Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

noodler wrote: »
    So who has the Ballo stats?

Goals last season and how many were penalties?

I this particular case I think it might be best to ignore the stats, sit back and enjoy the ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Are you suggesting that isn't something to get excited over?!

Rodgers would be like a kid on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Knex. wrote: »
    For the first time in fucking years, as well.

I'm delighted with how things have panned out this window, all things considered. (As long as he does sign, that is)

Oh yeah! We've come along way since trying to convince ourselves that Joe Cole and Stewart Downing were smart signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Balotelli has already had quite an impact on the thread, crazy amount of posts in the last 24 hours. The signing is terrifying and exciting in equal measure, but its guaranteed entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

City fan here, delighted Mario is back in the league and happy it's ye who got him in fairness. Fierce bargain if 16 mil is true... Monday night will be classic if he plays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Perhaps Lambert could do a "minder" job on Mario, share a house etc. Otherwise hire a live-in body guard or similar, maybe lock him up at Melwood for the evenings.

In a very big way we are inviting trouble and a media-circus around us, I don't generally care about other team's fans opinions but we cannot accept "being the victim" if we are ridiculed for Mario's antics - of which there will be a few I'm sure.

We are surely the Dallas of soap operas compared to the Emmerdales and Eastenders of the other teams, this time we are scripting our own tragi-comedy on a par with "Much Ado About Nothing". If he is producing the goods and then starts going off the rails we've gotta be strong with him.

You cannot help but like the guy for his childish outlook on life and he will replace Suarez in the "box office" department for sure, it's never boring following LFC and the next drama is always just round the corner. Bring it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

We haven't had much luck with Italian's Hope that is about to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Been breaking the news on Balotelli to some folks (anyone who'll listen), here's a compilation of reactions.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mip37miw1U1rmqqbro1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Coutinho: I've found a family at Liverpool
    "I found a family when I first arrived here. This club really is like a family and this helped me feel very comfortable when I first came to Liverpool.

"Playing alongside great players such as our captain, Steven Gerrard, and seeing how simple, humble and hard-working people they are also helped me learn and feel comfortable here."
    Hopefully this will rub off on Balotelli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Top Of The Kop ‏@TOTK96 15m

������ pic.twitter.com/WWVgH0eSP1

Bvkv7rvCUAA_lXo.jpg:large

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Spurs 1 down in Europa League hopefully they lose will force them to put a strong team out next Thursday ahead of our game against them next Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

noodler wrote: »
    So who has the Ballo stats?

Goals last season and how many were penalties?

Before tax or after tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Happy to see Mario being signed but will he be hold off Falcao and Reus for a first team place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

He'll bring some excitement and fireworks* to Anfield

No, he'll actually bring fireworks to Anfield

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

God id give my left nut for Balotellis entrance to be like this

• Advertisement

10593109_10202288093422121_9126325509745368969_n.jpg?oh=63eb862a980ec49aa7d120426842d0a2&oe=54714FBA&__gda__=1416062222_c39f155983270e6fa50827c8b710b8d5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Are you suggesting that isn't something to get excited over?!

For shame.

/googles it on phone when nobody's looking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think the club is looking very very good for a CL place this season. We need maybe a backup keeper and after that it's the strongest squad we've had in years, very balanced, lots of options for positions.

Gabrielle Marcotti giving his opinion on Mario now, he writes for the Times and ESPN.
    Speaking on Newstalk at the minute
    Marcotti: "To be brutally honest, this makes absolutely no sense to me to sell him at this price (16m). " #LFC #Balotelli

Marcotti: "If that's the number, it's an absolute steal for #LFC" #Balotelli #LFC

Marcotti: "The risk/reward situation is just tremendous for #LFC. It's a colosal screw up by Milan. Many Milan fans are angry about this"

Marcotti - "If #Balotelli just stays at this level, the fee is a success for #LFC. If he goes beyond, then you've hit the jackpot"

Marcotti: "He is 24 years old, and this factors in to #LFC's thinking. Another aspect, Balotelli in terms of endorsements, he's growing"

Marcotti - "If you're looking at global superstars at #LFC, once you get beyond #Gerrard, and #Sterling very soon, #Balotelli helps that"

Marcotti: "#LFC/#Rodgers know everything they need to know about him.Rodgers would feel he could handle #Balotelli better than anyone else"

BvkgCURIYAEuFH3.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leonardo Ulloa = £8m
    Robert Snodgrass = £8m
    Ross McCormack = £11m
    Shane Long = £12m
    Fabio Borini = £14m
    Mario Balotelli = £16m

Nice to get a real bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Massive, massive credit to Ian Ayre for this. He's taken a lot of stick for the Salah, Konopkyanka and Willian deals failing, but he's got an absolute steal in Balotelli for £16m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rob316 wrote: »
    Leonardo Ulloa = £8m
    Robert Snodgrass = £8m
    Ross McCormack = £11m
    Shane Long = £12m
    Fabio Borini = £14m
    Mario Balotelli = £16m

Nice to get a real bargain.

there's something in the waters in Milan, first Inter give us Coutinho for a steal of £8m and then Milan give us Mario for £16m.

Ayre has them under some sort of spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

joe123 wrote: »
    Bony at 20 million or Ballotelli at 16 million?

Ballotelli for me all day long there.

Not sure on what to think re the Balotelli deal . It could be brill or as some say it
    could have a negative affect on the team . Hoping he turns out to be class . Agree with the above tho ... i'd much rather see Balotelli at the club than Bony for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

there's something in the waters in Milan, first Inter give us Coutinho for a steal of £8m and then Milan give us Mario for £16m.

Ayre has then under some sort of spell.

I was reading something from the mirror earlier Maddock said they wanted £40m at the start of the summer, then when we played them over in the US they wanted £24m, today we negotiated it down to £16m. Don't know how true that is but well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Berlusconi's quotes after Italy got knocked out of the World Cup:

Berlusconi claims a €35m (£27.7m) deal to "a top English club", believed to be Arsenal, has stalled because the 23-year-old was lacklustre in Brazil.

"Other than Italy, I’m the one who lost at the World Cup," Gazzetta Dello Sport report Berlusconi said at a political meeting.

"I was selling Balotelli to an English team for several millions, but, after this World Cup, who will buy him now?"

"I was going to sell it to a top English club for €35 million, now the deal has stalled."

Possible that it could have been Liverpool he was on about, although I can't see how his world cup display would cause Milan to almost halve their original asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I have to say, £16m for Mario is a fantastic piece of business for Liverpool IMO. 28 in 86 as a kid for Inter, 30 in 80 for City, 30 in 54 for AC and 13 in 33 for Italy (as per Wiki). He's just turned 24 also.

I'd be very happy with this if I were a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I have a feeling that there may be another reason that the fee is so low. Perhaps they're looking for someone in exchange, like Suso or Enrique, even on loan. Hasn't been reported yet so hopefully I'm wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I was one of those who didn't really want Mario at the club because of his antics, but I do have to say, that in this time with the amount of stupid money going for footballers, getting him for the likes of £16 million when we value the likes of Borini at £14 is just stupid silly money. To be very fair, Ayre has always gotten stick but this summer he deserves a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Paully D wrote: »
    I have to say, £16m for Mario is a fantastic piece of business for Liverpool IMO. 28 in 86 as a kid for Inter, 30 in 80 for City, 30 in 54 for AC and 13 in 33 for Italy (as per Wiki). He's just turned 24 also.

while being subbed on and off regulary too. impressive stats indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Berlusconi's quotes after Italy got knocked out of the World Cup:

Berlusconi claims a €35m (£27.7m) deal to "a top English club", believed to be Arsenal, has stalled because the 23-year-old was lacklustre in Brazil.

"Other than Italy, I’m the one who lost at the World Cup," Gazzetta Dello Sport report Berlusconi said at a political meeting.

"I was selling Balotelli to an English team for several millions, but, after this World Cup, who will buy him now?"

"I was going to sell it to a top English club for €35 million, now the deal has stalled."
    Possible that it could have been Liverpool he was on about, although I can't see how his world cup display would cause Milan to almost halve their original asking price.

And Berlusconi is a man whose word is his bond, has to be the truth ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The price for Ballotelli really is a great piece of business. Lukaku went to everton for 28 million. Long went for 12. Mcormack for 11.

In such an inflated market we have done well here. The more I think about the whole deal the happier I am becoming.

Rodgers might just be the ideal man to get the best out of Balotelli too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

And Berlusconi is a man whose word is his bond, has to be the truth ;)

Makes no sense to come out with that if it wasn't true, although Berlusconi doesn't seem to know or care what he does be at most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mario Balotelli’s future seems set to be at Liverpool. Milan and Liverpool have already reached an agreement, now the one between the English club and the player is missing, but the parties are negotiating. Liverpool have already presented their first economic offer: €5.8M wages, £90,000 per week. Important figures, Balotelli is increasingly close to Liverpool.
    http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/heres-liverpools-offer-to-balotelli-the-details/

Looks like it should hopefully go through soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hopefully we get this one over the line it's a great price for a really good player pretty much how I felt about the Remy deal. I wonder if these two deals are in anyway related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm probably on my own here in thinking he's a good player but also quite over-rated. He'd be worth circa 20m if he has his head screwed on, had a decent attitude at all times, head didn't go down easily etc. As it is, I don't think he's worth the money. Most people think this guy could be a superstar if he got his head right, I just don't see that. Just my opinion.... cue the abuse...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Paully D wrote: »
    I have t say, £16m for Mario is a fantastic piece of business for Liverpool IMO. 28 in 86 as a kid for Inter, 30 in 80 for City, 30 in 54 for AC and 13 in 33 for Italy (as per Wiki). He's just turned 24 also.

I would say you would be delighted to see him sign for Sunderland because they could have afforded him if they dug deep . Let's hope it can mean you get the man you are after in fabio Borini and everyone is happy .

I'm probably on my own here in thinking he's a good player but also quite over-rated. He'd be worth circa 20m if he has his head screwed on, had a decent attitude at all times, head didn't go down easily etc. As it is, I don't think he's worth the money. Most people think this guy could be a superstar if he got his head right, I just don't see that. Just my opinion.... cue the abuse...!

Ah no abuse man, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. His behaviour in the past can't be ignored. I do think though that if anyone can get the best from him, it'll be Brendan Rodgers. Rodgers also wasn't going to entertain nonsense from Suarez after he bit Ivanonvic in that Chelsea match and had him training on his own. It wasn't long before Suarez came round and apologised. I think if Balotelli goes off the rails Rodgers would snap him back and still get the best from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ha. Indy is dropping hints about DiMaria coming to Liverpool.

I actually love Indy these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Even if Super Mario does come in, won't we still need another forward especially if Borini goes?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

murpho999 wrote: »
    Even if Super Mario does come in, won't we still need another forward especially if Borini goes?

No, I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

The price for Ballotelli really is a great piece of business. Lukaku went to everton for 28 million. Long went for 12. Mcormack for 11.

In such an inflated market we have done well here. The more I think about the whole deal the happier I am becoming.

Rodgers might just be the ideal man to get the best out of Balotelli too.

Where does Rodgers get the reputation of being a super man-manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Genuinely excited about this. We were looking a bit light on mental with Luis' departure, so glad to see that sorted now. Both Sturridge and Sterling were supposed to be borderline unmanageable earlier in their careers, weren't they? Rodgers' management skills and Mario's increasing maturity could make this very, very good business.

I can't wait to see the reception he gets on his Anfield debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Makes no sense to come out with that if it wasn't true, although Berlusconi doesn't seem to know or care what he does be at most of the time.

Agreed. But I dont expect him to make sense. He's a buffoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

murpho999 wrote: »

A one year contract for Eto'o or something like that would do the job. Especially with Origi coming in next year.

I'd like Borini to stay but they love him at Sunderland and Poyet is doing everything he can to get him. Its a perfect move for Borini, i hope he doesn't pass up the opportunity to go and play week in week out. The deal is good for everyone.

Agreed. But I dont expect him to make sense. He's a buffoon.

He's a cute hoor is what he is. He makes Bertie look like an amateur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I love how some media are describing this move as desparate from the club. Taking everything into account such as time left in the window, the player's age, the player's albeit flawed genius and crucially the fee in question, I don't see anything desparate about it.

looder wrote: »
    Where does Rodgers get the reputation of being a super man-manager?

From the turn around seen in
    Sturridge
    Suarez
    Sterling
    Henderson

Also because Gerrard said he is the best man manager he has ever worked under
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26625628

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Damn you, Joe.

Stop talking sense, at least until i catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Damn you, Joe.

Stop talking sense, at least until i catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

From the turn around seen in
    Sturridge
    Suarez
    Sterling
    Henderson

Also because Gerrard said he is the best man manager he has ever worked under
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26625628

Of course Gerrard is going to say that. He's the current manager. What else is he going to say? :p I'll remind you he said Alonso was the best player he played with, and then he said Torres was, and then he said Suarez was. That's how footballers are.

I like Rodgers. A lot. I think he is a good man manager and a good manager full stop. I was convinced he would be a success when some in here were calling him brent or "the Rodgers" and wanting Rafa back. But opinions on how good he is from players currently in the side are virtually worthless.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement