Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Berlusconi's quotes after Italy got knocked out of the World Cup:

Berlusconi claims a €35m (£27.7m) deal to "a top English club", believed to be Arsenal, has stalled because the 23-year-old was lacklustre in Brazil.

"Other than Italy, I’m the one who lost at the World Cup," Gazzetta Dello Sport report Berlusconi said at a political meeting.

"I was selling Balotelli to an English team for several millions, but, after this World Cup, who will buy him now?"

"I was going to sell it to a top English club for €35 million, now the deal has stalled."

Possible that it could have been Liverpool he was on about, although I can't see how his world cup display would cause Milan to almost halve their original asking price.

Sure he was very good against england
    Why Always Me?

don't think it's possible to have a question mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

don't think it's possible to have a question mark

Why No Question Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

greendom wrote: »
    You'll get relegated with a team of Ballotellis.

True dat, but you need some cvnt that has that spark of brilliance every now and again. Balotelli could provide that. If the rest of the team can do all that chasing, high tempo running around stuff, balotelli will bury a high percentage of the chances he gets. He is very similar to sturridge, just what we need. He also is big enough for our plan B, lob it in the box 'tactic'.

I am worried and excited about the signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Soryr but in the bere in london , os ballotelki a done deal ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ush wrote: »
    Borini was surely only being kept around until another striker was found.

I really don't think he wants to leave despite Liverpool's transfer activity and everything else indicating that he's surplus to requirements.

Further to that, I really don't think he wants to go to Sunderland either. It's a huge step down to make for him on a permanent basis. If an Inter Milan etc came in for him I think he probably would bit the bullet and leave.

The problem now is that in all reality, no other club is going to come in with an offer of £14m that Sunderland have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I hope Steve Peters has good Italian :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

cjmc wrote: »
    Soryr but in the bere in london , os ballotelki a done deal ??

At first I thought that was an encrypted post informing us Balottei was signing for Chelsea.:)

No is the answer, apparently he's signing around noon tomorrow subject to medical and a behaviour clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Paully D wrote: »
    I really don't think he wants to leave despite Liverpool's transfer activity and everything else indicating that he's surplus to requirements.

Further to that, I really don't think he wants to go to Sunderland either. It's a huge step down to make for him on a permanent basis. If an Inter Milan etc came in for him I think he probably would bit the bullet and leave.

The problem now is that in all reality, no other club is going to come in with an offer of £14m that Sunderland have done.

Tricky one for him, fail at Liverpool , not so bad, somebody will still come in for you. Fail at Sunderland, your career is in trouble. Fcuker needs to back himself that if he goes to Sunderland, he can bag a ball of goals. Or at least be an superior Shane Long. He probably is the latter, but it is a risky move for him. A lot of teams dont want that type of striker anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Tricky one for him, fail at Liverpool , not so bad, somebody will still come in for you. Fail at Sunderland, your career is in trouble. Fcuker needs to back himself that if he goes to Sunderland, he can bag a ball of goals. Or at least be an superior Shane Long. He probably is the latter, but it is a risky move for him. A lot of teams dont want that type of striker anymore

He'll put in the effort. But you know its harder to score at a Sunderland, than it maybe is at a LFC or CFC. Poor ****.

Maybe he can resurrect his career in Serie A. Then again that would mean that LFC miss out on a wedge of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Potential Ballotelli shenanigans aside for a moment, regardless of what happens we are going to have a seriously impressive bench this year and that alone is something to get very excited about!

Rodgers knows how to impact a game with a change or two and this year he will have any amount of options. Have to say Suarez aside I'm very happy with how this window has turned out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I just had a read through a few pages of the liverpool thread from two years ago and its some contrast from the doom and gloom over missing out on the signing of Clint Dempsey.

Some amount of banned/closed accounts from back then.

Ballotelli and sturridge both fit and in form with coutinho and sterling behind them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

milltown wrote: »
    Agreed. At their given times at the club they all were the best IMO.
    Meanwhile I hope to jaysus the rumours of Utd. looking for Alonso turn out to be wishful thinking. If Real are letting him go I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I've been saying that for ages, I think there is two great years left in Xabi and he comes with a wealth of CL experience and a club that still loves him, would kill to see him back at Anfield

slingerz wrote: »
    Reckon Mario is the sort to desire the hero worship from fans. He was never going to get that at the clubs he was at but if he fills the Suarez void he will get it at Liverpool

Rumours on twitter that Rodgers wants to bring in another striker as well which makes it seem like Borini is going

Yeah I think Mario and the fans are going to click instantaneously and it could turn out that LFC is made for him. He strikes me as the type of player who needs to feel wanted and if he performs at Anfield he's get droves of adoration.

I think he is a good signing at a great price. In fact I feel with Mario we've at least gone some way to replacing Suarez whereas I didn't feel like that before. For sure he could be a risk but I think his reputation precedes him and much of it is media driven. If the worst thing he does at LFC is let off a few fireworks I the jacks then I won't be too bothered once there's plenty of fireworks on the pitch. All that said I think the club and BR are going to have to man manage him carefully. I've no doubt in my mind that the Sun will be hounding him in the same way they did Suarez. He's a Liverpool player now so he'll be a marked man by the British tabloid media who would love to see him fail at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I doubt the media want to see him fail, i reckon they just want him to keep doing barmy stuff. I'd say they're delighted he's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've been saying that for ages, I think there is two great years left in Xabi and he comes with a wealth of CL experience and a club that still loves him, would kill to see him back at Anfield

Yeah I think Mario and the fans are going to click instantaneously and it could turn out that LFC is made for him. He strikes me as the type of player who needs to feel wanted and if he performs at Anfield he's get droves of adoration.

I think he is a good signing at a great price. In fact I feel with Mario we've at least gone some way to replacing Suarez whereas I didn't feel like that before. For sure he could be a risk but I think his reputation precedes him and much of it is media driven. If the worst thing he does at LFC is let off a few fireworks I the jacks then I won't be too bothered once there's plenty of fireworks on the pitch. All that said I think the club and BR are going to have to man manage him carefully. I've no doubt in my mind that the Sun will be hounding him in the same way they did Suarez. He's a Liverpool player now so he'll be a marked man by the British tabloid media who would love to see him fail at Anfield.

Just don't forget his birthday card ! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Mario will only cost us 4M more than what Southampton payed for Long...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

slingerz wrote: »
    Reckon Mario is the sort to desire the hero worship from fans. He was never going to get that at the clubs he was at but if he fills the Suarez void he will get it at Liverpool

Rumours on twitter that Rodgers wants to bring in another striker as well which makes it seem like Borini is going

He's a lifetime Milan fan and was adored by the fans upon his arrival. If it was up to Balotelli he'd never have looked to leave but he is being sold and is probably happy to sign for Liverpool and play CL next year.

I expect to see him back in the red and black of Milan at some point in his career.
    garra wrote: »
    If all is the above is true, why are Milan only looking for Stg 17m? Why the fire-sale?
    They (Berlusconi) want him gone and with the lack of interest in him I guess it was a take it or leave it offer from Liverpool. The club being in disarray doesn't help things.

Hoping to see the money reinvested in a Jackson Martinez purchase but that's wishful thinking.
    kfallon wrote: »
    They've been happy to get rid of the likes of Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva and Pirlo in recent years too so getting rid of Balotelli doesn't suggest anything tbh

Different scenarios. They were done to balance the books. Thiago Silva garnered a massive transfer fee. Ibrahimovic was on monstrous wages - €12m after tax. Pirlo was not wanted by Allegri and wanted a new challenge after his career had become stale.

Balotelli is heading into his prime and is worth much more than £16m. It boggles the mind. They should've kept him until January and he'd have been worth much more regardless of how he played because he wouldn't have been CL cup-tied.

But the club is a shambles at the minute so it's not exactly a surprise to be conducting such poor business.
    Sure he was very good against england
    Awh I'm well aware, that's why I think Berlusconi was talking rubbish. He just wanted to get rid of him because he doesn't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Knex. wrote: »
    I bet Mario will get a song before Sturridge does, if he does sign.

He scores a goal and the kop goes wild and I just can't seem to get enough of

Doo doo doo doo do do do doo doo do do do do do

Ball-o-tell-i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Sky Sports News reporting that Liverpool want a ''Code of Conduct'' clause inserting in any contract that Mario signs.

• Advertisement

Needs to sign by noon to play Monday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Needs to sign by noon to play Monday..

Are you still hoping it falls through or have the saps on here convinced you to change your mind?

Are you still hoping it falls through or have the saps on here convinced you to change your mind?

Sure what can you do, you have to just roll with it.

Still serious questions over his mentality and work rate. I just can't picture him busting a gut week in week out.

I'm not sure he's a Rodgers signing tbh, more a moneyball committee signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

kfallon wrote: »
    They've been happy to get rid of the likes of Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva and Pirlo in recent years too so getting rid of Balotelli doesn't suggest anything tbh

I wonder if they think they can get a more classic goalscorer for the money they have received, like their players of old (Inzaghe, Crespo, Shevchenko, Ibra).

But to suggest they are getting rid for any behaviour issues is unfair, there have been no reports of him up to no good since going there.

I love this incident when at City, what's not to love?

"In December 2011, Balotelli broke a 48-hour curfew before City's game against Chelsea to go to a curry house, although he "was not drinking alcohol, signed autographs, posed for pictures with fellow diners and was involved in a mock sword-fight using rolling pins". :D:D

Still serious questions over his mentality and work rate. I just can't picture him busting a gut week in week out.

I agree, but I think when Rodgers sits down and plans his team, he can't be unhappy with having this option. Particularly in replacing Sturridge on a short or medium term basis, this is the perfect guy to lead the line. Similar in style and stature, so we don't need to reinvent ourselves when we make a change.

And opposition defences have something else to worry about!

Dickerty wrote: »
    I agree, but I think when Rodgers sits down and plans his team, he can't be unhappy with having this option. Particularly in replacing Sturridge on a short or medium term basis, this is the perfect guy to lead the line. Similar in style and stature, so we don't need to reinvent ourselves when we make a change.

And opposition defences have something else to worry about!

I have no doubt Rodgers would bench him if needs be.

I think I'd be more comfortable if we signed someone else as well, say Bony and sell Borini.

Imo then we'd have an incredible amount of options up front and could realistically challenge for major honours this season.

• Advertisement

I think I'd be more comfortable if we signed someone else as well, say Bony and sell Borini.

Imo then we'd have an incredible amount of options up front and could realistically challenge for major honours this season.

Suggestions that we are still going to go for Eto'o and let Borini go.
    But I'd be surprised...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Suggestions that we are still going to go for Eto'o and let Borini go.
    But I'd be surprised...

Sturridge, Ballotelli, Eto'o and Lambert would be decent.

Sturridge and Ballotelli generally miss chunks of the season so the backup is sufficient if they are both out at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Tbh I'd be happier to go for more midfield control (control not energy) next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Augmerson wrote: »
    (To the tune of Don't You Want Me by The Human League)

You were playing for Berlusconi in Serie A when we bought you
    We picked you out, spunked the cash and flew you around into John Lennon Airport

Now you're 24 years old you've got the world at your feet
    Success has been so easy for you
    But don't forget it's Brendan who believes in you now
    And we do too

MARIO BALOTELLI
    MARIO BAAALLOOTELLLLLI
    MARIO BALOTELLI
    MARIO BALLOTELLLLII

I really hope this takes offf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sure what can you do, you have to just roll with it.

Or it's a complete Rodgers ego signing to show how good a man manger he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I believe he's a Rodgers signing, otherwise having a player with the reputation of someone like Balotelli forced upon you is potential for a manager downing tools.

He wants him because he thinks it's a gamble worth taking, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

From the BBC website:
    08:32 Ben Smith:
    "Liverpool will resume talks with Mario Balotelli's representatives this morning over the terms of his proposed £16m move to Anfield.

"While his agent is in England, the player remains in Italy and will only travel to Merseyside for a medical if Liverpool get assurances today about Balotelli's commitment to training and off-field discipline, with the club insistent that various clauses be agreed to, in order to uphold his standards of behaviour.

"Liverpool are prepared to offer Balotelli a five-year deal worth just shy of £120,000 per week. But, I'm told it is very unlikely that the deal will be completed by noon today, meaning that he will not be eligible to make his debut against Manchester City on Monday."
    If he makes the trip to Manchester on Monday, he'll be watching the game from the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can't believe balo will be back in the Prem, I think Liverpool will be the perfect place for him, not a top club but they have enough ambition for any young talented and hungry player to go and make a name for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Can't believe balo will be back in the Prem, I think Liverpool will be the perfect place for him, not a top club but they have enough ambition for any young talented and hungry player to go and make a name for himself.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I believe he's a Rodgers signing, otherwise having a player with the reputation of someone like Balotelli forced upon you is potential for a manager downing tools.

He wants him because he thinks it's a gamble worth taking, simple as.

I agree. I believe last season cemented Rodgers as the main man in the club and what he says goes. I'd doubt he'd agree to this signing if he didn't believe that Mario wouldn't contribute to what he is trying to achieve.

I can understand why many are nervous and worried about the signing but tbh yesterday was like Christmas Day to me. I genuinely can't remember the last time I was so excited about a signing. I really hope this is done and dusted today and we can look forward to seen him in a Liverpool Jersey. We needed someone to compete with Sturridge, to play alongside him and we also needed a game-changer. Balotelli gives us all these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would imagine in Rodgers new contract he was given more control over transfers. Rodgers would not have someone like Balotelli forced on him, that is pure BS speculation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Yeah not a top club like the 4th place champions Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

One of the riskiest vanity projects I've ever witnessed. Huge upside and significant down-side, low transfer fee notwithstanding.

The pre-match press conference is at 2pm today. Should be interesting viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The Balotelli deal is far from done if we're looking for assurances to his commitment to training and off-field discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's actually top top top top top top TOP club FYI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Would you consider Arsenal to be a Top Club?

I am not sure there is such a thing as a Rodgers or non-Rodgers signing this summer. I would suspect that the likes of Moreno, Lovren and Lallana would have been his type of player. Lambert would have been a chance they came across. Can, Origi and Manquillo probably came from scouting reports over the last few years.

Balo is just them all sitting around saying "Milan will only sell, no loan - is it worth the risk for €20M?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think he is a Rodgers signing - taking a risk on players like Sturridge and Countinho have paid off. He knows that if Balotelli was a model pro he'd be valued at at least twice what we are paying for him.

He's got that 100% self-belief that all great strikers should have. He can score headers, taps in, free kicks and amazing shots from distance.

Would be interesting to see how he'd play in a 2 with Sturridge. It might work well. He's so big that he may distract defenders to give people like Sturridge and Sterling more space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bait, bait, bait :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Balotelli deal is far from done if we're looking for assurances to his commitment to training and off-field discipline.

Your reading too much into all this, this is all done already it wouldn't have gotten this far otherwise, he has a medical to pass that probably the last hurdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Great signing,He is going to have matured and if he Fell out of favour in Milan it will have brought him down to earth,joining a young team with his Great ability he might have a Hunger to win again

Todd Gack wrote: »
    I do like Johnny but he's well past his sell by date at this stage, it's not his age just the fact he doesn't bother to research any players ever bar those he happens to see in the premier league and reverts to spouting the same old nonsense i.e. re Balotelli
    I don't think he actually watches football games any more apart from when he's in the tv studio, if he does, he certainly doesn't pay any attention to them. He used to offer insights into the game, now his opinion is formed by tabloid headlines and media sound bites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Talisman wrote: »
    From the BBC website:
    If he makes the trip to Manchester on Monday, he'll be watching the game from the stands.

This deal will break down. Wait for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement