Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sigh, I'll have to do a trawl through. If I don't get around to it you can claim the point by default. :)

I'm sure there are a few Lloyd but there always is! Some people flip flop wildly others dont I'm only saying I personally haven't seen that wild shift in here.

I would bet the majority of people like myself are in the "This could be amazing, or a big mistake" category. I would also suggest a lot of these people are coming around to the transfer because of the rumoured fee of 16m. At that price this transfer is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

garra wrote: »
    In fairness LL was one of the few people making a case for signing Balo.

In defence of those people who were anti-Balo last week/month - of which I am one - we must ask what we should do as supporters of the club when they make a decision we don't instantly like.

Do we steadfastly stick to our opinion and make a case for proving ourselves correct on a message board for the next few years?

Or do we roll in behind the club's management team and accept that the boy has talent, will undoubtedly excite and exasperate us, and enjoy the ride?

Like everything else in life, you should formulate and express your opinions and change them when new evidence or data makes holding them an untenable position. Blind faith should rarely be your driver imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rarnes1 wrote: »
    As someone posted last night, it's low risk financially. Even if he flopped at Liverpool, you'd still get a good few million for him. A success and you'll make nice money on him. At £16m, he could be considered cheap in comparison to aother strikers on the move this summer. Definately a moneyball signing imo.

Even if he wasn't a Rodgers target doesn't mean it won't work.

This is a big concern I'd have over every Liverpool signing. If Balotelli isn't what rodgers wants, I don't see how it works out. Has any 'transfer committee' type signing not been ostracised/left out/not picked...

Assaidi, Aspas, Alberto. I don't know why Alberto wasn't played more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    hopefully it is completed soon so we can stop worrying about another Remy situation.

Somewhere, there is pictures of Remy getting Zaffed, giving the shirtless thumbs up, but they will never be seen...

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know why Alberto wasn't played more.

Because he physically wasn't ready for it. Didn't retain the ball well, doesn't have the pace to get out of trouble. He needs to learn to use his body better, like Allen does (very good for a small guy). That will give him the time to be creative...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Patrick Roberts the next target.
    Felix Magath said of of the 17-year-old: "Liverpool are looking.

"He will develop to the Premier League and I believe he’ll be a national player for England in the next year. How fast he’ll develop, nobody knows, but his skill is incredible."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-roberts-liverpools-radar-7655480

8-10 wrote: »
    There was from me! He was a genuinely exciting signing and on the road to being World Class. Sturridge I was completely wrong on, wasn't overly impressed at the time.

I really didn't know much about Suarez, but he looked impressive in highlight reels, but I always thought Sturridge would come good played as a central striker.
    Glad we figured that out and not Chelsea!

Patrick Roberts the next target.

Do an Origi on that, buy now and loan back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kess73 wrote: »
    Must admit that I am really torn on the whole Mario thing. He would have been on no list of mine, and I would see him as a big gamble.

The guy has some wonderful physical qualities, and he is not lacking in terms of skill either, but mentally you can never know which Mario you are going to get from game to game. He seems to go between fully focussed and mentally checked out with very little inbetween.

I know Pirlo has spoken quite a bit about him of late, and has said that he has seen massive changes in Mario over the past two years in terms of maturity, and I know a lot of his really mad stuff happened between the ages of 18 and 22. But he is a player that I don't know whether to be optimistic about or worried about.

It is very easy to see a best case scenario and it is just as easy to see a worst case one. But like his form on the pitch, it is very hard to see a nice medium between those two scenarios.

I think he will be loved very easily early doors if he arrives, and that he will start like a house on fire. But after that are we going to see another Collymore on the pitch?

On paper so much works

Fast, strong, tall, skillful. He is very marketable, and would probably retain a high percentage of his value even if he were to flop.

He has the height of Andy Carroll but comes with far more pace and strength. He has the sort of skills that Sturridge has, and can play in any of the attacking roles. He will attempt trhe unthinkable on the pitch and will succeed at time, so he brings a little of the unpredictable that Suarez did.

He really should be a monster of a player. A guy whose beast mode should terrify teams.

But it all comes back to one thing when we are talking about Mario. His mentality.

At £16m is he worth a gamble? I think he might well be. Hell when you look at some of the prices that very average front men went for this summer then he looks cheap.

If he does arrive one thing is certain. Rodgers and Peters had better be bringing their A game to the Mario party.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about this transfer. I stated the other day I would prefer someone else if we could get them but there is one thing for sure and that is we are better team with Balotelli in it as things stand.

As the bolded bit above states, he will bring that bit of unpredictability and pull teams out of shape. This is what Suarez did so well and one of the reasons we could score so much. I have a feeling Mario and Sturridge will link up well together.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    Because he physically wasn't ready for it. Didn't retain the ball well, doesn't have the pace to get out of trouble. He needs to learn to use his body better, like Allen does (very good for a small guy). That will give him the time to be creative...

He played in what...4-5 games? 1 or 2 starts? Allen was given a lot more time to get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

This is a player who will not be our best striker. Let's not get carried away.

Sterling and Sturridge are the first 2 names on our attacking teamsheet and will remain so imo. Balotelli has a lot to prove.

Mario, if he can fulfil his potential, could well be our best striker, or at least or best attacker.

The age profile and potential of our attacking options is scary good at the moment. Exciting times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I'll hold my hands up and say that I was very much against a move for Balotelli when these rumours started surfacing given the baggage that comes with him.

Now that this transfer appears to be materialising I'm tending to focus more on the pros of the situation rather than the cons.

How Balotelli performs/behaves could will be the difference between us making top 4 or not

LL you don't have to trawl through previous posts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I really didn't know much about Suarez, but he looked impressive in highlight reels, but I always thought Sturridge would come good played as a central striker.
    Glad we figured that out and not Chelsea!

Thought it was hilarious mourinho last season complaining about not having a striker. Err, you sold or loaned them all out mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Got the impression from watching him that stamina might have been an issue .

He seemed to be able to get himself into good positions, and he appeared to be good at using the ball in a quick, efficient and low key manner, but he also seemed to be puffing out his cheeks after a few minutes play a la Joe Cole.

Don't see him making it with us tbh because those that are ahead of him in the squad seem to be far better than him (far more advanced at the very least) and are for the most part fairly young also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Like everything else in life, you should formulate and express your opinions and change them when new evidence or data makes holding them an untenable position. Blind faith should rarely be your driver imo.

"Blind faith" (or in this case lack of faith in Balo's mentality) has given way to my desire to back the management team's decision, taking into account:
    a) They actually work at football and might know what they are doing
    b) They would be more informed about the player's state of mind than I could possibly be.
    c) They have been successful at this type of signing already (Sturridge) so they have form in this regard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And not forgetting the youffs! (I am surprised at you, but I know it's not the point you were trying to make)

Rossiter
    Brad Smith
    Lloyd Jones
    McLaughlin
    Phillips
    Chirivella
    Trickett-Smith
    Jordan Williams
    Sinclair
    Kent
    Wilson
    Ojo
    And the Paddys, Cleary and O'Hanlon!

Yes, a lot of them won't make it, but there is a LOT of talent there, and a lot of focus on youth team training and development. Like Sterling, any one of these coming through is a HUGE boost.

Frankly Its getting a bit worrying as one suspects the club will scratch its head at some point and maybe pick out 4 or 5 players hoping they targeted the rights ones to promote seriously as others reach 19/20 are moved on. I reckon there is probably a player who will be sent out on loan get sold to that club and end up being a huge success somewhere la Pogba/Pique/Rossi (Utd do have form!)

You didn't even mention Jordan Lussey, Jack Dunn, Cameron Brannagan, Herbie Kane and Samil Yesil which shows the talent pool (though its notable how few of them are defenders and "proper" strikers)

He played in what...4-5 games? 1 or 2 starts? Allen was given a lot more time to get it right.

So all players should be given the same amount of time to impress? I think it was obvious to anyone who was watching Alberto's few performances that he would not make it in a Rodgers team due to his lack of mobility, it's baffling to me that others cannot see that.

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho
    #LFC talks with Balotelli agent have reached successful conclusion. Player will now fly into UK this afternoon to begin medical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

But Lloyd said Liverpool would mess it up, I'm so terribly confused :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Ok, I'm gonna perform a flip flop myself, what can I say I'm fickle.

I didn't want him but didn't believe we were in for him, now that it looks imminent I want to jump on board the positivity express and I am rather excited at the idea of it.

I just hope he buys into the idea of playing for BR and Liverpool and we wont have too many games where he's poncing around the place looking like a walking red card, I guess I trust that if BR thinks he can do a job then that's good enough for me.

There you go Lloyd, save you a bit of trawling.

I'm a sheep baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

0028673 wrote: »
    Would you consider Arsenal to be a Top Club?

Should be asking Turty, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Lloyd are you seriously taking bets on the Mario deal being completed? How on earth are you accepting even money bets? It's quite clearly on, and whilst not yet signed and sealed, it's clearly more than 50%. I'll gladly take some action if it's on offer.

On a football note, do people think therell be any more signings? Realistically id say there won't, though I think we're still in need of a gk and a cm. It's been a very good window so far, if we addressed those two issues it'd be a great one. In dreamland, id love us to pursue khedira and cech, realistically id be happy enough with romero and song, though I won't be surprised or overly disappointed if we don't sign anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

At least I hold opinions. The lads on here who were decrying Balotelli from a height last week as a terrible signing we wouldn't need (because the club would never be in for him) and acting giddy with excitement yesterday (now that we appear to be in for him) are soft. I'd hate to be so weak minded and passive as to blithely accept whatever it is the club are doing at the present time and always argue the positives of same. Sheep!

No apologies here anyway. Let's hope I'm wrong and we reel in the most exciting acquisition we've made since Suarez was signed three and a half years ago.

I can hold my hands up and say I was one of the poster against signing him a couple of weeks ago. But I based that on the idea of spending £30m on him. I still have my reservations about what effect he's going to have and it is still a gamble, but for the price muted it's a gamble I can accept.

I can hold my hands up and say I was one of the poster against signing him a couple of weeks ago. But I based that on the idea of spending £30m on him. I still have my reservations about what effect he's going to have and it is still a gamble, but for the price muted it's a gamble I can accept.

Whether we pay £16m or £30m on him shouldn't matter to us the fans.That's with the LFC accountants to worry about. What should matter is whether you (or anyone) believes that he can make a difference.

He's still the same player regardless of price paid for him

garra wrote: »
    So all players should be given the same amount of time to impress? I think it was obvious to anyone who was watching Alberto's few performances that he would not make it in a Rodgers team due to his lack of mobility, it's baffling to me that others cannot see that.

If it was that obvious, why was he signed, did he develop a lack of mobility just at Liverpool? How can people watching 4-5 games make that long-term judgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Still favorite's to land eto also. Sturridge balotelli eto and Lambert as our four recognised striker is very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Whether we pay £16m or £30m on him shouldn't matter to us the fans.That's with the LFC accountants to worry about. What should matter is whether you (or anyone) believes that he can make a difference.

Overpaying affects our ability to buy more players in the future so it does matter. Andy Carroll might have been a good signing at £10m (and sold on to WHU at a profit). He was a disaster at £35m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads to me this is the equivalent of (years ago) scoring with a girl who came from a dodgy family, scared you senseless but was exciting all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Watch out Llyod, with Turty not around it looks like The Doughboy has you in his sights

finger-gun_mr-bean_9965.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

MR NINE wrote: »
    On a football note, do people think therell be any more signings? Realistically id say there won't, though I think we're still in need of a gk and a cm. It's been a very good window so far, if we addressed those two issues it'd be a great one. In dreamland, id love us to pursue khedira and cech, realistically id be happy enough with romero and song, though I won't be surprised or overly disappointed if we don't sign anyone

We have signed 7 players for the first team/squad. 8 with Balotelli. & all of them are exciting signings with good potential. No obvious duds (this is a huge point for me)

We have done the most business by far in the premier league, & possibly the most of anyone in the top european leagues.

We have spent the Suarez money & then some. & then some more. If the outgoings in the next few weeks go as expected we may actually end up breaking even on the window with a much stronger pool of players to call on.

I think we have had an amazing window all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Well it does matter to me, that's a difference of £14m that will be spent elsewhere. £16m also means that if all fails and he has to be moved on next season, it's likely that we'll recoup at least half of what we spent. That wouldn't be the case if we spent £30m on him.

It's an educated gamble, basically the opposite of what Carroll was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When these rumours surfaced i was cringing at the thought of another trouble maker with talent.
    But the lad has potential, most people grow up to an extent at some stage,maybe BR is the man for that task?
    Either way im trying to be positive simply because i have faith in BR but it is however pretty concerning to read Jonny Giles claim BR doesnt want Balotelli.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/john-giles-brendan-rodgers-should-walk-away-if-balotelli-signs-for-liverpool-30528233.html

razorblunt wrote: »
    Lads to me this is the equivalent of (years ago) scoring with a girl who came from a dodgy family, scared you senseless but was exciting all the same!

It really isn't. Stop it!

If it was that obvious, why was he signed, did he develop a lack of mobility just at Liverpool? How can people watching 4-5 games make that long-term judgement

Can't answer as to why he was signed. In our current setup, Coutinho is the closest player to Alberto in terms of offensive role. But Coutinho is better able to hold the ball and make space for himself and is also better at closing down opposition and will get stuck in. None of that was apparent in Alberto, nor even the desire to do those things. He will be a very good La Liga player but does not fit at LFC.

Watching 4-5 games is enough to see the above.

Overpaying affects our ability to buy more players in the future so it does matter. Andy Carroll might have been a good signing at £10m (and sold on to WHU at a profit). He was a disaster at £35m

I'm fairly clued in on the basics of how money works!! :pac:

If you have an opinion a player won't work for the club the price shouldn't matter.

I think Ballotelli will be a dispruptive influence at the club and his attitude stinks. I'd still think the same if he was available for £1m

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/08/22/balotelli-tells-liverpool-fans-he-has-matured-while-urinating-from-helicopter/

Not sure if someone has put it up or not..

Really looking forward to seen Mario in Red.

You just can't beat Mario for Entertainment.

Dcully wrote: »
    When these rumours surfaced i was cringing at the thought of another trouble maker with talent.
    But the lad has potential, most people grow up to an extent at some stage,maybe BR is the man for that task?
    Either way im trying to be positive simply because i have faith in BR but it is however pretty concerning to read Jonny Giles claim BR doesnt want Balotelli.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/john-giles-brendan-rodgers-should-walk-away-if-balotelli-signs-for-liverpool-30528233.html

That "article" is an idiocy. The most stupid bit being that Rodgers should or would leave the best job he'll ever have in football (unless Barca/Real call!). As for Rodgers quote from before the Milan game, meh. Managers say things like that often enough over a career. I recall Sir Fergies thoughts on Madrid and the sale of a virus.

If you have an opinion a player won't work for the club the price shouldn't matter.

I think Ballotelli will be a dispruptive influence at the club and his attitude stinks. I'd still think the same if he was available for £1m

I get ya rarnes but price is important. I know little about transfer strategy but i would bet that BR/FSG/Transfer committee done at least some risk assessment on Mario and price would have definitely been factored in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Does anyone hope that the supposed clause for 'good behavior' in his contract is media bullsh!t? It's the way Mario is made up

I feel it sets out a trust issue from the start.

Most of his reported off field stuff was made up anyway, like the paying for fuel at the garage, driving the kid to school to meet his bully, high fiving everyone in Manchester city centre etc. Even the fireworks in the bathroom incident was reported with a lot a bullsh!t added.

His on field disciplinary problems can be sorted with a bit of man management, no need for a contract clause

Anyway, Welcome to Liverpool Mario. Stay true to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lloyd are you seriously taking bets on the Mario deal being completed? How on earth are you accepting even money bets? It's quite clearly on, and whilst not yet signed and sealed, it's clearly more than 50%. I'll gladly take some action if it's on offer.

I'm a fish. Not going to ask for odds on a tenner. Plus, getting to needle AJ would make up in part for the disappointment of not getting Balotelli. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

The move is a done deal according to his agent on instagram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's an extreme example, to be fair.

For most people with most transfers, they make sense at a certain fee and no sense at another certain fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Watch out Llyod, with Turty not around it looks like The Doughboy has you in his sights

finger-gun_mr-bean_9965.jpg

Is turty gone forever like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

razorblunt wrote: »
    NukaCola wrote: »
    It really isn't. Stop it!

it's clearly more like sitting on a warm toilet you sap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think me and LL are roughly quits on these sort of bets over the years anyway, so shed no tears for his impending inevitable loss.
    I shall purchase a nice deep dark red Italian wine with his €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

gafferino wrote: »

Don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mario on the move :P

Bvo4UwNCcAA-QtG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

gafferino wrote: »

he's back around the same time as Suarez i think. im not sure who i miss more tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

skywalker wrote: »
    We have signed 7 players for the first team/squad. 8 with Balotelli. & all of them are exciting signings with good potential. No obvious duds (this is a huge point for me)

We have done the most business by far in the premier league, & possibly the most of anyone in the top european leagues.

We have spent the Suarez money & then some. & then some more. If the outgoings in the next few weeks go as expected we may actually end up breaking even on the window with a much stronger pool of players to call on.

I think we have had an amazing window all things considered.

I agree we've done some very good business, but I can't call a window where we lost Suarez an amazing window. I'm not complaining, I'm happy with the business the club has done and there wasn't much that could he done about losing Suarez, but our first 11 is weaker and we've lost our best ever player (in my lifetime) so it's not quite an amazing window for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Whether we pay £16m or £30m on him shouldn't matter to us the fans.That's with the LFC accountants to worry about.

Ask Leeds or Portsmouth fans if they agree with you that the finances of the club are of no interest or relevance to the fans :rolleyes:

Ben

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement