Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP 28/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

"Two years ago we couldn't have brought in such a character because we didn't have the culture in place but we have that now and every player coming into the club knows what is expected of them."

"This will probably be seen as our biggest transfer window for a couple of years."

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Cant find the presser on lfc.tv. Was in the news section a few minutes ago but its gone now..

If anyone is watching it can you post a link

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If Balotelli scores 15 PL goals he will be signing of the season.

Not when Markovic has 20 and 15 assists, and Lovren is the new Sami...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Aspas's Twitter was hacked :D

vAtvph5.jpg

No need for that

Hope it's not a Liverpool fan who did it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just as a matter of interest what would Balotelli need to do to make the move a "success"?

20 goals in all competitions would be an excellent return for his first season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

rob316 wrote: »

And would be a massive shock to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

"Lazar Markovic is back in the squad for Monday. Adam Lallana is in the latter stages of his rehabilitation. Adam Lallana will train with the team on Sunday. We've now got to get him up to match speed. We'll see how Jose Enrique does, Daniel Agger and Jon Flanagan are still out."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Great passage from Pirlo about Balotelli & the struggles hes faced with racist fans in Italy. Very sad if hes moving to get away from them.

http://www.backpagepress.co.uk/news/blog/pirlo-on-balotelli/
    We need Mario Balotelli. I’m not sure he really appreciates it yet, but he’s a special kind of medicine, an antidote to the potentially lethal poison of the racists you find in Italian grounds.

They’re a truly horrendous bunch, a herd of frustrated individuals who’ve taken the worst of history and made it their own. And they’re more than just a minority, despite what certain mealy-mouthed spin doctors would have you believe. Those guys would use a fire extinguisher to put out a match.

Whenever I see Mario at an Italy training camp, I’ll give him a big smile. It’s my way of letting him know that I’m right behind him and that he mustn’t give up. A gesture that means ‘thank you’.

He’s often targeted and insulted by opposition fans. Let’s say that the way he goes about his business perhaps doesn’t help him get much love, but I’m still convinced that if he was white, people would leave him in peace.

‘Jump up high so Balotelli dies’ is an unspeakable chant that, sadly, I’ve heard at the Juventus Stadium amongst other places. Even worse are the monkey noises that I’ve listened to pretty much everywhere.

But instead of depressing Mario, moronic behaviour of that kind actually seems to fire him up. He won’t let this human trash get their way, and it’s the most intelligent response because if you listen to what a stupid person says, you elevate them to the position of interlocutor. If you simply ignore them (still acknowledging that, unfortunately, they exist) you’re leaving them to stew in their own polluted sea: one where there are no friends and no shore. The good news is that even sharks can die of loneliness after a while.

Cesare Prandelli gave us national team players some firm direction on the matter. “If you hear people in the stands disrespecting Mario, run over to him and hug him.” In that way, hate can be cancelled out by an equivalent dose of love.

Not a fashionable choice, but a pretty forceful idea.

I’m happy that Mario is the way he is. He’ll react (wrongly) to provocation on the pitch, but doesn’t let what’s going on in the crowd affect him. If he scores, he might put his finger to his lips to mock the opposition fans, something that really infuriates them, but if they tell him he’s got the wrong colour of skin he’ll simply laugh in their faces. He makes complete fools of them and emerges a convincing winner. The way I see it, he’s capable of becoming a symbol of the fight against racism, both in Italy and throughout the world.

In terms of footballing ability, Mario’s class is unquestionable. I’d have happily seen him end up in a Juventus shirt. Top players are in a position of real strength, in that they can basically pick their club.

Kess Im assuming this is ok? Apologies if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

rob316 wrote: »

I think the most he's ever scored in one season is 14 if I'm right, so 20 would be more than excellent! If he hits double figures in his first season I'd view it as a success (assuming he still turns up for those games he doesn't score in!).

J.

Edit: Sorry, that's 14 League Goals, it's 18 in all Comps. I'd still be happy with double figures in the league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Im still not happy about him.
    But he'll still have my support regardless, obviously.

Is there anything else on Eto'o ?? Or was he back up to Balo not joining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Markovic and Moreno available for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lovely, cant wait to see Moreno.
    hopefully thats Johnson dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

gafferino wrote: »
    "Lazar Markovic is back in the squad for Monday. Adam Lallana is in the latter stages of his rehabilitation. Adam Lallana will train with the team on Sunday. We've now got to get him up to match speed. We'll see how Jose Enrique does, Daniel Agger and Jon Flanagan are still out."

Whats up with Enrique now? Thought he played a bit in pre season

Whats up with Enrique now? Thought he played a bit in pre season

Sprained thumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sprained thumb

RSI
    Repetitive Selfie Injury

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    RFI
    Repetitive FIFA Injury

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

skywalker wrote: »
    Great passage from Pirlo about Balotelli & the struggles hes faced with racist fans in Italy. Very sad if hes moving to get away from them.

Kess Im assuming this is ok? Apologies if not.

The level of racism targeted at him in his 18 months at Milan was horrendous, but that's not why he's leaving.

Any developments on the transfer? As far as I'm aware he's on his way over to the UK atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Looks like Borini's ship to Sunderland is sailing, he better get on board quick - Poyet is interested in Wellbeck allegedly.

https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/502820284093980672

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The level of racism targeted at him in his 18 months at Milan was horrendous, but that's not why he's leaving.

Any developments on the transfer? As far as I'm aware he's on his way over to the UK atm.

That site linked to about the press conference said pretty soon, thought twitter would have pics by now though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I reckon once the Balotelli deal is done, borini will be straight off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Talisman wrote: »
    Looks like Borini's ship to Sunderland is sailing, he better get on board quick - Poyet is interested in Wellbeck allegedly.

https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/502820284093980672

Read that yesterday, I'd be surprised they'd sell Welbeck tbh, decent squad option anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Sturridge and Balotelli combined cost us 1.02 Fellainis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While I'd say its not the only reason, it's probably a big factor.

Notice he isn't going off to Russia or Spain but back to England where racism in football quite minor, not overt at all and behind closed doors.....and via text message apparently. There are never any monkey chants in England and the fans are a lot more appreciative of their players than elsewhere in Europe. Liverpool fans particularly idolise their players and usually back them to the hilt. It's a fantastic club to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone wrote: »

Studge, Balo, Lambert, Coutinho and Sterling all for less than one Ozil.

I am sure you could do the same with Lallana, compare to some of Arsenal's better signings.

And not much point in including Sterling, he was a youth signing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Or 3 quarters of Andy Carroll, going by your measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Could anyone recommend a good pub to watch the city match in Liverpool? Have found myself over there for the night, any help greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

How much was Andy Carroll again? :D

Dickerty wrote: »
    I am sure you could do the same with Lallana, compare to some of Arsenal's better signings.

And not much point in including Sterling, he was a youth signing...

Still cost 1.5m and shows how good Liverpool were to get him. When did Arsenal last bring through such an attacking talent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Peist2007 wrote: »

£2 million. I remember because it was the same week Suarez was bought for £55 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

1.27 fellainis
    Still cost 1.5m and shows how good Liverpool were to get him. When did Arsenal last bring through such an attacking talent?

Fabregas?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

.7 of a torres:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Or

Studge, Balo, Lambert, Coutinho and Sterling all for less than one Andy Carroll
    or half a Stewart Downing & Aquilani! Can through a Robbie Keane in there too.

although Sterling shouldnt be in that list he was a youth signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yeah, to be fair, Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Szczezny, RVP, Fabregas and Henry cost Arsenal around the same as one Joe Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If your counting Sterling as brought through then

Wilshire
    Walcott
    Ox

edited to include Chez and Fabragas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We just naming random footballers now?

So all in all - sometimes you do great deals, sometimes terrible. Only results matter in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

garra wrote: »
    Or 3 quarters of Andy Carroll, going by your measurements.
    jimmymal wrote: »
    .7 of a torres:D:D:D

Right. I'm convinced. No more transfers dealing with money. Only player trades. Not all players are of equal value though......I'll have to call in Dr nick.

Dr-nick-riviera1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I genuinely don't know what our best team is this season, and that is exciting. The team below doesn't even include Lallana, Sakho or Markovic.

Sturridge
    Balotelli
    Sterling
    Coutiniho
    ----Henderson
    Gerrard

Moreno--Lovren--Skrtel---Manquillo

Mingolet

Options: Lambert, Lallana, Can, Allen, Flanagan, Johnson, Agger, Toure, Enrique, Ibe, Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We just naming random footballers now?

Christ Bongo, Brian Pinas and Creedence Clearwater Couto (really, that's his name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

After Skrtel's showing last week I'd love to see Sakho come in against City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bit of a d#ck measuring contest going on in here:)

Soups123 wrote: »
    If your counting Sterling as brought through then

Wilshire
    Walcott
    Ox

edited to include Chez and Fabragas

Wilshire has done almost nothing yet.

Walcott, cost 5m rising to 12.5m You know he's 24 soon and only just found his shooting boots.

Ox - Cost 12m to buy and hasn't actually done that much yet. Not dissing him but if you asked me who I'd have - Sterling every time (or Ibe in 18 months)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a good pub to watch the city match in Liverpool? Have found myself over there for the night, any help greatly appreciated!

Head up around Anfield and soak up the atmosphere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

irishgeo wrote: »
    Head up around Anfield and soak up the atmosphere

I wouldn't expect much considering the match is on in Manchester :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Walcott, cost 5m rising to 12.5m You know he's 24 soon and only just found his shooting boots.

Ox - Cost 12m to buy and hasn't actually done that much yet. Not dissing him but if you asked me who I'd have - Sterling every time (or Ibe in 18 months)

As apposed to Sterling who has had half a good season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Does anyone really care?

Sterling was a great find, every manager and team gets them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As apposed to Sterling who has had half a good season?

He was excellent for half a season when he first broke into the first team. He was also excellent for more than half of last season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement