Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

From the turn around seen in
    Sturridge
    Suarez
    Sterling
    Henderson

Also because Gerrard said he is the best man manager he has ever worked under
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26625628

OK, I'm chuffed Balotelli is going to Liverpool. Very smart signing and wish you all the best - it shouldn't be dull anyway.

Now that said, what the hell is the above on about?

What 'turn around' did the above players have? This is the type of fawning nonsense that just piles pressure and expectation on the club.

He's signing good players and hopefully they'll do well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Good luck with Mario lads; you'll need it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Kirby wrote: »
    Of course Gerrard is going to say that. He's the current manager. What else is he going to say? :p I'll remind you he said Alonso was the best player he played with, and then he said Torres was, and then he said Suarez was. That's how footballers are.

Seems pretty chronological Alonso, Torres then Suarez. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rossc007 wrote: »
    Seems pretty chronological Alonso, Torres then Suarez. I don't see anything wrong with that.

No? There isn't a little bit of "love the one your with?" about it? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kirby wrote: »
    Of course Gerrard is going to say that. He's the current manager. What else is he going to say? :p I'll remind you he said Alonso was the best player he played with, and then he said Torres was, and then he said Suarez was. That's how footballers are.

I can see where you're coming from. I will say though that I never heard of Gerrard saying Hodgson was the best anything. I can't recall him saying anything specific of Dalglish or Rafa either but I am ready to be wrong about that. I guess with Torres, Alonso and Suarez it was in context. They were the best he'd played with at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

rossc007 wrote: »

Agreed. At their given times at the club they all were the best IMO.
    Meanwhile I hope to jaysus the rumours of Utd. looking for Alonso turn out to be wishful thinking. If Real are letting him go I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

gosplan wrote: »
    OK, I'm chuffed Balotelli is going to Liverpool. Very smart signing and wish you all the best - it shouldn't be dull anyway.

What 'turn around' did the above players have? This is the type of fawning nonsense that just piles pressure and expectation on the club.

Suarez and Sturridge hit new heights under Rodgers, Henderson has improved dramatically over BR time here and he's helping Sterling become a fantastic young player. Turn around is an incorrect way to describe it but he is certainly getting the best out of what he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This really is a classic John Henry moneyball signing.

Given their size, skillset, goalscoring record, age and how they play, Balotelli is very similar to Diego Costa. However the market has the former priced nearly £20m less because there may be some 'issues' regarding his character.

Manage these 'issues', and you've essentially moneyballed the market and bagged a £35m player for less than half price.

Fail to manage these 'issues' and at worst you offload at a loss, but given his profile, potential and age, probably not a drastic hit on what you paid. I'm sure someone will pay in the region of £8m - £10m unless he completely loses the run of himself.

So even if it's 50-50 that he succeeds or fails, Liverpool are quids in. Upside (£20m) grossly outweighing the downside (£6m-£8m). Further, with the player development structures operating as they are at Liverpool, and a proven man manager at the helm, I would propose the probability that he succeeds to be far higher than 50-50.

For me, this has transfer of the Summer written all over it. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I'm probably on my own here in thinking he's a good player but also quite over-rated. He'd be worth circa 20m if he has his head screwed on, had a decent attitude at all times, head didn't go down easily etc. As it is, I don't think he's worth the money. Most people think this guy could be a superstar if he got his head right, I just don't see that. Just my opinion.... cue the abuse...!

Sensible post, he's a risk for sure, but if you put it in perspective it makes more sense than Bony at 20m, Eto on a free or Falcoa on loan.

To date, hes not lived up to the hype, thats why hes only 16m I suppose. We'll see how good a man manager Rodgers is now. Worst case scenario hes quality backup for Sturridge.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Suarez and Sturridge hit new heights under Rodgers, Henderson has improved dramatically over BR time here and he's helping Sterling become a fantastic young player. Turn around is an incorrect way to describe it but he is certainly getting the best out of what he has.

Granted but a huge amount of that is just basic development.

Of course Rodgers is getting the most from these guys and he's clearly an excellent manager but the idea that their careers were going downhill is very unfair on the players.

IMO Balotelli might do very well at Liverpool but it'll be down to the man himself. Maybe he'll be more mature but it's rediculous to suggest that Rodgers has some way to get to him that nobody at Inter, City, Milan or the Italian national side could replicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

NukaCola wrote: »

What on earth is he doing with Glen Johnson so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm probably on my own here in thinking he's a good player but also quite over-rated. He'd be worth circa 20m if he has his head screwed on, had a decent attitude at all times, head didn't go down easily etc. As it is, I don't think he's worth the money. Most people think this guy could be a superstar if he got his head right, I just don't see that. Just my opinion.... cue the abuse...!

I would argue that he's the most technically proficient CF in the world with the exception of Ibrahimovich and maybe Van Persie in terms of shot technique.

His hold up play, touch, ability to strike a ball, strength and pace are all top notch.

That doesn't necessarily translate to a top class player, but most of the raw material is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

gosplan wrote: »

Sturridge was a squad player at Chelsea destined to play for Sunderland or some other mid table team hitting 12+ goals a season. Rodgers bought him, everyone said he would be a squad player at best and he was the second top scorer in the premiership and the most prolific striker after 50 games in Liverpools history. Their entire history.

Sterling at one point looked like he was about to throw his endless talent away. Court cases for assault and was publicly castigated by Rodgers in the media and told to turn his life around if he wanted to play for Liverpool again. He did and last season was his reward. Have a look at this link and watch the video
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-documentary-sneak-peek-watch-brendan-1282285

Henderson was about to be sold to Fulham until a heart to heart with Rodgers changed his mind. He was probably our 3rd best player last season.

etc etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No deal has been confirmed yet right? I wouldn't be celebrating before an official announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

a few years back Balotelli was fined for smashing the door down trying to escape Anfield now he's being welcomed through the Shankly Gates with open arms.

Football really is a funny old game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I love how some media are describing this move as desparate from the club. Taking everything into account such as time left in the window, the player's age, the player's albeit flawed genius and crucially the fee in question, I don't see anything desparate about it.

It's because of Rodgers comments a few weeks back about categorically denying Balotelli would be a Liverpool player. Things change very quickly and it was a silly answer to give, he should have given the stock "you can never say never, but..." answer.

If he hadn't said that and this deal was happening, it would be being widely praised IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No deal has been confirmed yet right? I wouldn't be celebrating before an official announcement.
    Yeah. Mina Rialo is Balotelli's agent & is also Assaidi's who is looking for a pay off from Liverpool which stopped him from joining Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Anyone got any stats on the amount of games he has missed due to suspension over the last few seasons?

What on earth is he doing with Glen Johnson so?

Replacing him. Same as Downing Cole and Carroll. Some players just turn out ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Sturridge was a squad player at Chelsea destined to play for Sunderland or some other mid table team hitting 12+ goals a season. Rodgers bought him, everyone said he would be a squad player at best and he was the second top scorer in the premiership and the most prolific striker after 50 games in Liverpools history. Their entire history.

Sterling at one point looked like he was about to throw his endless talent away. Court cases for assault and was publicly castigated by Rodgers in the media and told to turn his life around if he wanted to play for Liverpool again. He did and last season was his reward. Have a look at this link and watch the video
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-documentary-sneak-peek-watch-brendan-1282285

Henderson was about to be sold to Fulham until a heart to heart with Rodgers changed his mind. He was probably our 3rd best player last season.

etc etc etc etc

I don't remember anyone making those comments about sturridge???

etc etc etc etc

They are what 24, 19 and 24?

Believe what you will.

Majority of people (myself included) said it at the time.

Majority of people (myself included) said it at the time.

So you said he would score 12 goals at Sunderland.

He always had the talent, just deserved a chance which Rodgers gave him.

It happens with players at every club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

woodyg wrote: »
    a few years back Balotelli was fined for smashing the door down trying to escape Anfield now he's being welcomed through the Shankly Gates with open arms.

Football really is a funny old game!

I still think we!ll take him, look at this from Borini 2 years ago.
    "The fans played a big part (in me joining Liverpool)," Borini told FourFourTwo magazine. "When I was with Italy at Euro 2012, I was talking to Balotelli about England, and he told me that Liverpool had the most exciting fans to play in front of. He described it as a beautiful experience."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/fabio-balotelli-told-me-about-kop

Getting very excited about this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's not strictly true. Henderson was offered the chance to go to Fulham by Rodgers and he turned it down himself. It wasn't like Rodgers spoke to him and convinced him to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Because you're so certain it will be messed up by someone? What a horrible attitude you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Paully D wrote: »
    That's not strictly true. Henderson was offered the chance to go to Fulham by Rodgers and he turned it down himself. It wasn't like Rodgers spoke to him and convinced him to stay.

Exactly, Rodgers was all for him leaving was my understanding.

Fabrizio Romano ‏@FabrizioRomano 21s
    Mario #Balotelli will fly tomorrow morning to Liverpool. He'll have medicals then he'll sign his contract for #LFC. Done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

etc etc etc etc

Those players achievements are not all down to BR, Give them some credit, I liked BR from the start and think he's doing a top job but he didn't turn water into wine.

Danny always had goals in him, Sterling still has a long way to go, and Hendo was being pushed out but refused to go fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Name change suggestions? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Any idea what number he'll be getting boys? Just decided Im getting the yellow kit first thing tomorrow!

Any idea what number he'll be getting boys? Just decided Im getting the yellow kit first thing tomorrow!

45 surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Marioistheman surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

45 is free so I'd say he will stick with that. Won't be officially announced by the morning though, so u are running a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Fabrizio Romano ‏@FabrizioRomano 21s
    Mario #Balotelli will fly tomorrow morning to Liverpool. He'll have medicals then he'll sign his contract for #LFC. Done deal.

Wages and agents fees sorted??? I was sure they'd be hiccups!!! So just the medical so, sure what can go wrong #Remy

Used_Car_Sales_Man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Will he be eligible for Monday night?

Will he be eligible for Monday night?

If he signs by noon tomorrow then yes

This is a very enjoyable 9mins watch. The speed of his feet and his control is outrageous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Our Year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reckon Mario is the sort to desire the hero worship from fans. He was never going to get that at the clubs he was at but if he fills the Suarez void he will get it at Liverpool

Rumours on twitter that Rodgers wants to bring in another striker as well which makes it seem like Borini is going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Marioistheman surely?

Looks good doesn't it :cool:
    Benimar wrote: »
    45 is free so I'd say he will stick with that. Won't be officially announced by the morning though, so u are running a risk.

I'll wait on official word before I get it printed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We want chilli willy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The obligatory Ballotelli compilation from last season with Milan.

I watch that and I see a player that celebrates goals, bullies defenders, WANTS to score goals, finds team-mates well.

More excited now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

At the time, I said if Sturridge scored more than 10 goals for the rest of the season when we signed him in January that i'd....... Well lets not go down that road again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Got on well at Milan in a team that was seriously struggling.

This thing of Brendan Rodgers being the man who can "finally tame" Balotelli is nonsense, he's been calm for the duration of his time at Milan.

Was the marquee signing the fans were crying out for when he landed in January 2013 and almost single-handedly dragged us into the top 3. Had a reasonably good season last season considering how poor the team was and the lack of continuity (serious number of transfers in and out and managerial changes)

His Biggest Weaknesses imo -

Discipline (picks up needless yellow cards but I genuinely have never seen a player fouled so much in my life. Every game he is targeted by the opposition in order to get a reaction)

Motivation - Sometimes he looks like he just doesn't want to be on the pitch and if things are going against him then the head can go down.

Biggest Strengths -

Magic Moments - He is capable of that moment of magic. The majority of his goals came late on in games where he may have been doing little up until then. He is a game-winner and there isn't that many around.

Hold-up play - His hold up play is very good. Technically he's very sound and I can see him linking well in Liverpool's attack.

Set-Pieces - One of the best penalty takers in the world so I'll be surprised if he doesn't become the No.1 penalty taker as he is just that good at them. (Lambert is very good too but I can't imagine he'll start). He's also a very good free kick taker. Expect him to rifle a few free's in this season.

Overall, gutted that he's leaving Milan and even more gutted that it's for £16m-£20m. He really is worth more than that and the risk involved is minimal. It's almost a guarantee that that transfer fee will be recouped when he moves on regardless of how he performs and if he plays well then it could be trebled.

Great signing for ye

If all is the above is true, why are Milan only looking for Stg 17m? Why the fire-sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

At the time, I said if Sturridge scored more than 10 goals for the rest of the season when we signed him in January that i'd....... Well lets not go down that road again.

That's the problem you never went down THAT road:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I heart mental mario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Well done ayre.

Now go get cech.

garra wrote: »
    If all is the above is true, why are Milan only looking for Stg 17m? Why the fire-sale?

They have no European football this year, his wages are far too high at Milan. They won't be a European force again for a number of years.

• Advertisement

He scored 8 goals in 12 for Bolton the season before, you don't seem to be a good talent spotter, or at least writing sturridge off for no reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement