a new dimension

Mario i welcome you but i fear you
    The lads got talent but it's like asking Dennis the Menace not to annoy the neighbors, it just ain't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm very much assuming it's fake obviously.

BvkMVSTIcAAgRW1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tusky wrote: »
    Was never keen on Balotelli but find myself being quite excited about this because a) I was concerned about being linked to the likes of Eto'o and b) I was also worried we would not sign anyone at all.

He's not an ideal signing but is a bit of a bargain at £16m. If he can improve his attitude he could be one of the best, but I'm concerned about how he will play with Sturridge. Would a front three of Ballotelli, Sturridge and Sterling work?

Sterling on the Left, Mario in the middle and Sturridge on the right with them all swapping and changing positions. I think it would work well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I don't see why he would poison team morale. Even at City he remained very popular with his teammates until he left.

Don't think he was ever a bad lad. Just a bit daft.

Granted. But he does sulk. I'm more worried that there is currently a voracious attitude for hard work, in part, due to the example Suarez set and that balotelli hasn't shown an appetite, previously, for this graft.
    (Most convoluted sentence ever, but you get my drift)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

In one of his interviews during pre season Rodgers made a big deal about how he will always sit down one-on-one with any potential signing and have an honest conversation about the way he works and what will be expected of them if they come to Liverpool. If hes looked Mario in the eye and thinks he can get the best out of him, then this could be a very exciting signing!

Hoping the registration goes through so he can at least be on the bench for City on Monday!

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Sterling on the Left, Mario in the middle and Sturridge on the right with them all swapping and changing positions. I think it would work well.

Which allows Coutinho to play in midfield, where he's most effective.
    But that means Henderson and Gerrard really need to be on their game defensively...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Not sure it's wise to move a CF who has just scored 24 goals in 34 games to the right, to make room for a CF who has never scored more than 18 in a season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tusky wrote: »
    Not sure it's wise to move a CF who has just scored 24 goals in 34 games to the right, to make room for a CF who has never scored more than 18 in a season.

Well im thinking Sturridge will be out right as he does like to drift out wide all the time.

Well im thinking Sturridge will be out right as he does like to drift out wide all the time.

As he did for a lot of Sunday's game, because we only have 1 striker on the pitch, and he likes to go looking for the ball and creating, as he did last season for Luis...

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    As he did for a lot of Sunday's game, because we only have 1 striker on the pitch, and he likes to go looking for the ball and creating, as he did last season for Luis...

So Mario in the middle makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just wondering why Spurs are leaving their bid so late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we sold Lucas, replaced him with Alex Song and signed a genuine quality keeper for competition for Mignolet, we would have the 3rd best squad in the league no question. But if we finish up now with Mario it will have been an excellent window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

His stint with us wasn't actually that bad just GED didn't want him for whatever reason.

Yeah suppose but I kinda meant we didn't get the best out of him he started banging them in afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

The real question if we get him is, how much will he cost in Fantasy Premier League?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement