Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

People proclaiming Rodgers as a coaching genius at this point in his career have overstated things based on the evidence so far. He led the team to a fantastic season last time out, and finished the previous one strongly and there is every chance he will do the same this season. I do think he is a very good manager/coach who will hopefully get better with time, but it is not certain he will live up to the hype that some have lavished on him so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Name change suggestions? :P

Why Always Me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    People proclaiming Rodgers as a coaching genius at this point in his career have overstated things based on the evidence so far. He led the team to a fantastic season last time out, and finished the previous one strongly and there is every chance he will do the same this season. I do think he is a very good manager/coach who will hopefully get better with time, but it is not certain he will live up to the hype that some have lavished on him so far.

Agreed. He needs to prove it again this season. Lots of potential and an excellent showing last season. His maiden CL season will test him at another level.

I believe he has all the required ingredients and will go on to show it consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Baby, you're a fiiiirewooooork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Balotelli signs

Gerrard/Lucas/Allen/Henderson/Can/Coutinho/Lallana/Markovic/Sterling/Sturridge/Balotelli/Lambert

12 players for 6 positions. We have never had this kind of quality in depth, so that's exciting. That's excluding Suso and Ibe, who I'd imagine will go out on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

5starpool wrote: »

Nothing in life is certain. But one thing is true - Rodgers is delivering. The club is far ahead of where they thought they'd be; in terms of CL football, title challenges, player development and calibre of player bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

If Balotelli signs

Gerrard/Lucas/Allen/Henderson/Can/Coutinho/Lallana/Markovic/Sterling/Sturridge/Balotelli/Lambert

12 players for 6 positions. We have never had this kind of quality in depth, so that's exciting. That's excluding Suso and Ibe, who I'd imagine will go out on loan.

Imagine when Reus and Falcao sign before the end of the window too?
    We will unstoppable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Henderson was about to be sold to Fulham until a heart to heart with Rodgers changed his mind. He was probably our 3rd best player last season.
    I don't think there was any such heart to heart - Henderson was almost the victim of Rodgers asserting his authority at the club. Rodgers tried to offload him to Fulham in part exchange for Clint Dempsey. As crimes against the football club go, that is up there with Hodgson's signing of a certain fullback and including two young prospects in the deal. Henderson was not damaged goods, he had been played out of position by Dalglish in order to accommodate Charlie Adam in the side - Rodgers wanted him out of the way to accommodate Joe Allen. Luckily for us, Fulham refused to deal with Liverpool and Dempsey ended up joining Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If Balotelli signs

Also excludes Assaidi and Borini!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Love this photo...a caption anyone?

BuHpY6kIIAEm_0Z.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"The ref just called me Cissokho!"

"Did the same to me earlier!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bet Mario would love to score on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

#DareToCissokho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

'Why's Gibbs getting sent off?!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why Always Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Dickerty wrote: »
    I made the same comparison this morning. The kind of maverick that sometimes turns a good team into a title winning team...

Lol at maverick, how the language is changing when discussing Mario now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

If Balotelli signs

and not including Borini and Origi who will be arriving back into the squad next year hopefully. I definitely think we should give Borini a shot at being the 4th striker this year and if he doesn't work out ship him out next year to make way for Origi.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Kolo told me he's only 33.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I heart Bib'otelli

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Love your hair! Can I get your barbers number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd be happy enough getting Mario, especially if the asking price is what's being quoted. A bloody steal and as someone has already said he could become a fan favorite, something he appears to enjoy. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Exciting times... This thread.'s gonna pop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

El Inho wrote: »
    Exciting times... This thread.'s gonna pop

Only 10 minutes til we see what Claire Rourke was talking about out.

BenThere wrote: »
    and not including Borini and Origi who will be arriving back into the squad next year hopefully. I definitely think we should give Borini a shot at being the 4th striker this year and if he doesn't work out ship him out next year to make way for Origi.

Ben

Rodgers should be sitting Borini down and telling him he has absolutely no future at the club, he'll never be a regular and will only get games if a plague descends over the first team squad! Then tell him to pack his bags and piss off to Sunderland so we can get £14m for him.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind! He'll never make it at Liverpool, the pressure of playing for a big club will always get to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Dare2Mario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Mario attending his medical with Dr Zaff

BvlhgvWIQAEZWX-.jpg

Only 10 minutes til we see what Claire Rourke was talking about out.

From her Twitter it seems it's just a show with Roy Evans and Mark Wright on it.....oh and a couple of Youth team players!

I'm probably on my own here in thinking he's a good player but also quite over-rated. He'd be worth circa 20m if he has his head screwed on, had a decent attitude at all times, head didn't go down easily etc. As it is, I don't think he's worth the money. Most people think this guy could be a superstar if he got his head right, I just don't see that. Just my opinion.... cue the abuse...!

Ability, strength, pace, technique, finishing, he is the embodiment of a top top striker. Id be the first to criticize his attitude or team ethic, but when on form he is a sight to behold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

kfallon wrote: »
    Rodgers should be sitting Borini down and telling him he has absolutely no future at the club, he'll never be a regular and will only get games if a plague descends over the first team squad! Then tell him to pack his bags and piss off to Sunderland so we can get £14m for him.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind! He'll never make it at Liverpool, the pressure of playing for a big club will always get to him!

*Cough* Henderson *cough*

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    *Cough* Henderson *cough*

Henderson hadn't been as bad as Borini! Borini never even looks like scoring goals for Liverpool.

Plus we would never have made a profit on Henderson if we sold him during 12/13.....we will make a profit on Borini, it's a no brainer to get rid!

the pressure of playing for a big club will always get to him!
    And exactly how do you determine that? Before he can be a flop for not handling the pressure he first has to get some games!!!

Ben

And exactly how do you determine that? Before he can be a flop for not handling the pressure he first has to get some games!!!

Ben

Ok well answer me this, who do you propose we drop to give him (another) chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Will he be eligible for Monday night?
    Not likely if hasn't left Italy today. It's a 2-3 hour flight from Milan to the UK which doesn't leave a lot of time for the medical, as he has to be registered by 12:00pm in order to be eligible for the game this weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Ok well answer me this, who do you propose we drop to give him (another) chance?

Another chance? He has played 13 games for Liverpool and I don't recall him ever starting up front.

Talisman wrote: »
    Not likely if hasn't left Italy today. It's a 2-3 hour flight from Milan to the UK which doesn't leave a lot of time for the medical, as he has to be registered by 12:00pm in order to be eligible for the game this weekend.

Henry's private jet? Or is he expected to fly Ryanair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

ush wrote: »
    Henry's private jet? Or is he expected to fly Ryanair?

You can always charter a plane. No big deal for businesses at this level.

Another chance? He has played 13 games for Liverpool and I don't recall him ever starting up front.

If the Balotelli deal goes thru we'll have Mario, Sturridge, Lambert, Sterling, Markovic, Llalana, Coutinho as offensive players not to mention Suso and Ibe. Do you honestly think it's worth keeping Borini? Do you think he'll be the first one we turn to if we are behind in a game and that's presuming he's on the bench. We can sell him at a profit and cut our ties, it's the best move for everyone.

And as for only playing 13 games and giving him a chance, the likes of Poulsen and Konchesky were castigated after about 5 so it's not like supporters always give players time to prove themselves. Sometimes it's plainly obvious the player doesn't fit the club and I believe this is a prime example of it.

Did he not start up front against Hearts in the Europa League in 12/13?

In domestic cup games I propose we play Borini and Lambert. Due that satisfactorily answer your question?

Ben

In domestic cup games I purpose we play Borini and Lambert. Due that satisfactorily answer your question?

Ben

So just keep a guy who has no chance of playing PL or CL instead of cashing in at a profit for £14m? :confused:

Worth keeping for a League Cup campaign!

daRobot wrote: »
    You can always charter a plane. No big deal for businesses at this level.

So he could be signed up by noon tomorrow. Medicals take about 3hrs I do believe.

• Advertisement

If he signs by noon tomorrow then yes

This is a very enjoyable 9mins watch. The speed of his feet and his control is outrageous

Some of that stuff is crazy talent.. he seems to just have that vainglorious impudence in his finishing. Gets fouled a LOT!!

Talisman wrote: »
    he has to be registered by 12:00pm in order to be eligible for the game this weekend.

Incorrect

Incorrect

Ah, you tease you. What is correct then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

John Giles on the Balotelli transfer on Newstalk: "I wouldn't take him for nothing", "It's a disastrous signing for Liverpool", "To me it looks like Rodgers is not in control of signing the players". I like Giles, well I used to, but he hasn't a clue here. Rodgers not in control of the signings... Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Off topic, but Eder Balanta is signing for Sampdoria for £5 million I see.

Will be worth 4 or 5 times that in a couple of seasons.

Love to see us have signed this guy and loan him out for a couple of seasons like we are doing with Ilori.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Well since I applied for access to this thread i thought I should post something.

I have to say that I'm quite thrilled that we have signed Mario Balotelli for only 16 million particularly having seen that clip posted yesterday of his spectacular goal.

Having watched the pre-season games i was impressed by the organisation of the team but the lack of presence in the box was glaring.

The match against Southampton didn't fill me with much confidence as Southampton played far more as a team whereas we had a few good individual performances. The passing lacked sharpness and they struggled to find any space. I'm sure that they are much better than that and i can only presume that there might have being a bit of lethargy after their recent travel. However what do I know anyway.

I have supported Liverpool since 1977 which doesn't mean I know much but only that I have lots of memories!

Ben

I think its more the expectations to be met at LFC compared to Sunderland, he will not score enough goals at the top level to play long-term for us and loyal as he is and all... its just better for everyone if he gets games elsewhere. If he could leave his fighting spirit for Mario it would be a perfect world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

John Giles on the Balotelli transfer on Newstalk: "I wouldn't take him for nothing", "It's a disastrous signing for Liverpool", "To me it looks like Rodgers is not in control of signing the players". I like Giles, well I used to, but he hasn't a clue here. Rodgers not in control of the signings... Ridiculous.

i'd tend to agree with you but BR was very adamant not so long ago that Balotelli wouldn't be a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I won't lie I stopped reading after Giles

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement